• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Is Cam Newton Mediocre to Below-Average?

Oldschool739

It's my Country, Flag, Bible, Gun. Don't try it !
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, every QB does make plays, but RW not only makes plays, but aside from his pick to seal it for NE...he rarely makes the game altering mistake and that might be his biggest quality. I'm not one of these guys that think ANY QB would've done the same thing with SEA, but I also recognize that RW is not asked to carry the team week in week out.

Very true, and no qb should have to nor can.....It takes a balanced team to win it all in this league, either the O picks up the slack of the D or visa versa to get that balance....Or you have the perfect balanced team that you seldom see in the NFL.....
But teams that are way worse on one side or the other get exposed, ala our secondary in the NE game where we had 2, 14 point leads and lost the game....Our O put up 31 points but the secondary was too weak to stop Brady's O from putting up 35....Unbalance loses games !!:nod:

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it's a work ethic/attitude thing holding Cam back. He gets super arrogant/cocky if the team is winning and granted plays pretty well when that's happening but when his team is losing (not even losing by like 30 points, just losing by a couple scores) he seems to get super rattled/intimidated and all mopey on the sideline.

He's like Jay Cutler but gets happy/excited at times. Otherwise he's on the sideline with a towel over his head looking like he's gonna cry or something. You see the better QBs all go back and immediately surround themselves around their offense while hitting the playbook with a coach or WR.

I think if Cam stopped the whole Superman/arrogant attitude and studied harder so he wasn't relying solely on his athletic ability, he could be one of the greats. I think it's too far gone though, he's been in the league 4 years and is 26 in a couple weeks. If you haven't matured in some of these areas by now, you may never. His running is okay but not AS effective as it used to be and had a HUGE fumble to carry ratio last year. He fumbled 11.6% of his carries. Yah he doesn't have much receivers, but Benjamin had a decent season and Olsen is a top 5 TE.

I think Cam is 'average' but he could be above/borderline elite if he upped his mental IQ and corrected his attitude.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it's a work ethic/attitude thing holding Cam back. He gets super arrogant/cocky if the team is winning and granted plays pretty well when that's happening but when his team is losing (not even losing by like 30 points, just losing by a couple scores) he seems to get super rattled/intimidated and all mopey on the sideline.

He's like Jay Cutler but gets happy/excited at times. Otherwise he's on the sideline with a towel over his head looking like he's gonna cry or something. You see the better QBs all go back and immediately surround themselves around their offense while hitting the playbook with a coach or WR.

I think if Cam stopped the whole Superman/arrogant attitude and studied harder so he wasn't relying solely on his athletic ability, he could be one of the greats. I think it's too far gone though, he's been in the league 4 years and is 26 in a couple weeks. If you haven't matured in some of these areas by now, you may never. His running is okay but not AS effective as it used to be and had a HUGE fumble to carry ratio last year. He fumbled 11.6% of his carries. Yah he doesn't have much receivers, but Benjamin had a decent season and Olsen is a top 5 TE.

I think Cam is 'average' but he could be above/borderline elite if he upped his mental IQ and corrected his attitude.

Best post in this thread...spot on.

I think the OFC they ran contributed a little to that superman BS, cocky attitude.

He is what he is now...yes and no...I've seen 3 QBs that probably played their best football after they were in the league 3 or 4 years and they actually changed the way they played due to coaching.

Steve Young, SF...Randall Cunningham, MIN...Mike Vick, PHI (only Vick's body could no longer handle the hits when he got to PHI).

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shoot lots of teams would be glad to have Cam Newton. I'm not saying he's great or even good. IMO it's still up for debate, but lots of other "starting QBs" are awful. OK maybe not lots, but I sure can think of some. On top of that, several of the good QBs are old dogs. If I was a GM in need of a QB and had a chance to sign CN, I'd most likely would do it.

Dude

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,999.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cam needs to stop putting that stupid towel on his head and stop brooding. He is an outstanding athlete that deserves more - his agent may have something to do with it. Hey Cam, you got the money and the spotlight and deserve a team that doesn't put it all on your shoulders. Go for it, you still young!

FantasyBelowZero

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Exactly.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shoot lots of teams would be glad to have Cam Newton. I'm not saying he's great or even good. IMO it's still up for debate, but lots of other "starting QBs" are awful. OK maybe not lots, but I sure can think of some. On top of that, several of the good QBs are old dogs. If I was a GM in need of a QB and had a chance to sign CN, I'd most likely would do it.

