• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

IF the Lakers got Melo...

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And it's hilarious how you guys try to bunch up on me and say I'm trolling.

Melo is not a winner. He's never been one, and never will be if he goes to LA or NY... if he goes to either of those teams then he clearly doesn't care about winning. He's about money, numbers and self-marketing. A team with Melo as their go-to guy will NEVER win a championship. Ever. That's a fact and if you believe that he could lead a team then you're delusional and know nothing about basketball. Fucking tards.

:L

Seek professional help please little boy!

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is assuming Kobe doesn't return to his typical Kobe-like self. If he's back at full strength I could see them as a 7-8 seed. But an aging Kobe, Melo, Pau, Marshall and Randle...? NONE of those guys are good defenders. They'd give up 105+ PPG easily.

You could probably come up with 3 different and reasonable answers if you assume best case health wise, worst case health wise, and something in the middle.

You don't know who the coach is, but regardless, I agree they would struggle big time on defense.
If all 'Big 3' have to use a lot of effort/ energy on D, then it would carry over and take away from their offense.

Plus, who else is filling out the roster?
Other then Randle, a bunch of veteran minimums?
Also need to see how other teams in West rosters fill out.

I threw the question out there using Love instead of Gasol and said 3-5?
With Gasol instead of Loce, I for sure would project a lower number.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And it's hilarious how you guys try to bunch up on me and say I'm trolling.

Melo is not a winner. He's never been one, and never will be if he goes to LA or NY... if he goes to either of those teams then he clearly doesn't care about winning. He's about money, numbers and self-marketing. A team with Melo as their go-to guy will NEVER win a championship. Ever. That's a fact and if you believe that he could lead a team then you're delusional and know nothing about basketball. Fucking tards.

Addressing your original point first...LAL with Melo/Kobe/Gasol/Randle/Nash...yes they could get to the playoffs...they would have to retain a veteran PG like Farmar as a backup b/c you don't know how much Nash has, but with some decent fill in players they would make the playoffs.

Melo is a shooter, on every team he's been on that's what his job has been, be the primary scorer...can he morph into A piece vs being THE piece? I think he can as long as the team is winning...He played on the Olympic team...he wasn't the main cog there...I will say there is some risk involved, but Melo as a Laker can work.

HizzleRocker

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They still wouldn't be a playoff team IMO. Even if they re-signed Pau. That defense would be atrocious and I don't think Kobe and Melo would co-exist as well as some of you think. 10th seed in the West... do Laker fans WANT this to happen? Serious question.

Kobe, Melo, Randle, and Pau is not a even a playoff team. Please tell me you are kidding. Do you not remember 2 years ago, Kobe willing us to the 8 spot with a team minus a couple of these pieces. Now add in a top 7 pick and a career all-star.....

That's a 3-4 seed in year 1, imo.

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't say Melo isn't a winner just yet. Is he at Lebron's level? No. But what other super star, or hell, all-star has he had by his side while in New York or Denver? Not a damn one.

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kobe, Melo, Randle, and Pau is not a even a playoff team. Please tell me you are kidding. Do you not remember 2 years ago, Kobe willing us to the 8 spot with a team minus a couple of these pieces. Now add in a top 7 pick and a career all-star.....

That's a 3-4 seed in year 1, imo.

Wasn't Howard on that team?
Isn't he now on another team that you compete against?
Plus some other teams in the West have improved since then.
Not being a hater, or trying to stir up shit,
but 82 games of Kobe/ Gasol/ Anthony plus no bench, in the West could easily have them scrambling for a playoff spot, similar to 2 seasons ago.

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wasn't Howard on that team?
Isn't he now on another team that you compete against?
Plus some other teams in the West have improved since then.
Not being a hater, or trying to stir up shit,
but 82 games of Kobe/ Gasol/ Anthony plus no bench, in the West could easily have them scrambling for a playoff spot, similar to 2 seasons ago.

Not trying to speak up for the Lakers. But this was the same narrative with the Heat as it concerned Bosh, Wade, and Lebron. How are you going to contend with 3 all-stars and no bench? A core of Gasol/Melo/Kobe is definitely attractive for veteran players that want that experience and a possible chance at a title.

