• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Interesting Thoughts On AP

Greg

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With Stephen Jones confirming that the team will let Murray hit the open market in FA to establish his contract worth on March 10th, you just have to wonder if the Cowboys already have some type of "end-run" gameplan already in mind concerning their ultimate payout and future vision of their RB position. With the current uncertainty in Minny and the words coming from AP's camp, his family, and his agent, towards them moving on from Minny, you almost have wonder if he is just waiting on his reinstatement to the league before things start to come into focus more clearer concerning his real intentions on leaving the Vikes. Does Jerry and Stephen (Garrett will have no choice but to accept their beliefs imo, as this is still Jerry's team), truly believe that they have a shot at AP via some sort of trade after he has been reinstated? I know the Vikes have gone on record as saying that they wouldn't trade him to Dallas, but what if AP refuses to play another game for them and demanded a trade after his reinstatement? Wouldn't they have to look at all the offers on the table in a trade for him? I am against giving up any draft picks for AP, but maybe, just maybe, Jerry and Stephen see things a different way? Romo has about another two to three year window before his team must begin to search for his replacement, could it be that Jerry may be thinking about going all in here after having that convo on his private bus with Romo? I mean, paying 8-10 Mil a season for Murray and guaranteeing money to a RB with issues staying healthy and holding onto the ball, versus waiting until the AP situation plays itself out to see if you can obtain AP for a similar asking price, may be a part of this posturing going on now in regards to FA, their current RB situation, and if they expect to be able to replace Murray in the draft with a rookie RB or FA. And please all you Murray fans out there, don't shoot the messenger. I am just trying to gain a grasp on why and how some of these things may fall into place with some of my thoughts, not any known fact. Here are some interesting comments from Peter King...

"Do you believe that Peterson will ever play for the Vikings again?

King: Well, I think there’s two questions to ask. Will the Vikings release Adrian Peterson? And I think the answer to that is no. Will he ever play for the Vikings again? I think the answer is doubtful. And I think what it means is that somebody out there is going to have to come up with a trade for Adrian Peterson, which is complicated…Let’s just take the Dallas Cowboys, for instance. In my opinion, at least as of now, I doubt sincerely they’ll put the franchise tag on DeMarco Murray, but they still want DeMarco Murray back. If they are stuck with DeMarco Murray and he’s demanding $12 million a year or some huge sum that they don’t want to pay, they could easily say, ‘We’ll let you go,’ make a trade for Adrian Peterson and sign Adrian Peterson to a new contract so they don’t owe him $13 million for this year so they can have a more manageable cap number on their franchise running back for 2015."

This team is certainly in a pickle concerning the status of their RBs right now with both Murray and Randle. Do you pay an injury prone RB just coming off a 400+ carry season "near AP type money", while also facing a serious risk of losing both your franchise RB (Murray to FA) and his back up (Randle to league suspension or being cut). Does this team honestly and seriously believe that they can continue with their game-plan and team identity of running the football down the other team's throat, if they somehow lose both by just using the draft and bargain basement prices?? Interesting to see what they really do have planned here. I just don't see any rookie stepping in and carrying this team right away the way that Murray did this season, and the only hope they have of maintaining their team identity imo, is to either pay Murray and cross your fingers that he doesn't get hurt again, or make a serious run at AP if becomes available. The clock is ticking...

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think if that's the plan, Jerry has taken the reins back from McClay:L

GoreRush

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL. The Cowboys can't afford to sign Murray, what on earth makes you think they can afford to sign AP?

AP has 2,000 carries in the NFL and the year off doesn't help him one bit. He regressed the last half of 2013 and is very likely to regress even more in 2015. Furthermore the 2250 plus total yards Murray put up last year long with around 100 first downs and 13 TD's will not be matched by AP.... or anybody else. There is a limit to the numbers a running back can put up in one season.

Greg

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL. The Cowboys can't afford to sign Murray, what on earth makes you think they can afford to sign AP?

