• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

If offered, what's in it for Tech to join the SEC?

EvanGWatkins

757 Hokie
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
What makes you think that?
History...VT would be a mid level team in the SEC. Don't get me wrong, VT is a great team, but playing Bama, Aub, Ga, S. Car, FLA, LSU, etc each season is going to wear down the team and VT would not be able to continue its 10 win seasons and continual dominance.

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is hard to turn down a 70% increase in TV revenue especially when times are tough. If we stay and FSU (or Clemson) goes then the ACC drops back down in signifigance and VT loses again. I say if offered we go.

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would rather have a shot at building a program to become a traditional top 5 team talent wise(not ranking wise) and that will happen in the SEC before it happens in the ACC sadly.

UTVolCountry

(>',')> Laser_Mike_89
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just think about it, Florida, Tennessee, Georgia and Virginia Tech battling it out for the East...WOW

Smoke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Tech would do fine in the SEC.

HokieGhost

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
What makes you think that?

Tech currently, and consistently, wins ten games per year playing an ACC schedule and a few tough OOC games like Nebraska, Boise State, and Alabama. Our team speed, strength, and depth is good enough to get past our ACC opponents, but we struggle against the FBS heavyweights.

To play an SEC schedule, we will have to recruit players who can compete against players who play for Florida, LSU, Alabama, USC-E, and Auburn on a regular basis. That's not going to happen right away.

In fact, until our recruiting becomes competitive with the top SEC teams, we will struggle through 3-5 years of what we now consider to be sub-par seasons, possibly including a losing season or two. Tech fans will have to prepare for that eventuality since our last losing season was in 1992, 19 years ago.

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
History...VT would be a mid level team in the SEC. Don't get me wrong, VT is a great team, but playing Bama, Aub, Ga, S. Car, FLA, LSU, etc each season is going to wear down the team and VT would not be able to continue its 10 win seasons and continual dominance.

Eh i dont know.... I could definitely see us having a tough first couple of years but i think eventually we would catch up to the talent level on most of those teams and be ok. I mean look at the recruiting classes these teams have to work with, mix those type players with our staff and i think we'd be just fine.

GA, USC-E, Vandy, Tenn, Florida, and Kentucky. <------ overall a great group of teams but i think VT would be favored against all but SC.

ckhokie

Supporting Member Level 69
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tech currently, and consistently, wins ten games per year playing an ACC schedule and a few tough OOC games like Nebraska, Boise State, and Alabama. Our team speed, strength, and depth is good enough to get past our ACC opponents, but we struggle against the FBS heavyweights.

To play an SEC schedule, we will have to recruit players who can compete against players who play for Florida, LSU, Alabama, USC-E, and Auburn on a regular basis. That's not going to happen right away.

In fact, until our recruiting becomes competitive with the top SEC teams, we will struggle through 3-5 years of what we now consider to be sub-par seasons, possibly including a losing season or two. Tech fans will have to prepare for that eventuality since our last losing season was in 1992, 19 years ago.

That's entirely assuming all of the SEC caliber players from VA, NC, and MD continue to leave. It would be tough to convince me that we wouldn't be landing many of the players that skip out to go south to SEC schools if they now had one in their backyard.

ckhokie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And since when is USCe considered considered on the same level as LSU, Fla, Bama, etc??

To say VT couldnt survive in the SEC seems a little flawed. Sure there would be growing pains, but VT of late would match up quite favorably against the likes of Mississippi St., Ole Miss, Arkansas, Vandy, UK, USCe, Tenn (of late), UGA(of late), and even Auburn prior to this last season..

Hokie Swagger

@hokieswagger
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
im sorry but id love to join the SEC. i really hope it happens, but i dont think it will.

ckhokie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
im sorry but id love to join the SEC. i really hope it happens, but i dont think it will.

I hope to god we join the SEC. I have a very bad feeling that if we let this opportunity pass us, we could end up in a mid-grade ACC/conference USA hybrid conference.

Look at what happened to Syracuse football after BC, Tech, and Miami left for the ACC...

Lumbee09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm starting to think the only way we leave for the SEC is if at least 1 other ACC team went with us. I can't see us leaving the ACC as it is now, but if FSU were to happen to leave as well, we need to jump ship. If SEC is only going to 14 teams, I highly doubt we are the 14th team.

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I know that I am in the minority here, but I think that the chances of Virginia Tech going to the SEC are slim to none. In fact, I would hazard a bet that they are more likely to go north to a super conference than south. The issue was discussed last year when it looked like the Big 12 was about to dissolve and Texas was headed to the Pac 12. Interestingly, Virginia tech said "Thanks but no thanks" to the SEC, however did not rule out the possibility of joining with another suitor.....the Big Ten, who also approached VT. That is right, the Big Ten approached Virginia Tech and 6 other schools about a long term 16 team plan. Are we first on their list, no. Are we last, no. <--- I agree 100% i think one of the biggest reason VT would decline is the academic side of things, and VT would be a much better academic fit in the big 10.

