• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Interesting Draft

Taz_Hokie

Ut Prosim
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I never even heard of the kid from Virginia Tech. We'll see.

I'll give you a little run down on him. He's the younger brother of Vincent Fuller (I thought he was still with the Titans, but looks like he's bounced around going from them to you to the Pats). He transferred to VT from Kansas two years ago, his younger brother was coming up through the program and I think he wanted to play with him.

I loved watching him play last year. He didn't get many touches as he wasn't given the starting job until mid year (Beamer is loyal to a fault and the starters have to really fuck up to get pulled, it says something that Fuller got drafted while the guy he replaced didn't). It seemed like every big play, Fuller was on the end of it. He crosses the middle of the field fearlessly, taking big hits and getting right back up, he has "decent" speed, but he's not going to burn anyone. He has some incredible hands and made some ridiculous catches. He's a GREAT competitor and a really great guy, met him at a player meet and greet and he was very respectful and generally awesome.

I may be just a VT homer, but I think you guys picked up a steal.

Last edited by a moderator:

themuzzer

Hoopla Cash
$ 400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not a Hokie hater by any means, but didn't Michigan win the Sugar Bowl two years ago?

I thought a Hokie was a Turkey, I researched some stuff years ago and found out it was a Myth......So what is a Hokie other then what ppl call your team? I lived in Virginia for 4 years and still don't know.

K.J.Ester

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just really hope Reiff surprises and shows that he is capable of being our franchise LT. And I hope Hilliard does the same at RT

Reiff doing well at LT will not surprise me one bit. It is what he was drafted to do last year and I have always believed it is rare for a LT to not need a year to develop. Plus they werent going to put him there until Backus was gone.

Problem is that last year (2012) the top 3 CBs were already off the board when we picked. Claiborne, Gilmore and Kirkpatrick all went in the top 20, we picked at 23. The next CB was Janoris Jenkins, and he didn't go till round 2, so that would have been a big reach to take him.

I never said they had the top two CBs available in yours or Mayocks rankings. I said they had one of the top two CBs in the draft available and passed up on them.

Now let me explain the difference. I said it at the time, and many others said it as well. Jenkins was the second best and maybe even the best CB talent in the draft and if he would not have had off field problems two years before the draft, he would have been ranked like Peterson. It was only the scandals of his earlier problems that knocked him down. I wrote articles about how there was plenty reason to believe he had grown up from those problems. So IMO, YES they did skip the 2nd and maybe the best CB in the draft.

Look at the 2011 draft I just put up as to why that can be a dangerous thing for a team to do- you lamented that we had the #2 CB in the draft available and didn't take him, but said player stinks thus far in his career.

Maybe he stinks. Maybe he will be a bust. I dont complain that they have players busting. I have complained ONLY they they make no attempt to address the weakest position on the team each year with real talent in the early rounds. I wont complain that their late round CBs last year bust. I complain that they wait until the late rounds to even care about the position. If they would have taken a CB in those years and he ended up a bust, I would not have hated them for it. At least they would have shown they wanted to fix the weaknesses on this team.

If Reiff or Fairley would have turned into busts, I would complain and would have every right to, because I have believed all along that they were not necessarily needed to begin with to make this team better at the time they were taken. I believe every draft should be made with the effort to field a better team than the year before. I didnt believe either if them did that. A CB would have done that. So I complained. when they conuously skipped them in early rounds.

THis year after the first round and they skipped the top CB in the draft....AGAIN. Yes I was upset. I full heartedly believe that you need four good starters in the secondary to give your great D-line a chance to make plays. When they took Slay in the second, it satisfied me. I am weary of it because I dont think he is anywhere near as good at stopping the pass as Milliner is, but at least they addressed the position finally in an early round and am willing to wait and see how this guy works out. If Ansah ends up good but not great and Slay only average, and Milliner and Hunt would have been better picks, then I will say I would have been right again. If Slay ends up good and Ansah even good, I will be fine with their draft.

To me this all hangs on how Slay develops. Because I believe you cant have a good defense without at least decent to good starters in the secondary. At least MUCH better than what we were putting across from Houston the last few years!

Ragingcroc

mcklSJDFIOj
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not a Hokie hater by any means, but didn't Michigan win the Sugar Bowl two years ago?

I thought a Hokie was a Turkey, I researched some stuff years ago and found out it was a Myth......So what is a Hokie other then what ppl call your team? I lived in Virginia for 4 years and still don't know.
Yeah on a bullshit call where they reversed a touchdown catch. Denard Robison was pretty locked down the whole game. He didn't do anything on the ground and didn't do much in the air except a couple of lucky plays.

About the hokiebird:
hokiesports.com :: About The HokieBird