AP has 2,000 carries in the NFL and the year off doesn't help him one bit. He regressed the last half of 2013 and is very likely to regress even more in 2015. Furthermore the 2250 plus total yards Murray put up last year long with around 100 first downs and 13 TD's will not be matched by AP.... or anybody else. There is a limit to the numbers a running back can put up in one season.

You obviously don't understand cap management or the Cowboys. There are always ways for them to sign players and manipulate the cap hits.

Per Peter King:

"The future of the Cowboys backfield could be heavily influenced by what happens next in Minnesota. Sports Illustrated’s Peter King told the Dallas Morning News that the Cowboys, who reportedly have their eyes on Adrian Peterson, could make a move to trade for him if Murray’s price tag appears to be too high."

It's obviously is not a question of "can they sign Murray", or "can they sign AP", it's a matter of what they would be willing to pay for Murray or ANY RB services, and IF they are waiting for AP's situation to play itself out or not. You sound like just another hater with limited football knowledge and in envy of America's team. You already know what AP and Murray's numbers are gong to be next season?? :crazy: Exactly how many carries did AP have last year? Over 400? My bad, that was Murray. Yeah, I'm absolutely positive that all poor lil 'ol Jerry could only come up with is a measly $4Mil a season over 4 years to pay Murray?? :rolleyes2:

Greg

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Per the Dallas Morning News:

"IRVING — Cowboys owner Jerry Jones says it’s not “financially reasonable” to re-sign receiver Dez Bryant and running back DeMarco Murray.

What he’s really saying is that it would hurt his pocketbook to fork over upwards of $25 million in 2015 – franchise tag or not – to bring back both Pro Bowl players under new contracts.

In using sound judgment, it’s not really a sensible move.

But it’s certainly possible. In fact, just about anything is possible in the NFL despite a salary cap in place because of a credit-card approach. Contracts can be restructured to push financial problems down the road by turning base salaries into signing bonus money.

Anyone who thinks the Cowboys couldn’t sign both Bryant and Murray just hasn’t paid attention recently. What’s more: The Cowboys can free up about $44.5 million of salary cap space in 2015 with a few moves. That would certainly allow them to bring back both Bryant and Murray."

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I thought AP was still under contract with Minnesota.

Greg

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tagging Dez also allows this team more time to negotiate a new contract with him IF they indeed did want to wait on the AP situation to play itself out. It would be much easier for them to spread out Dez's signing bonus money and his 1st year salary cap hit over any new long term deal if: 1) they wanted to go after AP later (if he became available down the road before the July 15th tag expiration deadline), and 2) they already knew what numbers they needed to work with in signing both Dez and AP in regards to managing their cap number for 2015. It would probably be impossible to do that later if they signed Dez to a long deal now. Maybe it's not just all about Dez's character issue, mysterious video tape, or his asking price thing that is holding up negotiations after all. Low-balling Murray for $16M over 4 years and their willingness to risk losing him to FA, says a lot here, if that is you are able to read between the lines. Jerry did mention Dez's tag as being a "place-holder". Just some more thoughts....

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think if that's the plan, Jerry has taken the reins back from McClay:L

Frightening, Steven and crew better set him straight before he screws things up. Got too good of a thing going right now to let Jerry fuck it up

Greg

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Adrian Peterson on the trading block after his reinstatement? Check out this report below from a Viking's beat-writer. If true, don't see how AP is heading back to Minny after all the BS there. :argue:

"If it wasn’t painfully obvious when his agent almost came to blows with team officials at the NFL combine, Adrian Peterson’s time in Minnesota is all but officially over. A report from Vikings beat writer Arif Hasan says that the team is trying to offload Peterson “any way they can” despite publicly declaring otherwise.

A couple of weeks ago, team GM Rick Spielman said he expected AP to be a part of the team next year, saying “I think our whole organization is on that same page.” Well, either the whole organization is NOT on that same page, or Spielman was lying/joking/trying to drive up Peterson’s trade value.

Via the report:

[Vikings Territory] The Vikings have been attempting to trade Adrian Peterson for weeks.

