• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Is Baker Mayfield a Bust?

Is Baker Mayfield a Bust?

• Yes

Votes: 35 26.5%
  • No

Votes: 50 37.9%
  • Will tell you at the end of the season

Votes: 35 26.5%
  • Taters

Votes: 12 9.1%

• Total voters

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Answering OP question, yes he's a bust. However I a see a long career as a back up QB in the league.

29-30 in four years with a road playoff win is a bust?

We have different definitions of QB's that are busts.

If BM's a bust what do you call these former QB's? (1)Jamarcus Russell, (2)Ryan Leaf, (3)Akili Smith?

1: 7-18 / 52.1% completion / 18 TD's & 23 int's

2: 4-17 / 48.4% / 14 TD's & 36 int's

3: 3-14 / 46.6% / 5 TD's & 13 int's

I'm Browns fan, obviously, but I'm not a BM fan. Was disappointed when my team drafted him.

Are you willing to say that BM is on the same QB level as those three former players?

fastforward

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,832.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That isn’t funny
It wasn't intended to be funny. 1st round rookies get 3 years of guarantees. If you're cut before the end of your 2nd year, (other than for injury), you're a bust. I'd call Titans 2020 pick Isaiah Wilson a bust.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
May.png

About what I figured, Browns over played their hand early on and teams went a different route.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is no reason to take on nearly all of his deal this soon. It's clear any cap savings will be used for future seasons anyway.
Well as noted Panthers dropped out of pursuing Mayfield and drafted a QB, Colts traded for Ryan, Falcons went with Mariota and a rookie QB, Washington traded for Wentz, Steelers traded for Trubs and drafted a rookie QB. It's like a game of musical chairs and Mayfield is the one left without a chair when the music stopped. So I guess maybe there was a reason to do so.

Last edited:

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mary Kay.png

I like the sentence "Cleveland is prepared to pay if they can't work out a trade" No kidding, the contract is guaranteed so they don't have a choice about paying him if they fail to trade him. Mayfield a no show at OTAs, what a surprise.

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As has been said at nauseum they will sit on him until a team needs a qb. If it gets to being in season then obviously they'd be more willing/have to eat his contract but at a more premium draft pick.

They aren't cutting him. That's not happening.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As has been said at nauseum they will sit on him until a team needs a qb. If it gets to being in season then obviously they'd be more willing/have to eat his contract but at a more premium draft pick.

They aren't cutting him. That's not happening.
Hey the Browns can just keep him.Nobody has a problem with that ( except Mayfield of course).

Last edited:

fastforward

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,832.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
View attachment 297638

About what I figured, Browns over played their hand early on and teams went a different route.
To me the key words in there are:

"A Mayfield release contains no offset language..."

Effectively he could sign elsewhere for whatever he was worth as a FA. The minimum wage signing theory would be out the window. I don't doubt the media source made some phone calls and did some digging but it all still sounds like speculation. Then again if I were in the Panthers position i'd be asking for the Browns to cover that much of Mayfield's salary. It's a starting point for negotiations.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didn't he get injured week 2? Maybe for a week he was leading?

He has always been near the bottom of the league in accuracy and has never been accurate at all from what my eyes and that stat (since you brought it up) tell me. I still don't think his injury affected him very much last year. Wasn't it Lawrence that had that injury in his non-throwing shoulder most of his College career?
It was definitely a small sample size but at time was 40-49. would add most players in all major sports don't play with his injury....not sure about TL.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Look at Landry, OBJ and Hunts catch % before they Baker as their QB. And then with Baker.

It’s very telling.
I mean, Landry gets a lot more yards/completion with Baker....also could make a strong case his best season was in 2019...with baker.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
View attachment 297638

overplayed early on? Were you in the talks and know what they were offered?

Hell, even in this story no one says what the Panthers were willing to offer with the Browns covering the $13-14 mil they wanted.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
overplayed early on? Were you in the talks and know what they were offered?

Hell, even in this story no one says what the Panthers were willing to offer with the Browns covering the $13-14 mil they wanted.
That's right no talk about compensation for the Browns because it appears the Panthers weren't willing to take on much of the salary ( understandable after taking on Darold salary and eating Bridgewater contract) and unless the Browns were willing to pay 13-14 million of Mayfield salary the Panthers weren't interested in Mayfield period. So no need to go further and talk about compensation, Panthers just moved on to other solutions. This is how I figured the discussions on Mayfield went. Teams wanted Browns to first agree to pay the bulk of Mayfield salary and they weren't willing to apparently so that was that and so Mayfield remains a Brown, maybe for entire season. Getting 19 million for back up clip board holder is a good gig if you can get it.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's right no talk about compensation for the Browns because it appears the Panthers weren't willing to take on much of the salary ( understandable after taking on Darold salary and eating Bridgewater contract) and unless the Browns were willing to pay 13-14 million of Mayfield salary the Panthers weren't interested in Mayfield period. So no need to go further and talk about compensation, Panthers just moved on to other solutions. This is how I figured the discussions on Mayfield went. Teams wanted Browns to first agree to pay the bulk of Mayfield salary and they weren't willing to apparently so that was that and so Mayfield remains a Brown, maybe for entire season. Getting 19 million for back up clip board holder is a good gig if you can get it.
OK, but doesn't it matter what the compensation is for the Browns? I mean, if they want the Browns to pay $13-14 mil but will then offer a 2nd rounder doesn't that make a difference?

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OK, but doesn't it matter what the compensation is for the Browns? I mean, if they want the Browns to pay $13-14 mil but will then offer a 2nd rounder doesn't that make a difference?
It appears Mayfield salary was a big concern for teams with mild interest in Mayfield and agreeing to pay the bulk was step one that had to be agreed on before proceeding any further. I very much doubt teams were willing to give a 2nd round pick even if the Browns agreed to paying that amount. Think any deal would of been much closer to the Bridgewater to Broncos deal, think the Panthers got a 6th round pick out of the deal ( and paid 17 out 20 million), that is what Mayfield value was on the trade market. Now not sure there is any trade market for him now.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean, Landry gets a lot more yards/completion with Baker....also could make a strong case his best season was in 2019...with baker.
Yards per completion doesn’t mean much when you catch percentage drops by ten and your yards per game goes down.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It appears Mayfield salary was a big concern for teams with mild interest in Mayfield and agreeing to pay the bulk was step one that had to be agreed on before proceeding any further. I very much doubt teams were willing to give a 2nd round pick even if the Browns agreed to paying that amount. Think any deal would of been much closer to the Bridgewater to Broncos deal, think the Panthers got a 6th round pick out of the deal ( and paid 17 out 20 million), that is what Mayfield value was on the trade market. Now not sure there is any trade market for him now.
Seems like the deals for Wentz and Darnold might also be decent comparisons, no?

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yards per completion doesn’t mean much when you catch percentage drops by ten and your yards per game goes down.
If you are getting 13-14 yards/catch vs. 9-10 it doesn't make a difference?