• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Is Baker Mayfield a Bust?

Is Baker Mayfield a Bust?

• Yes

Votes: 35 26.5%
  • No

Votes: 50 37.9%
  • Will tell you at the end of the season

Votes: 35 26.5%
  • Taters

Votes: 12 9.1%

• Total voters

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Niners D did make him look worse than Dalton and that's saying something. Still have a bunch of games left so we'll see if he rebounds.

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I give him three years, but his being the Face of the NFL chances are dwindling.

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is such a strange situation for me. I've been rooting hard for the Browns for decades, anyone with a heart in their chest should want their fans to finally be rewarded for generations of loyalty to a horrible team.

I did not like Baker coming out. At all. I was kind of pleasantly surprised to see how well he played as a rookie. But he is just such a punk it made it hard, his gestures at Hugh Jackson after a TD pass was unnecessary and in poor taste and it was just more of the same behavior. I agree he overreacts when things go well or when they go badly.

I always thought the media was going overboard on the Browns this year. And yes the OL is a big problem. But anyone who watches these games and can't see how Mayfield has been a huge part of the problem are not being honest, it's not all the OL. Too early to tell but certainly trending towards bust, you just can't ignore what is taking place on the field.

pachyderm

kick assery king
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Starting to look that way.

I think he is on a horrible team that belongs to a horrible franchise with horrible owners.

For me it's too early to tell.

He's had more success than Twatty* Football did so...

* Or was it Johnny... ?

knowyourenemy

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Have to say yes because I graded it extremely poorly and said he'd bust going to the Browns because of his terrible ability to read and throw accurate passes downfield.

So yes, IMO bust. I'll stand by what I said a year ago. So far, I'm 100% spot on, same as RG3 (funny I'm not being called a racist this time). I did NOT like Mayday's mechanics, his leadership/maturity, and accuracy. IMO he had a little bit of an X factor, but not in the same league as the X factor of Wilson for example.

In all seriousness, you can hardly assess this now. But ANYONE on this forum let alone any NFL 'fan/pretend fan' saying Mayfield was going to save the Browns after ONE year, is out of their f'ing mind. I even said, "Let's wait until year 2 is over before we crown Mahomes the new Brady/Manning/Brees."

And before anyone calls me a homer, or blasts me... I thought Wilson would 100% bust. I've said numerous times on this forum that I did NOT LIKE the Wilson pick, and was 100% wrong. So there ya go. I did love the Wagner pick though, and Kiper lost ALL cred with me when he said Seattle lost out on their guy and reached for Wagner because the Eagles snagged Kendricks (who Seattle now has under contract as well lol).

So you’re saying that Kiper might have been right that Seattle wanted Kendricks all along?

Myles

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think he is or will be a bust. It's only been 5 games of year 2.
I don't think he will live up to the 1st pick in the draft though.

molsaniceman

I aint drunk Im just drinking
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,327.46
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
no but that oline is:suds:

DayDrinkinginDurham

Healed Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No. The problem is he's gotten it in his head that HE is the entire browns offense, and that only through him can they win games. Thus he makes bad calls, throws batshit passes that never work, hell even when he completes his passes he nearly gets his receivers killed. Watching MNF against the jets, every pass is a hospital pass.

Bedlam131

Boomer Sooner
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I watched him for years with Oklahoma and even some with Tech. He is a fighter and sometimes he tries too hard. He tried to force some plays against SF and I knew he would. Did not turn out well for the Browns or him. He needs to loosen up enough but, not too much to lose that competitive edge.

He is less a one look QB than he generally tends to sync well ( timing and such) with a couple recovers. Think of his clutch or big passes over his time at Oklahoma. Who caught those passes? Andrews, Westbrook, Brown and maybe Flowers. Even niwcwith the Browns who catches a lot of his passes? Callaway, he seems to have synced with him.

Jury is still out on Mayfield in the NFL, at least for me.

Scooby-Doo

Ruh-roh
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Too early to tell.

The thing that concerns me with Baker is his awareness. His pocket presence is suspect. He seems to scramble when there is no pressure.

