• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Insight On Kap/Offense

tallglassofwater007

Large Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Start this clip at about the 4:10 mark and Dilfer gets into the Niners offense and Kaepernick. He makes a couple interesting points that a few of us on the boards have been making. That the coaches can't figure out the best way to use Kap. Also he makes a point about building the offense around a QB and not trying to make a QB conform to your offense. The Niners are a power team. Maybe Kaps strengths don't play to the strengths of the offense. If Kap is the guy, then maybe they do need to change the offense. Anyway, I thought it was interesting to here.

Trent Dilfer, NFL - ESPN

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I don't think it's a case of the coaches not being able to figure out the best way to use Kap but a case where they don't have the personnel to run the offense they want to run.

We lack the explosive playmakers to be explosive and right now the the roster is geared for the power run game.

That's why we went for AJ Jenkins and Randy Moss in the hopes we could add speed and explosiveness to the offense but since Moss is gone (and was too old to be that big time explosive threat) and Jenkins was a bust we're stuck with a roster that's slow but powerful.

I think Harbaugh and staff badly want to open the offense more but have to play the hand they are dealt and playing to the strengths of the offense to move the ball and win games.

If Crabtree and Manningham come back strong and Baldwin can become more and more of a factor I believe you'll see the offense become more explosive.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Start this clip at about the 4:10 mark and Dilfer gets into the Niners offense and Kaepernick. He makes a couple interesting points that a few of us on the boards have been making. That the coaches can't figure out the best way to use Kap. Also he makes a point about building the offense around a QB and not trying to make a QB conform to your offense. The Niners are a power team. Maybe Kaps strengths don't play to the strengths of the offense. If Kap is the guy, then maybe they do need to change the offense. Anyway, I thought it was interesting to here.

Trent Dilfer, NFL - ESPN

I might buy that if he wasn't such a dynamic player last year. His free fall into mediocrity since then has been astounding. I've never heard of anyone regressing this far so fast.

tallglassofwater007

Large Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think it's a case of the coaches not being able to figure out the best way to use Kap but a case where they don't have the personnel to run the offense they want to run.

We lack the explosive playmakers to be explosive and right now the the roster is geared for the power run game.

That's why we went for AJ Jenkins and Randy Moss in the hopes we could add speed and explosiveness to the offense but since Moss is gone (and was too old to be that big time explosive threat) and Jenkins was a bust we're stuck with a roster that's slow but powerful.

I think Harbaugh and staff badly want to open the offense more but have to play the hand they are dealt and playing to the strengths of the offense to move the ball and win games.

If Crabtree and Manningham come back strong and Baldwin can become more and more of a factor I believe you'll see the offense become more explosive.

Never really thought of it that way. Good point. Kap is a huge weapon though. They can stick to the power run game (which I like with this team) but have Kap run a little. Doesn't have to be read option either. Why not just a naked boot? A QB draw?

I might buy that if he wasn't such a dynamic player last year. His free fall into mediocrity since then has been astounding. I've never heard of anyone regressing this far so fast.

I think it has something to do with the injuries to Crabtree, Manningham, and a hobbled Davis. Also, they aren't turning him loose. How many times has he run the ball this season? Part of that is on him not tucking it and going, but there are no designed runs.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Not entirely sold on Dilfer's perspective. We ran a lot of pistol/shotgun early in the year and Kap wasn't effective doing it. It worked well against GB, but after that he largely fell apart when trying to be the focal point of the offense. I think there's a very strong argument that cost us the game against Indy. And there's no reason to force him to be THE GUY right now. Let him grow into himself while relying on the D and run game. There will be times when that doesn't work, but we've got a reprieve in terms of teams that can put up a lot of points. I'd rather be a bit conservative and try to grind out some wins. Come back after the bye and see what Kap can do when we have to keep up with the Saints.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I think it has something to do with the injuries to Crabtree, Manningham, and a hobbled Davis. Also, they aren't turning him loose. How many times has he run the ball this season? Part of that is on him not tucking it and going, but there are no designed runs.

How many designed QB runs did we do during the regular season last year?

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
wasnt a problem for our trip to the super bowl... we hit a bump trying to become a read option first team and now we're returning to roots...

it'll take time but I am sure that Kap has regressed in confidence thus affecting his play...

tallglassofwater007

Large Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

But last year he had more weapons. Because of injuries. Now Boldin is either huge or non existent. Davis is hurt. Williams is invisible (although I still think he can be effective in the slot) so why not use Kap? His legs are one of the biggest weapons on the team. They need to find a way to get him involved in that respect. They don't need to go crazy, but I think it can be a big plus for the team. Look how effective Wilson is when he runs.

Last edited by a moderator:

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
But last year he had more weapons. Because of injuries. Now Boldin is either huge or non existent. Davis is hurt. Williams is invisible (although I still think he can be effective in the slot) so why not use Kap? His legs are one of the biggest weapons on the team. They need to find a way to get him involved in that respect. They don't need to go crazy, but I think it can be a big plus for the team. Look how effective Wilson is when he runs.

