• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Is Baker Mayfield a Bust?

Is Baker Mayfield a Bust?

• Yes

Votes: 35 26.5%
  • No

Votes: 50 37.9%
  • Will tell you at the end of the season

Votes: 35 26.5%
  • Taters

Votes: 12 9.1%

• Total voters

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,551.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Too early.......but this season his OL has been poor and he's made some bad decisions throwing INT's rather than throwing the ball away.....

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 12,551.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Imagine if you will if they had gone after Trent Williams......instead of OBJ......

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Imagine if you will if they had gone after Trent Williams......instead of OBJ......

They can still get Trent. They need to. Give up whatever the Redskins want

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Starting to look that way.

Nah, but last season

As of today, I chalk this up to a) a sophomore slump and b) teams no longer overlook the Browns. Give him another 2 full years

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 12,551.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They can still get Trent. They need to. Give up whatever the Redskins want

Sure, but if they had done it this past offseason they most likely wouldn't be off to the start they are.

Gatorchip

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,015.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Normally I would say no.

But this is the Browns. Their drafted QB's always end up failing them.

Bust

Thruthefog

Can'tre Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They were winning with Williams, then the front office, in their infinite wisdom, decided to go with a complete unknown. I enjoy watching these arrogant front office peeps around the NFL constantly trying to fix something that isn't broken.

"Last year I couldn't spell general manager. Now I are one."

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not yet, but he needs a OC or head coach to save him soon tho

Scooby-Doo

Ruh-roh
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OBJ said he was shocked when he was traded and at first he was pissed when he was traded bc he wanted to be in New York so he didn't cry his way out of NY lol...but anyway the things Baker needs to improve on is staying in the pocket (even though there are times where he has no choice), his footwork in the pocket and staring down his WR's. The talent is there he just needs work on some fundamentals.

There was a real possibility they could be 3-4 or 2-5 at the beginning of the season, nothing has changed, except the fact they have more weaknesses/things they need to work on than we anticipated. I don't think anyone expects them to win these next 2 games so maybe that is better. At 2-5 everyone will forget about them then maybe they can focus more...the last 9 games are overall pretty easy but with the way they are playing I doubt they can win 5 of those.

Yes Baker has work to do, but it is way too early to call him a bust especially after his rookie season.

Regarding Odell... He did cry his way out of NY. Maybe he wanted to stay in NY and maybe he didn't ask to be traded, but because he is a crybaby/diva/cancer/whatever you want to call him, he was dealt. Teams don't unload a young, top 3 wr who they just extended, especially when they are going to transition to a QB on a rookie salary unless he is a cancer.

I think most believe he is poised for an explosion if the losing continues.

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Regarding Odell... He did cry his way out of NY. Maybe he wanted to stay in NY and maybe he didn't ask to be traded, but because he is a crybaby/diva/cancer/whatever you want to call him, he was dealt. Teams don't unload a young, top 3 wr who they just extended, especially when they are going to transition to a QB on a rookie salary unless he is a cancer.

Beckham's main complaint was that Eli wasn't getting him the ball enough. Specifically, that the Giants passing attack was all short routes, and Odell likes to take it to the house every single play. Then, he was upset that they took Saquon Barkley in the 2018 draft, instead of a young QB.

The franchise could have gotten rid of Eli, or OBJ. They kept the guy who lead them to two superbowls, despite Beckham's yuge contract.

Funny now, how Manning is riding the pine, the Giants have their young replacement QB, and OBJ is languishing in Cleveland's offense with another young QB who still can't get him the ball over the top.

Scooby-Doo

Ruh-roh
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Isn't this part of the ongoing problem with these kids being selected first overall. They really aren't mature enough to handle it and the media goes way overboard with the hype. Especially in this case because it was the woeful Browns who have failed in this regard time and time again. Then the kid has a little success his rookie year and the hype explodes.
The only thing I see in him is a lack of maturity. It's the same for a lot of these kids but for him, he seems to be worse than most. No way too know if he will be a bust or to what extent. Let his brain finish growing and get him a proper coach and maybe we will see something special. Kitchens sems to be almost as immature at times and is in way over his head, imo. Comparing Mayfields situation to Mahomes is bad too. Mahomes went to the perfect situation with the right coach and Mahomes was already more mature mentally.
I think this depends on the player. Some mature faster than others. There is no question Mayfield is immature so the decision to throw him into the fire could be questioned, although I don't know what other choice they had.

I am obviously closer to the Kyler Murray situation and in his case, he seems to be mature beyond his years. And, as you said, the coach and system fit his skill set.

Also, look at Russell Wilson. He turned out pretty good after being thrown into the fire. Again, it depends on the player. The front office is responsible for knowing what they have in a young player.

Scooby-Doo

Ruh-roh
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Beckham's main complaint was that Eli wasn't getting him the ball enough. Specifically, that the Giants passing attack was all short routes, and Odell likes to take it to the house every single play. Then, he was upset that they took Saquon Barkley in the 2018 draft, instead of a young QB.

The franchise could have gotten rid of Eli, or OBJ. They kept the guy who lead them to two superbowls, despite Beckham's yuge contract.

Funny now, how Manning is riding the pine, the Giants have their young replacement QB, and OBJ is languishing in Cleveland's offense with another young QB who still can't get him the ball over the top.
And Danny Dimes is throwing it deep.

The Browns oline is an issue, but nobody can complain about the talent around Baker. RB's, WR's... God I wish Kyler Murray had that talent around him.

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is no question Mayfield is immature so the decision to throw him into the fire could be questioned, although I don't know what other choice they had.

Absolutely, they had nothing to lose by asking him to start right away. Maybe he's not the right guy (mentally) to throw immediately into the fire, but you can't fault the Browns for that particular decision - just the million other decisions that ultimately led them to this one.

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And Danny Dimes is throwing it deep.

I'm guessing he would love to have Odell. It wouldn't make too much of a difference, I don't think, but Beckham would be getting his scoring chances, which is really what he cares about most.

And frankly, his value really is as the guy who makes the stunning one-handed TD grabs in the corner of the end zone. He's not a workhorse receiver

MarkOU

License to Thrill
Hoopla Cash
$ 287.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2nd year QBs ranked by QBR

upload_2019-10-9_10-5-35.png

Too early to tell

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Erm, no. His offense, and coaches, just stinks out loud right now. Baker should be fine. Kitchens should be on the hot seat.