With that, we are on the verge of seeing OBJ lose his shit. He cried his way out of NY to a team he never wanted to play for. He is not getting targeted unless it is a gimmick running play or WR screen. Combine that with an arrogant QB and struggling rookie coach...
They have the Seahawks and Patriots next 2 weeks. 2-5 is a real possibility. If that happens... :exploding:

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Have to say yes because I graded it extremely poorly and said he'd bust going to the Browns because of his terrible ability to read and throw accurate passes downfield.

So yes, IMO bust. I'll stand by what I said a year ago. So far, I'm 100% spot on, same as RG3 (funny I'm not being called a racist this time). I did NOT like Mayday's mechanics, his leadership/maturity, and accuracy. IMO he had a little bit of an X factor, but not in the same league as the X factor of Wilson for example.

In all seriousness, you can hardly assess this now. But ANYONE on this forum let alone any NFL 'fan/pretend fan' saying Mayfield was going to save the Browns after ONE year, is out of their f'ing mind. I even said, "Let's wait until year 2 is over before we crown Mahomes the new Brady/Manning/Brees."

And before anyone calls me a homer, or blasts me... I thought Wilson would 100% bust. I've said numerous times on this forum that I did NOT LIKE the Wilson pick, and was 100% wrong. So there ya go. I did love the Wagner pick though, and Kiper lost ALL cred with me when he said Seattle lost out on their guy and reached for Wagner because the Eagles snagged Kendricks (who Seattle now has under contract as well lol).

It's fairly easy to call the #1 overall pick a bust because the standard for success is so high that most will never accomplish it. He had a very good rookie season, but I was still on the let's wait another year soapbox.

Now that we're into that 2nd season and he's struggling some...that was to be expected on some level so I"m not ready to call him a bust, but year 3 is when we should see the young franchise QB turn the corner and become that consistent performer.

My guess is he does bring his game back up next year, but not to the level of a franchise QB...probably will be a 2nd contract player in CLE, I'm seeing an Andy Daltonish like career for him.

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know about being a bust, but the man needs to grow a pair and tell his wife to go get her own damn straw!

That's a long ass walk just for the lemonade!

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It wasn't Joey Bosa...it was Nick

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Too early to tell.

The thing that concerns me with Baker is his awareness. His pocket presence is suspect. He seems to scramble when there is no pressure.

With that, we are on the verge of seeing OBJ lose his shit. He cried his way out of NY to a team he never wanted to play for. He is not getting targeted unless it is a gimmick running play or WR screen. Combine that with an arrogant QB and struggling rookie coach...
They have the Seahawks and Patriots next 2 weeks. 2-5 is a real possibility. If that happens... :exploding:

OBJ said he was shocked when he was traded and at first he was pissed when he was traded bc he wanted to be in New York so he didn't cry his way out of NY lol...but anyway the things Baker needs to improve on is staying in the pocket (even though there are times where he has no choice), his footwork in the pocket and staring down his WR's. The talent is there he just needs work on some fundamentals.

There was a real possibility they could be 3-4 or 2-5 at the beginning of the season, nothing has changed, except the fact they have more weaknesses/things they need to work on than we anticipated. I don't think anyone expects them to win these next 2 games so maybe that is better. At 2-5 everyone will forget about them then maybe they can focus more...the last 9 games are overall pretty easy but with the way they are playing I doubt they can win 5 of those.

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Isn't this part of the ongoing problem with these kids being selected first overall. They really aren't mature enough to handle it and the media goes way overboard with the hype. Especially in this case because it was the woeful Browns who have failed in this regard time and time again. Then the kid has a little success his rookie year and the hype explodes.
The only thing I see in him is a lack of maturity. It's the same for a lot of these kids but for him, he seems to be worse than most. No way too know if he will be a bust or to what extent. Let his brain finish growing and get him a proper coach and maybe we will see something special. Kitchens sems to be almost as immature at times and is in way over his head, imo. Comparing Mayfields situation to Mahomes is bad too. Mahomes went to the perfect situation with the right coach and Mahomes was already more mature mentally.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mayfield looks horrible at times but he has looked decent at times too. It is way to early to decide what he is.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Joey Bosa was getting to him In 3 seconds. Let’s see Tom or Elway make throws with that much time
What? 3 seconds is absolutely enough time. If you get 3 seconds in the NFL you can't blame the OL at all. Now, I doubt he is getting 3 seconds on a lot of plays, but that's a different discussion.