• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Is Baker Mayfield a Bust?

Is Baker Mayfield a Bust?

• Yes

Votes: 35 26.5%
  • No

Votes: 50 37.9%
  • Will tell you at the end of the season

Votes: 35 26.5%
  • Taters

Votes: 12 9.1%

• Total voters

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is it really a victory for the Browns if they don't trade Mayfield? I don't think so and the longer this drags out the lower Mayfield trade value IMO. The Browns tried to play hard ball and lost.
It's a victory for the Browns if Watson can eventually play and do what most think he's capable of doing.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just to clarify, because I know how some of the master spinners work their angles here. I'm saying if CLE holds onto him, he will be a distraction and he'll walk away next year and the Browns will get nothing.

IMO the Browns should take anything offered at this point. Pay his salary and get a bag of kicking tees if they can?

There are still a couple of serviceable FA QBs out there. Will be a couple more once teams have to start cutting players. Always the possibility for a trade. Either of these options wouldn't cost near if anything what some think BM could command if a team losses their starter.
But if you dump Baker for anything as you suggest it has cost you close to $19 mil in salary for Baker to potentially help someone else next year...maybe even help someone beat you.

I mean, let's say they do as you say, unload him to Carolina, Baker plays well and beats us in week 1. Instead of a Browns being Browns comment (which would be justified) you'd simply say they did the right thing?

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ahhhh, the ever mysterious comp picks?

We'll have to wait and see. They did sign a few FAs this off season and 7 UDFAs (not sure if they count in the mysterious formula or not)?

What is BMs value if he sits the entire year?
Since I base my comments on post and not poster I agree about the comp. picks. Yes, losing Baker as a FA would help there but if I'm not mistaken comp picks as you allude is based on totality of players lost or signed in FA.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As I mentioned earlier, as have others the longer this goes on the more of a distraction he will become.

The media lives for controversy. Every microphone and reporter will ask him, teammates, coaches about the situation on a daily basis. Looking at BMs personality there is no way he will want to sit quietly and toe the company line thru a 17 game season.
I mean, it's weird you "look at his personality" if it suits you but ignore if it doesn't. Couldn't looking at his personality also make us believe he'd love to go on the field and prove his doubters wrong - again - as he's done so many times if asked to play this season for the Browns because watson is out a while?

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't care what team he was on. This has been over a year and the criminal aspect handled for several months. Make a decision.
Just don't know what they think will change if they wait another couple months. I mean, if they said they are waiting until civil trial is over, sure, some more could come out by then but seems clear they are not waiting that long.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why would he travel with the team at all if they mutually agreed for him to sit out?

You all are just inventing scenarios that aren't plausible.

And if the team asked him to play given a Watson suspension and he refused...well that's on him and he'd be giving up some of his salary. But I don't see any scenario where he's on the bench, Watson is suspended and BM is just watching Jacoby play from the sideline.
This is only are we disagree on this I think......not that I think your opinion is farfetched because I don't.

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just don't know what they think will change if they wait another couple months. I mean, if they said they are waiting until civil trial is over, sure, some more could come out by then but seems clear they are not waiting that long.

Just extending the punishment to the Browns by not announcing it earlier.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who said anything about travel? He may, he may not?

So let's say Watson gets suspended which is highly likely given Goofball's track record.

Are the Browns going to carry 4 QBs? Is Josh Dobbs going to be their back up? What is Baker going to the PS? Or are they not going to have a PS QB? You want to talk about distractions and drama.

Or are you saying BM will just sit at home making more than every other Brown player.

Maybe some here are trying to put lipstick on a pig, not inventing scenarios.

After being snubbed you really can't see BM faking an injury?

So is he sitting at home or is he on the bench and or playing? Tough to debate non plausible scenarios when they are being argued from both sides.

Guess I'll take the field vs the Rams to win the SB. That's in line with steak and PB&J.
could I see him faking an injury? I guess. Or knowing what we know about Baker a.....maybe he'd like to get on the field so he can give a big FU to his detractors and play well?

Whether he can another story....but he likely thinks he can.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They wouldn't be carrying 4 qbs. They'd make him inactive every week until the season was over. And all this is in the highly unlikely event he doesn't get traded.