"Multiple sources have confirmed to me that the Minnesota Vikings are working as hard as they can to trade Adrian Peterson, and are willing to unload him “any way they can.” Though ownership and the front office have made overtures to keeping Adrian Peterson, the reality is that they are attempting to get him off the team through any means necessary.

It seems obvious now that a split is in everybody’s best interest. Peterson is coming off a lost year, is set to get paid a boat load of money and still hasn’t convinced the league, or the public, that he feels remorse over his actions. The Vikings are turning a new page with Teddy Bridgewater and will have the chance to pick one of the many talented college running backs coming out of this year’s draft. And if AP can go to Dallas or Arizona and play well, good for him. "

Lots of monkey business, behind-the-scenes deception, and smoke screens being thrown out there now from team's front offices...

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Frightening, Steven and crew better set him straight before he screws things up. Got too good of a thing going right now to let Jerry fuck it up
It is hard to knock them when the tough decisions they have made have gotten their cap back in line, while winning the division in the process. Still, I wonder if they aren't a little surprised at the number of teams and dollars rumored to be coming at Murray. I think this might end up like the Josh Hamilton FA deal, where the Rangers let Josh test the waters, and then he was gone. In retrospect, that wasn't the worst day for the club after all

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The good news is that Jerry seems to for hte most part completely handed off the draft to those that know it. I think the Manziel debacle from last year proves that and the good drafts we have had lately ensure that he will keep his nose out of it as much as Jerry can stay out of things. The only way I see him getting involved is if we need a "tiebreaker". I think the main reason for this is Jerry just doesn't know any of the players. He only knows them based on what our guys tell him and maybe based on watching a game on Saturdays in between martinis.

The bad news is that Jerry like any NFL fan knows all of these high priced FAs and certainly has his own opinions on them and that is where I see us getting into trouble. Even worse with our own guys that he not only knows well, but also has a personal relationship with. I don't see him listening to anyone about our guys unless he has to for cap purposes or unless it's a real obvious decision.

Greg

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Vikings Coach Mike Zimmer and GM Rick Spielman, will fly to Houston tomorrow to make a last ditch effort/plea to try and convince AP to stay in Minny (I say that because the team has been in contact with AP recently having open dialogue, so why the need to fly to Houston in person unless to try and change his mind?). My gut feeling is that he wants out and can't give his all any longer to an organization that failed him when he needed them most. Which also explains reports that the Vikes have been trying to trade him (see my post above). There has even been recent reports that AP is even willing to restructure his contract to facilitate a trade. With the status of our RB situation the way it is (Murray getting ready to hit the open market, and his back up, Randle, facing possible league suspension or being cut by team), you certainty have to wonder how this team will retain their team identity of running the football if they lose both. Here are some possible options/scenarios below.

1) AP and Vikes announces (before Murray signs a new deal with another team in FA), that he is staying in Minny. In this case, I think Jerry and team MUST extend Murray before he signs with another team. I know, I know, the RB position has been de-valued over the last few years, and they could POSSIBLY find his replacement in the upcoming draft and/or FA at a much cheaper price tag. But if you say that your team's true identity is running the football, how can you reasonably gamble/risk all of that previous success on a crap shoot rookie in the draft?...or a complete unknown RB in FA? Murray already knows the system, and you could even risk putting more pressure on Romo (again) into making some more of his old mistakes (trying to do everything), if you don't find a legit replacement for Murray. Not only hurting your offense, but your overall team as well (this current offense helps to lessen the exposure of a weak DL constantly having to be on field). Paying Murray hurts your cap numbers and ability to compete if you're thinking post Romo imo, but they almost certainly have to be thinking about Romo's 2 to 3 year window win period now, and not just after that.

