• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Idea For NFL Combine

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
The NFL should get an Olympic sprinter to come to Indianapolis and run the 40 during the combine. I think that would get a ton of attention. Maybe not as much as Rich Eisen running the 40, but it'd make for interesting discussion.

sjballer03

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
It would be cool to see Usain Bolt run at the combine. I wonder what his 40 time would be. I do know that in the 100m he doesn't really get going until the 2nd 50 meters. He'd have to adjust his stride/technique for the 40 yd dash.

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It would be cool to see Usain Bolt run at the combine. I wonder what his 40 time would be. I do know that in the 100m he doesn't really get going until the 2nd 50 meters. He'd have to adjust his stride/technique for the 40 yd dash.

Bolt isn't known for having a great first 50 of his races, it's the second half where he really excels. You might be better suited to get a 60 meter sprinter like Dwain Chambers or someone like him. Maurice Green in his prime would have been an excellent choice.

sjballer03

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Bolt isn't known for having a great first 50 of his races, it's the second half where he really excels. You might be better suited to get a 60 meter sprinter like Dwain Chambers or someone like him. Maurice Green in his prime would have been an excellent choice.

Sometimes I think he slacks off a bit in the first 50. One thing for sure is if the NFL wants more eyes on the Combine, Bolt is your man.

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sometimes I think he slacks off a bit in the first 50. One thing for sure is if the NFL wants more eyes on the Combine, Bolt is your man.

It isn't that he's slacking off, it's just that he's not a great starter. Bolt is a strider, once he hits his stride his top end speed exceeds everyone else by a great margin.

sjballer03

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Walter Dix reportedly ran a 3.75 so I would assume Bolt would be at least there.

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The NFL should get an Olympic sprinter to come to Indianapolis and run the 40 during the combine. I think that would get a ton of attention. Maybe not as much as Rich Eisen running the 40, but it'd make for interesting discussion.

I'm just waiting for the year he decides to be smart and wear athletic gear. It's not like it's a surprise anymore. Ditch the suit.

Hangman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,152.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even better would be to have the NBA combine/MLB combine(there aint one yet)/NHL combine (aint one yet)/MLS combine (Aint one yet) and NFL combine done at the same place so we can see who has the better athletes.

Then have all the drafts on the same day. That way a player not drafted tot he NBA can get drafted to be a WR and a WR not drafted can be drafted as a center fielder and a soccer player can play some hockey. And a Catcher can become a goalie. ect...

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I'm just waiting for the year he decides to be smart and wear athletic gear. It's not like it's a surprise anymore. Ditch the suit.

Maybe one of those suit-and-tie T-shirts.

Or he could do a theme run every year like go w/ the Harbaugh Niner shirt & Khakis.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Walter Dix reportedly ran a 3.75 so I would assume Bolt would be at least there.

And Bo Jackson reportedly ran a 4.12, so this is why I think it'd be interesting to see what Olympic sprinters would actually run at the combine based on the combine variables.

I don't think Bolt would break 4 seconds. I think he'd probably run like a 4.15 at best.

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And Bo Jackson reportedly ran a 4.12, so this is why I think it'd be interesting to see what Olympic sprinters would actually run at the combine based on the combine variables.

I don't think Bolt would break 4 seconds. I think he'd probably run like a 4.15 at best.

It is a different type of sprint IMO. Track sprinters prepare for track and field races meaning they wear specific spikes and run on specific surfaces; I believe the NFL combine is a bit out of their element sprint wise. The 3.75 ran by Dix was on a track in a track and field setting; I don't know that taking them out of that environment would be beneficial for anyone involved.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I don't know that taking them out of that environment would be beneficial for anyone involved.

What do you mean by "beneficial?" An Olympic sprinter is still gonna run the 40 faster than any college football player. I just think it'd be cool to have some kind of comparison rather than trying to equate what a sprinter does on a rubber surface with spikes & all kinds of other different variables.

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What do you mean by "beneficial?" An Olympic sprinter is still gonna run the 40 faster than any college football player. I just think it'd be cool to have some kind of comparison rather than trying to equate what a sprinter does on a rubber surface with spikes & all kinds of other different variables.

By beneficial I mean that I don't see what kind of benefit that this would bring to a guy like Bolt, I don't know why he would want to do it. I understand that it would be cool for you but the NFL would have to pay heavily for this most likely.

What they could do is take a look at sprinters in the NFL already; guys like Jamal Charles, CJ Spiller, Chris Johnson, etc.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
By beneficial I mean that I don't see what kind of benefit that this would bring to a guy like Bolt, I don't know why he would want to do it. I understand that it would be cool for you but the NFL would have to pay heavily for this most likely.

What they could do is take a look at sprinters in the NFL already; guys like Jamal Charles, CJ Spiller, Chris Johnson, etc.

The benefit is the NFL would pay them to do it. And it wouldn't have to be the gold medalist. If they got anyone from the Olympic sprinting team I think it would make for a really interesting story. And I'm sure one of those guys would happily fly out for one afternoon's work if they were paid to do it. The chump change it would take to get a real sprinter in there would probably be easily recouped by some additional interest in the combine in the form of internet traffic & maybe even viewership.

...well on second thought I'm not sure about it; just an idea.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Even better would be to have the NBA combine/MLB combine(there aint one yet)/NHL combine (aint one yet)/MLS combine (Aint one yet) and NFL combine done at the same place so we can see who has the better athletes.

Then have all the drafts on the same day. That way a player not drafted tot he NBA can get drafted to be a WR and a WR not drafted can be drafted as a center fielder and a soccer player can play some hockey. And a Catcher can become a goalie. ect...

That would be a difficult feat to pull off. For one, if the players didn't have experience with skating, the idea of becoming a hockey player can be tossed out the window.

But more importantly, when are you going to hold this mass combine and draft? If we just look at regular and post-season games (ignore training camp etc):

MLB: April - November
NFL: September - February
NHL: October - June
NBA: November - June
MLS - February - November

It's also different aspects of fitness that each sport depends on. Hockey and soccer depend a lot more on cardio than the other 3. Baseball is most reliant on hand-eye coordination.

I also wonder how the draft would work. If all the drafts are at the same time, how long would a football team have to wait to draft a basketball player?

And are we really to expect these guys to be able to compete at an elite level in a sport they have little, if any, experience in?

Lastly, the NHL has a combine:
NHL.com - Marr: 120 players invited to NHL Scouting Combine - Prospects