• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Is Baker Mayfield a Bust?

Is Baker Mayfield a Bust?

• Yes

Votes: 35 26.5%
  • No

Votes: 50 37.9%
  • Will tell you at the end of the season

Votes: 35 26.5%
  • Taters

Votes: 12 9.1%

• Total voters

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think so. He had a good rookie year. He has looked bad but we're only 5 games into the season.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't you think it's a little early to call their GM of 2 seasons a success and credit him with making the team relevant? Wasn't it him who decided to keep Hugh Jackson on for a miserable start in 2018 before Williams turned them around into a halfway decent team? Was Dorsey not the guy who decided to let Williams walk in favor of promoting Kitchens to what is currently a 2-3 season? Their lone wins coming against the Jets and Ravens, and 2 of the losses being complete blowouts at the hands of the mighty Titans and 49'ers?

But I'll go ahead and tell you what their schedule will look like. Next few games: Seattle, bye week, @ New England. So yeah, they've got a pretty good chance of being 2-5 like you said might put him on the early hot seat. They might luck out into another average looking season, because their schedule gets ridiculously easy after that. Their toughest opponents after that game are facing the Ravens (who they already beat on the road) at home and two games against the Steelers without their starting QB. Anything short of 7-9 season with the rest of that schedule would be pretty pathetic for a team supposedly on the rise.

No offense though. My team sucks too, so I feel your pain.
There are a number of people here who wont blame Dorsey for anything but I agree with you. while he's maybe done some good things also possible he's made some mistakes...and, yes, Freddie might be one of them (but too early to know).

Another huge gaffe seems to be not only drafting Corbett, but doubling down and thinking he could start this year as opposed to finding someone better in FA.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we'll know if he cannot bring it up sooner against the weaker comp. in the 2nd half of season.

Yeah true...I actually think his performance over the 16 is a better gauge...over the next month or so, you get to see him @ NE, @ DEN, then a pretty good BUF team before facing PIT twice in a 3 weeks. He's already shown he can play...what he hasn't shown yet is doing it against the better teams in the league....of course that eliminates PIT this yr, but those will be good measurement games for the young QB.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You don't consider a home loss to the Titans by a score of 43 - 13 getting beaten "end to end"? That's a 30 point differential. They lost to the 49'ers 31 - 3, a 28 point differential, plus that was a road loss. Furthermore, the Titans are 2-3, and the 49'ers are 4-0. I'd definitely have to say the Titans game was worse.
Titans was a 1 score game going into 4th so not the same as being out of the game in 2nd qtr. like SF.

Tritonboat71

50-55-56-74-75-85-00
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gregg williams' offense? Greggggggg ran the D and the D was awful.

You’re right, up until week 8 last year when Hue Jackson was fired, and Gregg became interim coach and went 5-3.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're reaching. They still blew the game by 30 points. It doesn't really matter how it happened exactly; if your team loses by 30+ points, they got spanked. Keeping it competitive for 2 1/2 quarters means nothing when you fold so badly the rest of the game that it results in a complete blowout loss.
I guess....but they kept it competitive into the 4th. Certainly not the same as being blown out from the beginning.

Tritonboat71

50-55-56-74-75-85-00
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I called him a bust well before he was drafted by the Browns. Baker Mayday did not impress me in College.

Thank God he didn’t have to impress you.

He only had the highest QBR at the time, ever recorded. Won the Heisman. Apparently he impressed more important people.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You have to give young OL a chance though...they have depth, it's just turning out it's not good depth. A mid-season trade to grab an OT would be an excellent move at this point.
They are gonna have a number of guys who need to be paid in the next 2-3 seasons. Not sure they can keep giving away high picks who could play on rookie deals.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How about this guy?

0-11, 9 TDs, 18 INTs.

The best comparison is Drew Brees. Drew got benched in his 2nd year (3rd year overall) starting for Doug Flutie. He didn't start hitting his stride till year 4, then really kinda made a name for himself when he was traded to the Saints and joined offensive genius, Sean Payton. Of course Drew was a 2nd round pick but he also had an amazing college career and he is undersized. We might not know if Baker is the real deal until year 4 or 5 or until he gets a coach or OC that is perfect for him.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When he was up by 17 in the first half he was dancing around, doing the throat slash gesture, then when he lost in OT he cried like Nancy Kerrigan
Saw the game...never noticed any of it (and wasn't rooting for Oklahoma).

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They are gonna have a number of guys who need to be paid in the next 2-3 seasons. Not sure they can keep giving away high picks who could play on rookie deals.

That's why you grab a guy on a shorter contract, no clue who it would be but I'm just spitballing here. Very possible they don't trade for anyone at all.

Tritonboat71

50-55-56-74-75-85-00
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
D was pretty bad last 8 games. They won more because of their O.

That’s fair.

The D isn’t much better, if at all, this year. They’ve added offensive fire power, but have failed to improve their offensive line.

Without solid protection, I don’t care who’s behind Center. Production is gonna suffer.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A lot of his 'great throws' in College were fed from on the run throws, improvising, etc. You generally can't sustain that in the NFL. The only QBs that have done it successfully is Tarkenton and Wilson. The percent chance of success is extremely low.
QBs can't succeed on improvisation in the NFL? You said it yourself he'd be a bust before ever seeing him throw an NFL pass. Sorry, but other than a guess no fan can know this. And how could we without watching film and, more importantly, watching film with said QB?

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thank God he didn’t have to impress you.

He only had the highest QBR at the time, ever recorded. Won the Heisman. Apparently he impressed more important people.
Exactly. No way a fan can know if a QB can succeed in the NFL without watching his game film, talking to the QB, etc. Hell, guys who do it for a living mess up on QBs all the time, but Joe Fan knows?

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The best comparison is Drew Brees. Drew got benched in his 2nd year (3rd year overall) starting for Doug Flutie. He didn't start hitting his stride till year 4, then really kinda made a name for himself when he was traded to the Saints and joined offensive genius, Sean Payton. Of course Drew was a 2nd round pick but he also had an amazing college career and he is undersized. We might not know if Baker is the real deal until year 4 or 5 or until he gets a coach or OC that is perfect for him.
Just an FYI the guy I mentioned was Aikman.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That’s fair.

The D isn’t much better, if at all, this year. They’ve added offensive fire power, but have failed to improve their offensive line.

Without solid protection, I don’t care who’s behind Center. Production is gonna suffer.

To be fair, it's been their run defense and their front 7 was supposed to be their strength lol. If your run defense breaks down it affects your entire defense and they haven't had a lot of their starters in the secondary this season. Secondary has actually been overall pretty good especially using their #3 and #4 CB's. Heard Greedy and Ward could be back this week, hopefully that helps.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
D was pretty bad last 8 games. They won more because of their O.

A lot of people seem to want to give Greg Williams the HC job off his interim work...5-3 was good, but I think ATL won 4 games, CAR, sweeping CIN and DEN...none were playoff caliber teams.

Kitchens was a risk imo, but I think they wanted to keep some continuity from '18, and build off that....it may still work, but Williams didn't have a track record as a HC that anyone could feel good about....he's a DC and that's all he is imo.