• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Injured QBs

Peter Gozintite

NO!...but yes.
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 103,499.99
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't know how long you've been a fan. But the 1985 Bear's line was pretty damn good.

Dont know if you know the difference between an oline designed for a HOF RB, and an oline designed for a deep range passing game, but its a big difference. I dont remember Jimmy head band throwing the ball more than we ran the ball.

C

cubzzzfanincali

O line is the best since i've been a fan. There are few, to no issues on offense, with regards to the draft.
Look at a possible project qb with the 5th or close pick. Maybe....
Address more developmental players on defense right now, and a definite contributor right off the bat. Then let the draft come to us. Take the best defenders at our spots.
Then grab a qb late, 5thish, and i bet Trestman knows about guys that are going to go late, not even go undrafted. In Trestman i trust right now.

we've had other good lines. Remember last year's line looked a little better than they played because the passing attack was pretty quick. The line that took us to the Super Bowl a few years ago was pretty good...imagine that offense with better receivers and practically any QB other than Rex.

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,227.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dont know if you know the difference between an oline designed for a HOF RB, and an oline designed for a deep range passing game, but its a big difference. I dont remember Jimmy head band throwing the ball more than we ran the ball.

Back in the 80`s(NOT that it was really that long ago) all teams still ran the ball more than they threw the ball compared to this day and age.

1985 NFL Standings, Team & Offensive Statistics - Pro-Football-Reference.com

2013 NFL Standings, Team & Offensive Statistics - Pro-Football-Reference.com

leomaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I believe Dave Wanstadts teams had a few good o-lines

63bears40

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

C'mon Pete. You're insulting my intelligence.
We didn't have to throw the ball w/ Walter back there, more than needed.
And when we did throw it, Gault & McKinnen ( spelling ? ). usually had enough time to get open.
I know 2 of that line made pro multiple pro-bowl appearances. I think a 3rd also made 1.
My mind is going. But think Jimbo Covert got or is getting hall of fame consideration.
Really don't care what they were designed for. Just know they got us to SUPER-BOWL. Along w/ the D.:suds:

63bears40

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just to add . Covert, Bortz, & Hilgenburg . All made the PB as Bears. That was a pretty special O-Line.

blh7068

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the argument of Cutler being injury prone and Rodgers isn't comes from Cutler has missed 13 games spread out over his entire time in Chicago while 8 of those 9 for Rodgers came last year. Basically Cutler is good to miss at least 2 or 3 games each year where as Rodgers until last year has played virtually every game every season.

So, its merely perception. The injuries that have cost him 11 of the 13 games dont predispose him to future injuries. Unless you believe that a broken thumb and a high ankle sprain do. He is at no more risk for injury than any other well conditioned NFL qb.

North of Patagonia / South of Iguazu Falls
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the argument of Cutler being injury prone and Rodgers isn't comes from Cutler has missed 13 games spread out over his entire time in Chicago while 8 of those 9 for Rodgers came last year. Basically Cutler is good to miss at least 2 or 3 games each year where as Rodgers until last year has played virtually every game every season.

Rodgers also broke his foot in 2006 week 10 vs New England after Favre left game with injury... he missed the rest of the season. So he has missed more than 9 games in his career. Not many remember because he was not the starter yet and Favre returned in week 11 back in 2006.

Peter Gozintite

NO!...but yes.
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 103,499.99
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
C'mon Pete. You're insulting my intelligence.
We didn't have to throw the ball w/ Walter back there, more than needed.
And when we did throw it, Gault & McKinnen ( spelling ? ). usually had enough time to get open.
I know 2 of that line made pro multiple pro-bowl appearances. I think a 3rd also made 1.
My mind is going. But think Jimbo Covert got or is getting hall of fame consideration.
Really don't care what they were designed for. Just know they got us to SUPER-BOWL. Along w/ the D.:suds:

Well you started with the condescending attitude. The defense and Walter Payton were responsible for that SB, and he could run behind nobodies, which he did for years.

My point was basically what woods said, you cant really compare the two eras based on Oline, the Oline we have now, i dont cringe every time they line up. My heart doesn't hurt from constant false starts, holding penalties, and having a guy in our QBs face before he can drop into a 3 step drop. Seriously dude, for the last 8 to 10 years i have been petrified watching the offense. Until last year. They not only addressed the
Oline first and foremost, they continue to tweek it.

No GM/HC combo can fix everything in one year.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
really? I have to ask- how old are you? The times are changing so if you have played pee-wee through high school in say the past 5 years- you probably didn't hear that much. But in the 80's and 90's when I played I heard it all the time. (I'm 36 and played since I was 9-25 years old- Thats' a story for another time...)

"I just got my bell rung" IS a symptom of concussion.
But our own loveable King Of Meatballs Brain Urlacher is notorious for claiming he wouldn't come off the field if he felt concussion symptoms and wouldn't tell a trainer how bad it really was. Because??? HE'S TOUGH! And thinks that anyone who did is a "coward" too. I think that calls for a poll!

