• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Is Baker Mayfield a Bust?

Is Baker Mayfield a Bust?

• Yes

Votes: 35 26.5%
  • No

Votes: 50 37.9%
  • Will tell you at the end of the season

Votes: 35 26.5%
  • Taters

Votes: 12 9.1%

• Total voters

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
His OL might be the worst in the league. Starting TE is out. But he should still be playing better than he is right now. I think it's safe to say the sophomore slump hit him. Hopefully he (and the team) improve.

Eh...not the worst in the league imo. Zeitler was a big loss but not to this extent.

CaptainStubing

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
His OL might be the worst in the league. Starting TE is out. But he should still be playing better than he is right now. I think it's safe to say the sophomore slump hit him. Hopefully he (and the team) improve.

yes, the OL performance cannot be ignored and it has effected Mayfield's play

michaeljordan_fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice try. You're the one that mentioned him in the first place.

His career was a bust. Mentioning their first seasons as if they are comparable is dumb.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yes, the OL performance cannot be ignored and it has effected Mayfield's play

He needs to get the ball outta his hands as fast as possible. When he holds onto it he gets himself in trouble.

CaptainStubing

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He needs to get the ball outta his hands as fast as possible. When he holds onto it he gets himself in trouble.

yes, i think i heard someone on the radio saying this year so far he has the slowest release. Is he not reading the defenses properly pre-snap? Are receivers not getting open? is the offensive scheme/play designs taking too long to develop?

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yes, i think i heard someone on the radio saying this year so far he has the slowest release. Is he not reading the defenses properly pre-snap? Are receivers not getting open? is the offensive scheme/play designs taking too long to develop?

Not really sure what his issues are. Well other than when he holds onto the ball too long bad things happen.

And it's gonna get worse before it can possibly get any better. Seattle & N.E. are the next 2 teams the Browns play.

Tritonboat71

50-55-56-74-75-85-00
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No one knows yet, I don't think he is....I think they should've kept Gregg Williams as HC, he had him rockin' last year....

Nailed it right there.

Freddie Kitchens hire at Cleveland still blows my mind. Zero HC experience, was a running backs coach last year.

Baker thrived in Greg Williams offense.

Totally different mindset and system this season.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
7-9 could win this division. I think they have just as much a chance as Baltimore.

Pretty unusual bc Baltimore and Pittsburgh usually are competitive year in and year out.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
His career was a bust. Mentioning their first seasons as if they are comparable is dumb.

Then why state Russell's name in a list of busts when Baker already has succeeded his career by a ton in one year...he is already past the "bust label" by having one of the best "rookie" seasons ever, without even playing all 16 games. Now we just have to see if he improves and takes his game to the next level, right now he is in a slump but it isn't uncommon. The Browns also have to make sure they maximize his potential by putting a great playcaller over him and a HC that can develop him. Right now Kitchens isn't doing that but like Mayfield he is a rookie so we will see...but usually you don't want to pair a rookie HC with a rookie QB. I think Kitchens has potential he is just overthinking things but we will see, Kitchens isn't proving much of anything to Dorsey and front office right now.

CruiseControl

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The first clue if he turns out to be a bust.... will be the video of the police tackling him and charging him with drunken and disorderly conduct.

Dude

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,999.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Monday’s loss was not only on Mayfield. Give the kid a chance. He did change the persona of Browns once they got rid of Hue and started him. Many QBs would have struggled with how SF defense played. And that drop by Callaway was huge, it changed the game completely.

GhostOfPoverty

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think so....he's just a punk who thoroughly deserves multiple nights like last night until he learns better.

Having said that, there are bigger issues in Cleveland....starting with that HC.

As much as I can't stand Gregg Williams as he's always been a dirty coach as a DC, it's absolutely mind obliterating that Cleveland didn't give him that HC job full-time after what he did there as an interim for the last half of the 2018 season. Dude took a dumpster fire team that looked like it was about to end up 2-13-1 and got them to 7-8-1 with a rookie QB after Hugh Jackson almost ruined another season for them completely. So their response to that was to promote their OC. Unbelievably poorly run organization that needs to be completely hauled over from the top down besides a few of their key players.

Stakesarehigh

Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As much as I can't stand Gregg Williams as he's always been a dirty coach as a DC, it's absolutely mind obliterating that Cleveland didn't give him that HC job full-time after what he did there as an interim for the last half of the 2018 season. Dude took a dumpster fire team that looked like it was about to end up 2-13-1 and got them to 7-8-1 with a rookie QB after Hugh Jackson almost ruined another season for them completely. So their response to that was to promote their OC. Unbelievably poorly run organization that needs to be completely hauled over from the top down besides a few of their key players.

