• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Inside look at the draftees

Chief602

Resident Wookie
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was fortunate enough to see the prospects side of the draft. He wasn't a top tier prospect but was projected to go between the third and seventh round in the draft. He has the skill, was a top WR prospect by numbers alone at the combine where he was in the top five in every category. His only down side was he was from a D-2 school.

I have always enjoyed watching some of these cocky kids slip in the draft and have to sweat it out with the camera in their face(Quinn, Moss and this year Manzeil). I was viewing it as a selfish prick that loved the agony of a kid that had what I didn't, the heart and desire to be great. Never realizing what these kids, as well as their families, went through as they sat there.

Yesterday I was at a draft party and had the opportunity to share in the greatest moment of a terrific kids life. The Eagles had called and told him they would consider taking him in the third round then they drafted a WR in the second round Friday evening. Saturday as noon rolled around the nearly 150 people in attendance at our small town restaurant expected Jeff to be taken in the fourth or maybe fifth round. He was contacted by a few teams that said get ready we're coming up and we are interested in you. As each if these teams picks came and went with out choosing "our" kid the masses grew more anxious and irritated as some of these teams took WR's with much less raw talent than Jeffrey. In the sixth round when the home town Lions were on the clock we all held our collective breath. The selection is in, the Lions select…………WR TJ Whatever from ND. OK he is 4 inches shorter, 20+ lbs lighter and not as fast as our boy. Needless to say the vulgarity level was high and the disdain with the Lions was intense. His mother was in tears and he was visibly upset with the fact his mother was hurting so badly. As the seventh round wore on he began to receive many calls from teams expressing interest in signing him as an UDFA. He was talking with the Chiefs about a deal after the draft when he got the call, he was going to be a, it hurts to say it, Cheese head!!!! That meant nothing to a room full of Lions fans, our kid was headed to the NFL!!!!! Screams and tears were a plenty. It was an amazing day from hope to nervousness to anger to pure elation. In the end I have come to the realization I must make a green n yellow purchase. I will root for the Pack 14 weeks a year and the other two…………… let's just hope the Packers lose and Jeffrey Janis has 200 yds receiving and a couple TD's in the lose.

All in all I gained a new appreciation for what all these kids go through and wouldn't wish the stress on my worst enemies!!!!

Go Lions and 14 weeks a year, #gopackgo

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Excellent read and congrats to your hometown boy and his family on getting to realize his dream of playing in the NFL.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I never knew you could write so well. Good write up brother. Ironic how in one weekend you expierenced it all. Texting and laughing at Johnny Thursday, only to realize the other shoe two days later.

The video Ross posted was awesome. Lisa called me a sappy ass for crying. Very proud of Jeff and elated for Deb. Glad you got to share in the moment (jealous as hell)!! Lisa already is asking when she can order his jersey.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I never knew you could write so well. Good write up brother. Ironic how in one weekend you expierenced it all. Texting and laughing at Johnny Thursday, only to realize the other shoe two days later.

The video Ross posted was awesome. Lisa called me a sappy ass for crying. Very proud of Jeff and elated for Deb. Glad you got to share in the moment (jealous as hell)!! Lisa already is asking when she can order his jersey.

That's what you fucking lead with! Love it.

You two are the fucking best I swear... :laugh3:

LPinSLC

Gang Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Glad he found a spot. UDFA or not. Packers or not. Congratulations to you and the nearly 150 others supporting the young fella.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tell him the rest of us (well, me and the two dudes at my draft "party" (us puffing the cheeba and playing lawn darts and watching both ESPN and NFLN on two different TVs in the same fucking room (yeah, that's how we role in da U.P., eh?)) were pretty pissed about it, too. I liked Jones, but if WR was going to be the pick Janis was third on my "top ten" list (go look it up, it's on that other thread) from the 6th round on...

Like you said, bigger, faster, stronger. Home town kid. Dominated inferior competition like you'd expect an NFL-caliber player to. Does this mean the Packers are keeping 6 WRs this season? They return Nelson, Cobb, and Boykins, and they drafted what's-his-face good looking WR from Fresno (Adams?), and (I'm going to slay this name, my apologies in advance) Abbrederis from Wisky. That's 5 WRs that they can't/won't cut. So they'll be forced to roll with 6 if they don't want to expose him to waivers.

