• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Is Baker Mayfield a Bust?

Is Baker Mayfield a Bust?

• Yes

Votes: 35 26.5%
  • No

Votes: 50 37.9%
  • Will tell you at the end of the season

Votes: 35 26.5%
  • Taters

Votes: 12 9.1%

• Total voters

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You don't consider a home loss to the Titans by a score of 43 - 13 getting beaten "end to end"? That's a 30 point differential. They lost to the 49'ers 31 - 3, a 28 point differential, plus that was a road loss. Furthermore, the Titans are 2-3, and the 49'ers are 4-0. I'd definitely have to say the Titans game was worse.

It was 15-13 with two minutes in the third. That isn't end to end

GhostOfPoverty

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was 15-13 with two minutes in the third. That isn't end to end

You're reaching. They still blew the game by 30 points. It doesn't really matter how it happened exactly; if your team loses by 30+ points, they got spanked. Keeping it competitive for 2 1/2 quarters means nothing when you fold so badly the rest of the game that it results in a complete blowout loss.

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As much as I can't stand Gregg Williams as he's always been a dirty coach as a DC, it's absolutely mind obliterating that Cleveland didn't give him that HC job full-time after what he did there as an interim for the last half of the 2018 season. Dude took a dumpster fire team that looked like it was about to end up 2-13-1 and got them to 7-8-1 with a rookie QB after Hugh Jackson almost ruined another season for them completely. So their response to that was to promote their OC. Unbelievably poorly run organization that needs to be completely hauled over from the top down besides a few of their key players.

I don't think it's fair to say they're that poorly run now. I think they've properly addressed certain positions and have foundation pieces to build from. Despite a sophomore slump - and my personal opinions aside - the QB looks to be the part. They have an elite pass rusher, a solid corner and some offensive weapons to be wary of. You have to remember that it wasn't long ago that this team won 1 game over a two year span...Cleveland has come a long way in a short time.

I had my reservations about the overwhelming hype coming into this season. I didn't like the Beckham trade, and the HC choice was baffling....I don't think I'd ever heard of the guy until he became interim HC. Certainly there must of been legit candidates with quality resumes that would've been interested in the Browns resurgence. Maybe the best thing for them is an underwhelming season, so they can come back to reality.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're reaching. They still blew the game by 30 points. It doesn't really matter how it happened exactly; if your team loses by 30+ points, they got spanked. Keeping it competitive for 2 1/2 quarters means nothing when you fold so badly the rest of the game that it results in a complete blowout loss.

I agree with you...the end result is what it is.

At the same time, if you didn't see the game, I understand why @Stakesarehigh is pushing back on "end to end"...it was a 1 possession game well into the 3rd Q....just a weird explosion 4 TDs unanswered and quick span...still a beatdown however you look at it when you see the score.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's very immature, and I doubt he's gonna ever really improve. He'll dance around a do the throat slash deal when things are going good, and he cries like Nancy Kerrigan when things go bad. The whole world saw both of them in his final college game. You're never gonna improve with an attitude like that.
How did he cry when things went bad?

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Have to say yes because I graded it extremely poorly and said he'd bust going to the Browns because of his terrible ability to read and throw accurate passes downfield.

So yes, IMO bust. I'll stand by what I said a year ago. So far, I'm 100% spot on, same as RG3 (funny I'm not being called a racist this time). I did NOT like Mayday's mechanics, his leadership/maturity, and accuracy. IMO he had a little bit of an X factor, but not in the same league as the X factor of Wilson for example.

In all seriousness, you can hardly assess this now. But ANYONE on this forum let alone any NFL 'fan/pretend fan' saying Mayfield was going to save the Browns after ONE year, is out of their f'ing mind. I even said, "Let's wait until year 2 is over before we crown Mahomes the new Brady/Manning/Brees."

And before anyone calls me a homer, or blasts me... I thought Wilson would 100% bust. I've said numerous times on this forum that I did NOT LIKE the Wilson pick, and was 100% wrong. So there ya go. I did love the Wagner pick though, and Kiper lost ALL cred with me when he said Seattle lost out on their guy and reached for Wagner because the Eagles snagged Kendricks (who Seattle now has under contract as well lol).
Have to say the fact you called him a bust due to any type of inaccuracy BEFORE he ever threw a pass for the Browns seems absurd.

