• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

If we are being honest about it, DeVonta Smith is going to establish himself as the best WR in the league within the next 3 years.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tired of what? Getting beat all the time? That was arguably the worst LB corp I’ve ever seen and that was before Nakobe Dean’s injury. It was even worse after it. The Eagles were playing 3 LBs and all three were straight dog shit.
DTs tiring not LBers

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,063.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
DTs tiring not LBers
The DT play was fine. I think you’re referencing the two Georgia kids playing career high in snaps. That was by design. This ain’t Georgia anymore where you get 25-27 reps a game on defense. Both of those guys need to play. That being said, their DT rotation was fine. The issues the Eagles defense had were at Safety and LB. Take Bradbury for instance. He had a poor season but down the stretch he was actually going games with 1-2 targets. There was one game in the losing streak he wasn’t targeted once! Why? Teams didn’t even need to get to that because the Eagles were giving up easy throws in the middle. That’s the safest place to attack with the pass game and why so many defensive schemes try and take it away. Not the Birds, ha. It wasn’t like they didn’t know what was coming or couldn’t scheme. It was the fact that the personnel was so poor.

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Take a look at last year. You lost between like 5 or 10 guys that started for other teams including two DBs and a DT that might have kept you from having one of the most embarrassing, monumental collapses in NFL history had you retained them. That's the cap impact right there. Heck, even the 2 LBers you lost might have kept you from collapsing after watching how horrible your tackling was down the stretch. When you have cap issues you tend to lose depth. You only look at the adds and ignore the subtractions. The whole cap discussion started a while back and trading Wentz was the first bail out. Had you not done that there would have been an issue then. Now this year you traded your best pass rusher and Hurts bigger cap numbers haven't even hit yet. I don't have to even look to see that Smith's contract will have a shit ton of dead money after it ends. Signing players isn't a cap issue unless they are one year deals as the money is always in the back of the deal. Saquon's cap hits for his first two years average what, $4M? Its the dead money that will hit aftter he is gone that will be an issue.
Embarrassing response for you. Looks like you can't admit you were incorrect and that the supposed salary-cap hell facing Philly has never come.

The idea that the salary cap has hamstrung the Eagles and prevented them from signing their own is clearly untrue. Look at Landon Dickerson, Jordan Mailata, Devonta Smith--all locked up with new long-term deals, all early, well before they can hit the open market.

You seem to conflate a Super Bowl runner-up team not being able to re-sign every single veteran FA player on a stacked roster with salary cap issues preventing the re-signing of core drafted players. Those issues are quite different.

Some of the guys you mentioned, like CJ Gardner-Johnson, were acquired via trade and were clearly rentals to try and win a ring. Javon Hargrave was a free agent Philly signed from Pittsburgh for a relatively cheap contract, who then became a FA again and wanted more money. Letting him go was kind of a no-brainer. Signing him would have been the big cap mistake.

I do think the Eagles made mistakes in who they chose to re-sign, notably James Bradberry and Fletcher Cox. They could have spent their FA money better last season. But that was a result of questionable talent evaluation, not the salary cap.

What's behind Dallas's inability to sign any free agents? Are they in cap hell? Or should they perhaps be taking cues from Philly and pushing some salaries into the future, knowing that the cap goes up every year?

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Embarrassing response for you. Looks like you can't admit you were incorrect and that the supposed salary-cap hell facing Philly has never come.

The idea that the salary cap has hamstrung the Eagles and prevented them from signing their own is clearly untrue. Look at Landon Dickerson, Jordan Mailata, Devonta Smith--all locked up with new long-term deals, all early, well before they can hit the open market.

You seem to conflate a Super Bowl runner-up team not being able to re-sign every single veteran FA player on a stacked roster with salary cap issues preventing the re-signing of core drafted players. Those issues are quite different.

Some of the guys you mentioned, like CJ Gardner-Johnson, were acquired via trade and were clearly rentals to try and win a ring. Javon Hargrave was a free agent Philly signed from Pittsburgh for a relatively cheap contract, who then became a FA again and wanted more money. Letting him go was kind of a no-brainer. Signing him would have been the big cap mistake.

I do think the Eagles made mistakes in who they chose to re-sign, notably James Bradberry and Fletcher Cox. They could have spent their FA money better last season. But that was a result of questionable talent evaluation, not the salary cap.

What's behind Dallas's inability to sign any free agents? Are they in cap hell? Or should they perhaps be taking cues from Philly and pushing some salaries into the future, knowing that the cap goes up every year?
Starting with embarrassing is always a sure sign no facts will follow. Typical passive aggressive attempt.

