• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Is Cam Newton Mediocre to Below-Average?

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
It's halfway through Cam Newton's 4th year, and he's actually gotten worse since his rookie season. That's usually the case with running QBs that don't really improve on the little things & defenses figure out how to defend you (cough! Kaep! Cough). Let's look at his performance so far.

55 games & 57 combined interceptions & fumbles.
7.6 YPA and just under 60% completion percentage.
86.5 career passer rating in an era where the average keeps going up every season because of rule changes & pressure to call penalties.
0-1 in the postseason despite having home-field advantage. Threw 2 picks.

...I mean, that's not a terrible resume, but I don't think it's anywhere near good. It's probably even below average.

Is it too soon to say this about Cam Newton? Does he deserve more time before we can really know what he is as a QB?

Last edited by a moderator:

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it's fair to say that he has been quite average since his promising rookie season.

I thought it was also strange that Carolina turned over its entire group of WRs this past offseason. That certainly wasn't favorable to Cam. Benjamin looks as if he can be pretty special, so if they get another good receiver perhaps Cam can get better in the future.

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's halfway through Cam Newton's 4th year, and he's actually gotten worse since his rookie season. That's usually the case with running QBs that don't really improve on the little things & defenses figure out how to defend you (cough! Kaep! Cough). Let's look at his performance so far.

86.5 career passer rating in an era where the average keeps going up every season because of rule changes & pressure to call penalties.

...I mean, that's not a terrible resume, but I don't think it's anywhere near good. It's probably even below average.

Is it too soon to say this about Cam Newton? Does he deserve more time before we can really know what he is as a QB?

I would assume most Seahawk fans would agree that Cam makes a very pretty 1st down pose.
Other than that...meh.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really tough sum'bitch to bring down. Might be the toughest QB in the league to take down on the run, but overall? Average at best. I wouldn't have him in the top half of the league.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Living in this part of the country, I've seen Cam play 3 to 4 times per season since he's been in the league...I actually think he's a better QB now than when he came into to the league. he doesn't stare down his #1 read like he used to, he will go to his #2 if time permits, better accuracy on the timing throws now, but if the pocket breaks down, he still becomes a runner...if expectation was for him to become a Peyton Manning (I say that somewhat in jest), then the expectation was too high.

Average QB...he has above avg skills imo, but to be honest he is pretty much an average QB. The way they've built the team, I don't see how he could've become much more than that.

I just think these mobile QBs that came into the league and the OFC was built around them being part of the running game will never produce in the NFL like a QB that has been trained or groomed in a pro style OFC from their college days...even though the contracts will be similar...imo the grading scale has to be different.

IMO Cam is a notch below guys like Matt Ryan, Stafford...talent wise he's right there, but plays a different game.

Deacon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the biggest problem for Cam is there is nothing around him. They gave a ton of money to the RBs and they might be the worst in the league. Seriously, how many times in the last 4 yrs has Carolina had a back rush for 100yds in a game? They minimized Steve Smith as they thought he was over the hill and there was not another WR there worth their weight in salt.

Based on the results after they leave I can only assume there is a pretty significant lack of coaching up the players in Carolina. Branden Lafell was horrible in Carolina. He probably led the league in drops and was so inconsistent that he couldn't be counted on. Now he seems like a beast in NE. Smith is also having a renaissance in Baltimore.

It may all be Cam's fault but I don't see how those players have such a drastic change simply because the person throwing the ball to them changed.

Tharvot

Crusader for Truthiness
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's an average to above average NFL QB. The dynamic ability he has to take off and run separates him from other QBs who have been putting up passing numbers similar to him. You can win with him, but you'd better have a really stingy defense because he doesn't seem like a guy that's going to be lighting up the scoreboard frequently.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's an average to above average NFL QB.
Agreed. A guy you want in the red zone and to move the chains but not a guy you want with a bad surrounding cast.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed. A guy you want in the red zone and to move the chains but not a guy you want with a bad surrounding cast.

Exactly...use his legs when needed (to get 1st downs or scoring oppoortunities) vs when he wants to...he has the arm to make all the throws.

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's too emotional. When things are going good, he literally celebrates everything. When the deal goes bad, he's moping on the sidelines alone with the towel on his head.

sonnyblack65

Hoopla Cash
$ 40,000.79
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's too emotional. When things are going good, he literally celebrates everything. When the deal goes bad, he's moping on the sidelines alone with the towel on his head.

Stop it now or I'm taking my ball home you meanie - Cam

I do remember a game last year where his team was down 3 scores late, he scores a td and does that stupid Superman move. Do that in front of JJ Watts

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's just say he should drop the "superman" move

RobToxin

Roid Raging
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.08
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's safe to say the Panthers management hasn't done him any favors this season whatsoever.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't say he is mediocre. I would say he hasn't quite lived up to his draft pick...Which I mean how many 1st overall quarterbacks really do live up to the billing? Not many. I would say he is a top-15 quarterback though and worthy of starting in this league. His team though has not done him a whole lot of favors on the offensive side of the ball. They seem very content to focus on the defense (which is their head coaches specialty so it makes sense) and just lean upon Cam to make the offense go. Well it just doesn't quite work like that with many quarterbacks in this league.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He lost to Russell Wilson so yes.

Dolemite censored

Bigfoot is real
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Dallas Cowboys waited 11 years for Romo.

Carolina should do the same.

Last edited by a moderator:

STBR 27

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would assume most Seahawk fans would agree that Cam makes a very pretty 1st down pose.
Other than that...meh.

But hilarious when he does that stupid move and then they measure and it is short of the marker!! :pound:

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He was 10 for 28 last night ...that is a 35% completion ...It's not a typo

0 TD's and 1 Int (ints not really his fault.) 151 yards.

I think it will be very hard for Cam to stay in the NFL.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He was 10 for 28 last night ...that is a 35% completion ...It's not a typo

0 TD's and 1 Int (ints not really his fault.) 151 yards.

I think it will be very hard for Cam to stay in the NFL.

Not at that rate...but a big drop for a sure TD, and the pick off the WR hands didn't help.

IMO...I don't care what kind of OFC you ran in college..you've got to play like the big boy QBs do at the pro level and if you can't...you won't make it.