• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

I'm looking to buy my first handgun but...

Agent Orange

Harbaugh's shrink
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
....I'm not sure where to begin. I don't live in a bad location or anything I just feel like it's what any responsible young adult would do. Not even mentioning I have a criminal justice background, although I'm going to be a lawyer, but I digress. Given the general political sway of the site, I figured that there will be enough folks who have some good insight on what type gun would be best for a novice.

I guess I should mention that I'm not a total rookie, I do go to the shooting range from time to time and I do plan to make it a more regular occurrence. Anyway any help would be much appreciated. :suds:

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does your local range have guns to rent? Mine has a ton and for like $20 plus range fee I can go and use as many guns as I want.

I would start there. Go and ask to even just hold a few. Find out what feels comfortable in your hands. Then test some out. The best gun for you is the one you shoot the best.

There are some other things to think about first too:

Semi-Auto or revolver?
9mm? .45ACP? .40S&W? / .38? .357? Both?

Caynine29

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's quite a few things to consider when purchasing your first firearm. First and foremost... What kind of price range are you looking at? Beyond that... what are you using it for (based on your post, I'd assume basic home defense)? What have you shot before? What are you comfortable with? Preference on revolver, or semi-automatic? Any particular features you're looking for?

My advice... find a range that has a good assortment available for rentals, try out as many as you can and see what you like best. Don't be afraid to ask questions. You'll find no shortage of people (as you'll see when the flood gates open on this thread. Lol) who'd like to share their thoughts on the subject.

I guess, if I had to give you an answer based on what you've said so far... I'd say find a nice revolver, due to their inherent design simplicity, reliability and ease of use. Opinions will vary, though.

bamabear82

I ♥ t-baggin
Hoopla Cash
$ 709.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As others have said, shoot shoot shoot.... then shoot some more. Find something you're comfortable with using. With all the different setups out there (semi/revolver, safety/no safety & safety location, fullsize/compact/subcompact etc.) it can be overwhelming. I have a shortened up 20 ga. pump as my main home defense but carry either a PF9 (DAO, no safety) or Shield 9mm (striker w/safety), both of which are completely different animals but each has it's own features that I like but someone else may not feel comfortable with.

Agent Orange

Harbaugh's shrink
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does your local range have guns to rent? Mine has a ton and for like $20 plus range fee I can go and use as many guns as I want.

I would start there. Go and ask to even just hold a few. Find out what feels comfortable in your hands. Then test some out. The best gun for you is the one you shoot the best.

There are some other things to think about first too:

Semi-Auto or revolver?
9mm? .45ACP? .40S&W? / .38? .357? Both?

The range I’ve been to does rent guns ($ 10 for glasses/ear plugs, $10 for the gun, and $10 for the lane), but my girlfriend has two, a .357 Magnum and a Glock, so I mostly just use hers. I prefer semi-autos to revolvers and I’ll probably own both down the line, but right now I’m not committed to either. I prefer .357 to a .38, but I've used the .357 regularly.

Agent Orange

Harbaugh's shrink
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's quite a few things to consider when purchasing your first firearm. First and foremost... What kind of price range are you looking at? Beyond that... what are you using it for (based on your post, I'd assume basic home defense)? What have you shot before? What are you comfortable with? Preference on revolver, or semi-automatic? Any particular features you're looking for?

My advice... find a range that has a good assortment available for rentals, try out as many as you can and see what you like best. Don't be afraid to ask questions. You'll find no shortage of people (as you'll see when the flood gates open on this thread. Lol) who'd like to share their thoughts on the subject.

I guess, if I had to give you an answer based on what you've said so far... I'd say find a nice revolver, due to their inherent design simplicity, reliability and ease of use. Opinions will vary, though.

Price isn’t really going to be a factor on the gun; however ammo is where things get tricky since I’ll need plenty of practice. Yes, generally it would be for home defense, but I’m actually thinking of target shooting this summer since I’ll actually have time.

The guns I’ve used most consistently are my girlfriend’s Ruger .357 Magnum revolver and her Glock 357 sig (not sure on the model). She thinks a revolver would be a good beginner’s gun, which is what she started with, but she doesn’t have any firearm knowledge beyond whatever her father tells her (and obviously how to properly use them). Now that’s generally still more than what I know, but third hand knowledge and guessing is not how I plan on making my purchase.

Agent Orange

Harbaugh's shrink
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As others have said, shoot shoot shoot.... then shoot some more. Find something you're comfortable with using. With all the different setups out there (semi/revolver, safety/no safety & safety location, fullsize/compact/subcompact etc.) it can be overwhelming. I have a shortened up 20 ga. pump as my main home defense but carry either a PF9 (DAO, no safety) or Shield 9mm (striker w/safety), both of which are completely different animals but each has it's own features that I like but someone else may not feel comfortable with.

Yeah I’ll probably have to shoot a wider variety before I can actually know what would be most comfortable, based on what I’ve fired I’d say the Glock, but that’s not much considering the depth, or lack thereof, concerning my usage.

Agent Orange

Harbaugh's shrink
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess to add a little more information what I’m generally looking for high durability, low maintenance, good accuracy, range, and clip size. From the looks of the responses the two things I should really do are:

Decide between a semi-auto and a revolver
Use a lot more firearms than I have

Thanks for the responses though guys, they definitely have given me a lot to think about. Oh and keep them coming, more information is always welcome.