Fair to say there was an overreaction after last year, though.

Also something I've noticed about many teams/QBs this season....play bad Ds and they play well. Good ones and they struggle. Baker hasn't faced his Miami yet this year.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I say no right now, but this season will tell a lot. I want to see how he reacts to adversity.

One thing is for sure: the media crowned his ass as a star way too early. He hasn't done shit in the NFL. The Browns in general got crowned before doing jack.
no doubt and this goes hand in hand about my last comment......Baker played very well against bad Ds last year and struggled against the good ones.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so Kiper lost all credibility when he was wrong that one time? Hahahaha nobody is perfect.

The fact is way too early to tell if someone is a bust a year in and that is just a fact. everyone overreacts. I’m not surprised. Not saying Mayfield will be an AP for years to come but lets give him some time to work on his weaknesses. Mayfield is not a one read guy but he needs to work on staring down his targets
Don't worry about the one read guy....vast majority who say this are just parroting something they heard. They don't know.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He’s under siege every play. They invested all that money in free agency and have a horrid line.

I really don’t think it’s teams figuring him out so much as the horrible line.
I do think there were many times he held the ball too long but last game was more on the line IMO.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah it does matter a lot, it means they competited for 3 quarters. There is a difference between getting blown out and dominated all game long than being in a game and then just making mistake after mistake.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with you...the end result is what it is.

At the same time, if you didn't see the game, I understand why @Stakesarehigh is pushing back on "end to end"...it was a 1 possession game well into the 3rd Q....just a weird explosion 4 TDs unanswered and quick span...still a beatdown however you look at it when you see the score.
I agree with you (and Stakes but didn't see his actual comment). End result all that matter, but definitely a huge difference the entirety of the game between Tennessee and SF.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He can normally buy himself a little time but Robinson was getting caved in on every play basically

I remember one time back near the goal line he was standing in the pocket and it collapsed within 3 seconds he somehow squeezed through the back and had to run for his life. He does need to stay in the pocket more but he also needs more than 3 seconds to throw. I would like to see Kitchens call better plays to get the ball out of his hands quicker. He is calling these routes that take time to develop and he has no shot back there.
Hoping they make changes against Seattle or it could be another long day.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is such a strange situation for me. I've been rooting hard for the Browns for decades, anyone with a heart in their chest should want their fans to finally be rewarded for generations of loyalty to a horrible team.

I did not like Baker coming out. At all. I was kind of pleasantly surprised to see how well he played as a rookie. But he is just such a punk it made it hard, his gestures at Hugh Jackson after a TD pass was unnecessary and in poor taste and it was just more of the same behavior. I agree he overreacts when things go well or when they go badly.

I always thought the media was going overboard on the Browns this year. And yes the OL is a big problem. But anyone who watches these games and can't see how Mayfield has been a huge part of the problem are not being honest, it's not all the OL. Too early to tell but certainly trending towards bust, you just can't ignore what is taking place on the field.
Well said....my issue is too many fans are what I'd call 100%ers. Everything 100% on one person or one situation. Never an in between.

Not crazy to think Baker has had his issues, but there have been times the line, WRs and scheme have done him no favors.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To be clear, Mayfield hasn't been good so these are far from excuses, just observations. The point is the Browns have a lot of issues and struggles, they have a long way to go before becoming a very good/complete team.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Too early to tell.

The thing that concerns me with Baker is his awareness. His pocket presence is suspect. He seems to scramble when there is no pressure.

With that, we are on the verge of seeing OBJ lose his shit. He cried his way out of NY to a team he never wanted to play for. He is not getting targeted unless it is a gimmick running play or WR screen. Combine that with an arrogant QB and struggling rookie coach...
They have the Seahawks and Patriots next 2 weeks. 2-5 is a real possibility. If that happens... :exploding:
....then they finish 7-2 when the sched. gets easier with a sweep of Bmore and win the division?

I'm sure that's what you meant, right?