I think that Weaver and Beamer do not want the culture that is in the SEC. The program has built itself up to be versatile and not dominated by one sport (though it has been for a while). In addition, the good ole boy network in the SEC is a turnoff to them. way to much Bullshit in the SEC (a lot of their athletic department are basically ran by the boosters) our administration isnt built for that type enviroment

If I had to guess, I would say that Virginia Tech will stay with the ACC for better or worse. I also think that the ACC will be proactive in expanding, and will add some teams that might not be expected. If Texas heads to the Big 10 which looms large in all of these projections. Notre Dame may be turned off. The ACC is not out of it for them at this point. If the ACC loses a team to the SEC (Clemson, FSU), look for them to immediately approach the Pitt-WVU tandem. The fact that the ACC will be open to adding WVU and the Big Ten will not gives the ACC a huge advantage in that bidding war. Pitt is a major player n this because of their location, history and success in multiple sports. An ACC with Pitt, WVU, UCONN and Syracuse is a very viable conference in football, and an absolutely dominant conference in basketball. I would also guess that if the SEC expands the BIG 10 will be quick to counter with expansion of their own. Possibly VT would be part of that package. If the ACC has lost FSU and/or Clemson, i would think we would strongly consider the BIG 10

I am almost 100% confident that the Virginia Tech will remain in the ACC and that the ACC will grow in the next three years.

HokieGhost

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
And since when is USCe considered considered on the same level as LSU, Fla, Bama, etc??

Since they won the SEC Eastern Division last season and lost to Auburn in the SECCG.

Additionally, USC-E has recruited VERY well over the past 3-4 years...they should be contenders for the 2011 SEC crown.

HokieStone

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I do remember when we were picked to finish "middle of the road" when we joined the ACC. Now I don't believe the ACC teams are on par with SEC but you never know till you play. That is why we play the game! Anyone can win on any given Saturday. If your goal is to continue 10 win seasons and not play national championships then your in the wrong business. When it goes to 16 team conferences it would not benefit our athletics by joining the big 10! To compete at the highest level you must play the best! Why has the SEC done so well in the past? They play the best every given week while in conference play. 15 years ago we might not have competed but today...I like our chances!

HokieGhost

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Tech W-L record versus SEC teams:

Virginia Tech Records vs Conference

27 wins, 50 losses, and 5 ties. Just offering a dose of reality to those who believe we can just jump into the SEC and be immediately competitive. Not going to happen.

When we jumped to the ACC, those teams were much closer in talent to the Big East than the ACC is to the SEC. We're 1-3 against SEC teams since we joined the ACC, even though our overall talent level has increased.

To anyone who thinks I'm opposed to jumping to the SEC, let me assure you that I'm not opposed in any way. But, some Tech fans are going to have to get a lot more realistic about how well they think we'll do in out first 3-5 years in the SEC.

On the flip side, I want Coach Beamer to finally win that NC trophy. It will be MUCH easier to get to the NC Game from the ACC over the next 3-5 years than it will be to get there from the SEC.

vtpoop

Same poop, different day
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tech W-L record versus SEC teams:

Virginia Tech Records vs Conference

27 wins, 50 losses, and 5 ties. Just offering a dose of reality to those who believe we can just jump into the SEC and be immediately competitive. Not going to happen.

When we jumped to the ACC, those teams were much closer in talent to the Big East than the ACC is to the SEC. We're 1-3 against SEC teams since we joined the ACC, even though our overall talent level has increased.

To anyone who thinks I'm opposed to jumping to the SEC, let me assure you that I'm not opposed in any way. But, some Tech fans are going to have to get a lot more realistic about how well they think we'll do in out first 3-5 years in the SEC.

On the flip side, I want Coach Beamer to finally win that NC trophy. It will be MUCH easier to get to the NC Game from the ACC over the next 3-5 years than it will be to get there from the SEC.

I understand your point, but you also have to consider most of that record came when our football program was nowhere near what it is today. As far as the 1-3 record against the SEC since we joined the ACC, two of those losses were to national champions (LSU and Alabama) and another was to an undefeated Auburn team that would have been national champ if not for USC using an ineligible player. Granted, we had no business losing to Georgia in 2006, but it happens. Since our bowl streak started, we've also beaten LSU, Alabama and Tennessee.
I think if we joined the SEC, we probably be looking at 2 or 3 eight win seasons before we started to accumulate the talent we needed to stay at the 10-win level, challenge for a championship. We'd probably be on par with an Arkansas, Ole Miss. You also have to remember, SEC teams generally play 3 absolute cupcakes on average and maybe one semi-tough to tough non-conference game because the conference games are so strong, so nobody could say anything about our scheduling if we went that route as well.
That being said, I don't think we will leave the ACC because it is where we've always wanted to be and the travel distances and natural rivalries were a big part of that. Remember how much our travel costs went down after leaving the Big East? And while I don't think we will leave, I just hope that our school leaders will at least consider it carefully before just poo-pooing the idea.

Last edited by a moderator:

HokieStone

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
If WVU were to join the SEC they would have a recruiting advantage regional compared to us. Thats what scares me!

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Travel costs would go up but TV revenues would go up more