• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Interesting Nebraska / B10 vs B12 Article

Tharvot

Crusader for Truthiness
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Show us where Osborne was wanting to play Oklahoma and Texas every year.
I'll wait.

Wouldn't the difference there be that OU already was playing Texas and Nebraska every year? Keeping the rivalry alive wouldn't have put any extra undue burden on OU than they already had lived with for a long time.

KansasSooner

Aces & eights
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bob Stoops was not at Oklahoma in 1993 - 1994 - 1995 during the formation of the Big 12.

The Big 12 powers opted to discontinue the game that had defined the Big 8. Why destroy the game that had defined the Big 8 brand? Every TV in America watched Oklahoma/Nebraska on Thanksgiving. Which game was voted the GAME of the CENTURY?

Remember, now it is all about branding. IMHO, the Big 12 made a bad decision.

Not exactly sure what the Big 12 brand game is now? Kansas State playing Baylor? TCU playing West Virginia?

While OU/NU was a good game the game for OU was first and foremost OU/Texas...long before NU became a rival with OU.

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wouldn't the difference there be that OU already was playing Texas and Nebraska every year? Keeping the rivalry alive wouldn't have put any extra undue burden on OU than they already had lived with for a long time.

No, the difference was that 1 was a Conference game and 1 was OOC.
Just like it would be today if they played.

KansasSooner

Aces & eights
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

And yet OU was able to win 6 NC's playing them both, kind of impressive when you think about it. Who else had to play two strong rivals to win NC's? Nebraska didn't, that's for sure.

Tharvot

Crusader for Truthiness
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, the difference was that 1 was a Conference game and 1 was OOC.
Just like it would be today if they played.

So they still played both the games, it was just suddenly unfair because they were all in the same conference? That would be like if Ohio St and Michigan put their rivalry on hiatus when the leaders/legends divisions came out and they were on opposite sides.

Tharvot

Crusader for Truthiness
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And yet OU was able to win 6 NC's playing them both, kind of impressive when you think about it. Who else had to play two strong rivals to win NC's? Nebraska didn't, that's for sure.

exactly, it was a poor excuse that they couldn't play both of them every year.

Wishbone

Robust Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OU only played Nebraska every other year during the Big 12 years due to the North/South configuration.

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So they still played both the games, it was just suddenly unfair because they were all in the same conference? That would be like if Ohio St and Michigan put their rivalry on hiatus when the leaders/legends divisions came out and they were on opposite sides.

Oklahoma has played more all time top 10 teams than any other top 10 team, ever, and it isn't even close.
If Ohio State had 2 all time Top 10 Teams on their schedule every single year, you might have some perspective on it, but you didn't.

Maybe you guys can sack up and schedule another all time Top 10 Team every year for a hundred years, see how it is, then get back to us.

If the Husker wants to paint it like it was all our fault, then fine, all I asked was to show us where they were pushing for the same thing.

How do his balls taste??

Hook'Em0608

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 623.24
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really don't even miss Oklahoma v. Nebraska anymore. It really hasn't been a thing since 1987 anyway (as far as a big deal). That is almost 30 years ago. I don't think Switzer and Osborne are coming back and those who enjoyed that rivalry the most are getting up in age. I barely remember it being a thing at this point. I doubt it does more than become a few game series every decade or so. It's a shame, but it is the reality of the situation.

HuskerinBig10

Dad, World Traveler, Investor, college football
Hoopla Cash
$ 436.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Show us where Osborne was wanting to play Oklahoma and Texas every year.
I'll wait.

You show me where Osborne said he did not want to? I will wait.

Nebraska was not 90% reliant on one state for recruits. Nebraska wishes they had a Texas pipeline, but they did not. The Nebraska geographic location precluded that from ever happening.

Nebraska got a few Texas players each year.

Nebraska's OOC schedules

1980 Utah, Iowa, Penn State, Florida State

1983 Nebraska played Penn State, Minnesota, UCLA, and Syracuse out of conference and played Miami, FL on Miami's home field for the national championship.