I was really hoping we'd draft him for the home-town angle as well. We've got Joique Bell and Chris Greenwood who are both local kids on the team, so adding Janis would have built on that vibe. Woodley also would have made sense given the new coaching staff's scheme, but we blew him off for whatever reason...

Nothing against Janis, but he may be the odd man out due to sheer numbers ahead of him. I know it would suck for him personally to get cut, but it would be great for him to make his way back to Detroit one way or another. I'd swap him out with Durham no questions asked. Someone get Ted Thompson on the phone- see if he's interested in adding the tallest WR in the NFL to his roster...

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's what you fucking lead with! Love it.

You two are the fucking best I swear... :laugh3:

I actually deleted it some. Started... Damn big dummy I never knew...

We have been mistaken for brothers. For good reason.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It just cracked me up because he gave this great first-hand account of how draft day unfolds for the guys who don't go in the first 50 or so picks, and you're all "I didn't know you knew how to read" from the Waterboy...

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nothing against Janis, but he may be the odd man out due to sheer numbers ahead of him. I know it would suck for him personally to get cut, but it would be great for him to make his way back to Detroit one way or another. I'd swap him out with Durham no questions asked. Someone get Ted Thompson on the phone- see if he's interested in adding the tallest WR in the NFL to his roster...

Actually the sheer numbers are not there. Nelson, Cobb, and Boykins are solid. You know Davante Adams is also. I see him and Abrederris battling for last spot or maybe they carry 6 as they have in the past.

Don't forget Thompson is not afraid to let guys walk and not pay big. To me this means most likely Cobb or Nelson will be able to walk to big payday elsewhere. Actual jealous they know how to do it.

Pure homerism on my part. I actually don't see him as like 7th or 8th there.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually the sheer numbers are not there. Nelson, Cobb, and Boykins are solid. You know Davante Adams is also. I see him and Abrederris battling for last spot or maybe they carry 6 as they have in the past.

Don't forget Thompson is not afraid to let guys walk and not pay big. To me this means most likely Cobb or Nelson will be able to walk to big payday elsewhere. Actual jealous they know how to do it.

Pure homerism on my part. I actually don't see him as like 7th or 8th there.

I don't either. He's no worse than 6th, imo, depending on how well he and Abbrederis do in camp...

Chief602

Resident Wookie
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The kicker is they had pre-draft workouts together and then roomed together at the Senior Bowl!!! And Kev, FO!!!!!!!! lol

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, that's pretty cool that they'll be on the same team now.

Also, GB now has a 6-deep WR corps that's 50% white! How's that for being progressive? Some teams might have a white WR (we got Kris Durham, for now, anyways), but three? And the crazy part is they're not even slow! lol

Also, also, the beauty of this site is you can actually tell him to fuck off! We don't have to abbreviate shit CBS-style anymore...

Chief602

Resident Wookie
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know, he's sensitive though, don't want him looking like Michael Sam's buddy on ESPN. Seeing him kiss big black men is rather disturbing!!!!

:L

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seeing that big bastard kissing black men is disturbing? Yes. Is it uncommon, though? Sadly, no. Lol :whistle:

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is this the year you two finally make the home-opener weekend extravaganza?

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't either. He's no worse than 6th, imo, depending on how well he and Abbrederis do in camp...

They were room mates at senior bowl. I wonder if they room together now, knowing they are competing against one another?

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The kicker is they had pre-draft workouts together and then roomed together at the Senior Bowl!!! And Kev, FO!!!!!!!! lol

I should read through the thread. Just posted about room mates.

That's it a FO?? Getting mild on me.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is this the year you two finally make the home-opener weekend extravaganza?

Life might have kicked my ass. FMLA no pay for a month killed savings and vacay days. Now it all depends on dates. No vacay left. Wife is bumming now it was a MNF game.

Naughtymax

Internet MMA God
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Life might have kicked my ass. FMLA no pay for a month killed savings and vacay days. Now it all depends on dates. No vacay left. Wife is bumming now it was a MNF game.

I think we're looking a the first Sunday home game this year - as much as I'd love a Monday night game it'd be tough on too many people to take time off work.