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess to add a little more information what I’m generally looking for high durability, low maintenance, good accuracy, range, and clip size. From the looks of the responses the two things I should really do are:

Decide between a semi-auto and a revolver
Use a lot more firearms than I have

Thanks for the responses though guys, they definitely have given me a lot to think about. Oh and keep them coming, more information is always welcome.
Looks like you're a perfect candidate for a Glock. Your GF has either a G31, G32, or G33 if she's shooting 357 sig. I've heard it's a great round but would probably be a problem finding in quantity to practice with.

Go try out some Glock 9MM and 45ACP models (and buy your own ears and eyes for God's sake. $10 a trip is ridiculous)

Check out this chart for different models Full Line of Pistols | GLOCK USA

And find out what model Ruger revolver she has. I have a 4.2" SP101 that I love.

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And I know you said low maintenance, and I'm the same way (minimal maintenance IMO) so I'd really suggest watching some youtube tutorials on gun cleaning for both semi autos and revolvers. They don't take much but you'll want to know the basics for keeping them clean, lubed, and ready. They aren't hard to find.

MI Nightmare

Slow Roller
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,317.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
....I'm not sure where to begin. I don't live in a bad location or anything I just feel like it's what any responsible young adult would do. Not even mentioning I have a criminal justice background, although I'm going to be a lawyer, but I digress. Given the general political sway of the site, I figured that there will be enough folks who have some good insight on what type gun would be best for a novice.

I guess I should mention that I'm not a total rookie, I do go to the shooting range from time to time and I do plan to make it a more regular occurrence. Anyway any help would be much appreciated. :suds:

What firearm(s) are you shooting at the range?

The range I’ve been to does rent guns ($ 10 for glasses/ear plugs, $10 for the gun, and $10 for the lane), but my girlfriend has two, a .357 Magnum and a Glock, so I mostly just use hers. I prefer semi-autos to revolvers and I’ll probably own both down the line, but right now I’m not committed to either. I prefer .357 to a .38, but I've used the .357 regularly.

^Nvm.

Last edited by a moderator:

MI Nightmare

Slow Roller
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,317.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If price/availability of ammo concerns you then 9mm is a good caliber as 9mm Luger is about as cheap and widespread as it gets. Eventually you may want to consider reloads.

Are you looking to carry, pocket carry, shoot 200 rounds/week at the range? I'm a believer in long guns as well, especially if you have access to an outdoor rifle/trap range or better yet, the woods.

(I think you'll end up owning more than one).

MI Nightmare

Slow Roller
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,317.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd also recommend taking a a basic firearms class at your range (most offer courses of all levels).

Caynine29

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, it looks like you've already gotten your first Glock endorsement. Lol. And Podunkparte is absolutely right. Glocks are simplicity personified. Reliable, too. Not long ago, I was a Glock hater (had a poor experience with the first one I ever fired), but I've come around. They're still not my favorite, (I'm not a big fan of striker-fired DAO pistols) but they're a very solid choice.

What? What's that, you ask? What's MY favorite? Well, I'm glad you asked. ;)

Since you did mention that money wasn't of consequence... if you're going 9mm, personally, I'd go with a Sig Sauer P226. It was the first pistol I ever bought years ago and I still love it to this day. I've owned several Sigs (I posted my current pistol, the P220 Elite Dark TB, in .45 ACP on the "Post your gun pics" thread) and loved every last one of them. Not a bad one in the bunch. Yeah... you're gonna shell out about $800 for it, but man is it worth it. The P226 is an easy gun to take down and maintain, extremely reliable (it'll fire any brand you put through it flawlessly) and incredibly accurate. If you're gonna splurge on it, Sig is the way to go. Hell... you could probably find a deal on a used one that'll still treat you right.

/fanboy rant. :yahoo:

da55bums

Royals -when they do win its a WS RING.
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
there are a ton of guns, try as many as you can, then buy 1...then master that gun til you can almost shoot blindfolded, laying down, sitting, standing , kneeling, peeking around a door, any situation you can think of...don't get a bunch of different guns...in a clutch situation, you don't want to think that you were shooting one of the "other" guns...

"beware of the man with the 1 gun" an ol west lore.

BF4L

Black/Gold Glasses
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,520.25
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Huge fan of Glocks. I carry a Glock 19.

9mm is still the best bang for the buck on ammo. 14.50 at Wally world..

45 and 357 are well over 20. So if you plan on shooting often I would suggest 9mm.

For carry ammo I use Hornady critical defense.

As others have said there is a lot out there. I have shot so many different kinds of guns I dont recall half of them. I have carried a Sig P238 (380) but always seem to go back to my G19.

Midnightangel

Troll slayer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

My first gun was a .357. You can use either .357 or .38 ammo.

.38 when you want to target shoot and if someone breaks in you have that extra stopping power of a .357 round.

I also went revolver. I didn't get as many rounds as an automatic but it wont jam on you, either.

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In case you wanna check it out. ;)

Sig Sauer P226

I'm actually looking to buy a SIG P226 9mm (earth tone with black) right now but I've never actually bought a pistol before. I was going to make a thread asking how to find the best prices since I haven't had much luck finding prices unless I already know the name of the store (like Cabela's). Right now Cabela's has a deal where you get a couple free magazines and a bag for it but I don't think I have enough information right now to know whether that's a great deal or not.

Mangler

Dis-member
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Take a NRA First Steps pistol course. it will familiarize you with safety, the mechanics of how different pistols operate, and the pros and cons of each for the intended purpose, be it target shooting or home and personal protection. More advanced courses such as Basic pistol or concealed carry classes are available. Go to the NRA website to find a local class