• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Interesting Draft

K.J.Ester

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When the Lions skipped Milliner and took Ansah, it made it the third year in a row they had one of the top two CBs available and ignored addressing that weakness to take a DL or OL. I was really disheartened. I was telling everyone that Mayhew and crew were plain dumbasses.

THen they did something I never thought possible. They made me pause and take back my anger to put it away for now.

If I had my way, the Lions would have taken CB-Milliner, DE-Hunt, & C-Barret Jones. ... The Lions drafted DE-Ansah, CB-Slay, & G-Warford. .... Same three positions, three different players.

PErsonally I would have felt safer with my picks, but their picks have a higher upside I think. So now I am in "Wait and See" mode. It puts my anger away and makes me more excited for the season to come. The defense will be much improved IMO. As the year goes on, I will compare my guys to the Lions picks and see if they made the right or wrong choices. But for now, the hope is high and I am happy!

shoktart

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
When the Lions skipped Milliner and took Ansah, it made it the third year in a row they had one of the top two CBs available and ignored addressing that weakness to take a DL or OL. I was really disheartened. I was telling everyone that Mayhew and crew were plain dumbasses.

THen they did something I never thought possible. They made me pause and take back my anger to put it away for now.

If I had my way, the Lions would have taken CB-Milliner, DE-Hunt, & C-Barret Jones. ... The Lions drafted DE-Ansah, CB-Slay, & G-Warford. .... Same three positions, three different players.

PErsonally I would have felt safer with my picks, but their picks have a higher upside I think. So now I am in "Wait and See" mode. It puts my anger away and makes me more excited for the season to come. The defense will be much improved IMO. As the year goes on, I will compare my guys to the Lions picks and see if they made the right or wrong choices. But for now, the hope is high and I am happy!

Seems like a fair and reasonable attitude to have after this draft. I commented yesterday that if I was simply told going into this draft that our first three picks would be DE, CB & OG in some order, I would have been thrilled without even knowing the names. Knowing the names makes me even more excited. However, I totally agree with you that the Lions went the high risk, high reward route. If it pays off it's going to pay off big time.

Day 3 of the draft was a mixed bag for me. I hated the fact that OLB was not addressed AT ALL this offseason. Not in free agency. Not in the draft. I wonder if Mayhew & Schwartz realize that Levy/Palmer is by far the worst starting OLB duo in the entire NFL. And there is zero depth behind them.

I would have traded up to get Greene from Rutgers in the first round. He would have started from Day 1 at OLB for us.

However, the DE from South Carolina has nice upside. Yet another raw athlete, but the extra depth at DE will be nice.

Seems like the Lions were set on getting their punter in Round 5. They had their sights set on 2 different punters, not sure if they got their favorite, but at least they traded down to get an extra pick in the process.

They used that extra pick on a WR, which is fine. I'm glad they waited until the 6th round this time to take a WR. The odds of a 2nd round & a 6th round WR having any impact is about the same. So, looks like they are learning. Only thing I disagreed with is the choice. Ryan Swope is who I would have loved at that spot in the 6th round. He was a steal!! I really don't know why none of the GM's fell in love with Swope's game. They must not have watched him play. He's a sure thing to make the team and contribute and probably start. Instead we took YET ANOTHER raw athlete was very little experience and college production. I never even heard of the kid from Virginia Tech. We'll see.

I did like the RB choice. I think Reddick will give us a nice versatile RB foursome - Bush, Leshoure, Reddick & Bell. I like it!!

I also like the TE choice. At that point in the draft it's a total crapshoot. But I think the Lions know what they got in the Bama TE. He can't run. But we won't need him to. He's simply be a great 3rd TE option in goal line situations either as a receiver or a blocker. He's a tremendous blocker so when he's on the field it will be like having a 6th OL.

I think 8 of the 9 draft picks have a shot to make the team. Maybe even the ILB as a special team guy. That's pretty good I guess.

I just really hope Reiff surprises and shows that he is capable of being our franchise LT. And I hope Hilliard does the same at RT.

That way we can use our TOP THREE DRAFT PICKS NEXT YEAR ALL ON LB'S!!!!!!!!

My goodness our LB's are going to kill us this year. I like a lot of what we did this offseason. But there is no way we make the playoffs with the LB's we have. Not possible. But if we address LB next year I think our future could be bright. I said we couldn't fix everything at once. And that's true. Now we know for sure what was NOT addressed.

Overall - solid draft with the potential to be a great draft.

B+

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When the Lions skipped Milliner and took Ansah, it made it the third year in a row they had one of the top two CBs available and ignored addressing that weakness to take a DL or OL.

That's an interesting way to remember things, I guess. I wonder if that kind of selective memory factors into your evaluations of Mayhew and his drafts and our team needs?

You say we had one of the top two CBs available to us for the last two years prior to this year, but elected to pass on them.

Problem is that last year (2012) the top 3 CBs were already off the board when we picked. Claiborne, Gilmore and Kirkpatrick all went in the top 20, we picked at 23. The next CB was Janoris Jenkins, and he didn't go till round 2, so that would have been a big reach to take him.

In 2011 the #2 CB to go in the draft was Prince Amukamarka. Idk about you, but I'm sure happy we took Fairley instead....

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not trying to be harsh there, I just think you've gotten locked into a position and want to get a CB in the 1st at all costs.

