• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

I was wrong about Alex Smith

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Smith will get more than 2.3 Mil per year. 2 years, 8 million is more like it.

I think he is saying 7 million per year, but I suppose I could be wrong, in which I'd disagree with that number as being fair... as far as NFL QBs go that is. Relative to other careers, 2.3 is more than fair. :P

He's getting 5 million for this year when he hadn't preformed well. I imagine even the home town discount won't make him less money, so even 2 year 8 million is out. 2 years, 11 million anyone?

Last edited by a moderator:

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
if you're Alex Smith right now, knowing you're playing well, took a "smaller" one year contract (by starting QB standards), and returned to SF despite all the booing what would you think is fair?

despite the thouands of "we want Carr" and criticisms, you return, make the play-offs, and might even win a play-off game. what would you be thinking is fair for NOW a quality starting QB?

sayheykid1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
three years is fine but it takes two sides to agree?

btw - if we decide to re-sign Alex, there shouldn't be any talk of being a back-up? you go in saying you're our guy so lets get the deal done.

everyone knows its competition every off season and just like any player on any team, at some point someone will 'out compete' you. so when somebody beats out Alex, he simply becomes the back-up at that time.

Three years is what I would max out at.
I wouldn't sell Alex on the possibility of being the backup, I am just saying that the willingness of Harbaugh, Baalke and Jed to make a change needs to be there regardless of Alex's contract.

sayheykid1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
if you're Alex Smith right now, knowing you're playing well, took a "smaller" one year contract (by starting QB standards), and returned to SF despite all the booing what would you think is fair?

despite the thouands of "we want Carr" and criticisms, you return, make the play-offs, and might even win a play-off game. what would you be thinking is fair for NOW a quality starting QB?

I don't care about fair but he has been paid way more than what he has been worth, so how fair is that? Smith has been a decent QB I am not sure how quality he would be in Denver or Seattle. He hasn't succeeded under a lot of different circumstances here so I am not sure how many other places he would be doing as well as he is here and now.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Damnit Deep, you had to go add in reality and perspective/context into it all, didn't you? It was much easier to just dictate what the player takes and when he'd be the backup. (I'm guilty of this too, not making fun of sayheykid)

I'd think 7 per year is the minimum I'd ask for if not more. If I'm the team, I'm trying to offer a fair low value and if I'm the player I'd ask for a high fair value. As a player, I'd go into it trying to get 7 or more. If I were the team I'd try to get it below 8-9 (though I'd go for 5-7 first). But I'm getting carried away, he might not get that much.

Giantsmojo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yeah, Alex will want to stay so that'll help a lot. don't think his market value is 'franchise' to any other team, despite what he's doing now. that said, don't think this range is high enough?

wouldn't extend him now, just let the season play out.

I'm not sure I want the QB going into the playoffs with thinking about next season, but also wanting to see Smith maintain good play late into the season and against good talent like Baltimore and Pittsburg, which is why I say wait until after the Steelers game as I don't care how he plays against STL and AZ as he should have no problem with those teams as the expectations are he should put up good to great numbers against them. I don't think Smith would let his contract situation effect his performance, but I would rather not take the chance no matter how slim.

I don't think he is going to give the fans "We want Carr" or the booing a second thought when it comes to where he wants to play, he knows that the QB is always the scapegoat for most of the fans who really don't understand the whole picture.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Damnit Deep, you had to go add in reality and perspective/context into it all, didn't you? It was much easier to just dictate what the player takes and when he'd be the backup. (I'm guilty of this too, not making fun of sayheykid)

I'd think 7 per year is the minimum I'd ask for if not more. If I'm the team, I'm trying to offer a fair low value and if I'm the player I'd ask for a high fair value. As a player, I'd go into it trying to get 7 or more. If I were the team I'd try to get it below 8-9 (though I'd go for 5-7 first). But I'm getting carried away, he might not get that much.

haaa, yeah we always look at it from our own perspective. its like we can dictate what each player should do?

if i'm Alex, think i'd be fine with less base and bonus, cause yeah, i already got paid some pretty penny. at this point its not about the money like other top QB's, but trying to perform consistently and win trophies.

i'd look to get ABOUT 2/3 pay of top NFL QB's, and push incentives? don't know if i could get it, but thats where i'd try to hold ground.

Mozart'sGhost

"Floating In My Tin Can, High Above The World...."
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I think he is saying 7 million per year, but I suppose I could be wrong, in which I'd disagree with that number as being fair... as far as NFL QBs go that is. Relative to other careers, 2.3 is more than fair. :P

He's getting 5 million for this year when he hadn't preformed well. I imagine even the home town discount won't make him less money, so even 2 year 8 million is out. 2 years, 11 million anyone?

Yes. You are right. If he's making 5 mil this year, my estimate of 2yrs at 4 mil per year makes no sense.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I meant to say 7 million a year and that's based on the fact he's making 5 million this year. So clearly he's going to want and likely get more than that from the team.

You can assume with a full offseason and actually having the same coordinator and offensive scheme he should have a better season next year. In fact we're already seeing the offense grow and expand from what it was in week 1.

And again compared to what other starting QBs are making 7 million per year isn't really that much.