• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Insider: Recruits weigh in on Big Ten perception

HuskerinBig10

Dad, World Traveler, Investor, college football
Hoopla Cash
$ 436.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Two things help recruiting.

1. Winning
2. Rich Boosters

Academic rankings don't mean much. As Ohio State QB recruit, Cardale Jones, has stated, "we ain't come to play school, classes are pointless."

Oney

Hoopla Cash
$ 757.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Two things help recruiting.

1. Winning
2. Rich Boosters

Academic rankings don't mean much. As Ohio State QB recruit, Cardale Jones, has stated, "we ain't come to play school, classes are pointless."

We don't have a great history of eloquent qb quotes, but we're pretty good with the first two items you listed.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
“I think [the conferences] recruit differently,” Cornell said. “The Big Ten is more about academics and the SEC is more about the football. The SEC coaches say they’ll get you down there and they’ll get you to the NFL.”

“With Ohio State, the recruiting process isn’t different. They come at you just as hard as the SEC schools,” he said. “I would compare them to Missouri and Tennessee with the pitches they were throwing at me. They all said they were just a few games away from a championship, and in that way, they were similar.”

“The Big Ten needs to recruit harder. They need to really go after the recruits they really need,” Cornell said. “They have to hassle you a little bit, on you every single day. That makes recruits think the coaches really want me and I could go there because the coaches want me so bad. That’s what the SEC does.”

Pretty much SEC coaches lie and spam high school students, but it works.

Brasky

Till We Can't Be Beat. WON'T. BE. BEAT.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Report: Huskers spent most on recruiting in B1G : Latest Husker News

The league as a whole has ramped up their efforts.

AR-140429678.jpg&MaxW=650&MaxH=420

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Brasky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The fact of the matter is, the majority of the talent lives in the southeast.

The biggest stipulation players often have is that their parents be able to attend their games.

Parents often aren't fortunate enough to have the means to be flying all over the country to see their kid play each week. A lot of kids would love to come play for B1G teams, but it's just too far from home.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've got it, but the link won't load for me.

edit: ESPN as a whole won't load. hamster fell off the wheel I guess.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Urban Meyer has come away with the Big Ten’s top-ranked recruiting class every year since he was hired at Ohio State. His aggressive style and history of winning have helped put the Buckeyes in a category of their own when it comes to recruiting.

A big part of that, according to a few top-ranked recruits, is because Meyer brought an SEC mentality to the Big Ten. Being relentless, aggressive and surrounding himself with similar coaches has helped bring top talent to Columbus year after year.

It’s also not much of a surprise that James Franklin, who also has SEC ties from his time at Vanderbilt, has Penn State rolling on the recruiting trail. Recruits believe their styles are unmatched in the Big Ten.

“That’s why the recruiting class is so good at Penn State -- because James Franklin is from the SEC and knows how to recruit,” five-star prospect Jashon Cornell said. “He is used to recruiting that way, and now he’s doing it at Penn State. Then Urban Meyer has national championships and he’s an interactive coach, so you combine those and that’s why they’re at the top of the Big Ten now.”

Franklin, in his first full class with Penn State, now has six ESPN 300 prospects committed, the most for the Nittany Lions since 2010.

Prospects have noted that the tenacity and aggressive nature of Meyer and now Franklin is the reason there is so much excitement around their programs’ recruiting. The recruits feel as though there are more similarities in how Meyer and Franklin recruit to the SEC than the rest of the Big Ten.

“I think [the conferences] recruit differently,” Cornell said. “The Big Ten is more about academics and the SEC is more about the football. The SEC coaches say they’ll get you down there and they’ll get you to the NFL.”

Before committing to Missouri, ESPN 300 quarterback Drew Lock was recruited by a few Big Ten schools, including Ohio State. Meyer’s approach and reputation stood out.

“With Ohio State, the recruiting process isn’t different. They come at you just as hard as the SEC schools,” he said. “I would compare them to Missouri and Tennessee with the pitches they were throwing at me. They all said they were just a few games away from a championship, and in that way, they were similar.”

And success on the field breeds success on the recruiting trail.

In the 2014 class, the SEC landed 121 ESPN 300 prospects compared to just 35 in the Big Ten. The SEC had 347 total commitments spread across 14 schools while the Big Ten had 254 among 12 schools.

That means 34 percent of the commitments in the SEC were within the ESPN 300, compared to only 13 percent of the Big Ten commits.

Those numbers add another level of confidence when SEC coaches begin their recruiting pitches.

“The SEC has more of a cocky attitude, but not in a bad way. The coaches tell you the best players play in the SEC, and if you’re one of the best, then you’ll come down and play in the SEC,” ESPN 300 receiver Miles Boykin said. “That’s one of the differences in recruiting, but I don’t really see it the way they do. Every team has great players who can play in the NFL, so I’m not really concerned with conferences.”

Cornell does recognize certain advantages the SEC has over the Big Ten, including geographical, with the opportunity for Southern prospects to compete year-round. But he, too, has some advice for the Big Ten in how it can compete with its Southern counterparts.

“The Big Ten needs to recruit harder. They need to really go after the recruits they really need,” Cornell said. “They have to hassle you a little bit, on you every single day. That makes recruits think the coaches really want me and I could go there because the coaches want me so bad. That’s what the SEC does.”

there ya go

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Pretty much tells you all you need to know about recruits. Most recruits believe they will beat the odds and make it to the NFL, because they are young and dumb. Education is probably the 3rd or 4th factor in the choice.

Brasky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nebraska has a top 10 class right now.

Ohio State 46th.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nebraska has a top 10 class right now.

Ohio State 46th.

Pretty meaningless. Nebraska is 10th with average recruit at 87.8, they have 10. Ohio State is 55th. They only have 2 recruits at a 92.8 average. Way too early to put much stock in the rankings.

NDHoosier101

Reigning "Last to post" Champion
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,338.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't believe illinios spends that much money on football yet produces abysmal teams. :lol:

Also wisky has got to be cooking the books, they spend half of what the next lowest school spends...
-
I believe Tenn leads the nation. 2006-08 they were spending 1.15MM, I doubt it is lower

ChicagoIrish

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The fact of the matter is, the majority of the talent lives in the southeast.

The biggest stipulation players often have is that their parents be able to attend their games.

I don't know about that. California, Texas and Ohio produce massive amounts of football talent.

Brasky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Truth of that is based on where recruits live. Nebraska produces a pittance of top recruits. They have to travel all over to garner top recruits. Why OSU is in the bottom half of expenses in the Big 10, despite leading in recruiting.

Pretty meaningless. Nebraska is 10th with average recruit at 87.8, they have 10. Ohio State is 55th. They only have 2 recruits at a 92.8 average. Way too early to put much stock in the rankings.

Obviously a valid point.

Brasky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No bank on it Nebraska will close huge...double down.

It's not out of the realm of possibility, but we're probably only taking 20 or so this year.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3