• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Improvement

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Question:

Is Bill playing 'not to lose'?

Mike Lombardi was giving his weekly synopsis of the Patriots' Sunday performance and said, That what he saw was the Cowboys constantly offering the Patriots a chance to take the game away from them, and the Patriots refusing the offer. Then he said that he thinks that Bill's mantra has changed over the past two seasons from 'Win at all costs" to "Let's just not lose.'

Then he brought up a very interesting stat.

The worst loss so far has been to Houston. The others could have been wins : Miami (-2) Tampa Bay (-1) Dallas (-6 OT)

In the past it was 'Just get the ball to the offense' and now 'Let's hope the defense can hold."

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's a conclusion based on what? The passing game is a team game that relies on a QB putting the ball in a place, the receivers getting to that place, line holding long enough for both to happen and, most importantly, each of those being emphasized in the game plan (practiced, practiced, practiced).

If any of this is missing then any QB "is not a great long ball thrower".
His skill set has never been the long ball. Sure he did well at Alabama but look at that squad. He doesn't have the strongest arm. Stick with what he's good at...being accurate short to mid range. Obviously you need to keep the D honest by challenging them every once in a while.

Also I don't think NE receivers are coached up well on coming back for the ball, fighting for the ball or initiating DPI. They never have like many other teams.

Let Mac do Mac things he's no Flacco or any of the young guns with cannon arms.

nefansince75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
His skill set has never been the long ball. Sure he did well at Alabama but look at that squad. He doesn't have the strongest arm. Stick with what he's good at...being accurate short to mid range. Obviously you need to keep the D honest by challenging them every once in a while.

Also I don't think NE receivers are coached up well on coming back for the ball, fighting for the ball or initiating DPI. They never have like many other teams.

Let Mac do Mac things he's no Flacco or any of the young guns with cannon arms.
His skill set is whatever he shows moving forward. There are too many variables to conclude his skill set based on what he's shown in the past. He has plenty of arm strength to be a pro QB and throw deep-enough balls. His stellar accuracy is relative to others so he should be just as (actually, more) accurate as most others at distances he can comfortably throw.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
His skill set is whatever he shows moving forward. There are too many variables to conclude his skill set based on what he's shown in the past. He has plenty of arm strength to be a pro QB and throw deep-enough balls. His stellar accuracy is relative to others so he should be just as (actually, more) accurate as most others at distances he can comfortably throw.
OK, we'll leave this at distances he can comfortably throw.

Sorry but arm strength is not one of his attributes. He occassionaly leaves a receiver out to dry because he doesn't put enough zip on his throws.

Yes of course he has an NFL arm it's just never going to be compared to a howitzer or any big armed passers in this league.

nefansince75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OK, we'll leave this at distances he can comfortably throw.

Sorry but arm strength is not one of his attributes. He occassionaly leaves a receiver out to dry because he doesn't put enough zip on his throws.

Yes of course he has an NFL arm it's just never going to be compared to a howitzer or any big armed passers in this league.
Did Breeze have a howitzer, or Brady or Manning for that matter. Also, does he not "zip them in" because he can't or chooses not to? He's be credited as a guy who chooses the right touch when others break their receivers hands on short throws. Maybe a little experience will change the zip he "chooses"...

I'm not stating you are wrong, just that there may be other reasons for what you are seeing.

sharkymcwrath

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did Breeze have a howitzer, or Brady or Manning for that matter. Also, does he not "zip them in" because he can't or chooses not to? He's be credited as a guy who chooses the right touch when others break their receivers hands on short throws. Maybe a little experience will change the zip he "chooses"...

I'm not stating you are wrong, just that there may be other reasons for what you are seeing.

You guys are talking offense when it's really the defense losing these games at this point IMO. I mean, hell, we nearly lost to the fucking Texans and they moved up and down the field against us.

Sure the offense could've made a few more plays but they are clearly getting better where the defense does not appear to be improving.

That's my opinion anyway.

nefansince75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You guys are talking offense when it's really the defense losing these games at this point IMO. I mean, hell, we nearly lost to the fucking Texans and they moved up and down the field against us.

Sure the offense could've made a few more plays but they are clearly getting better where the defense does not appear to be improving.

That's my opinion anyway.
I completely agree. My conversations about the offense are really just responding to previous comments because I'm socially inclined :)

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

No one is saying you need a cannon to play in the NFL.

What I'll tell you is go look at his scouting reports. I'd imagine most if not all will say the same thing about his arm strength is one of his weaknesses. If they don't mention it, they certainly won't say it's a strength. The reports will pretty much say what I've already said.
Doesn't mean he can't be a productive to great QB. So you don't have to say I'm wrong. Just know that most of the experts are saying the same thing I am.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No one is saying you need a cannon to play in the NFL.