From a talent standpoint Dorsey has taken an 0-16 team and made it relevant in two seasons so the top down comment isn't accurate

He appears to have made a bad call with Kitchens albeit it's early and they have played a tough schedule. If the team is 2-5 then I think it's hot seat time early in Freddie's reign

GhostOfPoverty

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From a talent standpoint Dorsey has taken an 0-16 team and made it relevant in two seasons so the top down comment isn't accurate

He appears to have made a bad call with Kitchens albeit it's early and they have played a tough schedule. If the team is 2-5 then I think it's hot seat time early in Freddie's reign

Don't you think it's a little early to call their GM of 2 seasons a success and credit him with making the team relevant? Wasn't it him who decided to keep Hugh Jackson on for a miserable start in 2018 before Williams turned them around into a halfway decent team? Was Dorsey not the guy who decided to let Williams walk in favor of promoting Kitchens to what is currently a 2-3 season? Their lone wins coming against the Jets and Ravens, and 2 of the losses being complete blowouts at the hands of the mighty Titans and 49'ers?

But I'll go ahead and tell you what their schedule will look like. Next few games: Seattle, bye week, @ New England. So yeah, they've got a pretty good chance of being 2-5 like you said might put him on the early hot seat. They might luck out into another average looking season, because their schedule gets ridiculously easy after that. Their toughest opponents after that game are facing the Ravens (who they already beat on the road) at home and two games against the Steelers without their starting QB. Anything short of 7-9 season with the rest of that schedule would be pretty pathetic for a team supposedly on the rise.

No offense though. My team sucks too, so I feel your pain.

Stakesarehigh

Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't you think it's a little early to call their GM of 2 seasons a success and credit him with making the team relevant? Wasn't it him who decided to keep Hugh Jackson on for a miserable start in 2018 before Williams turned them around into a halfway decent team? Was Dorsey not the guy who decided to let Williams walk in favor of promoting Kitchens to what is currently a 2-3 season? Their lone wins coming against the Jets and Ravens, and 2 of the losses being complete blowouts at the hands of the mighty Titans and 49'ers?

But I'll go ahead and tell you what their schedule will look like. Next few games: Seattle, bye week, @ New England. So yeah, they've got a pretty good chance of being 2-5 like you said might put him on the early hot seat. They might luck out into another average looking season, because their schedule gets ridiculously easy after that. Their toughest opponents after that game are facing the Ravens (who they already beat on the road) at home and two games against the Steelers without their starting QB. Anything short of 7-9 season with the rest of that schedule would be pretty pathetic for a team supposedly on the rise.

No offense though. My team sucks too, so I feel your pain.

Obviously they are relevant the media and this board are salivating at their demise and they haven't even won anything.

The coaching decisions have been problematic yes...but to take easily the worst roster in the league and upgrade it as he has has been impressive. Whether it works or not remains to be seen.

The only game they have been beaten end to end is the 49ers game..

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is definitely coaching and this is what happens when you switch out coaches left in right in a young QBs career there needs to be stability and it looked like the browns had something going last year. So you add Odell Beckham and all of a sudden you are worse? They probably should have made Greg Williams the head coach it would take a serious personality like him to run this team with Beckham and Baker. All these social media feuds would be killed by Williams quick now its the topic of sportscenter.

GhostOfPoverty

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Obviously they are relevant the media and this board are salivating at their demise and they haven't even won anything.

The coaching decisions have been problematic yes...but to take easily the worst roster in the league and upgrade it as he has has been impressive. Whether it works or not remains to be seen.

The only game they have been beaten end to end is the 49ers game..

You don't consider a home loss to the Titans by a score of 43 - 13 getting beaten "end to end"? That's a 30 point differential. They lost to the 49'ers 31 - 3, a 28 point differential, plus that was a road loss. Furthermore, the Titans are 2-3, and the 49'ers are 4-0. I'd definitely have to say the Titans game was worse.

GhostOfPoverty

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is definitely coaching and this is what happens when you switch out coaches left in right in a young QBs career there needs to be stability and it looked like the browns had something going last year. So you add Odell Beckham and all of a sudden you are worse? They probably should have made Greg Williams the head coach it would take a serious personality like him to run this team with Beckham and Baker. All these social media feuds would be killed by Williams quick now its the topic of sportscenter.

Exactly. The fact they they didn't just promote Williams for the HC job and went with Kitchens just proved what a clown show that franchise continues to be as an organization from the very top regardless of having newer GM or not. There are hobos off the street who could have made the right decision there, and their GM still failed to do it.