1984 Nebraska played Minnesota, UCLA and Syracuse.

1983 Oklahoma played Stanford, Ohio State and Texas.

Tharvot

Crusader for Truthiness
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oklahoma has played more all time top 10 teams than any other top 10 team, ever, and it isn't even close.
If Ohio State had 2 all time Top 10 Teams on their schedule every single year, you might have some perspective on it, but you didn't.

Maybe you guys can sack up and schedule another all time Top 10 Team every year for a hundred years, see how it is, then get back to us.

If the Husker wants to paint it like it was all our fault, then fine, all I asked was to show us where they were pushing for the same thing.

How do his balls taste??

Well considering we play PSU every year and Michigan every year, I'd say that's reasonably close. Not exactly a whole lot of "all time top 10" schools out there to schedule every year.

Well, it certainly wasn't nebraska's fault that OU decided it was too hard to play both UT and Neb each year. OU chose 1 rivalry game over their other one. Oh well, happens. The excuse that "we can't play both our rivals every year because its too hard and unfair" is still chicken shit. Its either important enough to the school to keep going or it isn't.

HuskerinBig10

Hoopla Cash
$ 436.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

How do his balls taste??

Where did I say it was all Oklahoma's fault? I just said the AD Donnie Duncan is quoted as saying they did not want to play both Nebraska and Texas each year. WHich was a valid point, playing tough games is not easy on a team.

I apologize, the actual quote was something like "Bill doesn't play Texas every year." Bill Byrne was complaining how Nebraska wasn't getting to play Oklahoma each year, which took the tough game off of Nebraska's schedule.

Expansion Won't Alter OU-UT Game | News OK

Sorry, I rustled your feathers outofyourmind.

Wild Turkey

Sarcasm: Just one of my many services.
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
-
Not sure about that, not every member of the Big 10 is an AAU school

Doesn't matter when half the SEC has a higher ranking in US News and World Report you aren't getting in the B1G.

Tharvot

Crusader for Truthiness
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Hornsstampede2.0

Guy Who Never Responds
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nebraska #99
OKlahoma #106

Not a huge difference, neither is an AAU school.
Both would rank dead last in the Big 10.

OU has the bigger brand name, so I don't know why the B1G would take a non AAU school like Nebraska over Oklahoma for a difference of 7 spots in US News.

That would be very hypocritical and impossible to spin for the Big 10.

HuskerinBig10

Hoopla Cash
$ 436.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nebraska #99
OKlahoma #106

Not a huge difference, neither is an AAU school.
Both would rank dead last in the Big 10.

OU has the bigger brand name, so I don't know why the B1G would take a non AAU school like Nebraska over Oklahoma for a difference of 7 spots in US News.

That would be very hypocritical and impossible to spin for the Big 10.

I don't expect anything less from Hornstampede on ignoring facts.

I won't go into what school was in the AAU at the time the invite was extended. I won't mention that if the University of Nebraska Medical Center wasn't under its own charter, then the AAU status would never had been voted on. I won't mention that maybe just maybe there was a rumor that Oklahoma and five other Big 12 schools were going to join the PAC 10 in 2010. I also won't mention that even in September 2011, the Big Ten was NEVER mentioned as one of the conferences for Oklahoma, but the PAC 12 was.

I will mention this, what school that was a former member of the Big 12 still has the second most conference championships of all sports in the Big 12, even though that school has not been a member since 2010-2011 season?

What school leads the nation in Academic All Americans in ALL SPORTS and in football?

I will also mention that Oklahoma routinely ranks last or second to last in the Big 12 in GSR or APR.

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When Nebraska was in the Big 12 Texas Tech and Oklahoma State were top 5 teams. Big 12 South had 4 teams ranked in the top 10 so not sure I agree with you there.

those years, Big12 South was like the SEC West today.

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All I know is, I really enjoyed it when Nebraska came to town for a game. I still remember one of if not the first one. Nebraska was huge, and it was like CFB nirvana. Matthew McConnahay inside the 10 yard line, encouraging the Texas player to score...Or one of the last games, when Jamaal Charles ran for 200 yards or so in the fourth quarter to lead Texas to a win.

The conference took a big hit when Nebraska left, imo.