• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Is Baker Mayfield a Bust?

Is Baker Mayfield a Bust?

• Yes

Votes: 35 26.5%
  • No

Votes: 50 37.9%
  • Will tell you at the end of the season

Votes: 35 26.5%
  • Taters

Votes: 12 9.1%

• Total voters

michaeljordan_fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bump:

What do the Cleveland fans think now?

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bump:

Hard to say. Obviously for cleveland they didn't get the ROI. Looking back I wish he'd not played through the injury and they hung on to him as the investment he was.

His last healthy year they nearly made the afc championship. But I will also acknowledge some things like his tendency to miss high on receivers was a problem.

We will see. But I Definitely think he's going to be a starter in this league for quite a while.

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I would have told you 5 years ago that Cleveland would draft a QB with a first overall pick and this QB would take his team to the AFC championship in his third year, you would tell me that this guy was probably pretty darn good (at the very least). His fall is pretty remarkable.... Especially given that he played hurt for the entire season last year.

I guess the thing that I keep coming back to is whether he is not a good teammate or if he has issues with leadership that are needed at the QB position. I do think it's weird that former teammates haven't come out to defend him. He sort of strikes me as a Jeff George type player in this way.

If I had a team that had some decent talent but no long-term solution at QB, I would take a chance on him. I thought a team like Detroit would have made a lot of sense.

Stakesarehigh

Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I would have told you 5 years ago that Cleveland would draft a QB with a first overall pick and this QB would take his team to the AFC championship in his third year, you would tell me that this guy was probably pretty darn good (at the very least). His fall is pretty remarkable.... Especially given that he played hurt for the entire season last year.

I guess the thing that I keep coming back to is whether he is not a good teammate or if he has issues with leadership that are needed at the QB position. I do think it's weird that former teammates haven't come out to defend him. He sort of strikes me as a Jeff George type player in this way.

If I had a team that had some decent talent but no long-term solution at QB, I would take a chance on him. I thought a team like Detroit would have made a lot of sense.

His fall correlates pretty closely with having been injured. Now again it's not to say he's some sterling teammate but I think all that's overblown. But yea definitely didn't see us in this spot a little over a year after the success the Browns had.

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,296.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
His fall correlates pretty closely with having been injured. Now again it's not to say he's some sterling teammate but I think all that's overblown. But yea definitely didn't see us in this spot a little over a year after the success the Browns had.
Yep.

Some team is going to trade for him.

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The thing that is fucked up is that he could have easily just sat out with the shoulder injury. If the Browns would have struggled to win with Case Keenum playing, Mayfield would have been seen as the missing piece from a disappointing year. Instead he had the injury, the OBJ stuff and the looming 5th year on the contract.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I've heard 2 players asked about him and both gave positive answers....Ward and Joe Burrow. Idea teammates don't like him is a guess at best. Isn't to say none don't like him.

As to teammates defending him, defend him for what? Also, does it mean they don't like him if they spoke to him privately and not through the Twitter or IG world (as Ward has)?

as to the topic. I'd say too early to call him a bust (as was too early last season to be sure he was a franchise guy). But we'll have a better idea next time he plays.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The thing that is fucked up is that he could have easily just sat out with the shoulder injury. If the Browns would have struggled to win with Case Keenum playing, Mayfield would have been seen as the missing piece from a disappointing year. Instead he had the injury, the OBJ stuff and the looming 5th year on the contract.
In addition, if he sits out his critics then say "he was cleared by docs to play and didn't? He's soft/selfish."

Stakesarehigh

Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yea. Credit to him gritting it out but it ended up being a bad decision both health and career wise. But because he also had a bad 2nd year it makes you wonder which version of Baker is the real one. Obviously the Browns felt they needed an upgrade with the other talent on the roster.

Stakesarehigh

Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In addition, if he sits out his critics then say "he was cleared by docs to play and didn't? He's soft/selfish."

Hopefully he thinks twice of taking on a defender like he did after a pick. If he handles that better he never gets injured.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea. Credit to him gritting it out but it ended up being a bad decision both health and career wise. But because he also had a bad 2nd year it makes you wonder which version of Baker is the real one. Obviously the Browns felt they needed an upgrade with the other talent on the roster.
I would like to see one of those movies/shows where they change a narrative and write the story based on that. Meaning, what happens if he just stops playing after he was first injured?

He'd have been coming off a solid 2020 AND started the season playing well in the short time before the injury. So many ways it could go.

Stakesarehigh

Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would like to see one of those movies/shows where they change a narrative and write the story based on that. Meaning, what happens if he just stops playing after he was first injured?

He'd have been coming off a solid 2020 AND started the season playing well in the short time before the injury. So many ways it could go.

Yep he was leading the league in accuracy until the injury.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bump:

Been calling him a jackass in cleats from the moment my team drafted him.

But some people might have a different definition of bust.

Before he got to Cleveland the Browns had won 4 games in 3 season. His rookie year he went 6-7. His third year in the league went 11-5 and won a road playoff game.

He's 29-30 as a starter. Not the best of records for a QB taken that high after four seasons. But not the worst either. I'm not ready to label him a bust just yet.

Now these former QB's that were high picks are true busts- Akili Smith (# 3), Ryan Leaf (# 2), Jamarcus Russell (# 1). Do you think Mayfield's in the same category as those three?

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep he was leading the league in accuracy until the injury.
Didn't he get injured week 2? Maybe for a week he was leading?

He has always been near the bottom of the league in accuracy and has never been accurate at all from what my eyes and that stat (since you brought it up) tell me. I still don't think his injury affected him very much last year. Wasn't it Lawrence that had that injury in his non-throwing shoulder most of his College career?

Stakesarehigh

Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didn't he get injured week 2? Maybe for a week he was leading?

He has always been near the bottom of the league in accuracy and has never been accurate at all from what my eyes and that stat (since you brought it up) tell me. I still don't think his injury affected him very much last year. Wasn't it Lawrence that had that injury in his non-throwing shoulder most of his College career?

He was definitely not bottom of the league in 2020.

Stakesarehigh

Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dude goes 26 tds 8 picks a 96 rating and damn near makes an afc championship and has people out here talking like dude was trash in 2020.