And who said something about travel? You did. When you said he'd be sitting on the bench watching Jacoby play. That's not going to happen either.
On that I agree....if he's not playing he wont travel with the team.

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,296.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey @comedygold88 may be onto something here. Not that he'll admit his FO is/was inept nor how other franchises would've loved to have had all the picks the Browns have had. Since this is about BM and the BROWNS we'll just examine the prowess of their FO since 2014. I use 2014 because if the FO selected good players, not great in 14 they should still be playing for the Browns during BMs first season.

1st round
Justin Gilbert, DB
Johnny Manziel, QB
2nd round
Joel Bitonio, G
3rd round
Christian Kirksey, LB
Terrance West, RB
2015 1st round
Danny Shelton, NT
Cameron Irving, C (because they don't count)
2nd round
Nate Orchid, DE
3rd round
Duke Johnson, RB
Xavier Cooper, DB
2016 1st round
Corey Coleman, WR
2nd round
Emmanuel Ogbah, DE
3rd round
Carl Nassib, DE
Shon Coleman, T
Cody Kessler, QB
2017 1st round
Myles Garret, DE
Jabril Peppers, S
David Njoku, TE,
2nd Round
Deshone Kizer, QB
3rd round
Larry Ogunjobi, DT
2018 1st round
Baker Mayfield, QB
Denzel Ward, CB
2nd round
Austin Corbett, C
Nick Chubb, RB
3rd round
Chad Thomas, DE

In 5 years they had 25 3rd round or higher picks. 2017 was the ONLY year they didn't have 2 or 3 picks in the 1st round alone.
In all but one year they drafted a QB in the 3rd or above.
Twice they took a C in the first or 2nd.

So on and so forth, WR, RB, OL...

Hell I could've gotten them to a playoff game.

I guess in the end it doesn't really matter how many high picks you have, what position player you pick, if you're the Browns you'll find a way to Brown it up.
The 2 seasons before BM showed up? They were 1-31.

They went 7-8-1 in his rookie season.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The 2 seasons before BM showed up? They were 1-31.

They went 7-8-1 in his rookie season.
and despite what he tried to say not a lot of talent yet on that 2018 team. Especially on offense.

Not sure why he listed a bunch of bad picks when no one has said some past regimes were awful to beyond awful.

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,296.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and despite what he tried to say not a lot of talent yet on that 2018 team. Especially on offense.

Not sure why he listed a bunch of bad picks when no one has said some past regimes were awful to beyond awful.
Yeah, a true head scratcher.

They weren't loaded with talent or anything.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, a true head scratcher.

They weren't loaded with talent or anything.
I guess you could say by 2021 (or even 2020) there was some talent on the roster....enough to go far with good QB play but even then he needed help. The D was awful in 2020.

2018, though? As you said, headscratcher. Hell, he even went earlier than that all the way back to 2014. Really, what I think he may have done was instead of simply own he was wrong he tried to deflect on how bad the Browns were at drafting, for sure back in 2014-15.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's a victory for the Browns if Watson can eventually play and do what most think he's capable of doing.
Which is the only option for any long standing Browns fan. Desperate fans such as Cleveland's, will pull for THE scumbag and make excuses IF he plays as expected. It is what it is.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Which is the only option for any long standing Browns fan. Desperate fans such as Cleveland's, will pull for THE scumbag and make excuses IF he plays as expected. It is what it is.
And those on the other side of the coin will assume the player is guilty of what he's being accused. Also what it is.

Not sure anyone here has said they think Watson did nothing wrong.

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,296.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Zeke a scumbag also?

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You really think all Browns fans will cheer that scumbag on? Never a good idea to lump all fans into the same category.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You really think all Browns fans will cheer that scumbag on? Never a good idea to lump all fans into the same category.
Buddy of mine who is from Cleveland and still lives there - hugely disappointed they signed Watson. He'll still be cheering the team on, but isn't happy with the direction the ownership chose in both trading for Watson, and how the handled the entire situation.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And those on the other side of the coin will assume the player is guilty of what he's being accused. Also what it is.

Not sure anyone here has said they think Watson did nothing wrong.
Pull up the lace panties and stop being defensive. You've proven to be one of the main reasons lately why a person has gotta love this place