What I'll tell you is go look at his scouting reports. I'd imagine most if not all will say the same thing about his arm strength is one of his weaknesses. If they don't mention it, they certainly won't say it's a strength. The reports will pretty much say what I've already said.
Doesn't mean he can't be a productive to great QB. So you don't have to say I'm wrong. Just know that most of the experts are saying the same thing I am.
What no one has denied is that Mac Jones may be the most accurate arm ever to come out of college.

How far does one have to throw to be considered having a powerful arm? What the hell does it matter if you can throw a ball 90 yards but can't get it to a receiver.

The TD to Bourne against the Cowboys was more than 45 yards in the air. Not need to throw any further unless it's a Hail Mary.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not going to argue semantics, or whether or not he's made one, two or 500 throws over 20 yards. That doesn't equate to arm strength. Where arm strength does come into play is on a deep ball. Where when you put so much air under it, the defender has a chance to make up ground. Stay with coaching because a scout you are not.

Why are people so sensitive? It's like calling a QB a game manager. Who cares as long as he's winning. Dink and dunk all day, just bring home a lombardi.

nefansince75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not going to argue semantics, or whether or not he's made one, two or 500 throws over 20 yards. That doesn't equate to arm strength. Where arm strength does come into play is on a deep ball. Where when you put so much air under it, the defender has a chance to make up ground. Stay with coaching because a scout you are not.

Why are people so sensitive? It's like calling a QB a game manager. Who cares as long as he's winning. Dink and dunk all day, just bring home a lombardi.

I'm not being sensitive. Nor am I saying you are flat out wrong. I'm saying the reports may not be 100% accurate based on a lot of factors including he may have spent the off season strengthening his arm.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have a feeling that Mac Jones will be spending a lot of the off season in the training facility working on hardening up his body and building up his arm. He already looks a bit leaner than he did after the draft. He has to be sore after taking the hits he did against the Cowboys and he'll have to get rid of any useless soft tissue and build some concrete under the skin. All of the top QBs have made that transition and it has paid off in reducing pocket related injuries. Can't keep the runners from getting pummeled.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not being sensitive. Nor am I saying you are flat out wrong. I'm saying the reports may not be 100% accurate based on a lot of factors including he may have spent the off season strengthening his arm.
Fair enough. The sensitive comment wasn't directed at you.

I'm not going by the media reports. I'm going by the eye test, what I've seen with him over the years and what almost every scout said.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have a feeling that Mac Jones will be spending a lot of the off season in the training facility working on hardening up his body and building up his arm. He already looks a bit leaner than he did after the draft. He has to be sore after taking the hits he did against the Cowboys and he'll have to get rid of any useless soft tissue and build some concrete under the skin. All of the top QBs have made that transition and it has paid off in reducing pocket related injuries. Can't keep the runners from getting pummeled.
I agree he'll likely get into better shape. However, muscle strength doesn't necessarily equate to football arm strength.

It's all about mechanics and natural abilities. Take golf for example. You can have a 270# muscle head who couldn't drive the ball 200 yards. While a wirey 150# Joe with good mechanics could drive it 270+.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You are expecting agreement. That usually turns into a long ass argument.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A little comparison for the sake of argument

"The most important of those pieces is Jones, who, while still developing and not immune to first-year mistakes, has been the best of this year’s rookie quarterback crop by a significant margin."

“We are showing a lot of flashes, and I’m just very appreciative of that, because it shows we’ve got potential,” Bourne said. “And if you’ve got potential, the ceiling’s high. … The future’s really bright, as we all can see.”

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are expecting agreement. That usually turns into a long ass argument.
Well in many cases there is black and white.

Oh except for when full-blown homerism takes over.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"The most important of those pieces is Jones, who, while still developing and not immune to first-year mistakes, has been the best of this year’s rookie quarterback crop by a significant margin."

“We are showing a lot of flashes, and I’m just very appreciative of that, because it shows we’ve got potential,” Bourne said. “And if you’ve got potential, the ceiling’s high. … The future’s really bright, as we all can see.”
Bourne also took blame for the Diggs interception. Said he chose to run a one yard slant vs. the three yard slant he was supposed to. I like Bourne a lot. Now if NE only had a true #1

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So here we are. Ready to face Cleveland?
Buffalo lost to Jacksonville.
Baltimore lost to Miami.
KC sucks.
The AFC is ripe for the picking!
Belichick has this team improving. Can we carry this forward?