• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Is Baker Mayfield a Bust?

Is Baker Mayfield a Bust?

• Yes

Votes: 35 26.5%
  • No

Votes: 50 37.9%
  • Will tell you at the end of the season

Votes: 35 26.5%
  • Taters

Votes: 12 9.1%

• Total voters

Inquisitor95

Unexpected Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm guessing he would love to have Odell. It wouldn't make too much of a difference, I don't think, but Beckham would be getting his scoring chances, which is really what he cares about most.

And frankly, his value really is as the guy who makes the stunning one-handed TD grabs in the corner of the end zone. He's not a workhorse receiver

You're probably right.

But I'm satisfied with him being left in Cleveland to die.

BigRedMoe

Highly Polished Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
leather-bound-memes-from-week-5-in-the-nfl-xx-photos-4.jpg

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And Danny Dimes is throwing it deep.

The Browns oline is an issue, but nobody can complain about the talent around Baker. RB's, WR's... God I wish Kyler Murray had that talent around him.
Well, I am a Jarvis Landry is bad truther, but yeah, Baker should definitely be doing better, regardless of the situation. Lot of happy feet and jittery pocket presence this year from what I've seen. Dude does not trust his OT's at all.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Vernon and OBJ or Zeitler and Trent Williams
In a vacuum the former. Baker appears to probably benefit more from the latter insofar as I can tell. His pocket presence has really been poor in the games I've seen this year.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Baker is a work in process. There's a reason not too many QBs succeed so early in their careers, and teams are scheming against Baker's weaknesses now.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it is too early to call Mayfield a bust. He is not the first highly drafted QB to struggle early in his career.

TheRangerDude

(Dude/Dudeim)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's been labeled a superstar without earning it which isn't helping him. He was going way too early in fantasy drafts. He was ok last season but not great.

I'll give him till the end of the year.

michaeljordan_fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it is too early to call Mayfield a bust. He is not the first highly drafted QB to struggle early in his career.

Agree. Who can forget about Jamarcus Russell, David Carr, Tim Couch,etc..

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think this depends on the player. Some mature faster than others. There is no question Mayfield is immature so the decision to throw him into the fire could be questioned, although I don't know what other choice they had.

I am obviously closer to the Kyler Murray situation and in his case, he seems to be mature beyond his years. And, as you said, the coach and system fit his skill set.

Also, look at Russell Wilson. He turned out pretty good after being thrown into the fire. Again, it depends on the player. The front office is responsible for knowing what they have in a young player.
Yeah, I agree a little Scoob but I think the RW thing is different. There was zero pressure on him when he came in. He wasn't even supposed to start and the team was already building a championship defense but you're right, he was already pretty mature. You have seen more of Murray than I have so I'll defer to you on that. I do think expectations are a little lower for him too though.
I think the media hype combined with Mayfield's cockiness and attitude puts him under such a microscope that something might get lost at times. And I think the Browns did a disservice to him for not going after a more experienced coach to run the show. Now by not addressing the Oline, the entire problem is magnified. Not saying it will continue though. They are in a winnable division and they have talent. They may be alright yet but the media crap needs to slow down and the kid needs to just concentrate on football and forget all the B.S.

Scooby-Doo

Ruh-roh
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I agree a little Scoob but I think the RW thing is different. There was zero pressure on him when he came in. He wasn't even supposed to start and the team was already building a championship defense but you're right, he was already pretty mature. You have seen more of Murray than I have so I'll defer to you on that. I do think expectations are a little lower for him too though.
I think the media hype combined with Mayfield's cockiness and attitude puts him under such a microscope that something might get lost at times. And I think the Browns did a disservice to him for not going after a more experienced coach to run the show. Now by not addressing the Oline, the entire problem is magnified. Not saying it will continue though. They are in a winnable division and they have talent. They may be alright yet but the media crap needs to slow down and the kid needs to just concentrate on football and forget all the B.S.
7-9 could win this division. I think they have just as much a chance as Baltimore.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree. Who can forget about Jamarcus Russell, David Carr, Tim Couch,etc..

:pound:

Russell threw 2 TD's his rookie year. Carr threw 9. Couch threw 15. Mayfield set the rookie record last year with 27 (started 13 games & played in 14). Do you even follow football?

Mayfield's not playing well at all. But to compare him to those 3 is beyond commical.

Deacon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, he brings confidence and hope to a team that had none. That alone is worth the ride. Some of his failings have not been his fault, some of them have.

In fairness, he is now straddled with a rookie coach making rookie coach mistakes while he is only a 2nd yr player without a whole season's worth of starts under his belt.

He's been spectacular at times, atrocious at times, average most of the time.

One thing I don't think anyone can deny. The play calling has been less than stellar. Way too many downfield pass plays being called for an offense that struggles with protection.

michaeljordan_fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:pound:

Russell threw 2 TD's his rookie year. Carr threw 9. Couch threw 15. Mayfield set the rookie record last year with 27 (started 13 games & played in 14). Do you even follow football?

Mayfield's not playing well at all. But to compare him to those 3 is beyond commical.

Nice try, Russell only played in 4 games his rookie year.

CaptainStubing

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
mayfield is certainly not throwing the ball as accurately this season vs last. not sure if there something off with his mechanics but he doesn't look as good.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
mayfield is certainly not throwing the ball as accurately this season vs last. not sure if there something off with his mechanics but he doesn't look as good.

His OL might be the worst in the league. Starting TE is out. But he should still be playing better than he is right now. I think it's safe to say the sophomore slump hit him. Hopefully he (and the team) improve.

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Vernon and OBJ or Zeitler and Trent Williams

They likely don't beat the Ravens without OBJ. not sure why Trent would be an either or in this scenario. They need to get it done.

Hoping they make a move next week with the bye coming