The vast majority of Wilson's runs are scrambles, though, not called runs. I don't mind Kap scrambling sometimes. It's a good way to keep defenses honest. I don't think we need a lot of called runs, though.

As was said in the other thread, we have weapons. They certainly aren't incredible, but they are adequate. McDonald has played well when given looks. Gore can catch the ball out of the backfield. Miller has become a reliable outlet. And Williams has been getting open. There are plenty of mitigating circumstances, but Kap needs to improve his progressions, decisiveness, and throws. I'd like to focus our energies there rather than having him run substantially more.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I guess I just don't think the weapons are that much worse this year than they were toward the end of last year.

Abeka

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Bravo, couldn't have said it better...

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The vast majority of Wilson's runs are scrambles, though, not called runs. I don't mind Kap scrambling sometimes. It's a good way to keep defenses honest. I don't think we need a lot of called runs, though.

As was said in the other thread, we have weapons. They certainly aren't incredible, but they are adequate. McDonald has played well when given looks. Gore can catch the ball out of the backfield. Miller has become a reliable outlet. And Williams has been getting open. There are plenty of mitigating circumstances, but Kap needs to improve his progressions, decisiveness, and throws. I'd like to focus our energies there rather than having him run substantially more.

I'm asking because I'm not an offensive scheme or understand defense that well, but do defenses spread their coverage wide for a QB who can run and if so are we spreading our WRs outwide at the same time? If so, that could work against us. Obviously the pros know what they are doing, so I'm not suggesting that this happens and if so, unknowingly to the coaches. Just putting it out there.

If we had better receivers could we win the matchups against a spread-wide defense, but with who we have it's not working? Were we running the offense as if we had those better receivers but don't but now are altering the offense to a depleted WR group?

RoboticDreams

JM8CH10
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It's really not that surprising is it? They aren't even trying to run the pistol. Either they don't want to risk losing him or it has been figured out. I think it's a little bit of both. Kaep is not a conventional drop back QB and never will be. They need to get him out of the pocket a lot more, if they want him to resemble the player he was last year. Having few weapons doesn't help matters. They need to a deep threat besides Vernon Davis. Someone to open the entire field up. Hopefully Manningham can provide that and soon.

tallglassofwater007

Large Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That is part of what i was saying, that Kap doesn't scramble much. That part is on him, but a few designed runs would utilize a great asset. I don't think the weapons are that bad either, I just think that right now they are not full strength, and without Crabtree we are missing "The Guy" all due respect to Boldin.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's really not that surprising is it? They aren't even trying to run the pistol. Either they don't want to risk losing him or it has been figured out. I think it's a little bit of both. Kaep is not a conventional drop back QB and never will be. They need to get him out of the pocket a lot more, if they want him to resemble the player he was last year. Having few weapons doesn't help matters. They need to a deep threat besides Vernon Davis. Someone to open the entire field up. Hopefully Manningham can provide that and soon.

Man, I hate nevers, can't, always, etc.'s. Hated it when we had Smith and hate it now with Kaepernick (though the standards/expectations have been raised). Kaepernick will be more than fine and we will adjust our offense and he will improve his game and we'll meet somewhere in the middle. There's a reason conventional drop back QBing is common and there's a reason many offenses are not pure drop back offenses. We'll adjust, he'll improve.

While I don't like nevers/ceiling talk, with everyone there's a limit, some higher than others, and we won't know where that limit is for awhile. The coaches have some adjustments, too, where if they had done it in hindsight Kaepernick would look better at the conventional drop back game. Going back to running and defense but then taking the shots we didn't take before and connecting them due to his skills will make this offense work successfully.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i think when we get our WR back offense will be fine. he really has no one to throw to besides boldin and VD when healthy

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

There was the one against GB that he did to set up that 63 yard FG before the half. Then I think most, if not all, of his rushing TDs last year were designed runs. Certainly the ones where he came in when the 49ers were in the Redzone with Smith still starting were likely designed QB runs. I guess the ones he had after he was a starter are debatable.

spacedoodoopistol

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

It is really surprising how far away from the option they've gone. I understand not wanting to feature it, and maybe they think the defenses are primed to stop it.....maybe they are. Maybe they're just keeping it under wraps, Roman's been known to keep some gameplans up his sleeve until they really need them. But to not even mix it in seems weird considering how deadly it was last year.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
i think when we get our WR back offense will be fine. he really has no one to throw to besides boldin and VD when healthy

obviously, we ALL hope so.

but look at it this way, if our WR is wide open sprinting downfield, Kap stills need to hit him. if our WR is running a short or medium route, Kap still needs to throw it on time....and hit him. so having faster, quicker receivers by itself, isn't the 'end all' solution.