Agreed...I went thru all 32 teams and imo there are roughly 14 QBs that I would take ahead of CN. That leaves quite a few teams that he would be an upgrade to the current QB.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have only seen you say he's got the easiest job in the league, which I think is 1000% bullshit. And that's your reason for disliking him, because he wins? Okay...whatever.

I don't dislike the guy. I don't care that his team wins and he's there too. I just said he has the easiest job in the league, which he does.

BTW, "We" equals me and the rest of the smart people.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't dislike the guy. I don't care that his team wins and he's there too. I just said he has the easiest job in the league, which he does.

BTW, "We" equals me and the rest of the smart people.

No you are still the only person saying this that I have seen. So basically what you're saying is you'd rather have Sam Bradford, Mark Sanchez & Tim Tebow in Philly rather than Wilson right now correct? If so that's insane.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No you are still the only person saying this that I have seen. So basically what you're saying is you'd rather have Sam Bradford, Mark Sanchez & Tim Tebow in Philly rather than Wilson right now correct? If so that's insane.

LOL where did I say that? Although if Bradford stays healthy it would be impossible for him to throw for less yards than Wilson. Eagles almost had Wilson in that draft anyway. Not too upset about it.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL where did I say that? Although if Bradford stays healthy it would be impossible for him to throw for less yards than Wilson. Eagles almost had Wilson in that draft anyway. Not too upset about it.

Oh I'm saying that you actually said that, was just asking a question.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Very true, and no qb should have to nor can.....It takes a balanced team to win it all in this league, either the O picks up the slack of the D or visa versa to get that balance....Or you have the perfect balanced team that you seldom see in the NFL.....
But teams that are way worse on one side or the other get exposed, ala our secondary in the NE game where we had 2, 14 point leads and lost the game....Our O put up 31 points but the secondary was too weak to stop Brady's O from putting up 35....Unbalance loses games !!:nod:

Balance...very true Oldschool...even in this pass happy era of the NFL...you must have balance to get it done...I was looking at the SB winners and the majority of those teams were in the top 10 or 12 in running and passing and they had a solid DEF.

BAL vs NE...yeah...the back 4 was simply not up to the task, but I also think the DL (imo the strength of that team) was not able to get much pressure on Brady late...much like SEA in the SB...they got pressure, but couldn't sustain it, and the secondary was exposed.

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cam Newton is the highest paid NON-playoff winning QB in history. I wonder if he can break the 20 touchdown passes barrier this year?

Where did you get this info ? Because, off the top of my head, Stafford makes a lot more than Newton.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ravens lost the game because your vaunted defense could not beat the Pats O-line. Ngata didn't do shit and you got rid of him!
You had balance The offense was not as good as NE and the defense was not as good as NE!

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are lots of mediocre QBs who throw for yardage. You're lost in the sauce on pretty much every topic at the top of this board right now.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed...I went thru all 32 teams and imo there are roughly 14 QBs that I would take ahead of CN. That leaves quite a few teams that he would be an upgrade to the current QB.
Sounds about right. Newton is definitely well below the top guys but certainly a cut above the starters with more limited ability or inexperience.

Oldschool739

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ravens lost the game because your vaunted defense could not beat the Pats O-line. Ngata didn't do shit and you got rid of him!
You had balance The offense was not as good as NE and the defense was not as good as NE!

Did Suggs or Ray, jilt your mother or something, Sparky ? You really are a buffoon....
Our D-line was destroying your Oline the whole first half and Brady came out with some trick plays and quick outs to expose our injury depleted secondary to win that game by a frog hair....
Anyone with the IQ of a snail could see and acknowledge that, but I guess you're still sore over your momma...:nono:

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did Suggs or Ray, jilt your mother or something, Sparky ? You really are a buffoon....
Our D-line was destroying your Oline the whole first half and Brady came out with some trick plays and quick outs to expose our injury depleted secondary to win that game by a frog hair....
Anyone with the IQ of a snail could see and acknowledge that, but I guess you're still sore over your momma...:nono:
That explains why I don't see things your way.
Sorry about your IQ situation - you can't help the way you were born.....

Oldschool739

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That explains why I don't see things your way.
Sorry about your IQ situation - you can't help the way you were born.....

Try Hooked on Phonics Corky, you're as dumb as your avatar looks....
tonythetiger.jpg