Most of this doesn't even make any sense or has nothing to do with my comment so it's difficult to respond and not go off topic. How they acquired players has nothing to do with it. Why is that even discussed? Drafted, traded for, who cares? CJGJ was absolutely not just a one year rental because you tried to resign him and ended up doing so this year. Yes Hargrave wanted more money and if he didn't you would have tried to re-sign him but couldn't because of your "..." (try and spell it Bradshaw, I'll spot you the C and the A). I pointed out a bunch of guys (there were more) you lost last year that were either key players or key backups and now your best pass rusher. It ended your season because you lost those players. If there were no cap you would have tried to keep them and maybe you even did but were out bid because you couldn't. What exactly is it you think having a cap problem is? It's not being able to re-sign everyone you want and your team suffering because of it. All of those guys you just signed this year don't mean anything yet as we all know year one of the contact has almost no cap hit. Look at the dead money. It's growing even though you have to let guys like those discussed above go.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,063.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Starting with embarrassing is always a sure sign no facts will follow. Typical passive aggressive attempt.

Most of this doesn't even make any sense or has nothing to do with my comment so it's difficult to respond and not go off topic. How they acquired players has nothing to do with it. Why is that even discussed? Drafted, traded for, who cares? CJGJ was absolutely not just a one year rental because you tried to resign him and ended up doing so this year. Yes Hargrave wanted more money and if he didn't you would have tried to re-sign him but couldn't because of your "..." (try and spell it Bradshaw, I'll spot you the C and the A). I pointed out a bunch of guys (there were more) you lost last year that were either key players or key backups and now your best pass rusher. It ended your season because you lost those players. If there were no cap you would have tried to keep them and maybe you even did but were out bid because you couldn't. What exactly is it you think having a cap problem is? It's not being able to re-sign everyone you want and your team suffering because of it. All of those guys you just signed this year don't mean anything yet as we all know year one of the contact has almost no cap hit. Look at the dead money. It's growing even though you have to let guys like those discussed above go.
So why aren’t the Eagles handcuffed now based on your theory? Based on what you’ve said they should be dealing with dead money right now from 2018/2019/2020 that should be handcuffing them. Why were they able to be in on so many FAs and even resign some of their own guys?

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So why aren’t the Eagles handcuffed now based on your theory? Based on what you’ve said they should be dealing with dead money right now from 2018/2019/2020 that should be handcuffing them. Why were they able to be in on so many FAs and even resign some of their own guys?
Because it comes in waves. There were a bunch of guys they couldn’t sign last year. Because of that it has freed up cap space going forward. Had they force signed a few of those guys they would be feeling it this year. Losing their best pass rusher this year is significant.

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

So any team that can’t sign everyone possible to new contracts every offseason is in cap hell according to you?

That effectively means most of the NFL is in cap hell every year! Dallas must be in worse cap hell than anyone! The poor Chiefs should shut it down and give up since there is no hope of them retaining all their Super Bowl roster. Very sad for them I guess.

Here is my definition of cap hell: not being able to field a competitive roster or keep key core players because you cannot afford them, due to financial decisions you made in the past that have constrained your budget.

And…I see no evidence that Philly’s approach to contracts has affected the team’s ability to field a competitive roster or retain core players. Zero. Even Wentz didn’t break the cap because they found a sucker to take his contract.

You’re basically chicken little at this point with this cap nonsense.

Tapey

Hooplas biggest Cardinals homer.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Boy oh boy with how great Eagles fans continue to try and convince everyone how their team is the bestest at everything, you’d think they wouldn’t have just suffered the most embarrassing collapse in nfl history.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,063.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because it comes in waves. There were a bunch of guys they couldn’t sign last year. Because of that it has freed up cap space going forward. Had they force signed a few of those guys they would be feeling it this year. Losing their best pass rusher this year is significant.
Wait… your story this season is going to be that Riddick is a cap casualty? They quit on the player. He was well under the cap. In fact, they have more against the cap because he was traded. I criticized this move and still do. However, it’s not a cap thing. It’s the Eagles thinking the player is on the back end and not wanting to sign up for another 2-3 year commitment for a diminishing player. People will be able to judge them on whether or not they got the evaluation right but it has nothing to do with the cap. The Eagles still have a ton of cap space and likely aren’t done this off season either.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Smith is certainly above average and good, but he's nowhere near the best in the league. I know PFF isn't the bible, but....

1713313298299.png

DK Metcalf is better than Smith (was in the 80s twice in his first two seasons) lol.