Look at the 2011 draft I just put up as to why that can be a dangerous thing for a team to do- you lamented that we had the #2 CB in the draft available and didn't take him, but said player stinks thus far in his career.

There's more than one way to skin a cat, try not to focus so hard on one spot...

themuzzer

Hoopla Cash
$ 400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ryan Raburn Sucks!!!!!

Crap sorry guys wrong thread, but it needs to be said through out the sportsworld.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Day 3 of the draft was a mixed bag for me. I hated the fact that OLB was not addressed AT ALL this offseason. Not in free agency. Not in the draft. I wonder if Mayhew & Schwartz realize that Levy/Palmer is by far the worst starting OLB duo in the entire NFL. And there is zero depth behind them.
You must have missed our last pick, it was a LB out of Florida A&M. Athletic type, good coverage numbers.

Penciling Palmer in as the starter is premature, Travis Lewis and Tahir Whitehead will get their shot to compete with him in camp to win the job. And to say we have zero depth is just ignorant. Not trying to be a dick there, but when you make "attention" statements like that, well that's the response you're going to get.

The fact that we just drafted two LBs last year who give us solid young depth is what riles me up about your statement. It's either all of our picks make a huge instant impact, or they suck in you eyes...

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would have traded up to get Greene from Rutgers in the first round. He would have started from Day 1 at OLB for us.

Really? This is crazy even by your standards. We would have been laughed out the draft. And I like Greene, too. But in the 1st round when he ended up going in the 4th?

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They used that extra pick on a WR, which is fine. I'm glad they waited until the 6th round this time to take a WR. The odds of a 2nd round & a 6th round WR having any impact is about the same.
Right. 2nd rounders and 6th rounders always have a pretty even impact. Everyone knows that.

shoktart

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Really? This is crazy even by your standards. We would have been laughed out the draft. And I like Greene, too. But in the 1st round when he ended up going in the 4th?

Ha!!! I meant 4th round. Oops.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ryan Swope is who I would have loved at that spot in the 6th round. He was a steal!! I really don't know why none of the GM's fell in love with Swope's game. They must not have watched him play.

Do you really think this is how things work in the NFL? That GMs just didn't watch Swope's tape?

Do you ever have these thoughts and then say to yourself "well that really doesn't make any sense. Probably means it's not true then..." ?

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just really hope Reiff surprises and shows that he is capable of being our franchise LT. And I hope Hilliard does the same at RT.
I'd be betting on Fox to become the starter at RT over Hilliard... More athletic and better potential...

Kreton

Former 5x UFC Champion
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You must have missed our last pick, it was a LB out of Florida A&M. Athletic type, good coverage numbers.

Penciling Palmer in as the starter is premature, Travis Lewis and Tahir Whitehead will get their shot to compete with him in camp to win the job. And to say we have zero depth is just ignorant. Not trying to be a dick there, but when you make "attention" statements like that, well that's the response you're going to get.

The fact that we just drafted two LBs last year who give us solid young depth is what riles me up about your statement. It's either all of our picks make a huge instant impact, or they suck in you eyes...

Also as is the case with most things, shok is assuming that FA is over and is wrong. For him to be saying we didnt address the LB situation is false. We got better by subration with Durant. Also we can still sign a FA if the Lions staff dont think that Whitehead, Palmer or Lewis arent ready. This offseason isnt over and between NFL FA and UDFA we still have some off season to look forward to before our roster is finalized.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd love to see us sign Karlos Dansby to bridge the gap for a couple years...

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll tell you who gets my vote for most interesting: Theo Reddick.

There is something about this guy. He can do some good things when given the opportunity and he fits well as a guy that can come in and change the pace. I think he could end up being third on the depth chart if he works hard.

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess I have a bit more faith in him bc I watched him for 4 years. Sure, Theo isn't the fastest guy in the world, but he's hardly slow. He has great hands for a RB. He actually played WR in 2011 but due to lack of depth at RB last year, he returned to his natural position. The guy is definitely shifty and can make guys miss, I don't care that that one scouting report on him said he couldn't. I've seen it first hand. And he is not afraid of contact. I like that. Overall, he's not gonna be the starter, but he's a very good versatile player to have.

themuzzer

Hoopla Cash
$ 400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess I have a bit more faith in him bc I watched him for 4 years. Sure, Theo isn't the fastest guy in the world, but he's hardly slow. He has great hands for a RB. He actually played WR in 2011 but due to lack of depth at RB last year, he returned to his natural position. The guy is definitely shifty and can make guys miss, I don't care that that one scouting report on him said he couldn't. I've seen it first hand. And he is not afraid of contact. I like that. Overall, he's not gonna be the starter, but he's a very good versatile player to have.

Denard Robinson was never afraid of contact, the problem was players couldnt' contact him........He's still that fast.........Congrats to Mr. Denard in Jacksonville, I will follow him.

Lions first and foremost, I must now lend my ways to a domer.....Mr. Theo.....You sir are no Denard but I will root for you like you were....That's what Lions fans do.

black_magic

Mass Debater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mayhe said he expects to get the most instant production from the young DEs from this draft

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I assume the consequence would be he won't. Or willn't. One of the two. I don't really know though. Grammar isn't my strong suit. That would be diamonds. According to the Book of Hoyle..... And GnP.