• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Interesting Nebraska / B10 vs B12 Article

Wishbone

Robust Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mad Chatter: How West Virginia football stole all of Nebraska's fun - Omaha.com: Big Red Today - Husker Football News, Schedules And Videos

I thought that this Omaha World Herald article on Nebraska and the B10 was pretty interesting.

I agree with the author that Nebraska's schedule sucks, they have no rivals (other than crappy Iowa), no regional games and no chance to prove themselves in a bad conference.

Here is the article copy and pasted.....

Saturday night I’m walking to my car at 21st and R Streets (a long way from Memorial Stadium) when I got to thinking about Nebraska football’s sad relationship with the Big Ten.
(I know, I know, this blog is not always the rosiest way to start your Monday morning.)
I’m not talking about road games 1,000 miles away or manufactured trophy games or the league’s crummy national reputation, which Husker fans used to mock but now own. I’m talking about the actual football on the field.
Let’s pretend that Nebraska stayed in the Big 12 and West Virginia never received an invitation. Let’s give NU the Mountaineers’ 2014 home conference schedule. Ready?

Oklahoma

Kansas

Baylor

TCU

Kansas State

I don’t have enough exclamation points at my disposal for that list. I get pumped just thinking about it. That’s a schedule from paradise, full of teams with speed and skill (OK, not so much Kansas). Or maybe it just seems that way based on Nebraska’s rice-cake diet this fall. Ready? Are you sure?

Illinois

Rutgers

Purdue

Minnesota

I don’t know whether to laugh or cry. Look at those two schedules. Look at 'em! The latter looks like an old catcher's mitt. It must be a sick joke, right?
Basically, Nebraska received this memo in 2010: "Congratulations, you’ve been promoted to the most distinguished conference in America. You’ve been given a lifeboat out of a league polluted by Texas politics. It’s your lucky day!"
The 2014 memo goes like this: "Sorry, your dates with Michigan and Ohio State have been replaced by Rutgers and Illinois. You can’t get a lick of national respect even after an 8-1 start. And that despicable Big 12 you left? Well, your old nemesis is a punchline, your little brother down Highway 77 turned into a Top-10 program and the league has never been more fun."
Seriously, what evil man is pulling the strings on this?
(One thing worth pointing out: Based on the facts Harvey Perlman and Tom Osborne had in 2010, I believe they made the prudent decision. The 12-team Big Ten did look more attractive. The Big 12 did appear doomed. Unfortunately, the facts changed.)
On the way home Saturday night, I asked Twitter followers to name the second-best team Nebraska has beaten this year (assuming Miami is the first). A few folks said Northwestern. A few said McNeese State. A few said “themselves.” There is no right answer.
The four Big Ten teams Nebraska has beaten are a combined 4-14 in the league (4-10 omitting the losses to NU). The first three teams -- Illinois, Northwestern and Rutgers -- lost Saturday by a combined score of 140-21.
All this criticism sounds like I’m dogging Nebraska. But honestly, that’s really not it. I think Nebraska is actually pretty good. But nine games into the season, there’s no way to prove it! Nobody knows.
If you’re one of those fans arguing that NU deserves more respect nationally, I admire your loyalty. But good grief, on what basis could you possibly build an argument?
These are the records of the seven FBS opponents Nebraska has beaten:

Florida Atlantic: 3-6

Fresno State: 3-6

Miami: 6-3

Illinois: 4-5

Northwestern: 3-5

Rutgers: 5-4

Purdue: 3-6

(Nebraska’s eight FBS victims in 2013 weren’t much better: 38-60 overall. Only Georgia won eight games).
Sugarcoating the 2014 schedule and spinning 8-1 as a notable accomplishment isn’t being a good fan. It’s being delusional.
Which brings us to Nov. 15, probably an elimination game in the Big Ten West.
Wisconsin has its flaws, most notably a gaping hole at quarterback. Just a month ago, the Badgers lost at Northwestern, which couldn’t tie its shoes Saturday in Iowa City. This is not Russell Wilson’s team from 2011.
But the Badgers are likely to be ranked in the Top 25. They almost beat LSU. They have a Heisman candidate in Melvin Gordon. Their defense is good.
Beating Wisconsin won’t make Nebraska a national story; that opportunity doesn’t come until Indianapolis. But it will give us an idea -- finally! -- of where the Huskers really are. Contender or pretender.
Plus, I guarantee it’ll be more interesting than West Virginia’s opponent on Nov. 15.
“Bye.”

Churchillin

Hoopla Cash
$ 216.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Win a B1G championship first. Then and only then do I give permission to write a snarky column like this!

potzer25

The most eubillicant poster.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,909.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty sad

ralphiewvu

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,751.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We're in the B12 and there's no where else I'd rather be! :yahoo:

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OU/Nebraska guys, has there been any talk of playing this game yearly as an OOC game?
If not then you should IMO. UGA/GT, USCe/Clemson, UF/FSU, WVU/VT (will soon be playing again) all do it.

would be a good thing for both as well as the rest of CFB IMO, I always enjoyed that one.

Wild Turkey

Sarcasm: Just one of my many services.
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:pop2:

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:badmin:

TigerBait1971

Roll Tide? What? FUCK YOU! lolz
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nebraska board.

BucksFanInGA

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Meh. Big 12 still has no major media markets outside of Texas and is still dominated by Texas politically. We'll see if this conference holds up for the long term or not.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Meh. Big 12 still has no major media markets outside of Texas and is still dominated by Texas politically. We'll see if this conference holds up for the long term or not.

I got a bad feeling the Big12 is dead in the water.

Wild Turkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I got a bad feeling the Big12 is dead in the water.

Lack of conference network will eventually catch up and squeeze your schools but OU will have options with the PAC or SEC just might have to split with OSU.

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OU/Nebraska guys, has there been any talk of playing this game yearly as an OOC game?
If not then you should IMO. UGA/GT, USCe/Clemson, UF/FSU, WVU/VT (will soon be playing again) all do it.

would be a good thing for both as well as the rest of CFB IMO, I always enjoyed that one.

I have said for years that Oklahoma/Nebraska should be a yearly game just like when Nebraska was in the Big 8 and Oklahoma played Texas every year. No reason not to. Would eliminate the need to schedule an extra OOC game every year..

Could even do a home/home/neutral site setup with Dallas/KC/someplace in BIG country, as the rotating neutral site. I mean, WTF is wrong with that idea that it isn't happening.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lack of conference network will eventually catch up and squeeze your schools but OU will have options with the PAC or SEC just might have to split with OSU.

Little brother is dragging our ass down.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

WVU to the American Athletic Conference when that happens.

BucksFanInGA

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean obviously OU as well as Texas and I'd imagine most of the other schools will find homes in some AQ conference but I imagine we are going to see a move to 4 super conferences in a new division above non AQ schools sooner than later.

Wheat

High Plains Drifter...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lack of conference network will eventually catch up and squeeze your schools but OU will have options with the PAC or SEC just might have to split with OSU.[/QUOTE

believe me, no OU fans wants little bro tagging along, but the state legislature would probably take a dim view of such happenings.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean obviously OU as well as Texas and I'd imagine most of the other schools will find homes in some AQ conference but I imagine we are going to see a move to 4 super conferences in a new division above non AQ schools sooner than later.

Can we go to the Big 10? We'd own that bitch.

Wild Turkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Last edited by a moderator: