• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

IF the Lakers got Melo...

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Scoring would go up but I don't think Melo would add a thing to the Lakers D. But IF he goes there I would call at worst the 7th seed.

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They definitely wouldn't be a true contender unless they can fill the roster out with talent and get a good head coach.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They definitely wouldn't be a true contender unless they can fill the roster out with talent and get a good head coach.
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3QsNXd57Ppw]On The Waterfront "I could have been a contender" - YouTube[/ame]

Steelboy84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Still would need a bench and defenders.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It really depends on who signs with the Lakers with Carmelo and the bench that gets added. As of right now Kobe, Gasol, Carmelo and Nash would not be enough. It is not impossible for the Lakers to put together a competitive team and then pull a rabbit out of a hat before the trade deadline like they did when they got Gasol. To make the blanket statement that the Lakers are absolutely not a contender with Carmelo - only shows the stupidity of the fans in here that despise the Lakers.

We need to see the complete team first.

LALakersboy24.7

I am the Lizard King
Hoopla Cash
$ 206.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It really depends on who signs with the Lakers with Carmelo and the bench that gets added. As of right now Kobe, Gasol, Carmelo and Nash would not be enough. It is not impossible for the Lakers to put together a competitive team and then pull a rabbit out of a hat before the trade deadline like they did when they got Gasol. To make the blanket statement that the Lakers are absolutely not a contender with Carmelo - only shows the stupidity of the fans in here that despise the Lakers.

:agree: Well said.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah, I agree. Kobe, Gasol, 'Melo and Nash isn't enough for a title (especially with it seeming unlikely that Nash will be playing much, if at all).

But when people try to speak in these absolutes and claim there's "no way" is pretty ridiculous. Is it going to be very difficult for the Lakers to put together a roster that can contend for a title? Absolutely and I don't think there's a Lakers fan out there that would disagree.

However, to say it's not possible is just being shortsighted and hopeful. It all comes down to what kind of bench they can put together. If they can put together an effective bench so that the older guys, particularly Kobe and Pau (and Nash if he's even available) can log minutes closer to what Duncan, Ginobili and Parker do for the Spurs, then they have a solid shot.

The biggest obstacle in their way would be that they have to come out of the west.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who the hell is the Lakers' coach these days anyway?

btw:...melo is just about 97-100% staying in NY.

Likely, it'll be Byron Scott, but part of the Lakers "pitch" to these guys is that they have both roster and coaching flexibility. It has been widely believed that a big part of the reason that Dwight left last season was because of the Lakers stubbornly sticking with D'Antoni. This time around, they are essentially telling these guys that they can have some say re: the coach and roster.

As for 'Melo, I think he goes back to New York, but I disagree that it's anywhere close to 97-100%. I mean, if it's really that close, why hasn't he just announced it then?

He knows what everyone can offer him, so there's no reason to delay unless he is truly undecided.

Last edited by a moderator:

LucklessPadresFan

Creedence Fanatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They still wouldn't be a playoff team IMO. Even if they re-signed Pau. That defense would be atrocious and I don't think Kobe and Melo would co-exist as well as some of you think. 10th seed in the West... do Laker fans WANT this to happen? Serious question.

I agree, and I don't think Melo wants to wait during the rebuilding process. He may like his money, but I think he stays in the East. The West is so much more competitive and the Lakers won't be in the mix for a couple of years.

LAKERSUSCBAM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
there might be some truth to think he's waiting out if Bosh signs with HOU then he may possibly join Lebron in Miami....then again everything we're hearing/reading is purely speculative. Only he and his handlers know and will let the sports world know at some point.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
there might be some truth to think he's waiting out if Bosh signs with HOU then he may possibly join Lebron in Miami....then again everything we're hearing/reading is purely speculative. Only he and his handlers know and will let the sports world know at some point.

Problem is that Bosh has said that he's waiting on Lebron.

RobToxin

Roid Raging
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.08
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:lol:

Last edited by a moderator:

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Carmelo is meeting with Riley to see if can join James in South Beach.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

there would be friction because Kobe will not be willing to share the star mantle