Dunno why Eagles are still bumping this thread. Smith is not the best WR in the league and he's nowhere even close (not even near the top 5). The only thing more stupid than this thread to begin with is how Eagles fans keep trying to defend it.

Last edited:

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Boy oh boy with how great Eagles fans continue to try and convince everyone how their team is the bestest at everything, you’d think they wouldn’t have just suffered the most embarrassing collapse in nfl history.
We did, but it wasn't due to the quality of the roster of the salary cap IMO. It was coaching.

I don't think we have the bestest of everything, for sure, but the Eagles have fielded a pretty good roster the past two seasons. Howie did make some mistakes as I noted, but overall, a better coach than Nick Sirianni rights that ship last year at least a little.

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Smith is certainly above average and good, but he's nowhere near the best in the league. I know PFF isn't the bible, but....

View attachment 359799

DK Metcalf is better than Smith (was in the 80s twice in his first two seasons) lol.

Dunno why Eagles are still bumping this thread. Smith is not the best WR in the league and he's nowhere even close (not even near the top 5). The only thing more stupid than this thread to begin with is how Eagles fans keep trying to defend it.
No one still in this thread believes Devonta Smith is the best in the league bro. The OP and his title were always a joke.

I do think he was worth signing to a three-year extension though and glad it got locked down now. He's a very nice #2 receiver on a good offense, between AJ Brown and Dallas Goedert in terms of targets. I think he has yet to hit his NFL ceiling, and love how he runs routes and competes for the ball in the air.

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wait… your story this season is going to be that Riddick is a cap casualty? They quit on the player. He was well under the cap. In fact, they have more against the cap because he was traded. I criticized this move and still do. However, it’s not a cap thing. It’s the Eagles thinking the player is on the back end and not wanting to sign up for another 2-3 year commitment for a diminishing player. People will be able to judge them on whether or not they got the evaluation right but it has nothing to do with the cap. The Eagles still have a ton of cap space and likely aren’t done this off season either.
Jarntt himself has said in here that there must have been more going on than salary, given that they could have kept him this season and just let him walk. They clearly wanted him out of the locker room, for reasons we may never fully understand, but which seem to result from some selfish behavior chasing sacks in the scheme, no matter what, that other players called out.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Jarnnt was talking lame shit before we signed Hargrave that we had no money couldn't sign anyone. Then we signed Hargrave because Howie is a genius and Jarnnt is clueless about the cap. Exactly as you re-educated Jarnnt on Gardner-Johnson. Rinse, repeat.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No one still in this thread believes Devonta Smith is the best in the league bro. The OP and his title were always a joke.

I do think he was worth signing to a three-year extension though and glad it got locked down now. He's a very nice #2 receiver on a good offense, between AJ Brown and Dallas Goedert in terms of targets. I think he has yet to hit his NFL ceiling, and love how he runs routes and competes for the ball in the air.
oh lol.

I do think the signing was a favorable grade for the Eagles, especially with some of the baffling and outright terrible contracts given to quite a few WRs this offseason.

Rowdy

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,828.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What a gift from philthy, with the open net

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You got your wish. The extension goes through the 2027 season. He will be around 28-29. That would be his first 7 years in the NFL at an average annual value of 14.25 million. Sign me up for that kind of salary and production they’ll get out of this contract.
not a bad contract for the eagles actually.
I cant see particulars yet on spotrac, but looking at the 1st two years of the extension. Seems like there might be a balloon payment at end they could get out of if need be. (or extend again instead)

Tapey

Hooplas biggest Cardinals homer.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We did, but it wasn't due to the quality of the roster of the salary cap IMO. It was coaching.

I don't think we have the bestest of everything, for sure, but the Eagles have fielded a pretty good roster the past two seasons. Howie did make some mistakes as I noted, but overall, a better coach than Nick Sirianni rights that ship last year at least a little.
1713320747742.gif

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So any team that can’t sign everyone possible to new contracts every offseason is in cap hell according to you?

That effectively means most of the NFL is in cap hell every year! Dallas must be in worse cap hell than anyone! The poor Chiefs should shut it down and give up since there is no hope of them retaining all their Super Bowl roster. Very sad for them I guess.

Here is my definition of cap hell: not being able to field a competitive roster or keep key core players because you cannot afford them, due to financial decisions you made in the past that have constrained your budget.

And…I see no evidence that Philly’s approach to contracts has affected the team’s ability to field a competitive roster or retain core players. Zero. Even Wentz didn’t break the cap because they found a sucker to take his contract.

You’re basically chicken little at this point with this cap nonsense.
Cap Hell is your word. What I say is Howie kicks the can down the road and it eventually hits home like it did last year and helped lead to your monumental collapse