I played HS football in the early-mid 2000's. I suffered two concussions in the span of a year, and basically, no one gave a shit. In all, I missed about a combined two practices. The concussions occurred on Tuesday practice. I played on Friday. Both times I was told by our team doctor that I wasn't concussed. Despite the fact that was vomiting, dizzy, and literally would start having tears stream down my face for no reason. "Just got your bell rung". He'd say.

I had to go my family physician to get diagnosed with a concussion. Even he told me just to take a few days off, and I'd be fine.

The concussion awareness is really just something that's hit hard over the past four or five years. So, really. If you were playing 10 years ago. You might as well have been playing in the 80's. However, no one would say "tough it out". Sure, coaches would look at you a little disgruntled when you said you weren't practicing because of a concussion, but that's different.

With the concussions, I get the feeling a lot of it is over exaggerated, and old guys are just looking to beat their chests about how tough they are/were. Men have delusions of grandeur about their youth as they age.

63bears40

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well you started with the condescending attitude. The defense and Walter Payton were responsible for that SB, and he could run behind nobodies, which he did for years.

My point was basically what woods said, you cant really compare the two eras based on Oline, the Oline we have now, i dont cringe every time they line up. My heart doesn't hurt from constant false starts, holding penalties, and having a guy in our QBs face before he can drop into a 3 step drop. Seriously dude, for the last 8 to 10 years i have been petrified watching the offense. Until last year. They not only addressed the
Oline first and foremost, they continue to tweek it.

No GM/HC combo can fix everything in one year.

:lol: Didn't know I had any kind of attitude.
2nd bold.:agree:
I love our current O-line as much as you. Especially when De La Puenta ( we got to get him a frickin nick name) takes over @ center.
Yeah , I know the D got us to that SB. But that team had 1 hell of an O-line as well.:suds:

Peter Gozintite

NO!...but yes.
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 103,499.99
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah , I know the D got us to that SB. But that team had 1 hell of an O-line as well.:suds:

They were a mean ass run the ball Oline. I cant say they wouldnt be able to perform in "this" NFL, but they werent brought up in this type of game either. Just apples and oranges.

nebearsfan70

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just to add . Covert, Bortz, & Hilgenburg . All made the PB as Bears. That was a pretty special O-Line.

It was a bad-ass line in '85. But I share Pete's sentiment... This is the first time in a few years the Bears can actually say one of the strengths of their team is OLine. Well, the entire offense for that matter. I have been a Bears fan for a long time and I never uttered those words until just now. Feels kinda weird.

63bears40

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They were a mean ass run the ball Oline. I cant say they wouldnt be able to perform in "this" NFL, but they werent brought up in this type of game either. Just apples and oranges.

Was just responding to your quote, "O line is the best since i've been a fan". Which brought up the Q, how long have you been a fan. My bad. Drinking brings out the worst in me. And I usually don't realize it, till it's too late. Just think we've had good O-lines before. 2004 , '85 , '63 weren't to shabby. Was just saying, we've had good lines before. It's been a while though.:suds:

63bears40

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was a bad-ass line in '85. But I share Pete's sentiment... This is the first time in a few years the Bears can actually say one of the strengths of their team is OLine. Well, the entire offense for that matter. I have been a Bears fan for a long time and I never uttered those words until just now. Feels kinda weird.

I was half blitzed when responding to Pete. I love this O-line also.
Just think I was trying to say we've had good O-lines in the past. Just not recently .
It is a breath of fresh air , not having to wonder what it will look like this coming season.

:lol: As far as the O goes . I watched the Dallas game 4 times this week. Probably my favorite game of the year( W/ the Pack win a close 2nd) . The only thing that stopped the Bears in that game was the clock.
Just think they'll be better in yr 2 of the same system.:suds:

Peter Gozintite

NO!...but yes.
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 103,499.99
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Thats all i was trying to say. The shear fear, of our offense coming to the line, was unbearable. I would constantly play in my head the the following scenarios;
Dont false start
just get the ball to the qb on the snap
dont fumble
give him time to get the ball up to his shoulders before sacking
dont throw a desperation pick due to pressure
not another sack please
FUUUUUUCK!
why am i terrified when we have the ball
please just score this time defense

i mean really, this has been a reality. Please feel free to give you moments of you ass eating the couch cushion pre-snap for the last 10 years.

Peter Gozintite

NO!...but yes.
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 103,499.99
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Was just responding to your quote, "O line is the best since i've been a fan". Which brought up the Q, how long have you been a fan. My bad. Drinking brings out the worst in me. And I usually don't realize it, till it's too late. Just think we've had good O-lines before. 2004 , '85 , '63 weren't to shabby. Was just saying, we've had good lines before. It's been a while though.:suds:

I hear you, and knew you could take some shit from me. :suds:

Peter Gozintite

NO!...but yes.
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 103,499.99
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i am going to make one more drink. If i dont make it back, dont call 911