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not trying to speak up for the Lakers. But this was the same narrative with the Heat as it concerned Bosh, Wade, and Lebron. How are you going to contend with 3 all-stars and no bench? A core of Gasol/Melo/Kobe is definitely attractive for veteran players that want that experience and a possible chance at a title.

If were going with the premise that Kobe/Gasol are playing the season at an all star level,
then I agree, they could be very tough.

The Heat players were all healthy, entering their prime which is a huge difference.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The potential 'Melo, Kobe, Gasol lineup, especially with some solid role players could be a pretty formidable lineup if Kobe and Gasol stay healthy.

I wouldn't go as far as to say they could win a title or even make the finals, but with the level of talent and playoff/championship experience that they would have, they would NOT be a team that I would want to have to go through to get a title.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they keep Love they'll still be somewhat completive. Also, the Pelicans with Davis, Asik, Holliday, Anderson, Gordon, Evans, etc.... they've got some talent too. I just think with how tough it is out West they'd just miss out on one of those last spots.

They'd be relying on too many declining/unproven players with a first year coach.

The Pelicans are a horrendous mismatch of crap surrounding Anthony Davis. They won't be good until they get rid of some of those guards.

Yes, the West is really good. I could easily envision a scenario in which a Lakers team of Kobe, Pao and Melo did not make the playoffs, but it would involve injuries. If that roster were healthy, it should be a playoff team.

Keep in mind though, we don't know who would coach this group. You can't rule out the possibility that they hire a worse fit than D'Antoni.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't say Melo isn't a winner just yet. Is he at Lebron's level? No. But what other super star, or hell, all-star has he had by his side while in New York or Denver? Not a damn one.

Allen Iverson in Denver and Amare was still dominant when Melo was traded to NY. He began to fade as soon as Melo arrived. Part of this was due to injury and age, but part was due to poor chemistry.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Allen Iverson in Denver and Amare was still dominant when Melo was traded to NY. He began to fade as soon as Melo arrived. Part of this was due to injury and age, but part was due to poor chemistry.

The DEN teams were scrappy, played hard and were competitive, but missing too many pieces...NY was just a mistake...I don't think Melo expected to have to carry the team at the beginning.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The DEN teams were scrappy, played hard and were competitive, but missing too many pieces...NY was just a mistake...I don't think Melo expected to have to carry the team at the beginning.

Neither team was all that great, but someone commented that Melo has not played with another all-star. That is not true.

The reason Melo had to carry the team was because the Knicks traded their entire roster to get him.

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Exactly. And Iverson was at the tail end of his career when he was traded to Denver. Still pretty good, but not when he was on the 76ers good.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Pelicans are a horrendous mismatch of crap surrounding Anthony Davis. They won't be good until they get rid of some of those guards.

Yes, the West is really good. I could easily envision a scenario in which a Lakers team of Kobe, Pao and Melo did not make the playoffs, but it would involve injuries. If that roster were healthy, it should be a playoff team.

Keep in mind though, we don't know who would coach this group. You can't rule out the possibility that they hire a worse fit than D'Antoni.

Nah, about the only way that could happen would be if they hired Botslayer.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well if the Lakers don't achieve 50 wins with Anthony (this is assuming he signs with the Lakers), then I suppose Arizona Sting will get to tell everyone "I told you so".

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They still wouldn't be a playoff team IMO. Even if they re-signed Pau. That defense would be atrocious and I don't think Kobe and Melo would co-exist as well as some of you think. 10th seed in the West... do Laker fans WANT this to happen? Serious question.

Clearly it depends on health. If Kobe and Pau stay healthy and Kobe can play close to his pre-Achilles injury level, they are easily a playoff team. I agree that their defense would be bad, but you do have to outscore the opponent to win games. Their lineup would be pretty lethal, especially if Nash can remain healthy as well. Health would be a big question mark with that team.

I think Kobe and Melo could co-exist. I could see Kobe taking on that facilitator role like he did during the second half of the 2012/2013 season. Not many players were playing better than him during that stretch.

Regarding Melo not being a winner, he did lead a team to a NCAA championship. Doesn't that have some merit?

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Neither team was all that great, but someone commented that Melo has not played with another all-star. That is not true.

The reason Melo had to carry the team was because the Knicks traded their entire roster to get him.

Yep...neither was...Amare's skillset was not a good match for Melo or vice versa really. Just 2 big names going to NY.