• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Is Amari Cooper the best WR in the draft?

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
unfortunately he hasnt done much in pre-season till now. Is it Carr?

He has had a really, really good preseason. I bet he is top 10 or so in the league in receiving yards this preseason (I can't find a stat site for preseason).

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dnp game 1
3 catches 22 yards game 2

1 catch 40 yards game 3
4 catches 62 yards game 4( but had 9 targets)

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dnp game 1
3 catches 22 yards game 2

1 catch 40 yards game 3
4 catches 62 yards game 4( but had 9 targets)

Oak has only played 3 games so far and Amare has played in each one.

NFL Stats: by Player Category

He is 12th in receiving yards in the preseason this year.

All those numbers are essentially put up in 6 quarters of playing time. You prorate that over a year and he has 1300+ yards at the pace he was on during the preseason.

And what is most impressive is not the final stats but how he has actually looked. Look at that gif hammer posted. That is one of the best CB's in the league he has turned around.

Essentially he has already shown that he has elite quickness and route running already. Everyone who saw him in college knew that was probably going to be the case with him already....but it is nice to see in real life as some top skill position players come out of the draft and it turns out they just looked elite in college because of the level of competition they were playing against. That's not going to be the case with Cooper.

Last edited:

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Coverages in preseason are all screwy. I wouldn't trust numbers a whole ton yet. Cooper certainly doesn't look lost out there.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
unfortunately he hasnt done much in pre-season till now. Is it Carr?

You answered your own question. It's pre-season. Limited number of snaps and plays.

Sure, but as a rookie I just don't think he catches many passes. First of all, you're talking about an offense that throws it only about 25-27 times a game. Then he's going to be in line behind Graham, Baldwin, Kearse, and probably even Lynch & Luke W for targets. Eventually he'll be more of a prominent part of the passing game, but I can't see him catching more than a couple passes a game as a rook.

Edit: and just to add, I doubt Seattle's FO looks at Lockett as someone they "threw away" picks on. He's played in 3 pre-season games and has 2 return TDs and a couple other sizeable ones. That's a huge impact on the game and quite a jump up from what we had last year in the return game.

Carr attempted nearly 600 passes last year in 16 games. That works out to nearly 38 passes a game.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cooper has definitely shown this preseason that if he can stay healthy he can have a long and very successful career. The guy is already a great route runner which is one of the things most college players are lacking. He has decent hands and very good speed. I think his biggest issue could be the team he plays for though. Derek Carr while better than anything Oakland has thrown out there for a while at the QB position is at best middle of the pack in my opinion. He has the worst QB rating in the NFL with pressure in his face. It is why last year he had such a low yards per attempt (one of the biggest stats that show success for a QB). He was getting rid of the football so quickly with his fear of pressure. While Oakland's OL is improved over last year and his weapons are improved he is still going to face a ton of pressure. Now with a year of tape on the kid teams realize you throw pressure at him and he is going to make mistakes. Until he proves otherwise teams are just going to blitz the heck out of him and force him to beat them in those situations. So again I see that being the biggest issue for Cooper reaching his full potential in WR has always been a QB dependent position.

BHF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,037.71
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think Seattle will always be a run-heavy team. When Lynch slows down in the next 0-3 years, they'll probably pivot to a more pass happy team like the Steelers did when they developed Big Ben

Absolutely. Probably not this year, but I agree that the transition will happen soon. Hopefully by then they will have found or developed another weapon besides Graham. Lockett can already stretch the field vertically and the team has plans to groom him into the Tate/Harvin role of being the guy to expand the field horizontally as well, I'm sure.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thank you. Being a good return man doesn't not equate to being a good corner. Dude gets smoked constantly.
It wasn't always the case but he wasn't a shut down guy last year and a lot of the issues people thought he had coming out of college are becoming more common.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It wasn't always the case but he wasn't a shut down guy last year and a lot of the issues people thought he had coming out of college are becoming more common.

He is a high risk/high reward type Corner in my opinion. He is too dependent on his athletic ability to make plays. His problem is in technique in I just haven't seen the growth in that department for him like many other corners. The top guys in the league are the top guys because they consistently week in and week out win their match ups with superior technique. Yes they might have a bad game or a bad play but Peterson seems to have at least a 3-4 game stretch every year where he just looks lost as a corner.

Against Cooper you can see it where because of bad technique on that play he just doesn't have his feet underneath him. He is completely susceptible to WR's with superior footwork to really use their feet to confuse him. We saw it with Julio Jones last year where Julio had a few plays that just made him look silly.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Absolutely. Probably not this year, but I agree that the transition will happen soon. Hopefully by then they will have found or developed another weapon besides Graham. Lockett can already stretch the field vertically and the team has plans to groom him into the Tate/Harvin role of being the guy to expand the field horizontally as well, I'm sure.

Lockett already expands the field horizontally. He was uncoverable in college at all levels of the field. The kid is amazing and deserved a much better fate than that Seahawks passing game. But I hope they use him. I'm a big fan.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lockett already expands the field horizontally. He was uncoverable in college at all levels of the field. The kid is amazing and deserved a much better fate than that Seahawks passing game. But I hope they use him. I'm a big fan.
He's an immediate impact player from the slot and return game. Sleeper ROY candidate.

PhoenixEagles1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,730.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really like the Cards, their D and their coach. I do have to agree that Patrick Peterson is the most over rated player in the entire NFL though. He makes high light INT's with absolutely remarkable athleticism and was a huge threat in the return game... but dude gets ABUSED every week. Patrick Peterson made Jeremy Maclin look like Randy Moss circa 1999.

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3