• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Interesting Tweet regarding UNC

uncfan103

Not Banned
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,333.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Since this seems to be the talk about Carolina thread, and nobody would read the UNC board...i would like to say that Dwight Jones was banned from Carolinas pro day today (for hosting his new years eve "sexy casual" party).

ckhokie

Supporting Member Level 69
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
[YOUTUBE]i-OnyuJTm7s[/YOUTUBE]

Hokie200proof

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Since this seems to be the talk about Carolina thread, and nobody would read the UNC board...i would like to say that Dwight Jones was banned from Carolinas pro day today (for hosting his new years eve "sexy casual" party).

Oh wow.

All is forgiven then.

HokieGhost

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
ACC Publicly Reprimands University Of North Carolina

QUOTE:

The reprimand was issued by the committee to the University of North Carolina for its responsibility for the major violations documented in the NCAA infractions report. The committee was particularly concerned with the actions of personnel who committed serious NCAA violations regarding impermissible benefits, academic fraud and impermissible assistance, and/or improper relationships with sports agents. The reprimand also highlighted that the breadth and nature of the violations in this case should serve as a reminder of the importance of due diligence related to the personnel that interact with student-athletes and the importance of academic integrity as an ACC core principle.

I have to admit I was not expecting to hear anything from the ACC on this case.

VTscores

Observer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Yes, that's quite the response.

A sternly written letter. I suppose it's better than nothing, but it seems that the NCAA punishment was timed in such a way as to minimally affect recruiting.

Hokie200proof

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At this point I'm expecting Miami to get a snide someecard for their alleged misdeeds. Seems like it pays to play the game. The NCAA is as gutless and powerless as I had feared.

HokieGhost

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Umm....wow! Don't know if this will open the investigation by the NCAA back up, but holy cow. What a crooked system they had going over there at UNC.

Report finds academic fraud evidence in UNC department - North Carolina - NewsObserver.com

Here's the quote I found to be totally incredible:

The report, released Friday, evolved from the athletic and academic scandal that engulfed UNC’s football team, but it said there is no evidence that student-athletes received more favorable treatment than students who were not athletes. It also said that no student received a grade without doing course work. The report has been shared with the NCAA, which could not be reached for immediate comment.

How many of the total students who took these courses were athletes? What percentage of all students who took these courses were athletes? Does it really matter if athletes received more favorable treatment than the other students who took the courses when it is now known academic fraud was being committed at UNC's flagship university?

Was any of this covered in the most recent NCAA investigation of UNC? How much is new information and should be subject to a new NCAA investigation?

robV703

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
fuck UNC.

URZK5.png

LIYJ0.png

Lumbee09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And to think... I was about to change my signature. Looks like it's staying a little while longer.

HokieGhost

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Uh-oh....

UNC football, basketball players 39 percent of suspect classes

QUOTE:

University officials say they found no evidence that the suspect classes were part of a plan between Nyang’oro and the athletic department to create classes that student-athletes could pass so they could maintain their eligibility. They said student athletes were treated no differently in the classes than students who were not athletes.

But the high percentages of student athletes in the classes suggest to some that academic advisers and others may have guided them to the classes.

“These kids are putting in enormous amounts of time, and in at least some of the sports that are very physically demanding, they are missing a number of classes because of conflicts, and then if they are a marginal student to begin with, you’ve got to send them to Professor Nyang’oro’s class,” said former state Supreme Court Justice Robert Orr. “I think the academic counselors realized that and the tutors recognized it and frankly the folks up the food chain for the most part recognized it. But nobody wants to rock the boat because it’s big money.”

Keep that signature, Lumbee09....I think you'll definitely need it for a while.

Smart

Asshat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
it's the N&O, so take it with a grain of salt, but I thought we'd be hearing a little more than this.

On the other UNC scandal, the NCAA is quiet - UNC academic scandal - NewsObserver.com

I've said it before, but if the NCAA were to punish schools for identifying joke classes and encouraging poor students to take them, there isn't a school in the country that would be safe. Unless the athletic department worked with Mr. Nyang'oro to create these joke classes, I don't think the NCAA can act without setting a dangerous precedent.

hokiegrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've said it before, but if the NCAA were to punish schools for identifying joke classes and encouraging poor students to take them, there isn't a school in the country that would be safe. Unless the athletic department worked with Mr. Nyang'oro to create these joke classes, I don't think the NCAA can act without setting a dangerous precedent.

Take that last sentence, substitute the more general "booster x" for Mr. Nyang'oro's name and the more general "setup some form of impermissible benefits" for "create these joke classes" and see how much you still like that last sentence.

I don't disagree that this kind of things goes on all over the place. It shouldn't, though. And it does break NCAA rules, so when it's found it should be an NCAA matter. We can debate how seriously it should be punished, but I don't see how you can say it shouldn't be punished in some fashion.

Chrish1023

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did anyone else see how Cal Tech athletics got put on probation for like 3 seasons? Something to do with players "shopping" for classes and technically being ineligible during that time. The NCAA is such a joke!

Ragingcroc

mcklSJDFIOj
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Take that last sentence, substitute the more general "booster x" for Mr. Nyang'oro's name and the more general "setup some form of impermissible benefits" for "create these joke classes" and see how much you still like that last sentence.

I don't disagree that this kind of things goes on all over the place. It shouldn't, though. And it does break NCAA rules, so when it's found it should be an NCAA matter. We can debate how seriously it should be punished, but I don't see how you can say it shouldn't be punished in some fashion.
The thing is that isn't an athletics problem at all. Its not like these classes are some big secret or only for athletes.

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
The Nation's Capital (where the news comes from)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I have worked with and around A LOT of student athletes and this is such a cheap and intellectually elitist attitude. It is also flat wrong in many cases. There are bad apples, for sure. However, the prevalence of lazy, slack ass bad apples is actually a bit higher in the general student population than it is in the student athlete population.

90% of the student athletes that I have worked with are hard working, smart students. In addition, their organization and time management skills are a lot better than most undergrads.

I hate the "student athlete" stereotype.....