2) AP demands a trade, and doesn't want to play for the Vikes anymore before draft. I just don't see them releasing him now anytime soon, as the Vikes would certainly wait until after June 1st to announce any plans of releasing him if they couldn't get AP to restructure any deal to accommodate any trade soon. By that time, our team should, or will, have addressed their now precarious RB situation in the draft, or through FA, if they had already lost Murray to FA imo. I think AP could do wonders for this team behind this OL, and would be the defining piece to a SB run. Heck, this team was one blown call in the GB playoff game away from reaching the NFC title game, even with bad DL play lol. I also expect bigger and better things from Lawrence this season with a full season under his belt, and from this defense in general with a stud DT from this draft. I know that I posted here previously that I wouldn't trade draft picks to acquire AP, but the way things look now, that may be the only way to trade for him. I really do believe that he only want's to play in Dallas, it's just a matter of how that can be facilitated. The Vikes must also understand that AP will be a 30 year old running back heading into the season, and not the AP of old, if they truly want to make a deal for him realistically during this FA period. AP has baggage, a year away from the game, is disgruntled playing there and everyone knows it, so he won't help a rebuilding Vikes team, and is at point in his career now where RBs numbers start to decline, and so they just don't hold the same trade value anymore as once before.

I think this team is at a point now where they must operate under a two year window due to Romo's age and injury history, and if they are going to make any serious run now at one or two SBs, it won't be with a crap shoot rookie from this draft or discount RB in this FA, it will be with either Murray or AP.

Last edited:

Greg

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
...a 30 year old RB with back to back $15Mil cap hits over the next two seasons for the Vikes? Come on, common sense should prevail.:brick:

Greg

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
...and why would AP meet with the Vikes today if he had no intentions of going back there??

"If he's so set on playing elsewhere, why would Adrian Peterson even meet with Zimmer and Spielman today? The Pioneer Press has a potential answer, one which doesn't bode well for the Vikings' chances of winning back Peterson's heart.

"He is only doing it because of his respect for Zimmer," said the source, who spoke on condition of anonymity."

Interesting stuff if true.

Win TWINS!!!

Least Racist Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.74
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
...a 30 year old RB with back to back $15Mil cap hits over the next two seasons for the Vikes? Come on, common sense should prevail.:brick:

His contract isn't guaranteed.

Greg

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
His contract isn't guaranteed.

Trust me, I already know that. If your Vikes wanted to keep AP bad enough though and needed to restructure his $15Mil cap numbers for consecutive seasons, I just don't see AP restructuring anything with team (and that FO), or taking any salary cut. To the contrary, they would possibly even have to guarantee another year or two on his contract to smooth things over. That's why it's pretty obvious that AP has no real financial stability in Minny past 2015. Team can simply cut him next year for whatever reason with no repercussions, and he knows it...

Last edited:

Win TWINS!!!

Least Racist Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.74
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trust me, I already know that. If your Vikes wanted to keep AP bad enough though and needed to restructure his $15Mil cap numbers for consecutive seasons, I just don't see AP restructuring anything with team (and that FO), or taking any salary cut. To the contrary, they would possibly even have to guarantee another year or two on his contract to smooth things over. That's why it's pretty obvious that AP has no real financial stability in Minny past 2015. Team can simply cut him next year for whatever reason with no repercussions, and he knows it...

Vikings traded Matt Cassel after meeting with AP, clearing cap space. Sounds like he's staying put.

Greg

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Vikings traded Matt Cassel after meeting with AP, clearing cap space. Sounds like he's staying put.

It wouldn't have anything to do with Bridgewater being your future would it, and your team getting back better draft picks to use for his replacement in the upcoming draft?? :scratch:

"The Bills will send two undisclosed draft choices to Minnesota, while the Vikings will send an undisclosed draft choice to the Bills with Cassel, the teams announced."

Win TWINS!!!

Least Racist Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.74
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It wouldn't have anything to do with Bridgewater being your future would it, and your team getting back better draft picks?? :scratch:

"The Bills will send two undisclosed draft choices to Minnesota, while the Vikings will send an undisclosed draft choice to the Bills with Cassel, the teams announced."

Well, they are in need of a backup now..... so? Picks were undisclosed, so who knows what round.

Greg

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, they are in need of a backup now..... so? Picks were undisclosed, so who knows what round.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that the Vikes sent their back up QB and a draft pick to the Bills, in exchange for two less insignificant draft picks in return???

:dingdingding: