• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Injured QBs

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,227.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well you started with the condescending attitude. The defense and Walter Payton were responsible for that SB, and he could run behind nobodies, which he did for years.

My point was basically what woods said, you cant really compare the two eras based on Oline, the Oline we have now, i dont cringe every time they line up. My heart doesn't hurt from constant false starts, holding penalties, and having a guy in our QBs face before he can drop into a 3 step drop. Seriously dude, for the last 8 to 10 years i have been petrified watching the offense. Until last year. They not only addressed the
Oline first and foremost, they continue to tweek it.

No GM/HC combo can fix everything in one year.

I like this statement,buuuuuuut you have to add in the other parts as well:
Jim McMahon`s leadership.He was cocky and brash,I gotta admit,but he was a damn good leader when he was on the field.Remember the thursday night game vs. the Vikings when he came off the bench and threw two tds on two passes?(with an oustanding block from #34).:nod:
The game was looking ugly before he stepped in.
He`d defy Ditka`s orders all the time.didn`t care.He was a main cog to that offense too.
Gault,you needed 6 pts,heave it up.he was a former Olympic runner that was very close to be untouchable......
McKinnon...a great compliment to Gault.
Same as moorehead......
Suhey,was Payton`s compliment.

And if you think about it,the same team the following season in 86 went 14-2 with the better performance from the defense and bowed out in the first round vs.Washington.

why?.............No Mcmahon.We had Flutie in there cause JM was hurt......And i still say if #9 was in there,it very well could have been a different story.

As I said,I agree with your statement above,but I also gotta give kudos to the other role players.It was definetley a whole team that helped win the SB.

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,227.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was half blitzed when responding to Pete. I love this O-line also.
Just think I was trying to say we've had good O-lines in the past. Just not recently .
It is a breath of fresh air , not having to wonder what it will look like this coming season.

:lol: As far as the O goes . I watched the Dallas game 4 times this week. Probably my favorite game of the year( W/ the Pack win a close 2nd) . The only thing that stopped the Bears in that game was the clock.
Just think they'll be better in yr 2 of the same system.:suds:

:agree:

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,227.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thats all i was trying to say. The shear fear, of our offense coming to the line, was unbearable. I would constantly play in my head the the following scenarios;
Dont false start
just get the ball to the qb on the snap
dont fumble
give him time to get the ball up to his shoulders before sacking
dont throw a desperation pick due to pressure
not another sack please
FUUUUUUCK!
why am i terrified when we have the ball
please just score this time defense

i mean really, this has been a reality. Please feel free to give you moments of you ass eating the couch cushion pre-snap for the last 10 years.

Don`t forget the 'I hope JC gets up off the turf"

This is one of mine to go along with the rest of yours..........

blh7068

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just to add . Covert, Bortz, & Hilgenburg . All made the PB as Bears. That was a pretty special O-Line.

The o line grew to be a strength as Walter got older- and that worked out really well IMO for the longevity of his career. His early days? Well, he pretty much was the offense.

C

cubzzzfanincali

I definitely don't think this is the best O line since 1985. I think they are decent, and a huge step up from the 2010-2012 lines, but I think people's enthusiasm is far more fed by improvement from "completely awful" than that the line itself is all that great. Most of the lines of the first half of the Lovie years were better lines, and I would take most of the Wannstedt era lines over this one as well.

nebearsfan70

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thats all i was trying to say. The shear fear, of our offense coming to the line, was unbearable. I would constantly play in my head the the following scenarios;
Dont false start
just get the ball to the qb on the snap
dont fumble
give him time to get the ball up to his shoulders before sacking
dont throw a desperation pick due to pressure
not another sack please
FUUUUUUCK!
why am i terrified when we have the ball
please just score this time defense

i mean really, this has been a reality. Please feel free to give you moments of you ass eating the couch cushion pre-snap for the last 10 years.

:lol:

No shit! I thought I was the only one with those fears! I totally agree with you Pete!

:yahoo:

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I definitely don't think this is the best O line since 1985. I think they are decent, and a huge step up from the 2010-2012 lines, but I think people's enthusiasm is far more fed by improvement from "completely awful" than that the line itself is all that great. Most of the lines of the first half of the Lovie years were better lines, and I would take most of the Wannstedt era lines over this one as well.

I don't get why people forget that the 2006 line was widely considered to be the best in football. I believe they were in the conversation in 05 too.

That offense was actually very talented… just didn't have a competent QB to win a SB. Berrian and Muhammad were very good NFL WR's, Thomas Jones and Cedric Benson had very productive years running the ball, and the line was top notch.

Peter Gozintite

NO!...but yes.
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 103,499.99
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't get why people forget that the 2006 line was widely considered to be the best in football. I believe they were in the conversation in 05 too.

That offense was actually very talented… just didn't have a competent QB to win a SB. Berrian and Muhammad were very good NFL WR's, Thomas Jones and Cedric Benson had very productive years running the ball, and the line was top notch.

Every single player you named, we have better ones in every spot now. Benson never did shit as a Bear, he saved it all for the Bengals. Thomas Jones was solid, but could never break anything cause he was slow and would always get caught from behind. Both WR were not the the same caliber either. The Oline was also riddled with the penalties at times too. From my perspective, and in my opinion, i think our offense now is leaps and bounds better than that those teams. If we would have had a middle of pack defense last year, we would have a completely different season.

63bears40

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i was fucked up as a soup sandwich last night. detoxing tonight.

Thanks Pete. LMAO for a good 10 minutes. I needed it .
I never detox . It just makes it harder to get drunk. :suds:

C

cubzzzfanincali

Thomas Jones was solid, but could never break anything cause he was slow and would always get caught from behind.

You mean other than the run he broke off for a TD in the Super Bowl, right?

I think that O line was better than this one. You can definitely make the argument that the receivers and QB are better now (especially QB), and Forte is somewhat better than the Jones/Benson tandem, but not by a huge margin. That line plus these skill position guys would have been a fearsome offense.

Peter Gozintite

NO!...but yes.
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 103,499.99
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You mean other than the run he broke off for a TD in the Super Bowl, right?

Yeah the longest run of the entire season, other than that ONE. He was first down machine. You can always find the exception to a rule, it doesnt mean i was wrong.

C

cubzzzfanincali

yeah, dude, I was slightly just digging at you. He wasn't much of a gamebreaker, except when it counted the most, which does count for something. On that note, Forte always seems to have worse games when we need him the most, although that may just be my own unscientific drunken subjectivity.

Thomas Jones was a decent back for us. I don't think the separation between him and Forte is the biggest of differences in that team and now.

63bears40

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just to add, I liked TJ also. Just wish he was healthy for the SB.
He was a good RB who didn't get what he deserved here.:noidea::laugh3::lol::L:gaah::suds:
Just 1 of those nights,:lol:

Peter Gozintite

NO!...but yes.
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 103,499.99
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
he was a solid 1200 to 1400 yard back. dude was right as rain. Dont quote me, but Forte has a bunch more tds on average per year i believe, which means i dont know for sure. Forte is so different of a runner. TJ was a between the tackles guy, and didnt do well trying to get to the outside. Forte, can go either way, but usually best when he can get to corner. TJ didnt make guys miss like forte has at times. Forte is better, by how much can be debated, but its all subjective.

C

cubzzzfanincali

Forte, 6 seasons, 35 TD rushing, 12 TD receiving
Jones, 3 seasons with Bears, 22 TD rushing, 0 TD receiving

So Jones had higher rush TD per season, much less receving TD per season. Obviously they were/are used in different ways at the goal line.