• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

'I Want 12 Draft Picks' ~ McLovin'

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Andrew Walker...

Scot McCloughan: ‘I Want 12’ Draft Picks 

Last year, Scot McCloughan told reporters he’d like to find a way to turn the Redskins’ seven draft picks into 10.

Two Draft Day trades later, the Redskins did just that, finding a way to pick 10 players in the 2015 NFL Draft.

In 2016, that self-described “greed” is back for McCloughan, now in his second season as Washington’s general manager.

On Sunday, he told “Redskins Nation” host Larry Michael that if he gets his way, the Redskins will turn their eight 2016 NFL Draft picks into 12.

“The thing is, the more you kind of swing at it, the more chances you’ve got to hit,” McCloughan said from the annual NFL Owners Meetings in Boca Raton, Fla. “And I think last year we had a solid draft – we got some guys that came in and helped us win a division – we’re going to keep adding to it. And the more picks I can get, the more younger guys – the more healthier guys – I’m going that route.”

In 2015, McCloughan used the help of Redskins team President Bruce Allen and Eric Schaffer, Washington’s VP of Football Administration, to get the 10-player draft haul he wanted that helped establish the identity he needed to infuse into the roster.

In the process – and after trading their 2016 sixth-round pick to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers for safety Dashon Goldson and their 2016 seventh-round pick – the Redskins set themselves up with eight picks in this year’s draft (one pick each in rounds one through six and two picks in round seven).

McCloughan’s desire for additional draft picks only continues to push home his mission to bring in young, homegrown talent instead of spending big in free agency each year.

I preach and preach and preach and I’ll never change: you build through the draft,” he said. “You identify your own – who can play, but not just from a talent standpoint, but from a personality standpoint, character standpoint, a passion standpoint, a competitive standpoint where you know, ‘This guy fits what we’re looking for. We can build on these guys.’ And they teach younger guys how to do it.”

Free agency certainly still plays an important part during the offseason, as it allows a team to address specific needs. Take this year’s free agent class, for example: the Redskins have signed just three players – defensive end Kendall Reyesicon-article-link.gif, safety David Bruton Jr.icon-article-link.gif and linebacker Terence Garvinicon-article-link.gif – who weren’t on the team in 2015.

“Like I did last year, and I’m going to keep trying to do, especially in free agency, is bring guys from organizations that have won in defenses that have been very strong, very powerful – and offense, too – but it’s just bringing guys in that have seen it,” McCloughan said. “They know what it looks like. They know how to practice, they know how to take notes, they know how to lift weights – they understand, ‘This is what we have to do to be successful.’”

But, again, developing your own players, McCloughan said, is the best route.

You mold them. You draft them, you bring them into your building. You know, the first experience in the NFL is with the Washington Redskins,” he said. “I think that’s important because the coaches know them, they know how they learn, they know how to put them in a situation to be successful or not successful, they know how to make them become better football players.”

Attachments

• upload_2016-3-20_19-55-38.gif
    upload_2016-3-20_19-55-38.gif
    43 bytes · Views: 13

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Andrew Walker...

Scot McCloughan: ‘I Want 12’ Draft Picks

Last year, Scot McCloughan told reporters he’d like to find a way to turn the Redskins’ seven draft picks into 10.

Two Draft Day trades later, the Redskins did just that, finding a way to pick 10 players in the 2015 NFL Draft.

In 2016, that self-described “greed” is back for McCloughan, now in his second season as Washington’s general manager.

On Sunday, he told “Redskins Nation” host Larry Michael that if he gets his way, the Redskins will turn their eight 2016 NFL Draft picks into 12.

“The thing is, the more you kind of swing at it, the more chances you’ve got to hit,” McCloughan said from the annual NFL Owners Meetings in Boca Raton, Fla. “And I think last year we had a solid draft – we got some guys that came in and helped us win a division – we’re going to keep adding to it. And the more picks I can get, the more younger guys – the more healthier guys – I’m going that route.”

In 2015, McCloughan used the help of Redskins team President Bruce Allen and Eric Schaffer, Washington’s VP of Football Administration, to get the 10-player draft haul he wanted that helped establish the identity he needed to infuse into the roster.

In the process – and after trading their 2016 sixth-round pick to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers for safety Dashon Goldson and their 2016 seventh-round pick – the Redskins set themselves up with eight picks in this year’s draft (one pick each in rounds one through six and two picks in round seven).

McCloughan’s desire for additional draft picks only continues to push home his mission to bring in young, homegrown talent instead of spending big in free agency each year.

I preach and preach and preach and I’ll never change: you build through the draft,” he said. “You identify your own – who can play, but not just from a talent standpoint, but from a personality standpoint, character standpoint, a passion standpoint, a competitive standpoint where you know, ‘This guy fits what we’re looking for. We can build on these guys.’ And they teach younger guys how to do it.”

Free agency certainly still plays an important part during the offseason, as it allows a team to address specific needs. Take this year’s free agent class, for example: the Redskins have signed just three players – defensive end Kendall ReyesView attachment 99964, safety David Bruton Jr.View attachment 99965 and linebacker Terence GarvinView attachment 99966 – who weren’t on the team in 2015.

“Like I did last year, and I’m going to keep trying to do, especially in free agency, is bring guys from organizations that have won in defenses that have been very strong, very powerful – and offense, too – but it’s just bringing guys in that have seen it,” McCloughan said. “They know what it looks like. They know how to practice, they know how to take notes, they know how to lift weights – they understand, ‘This is what we have to do to be successful.’”

But, again, developing your own players, McCloughan said, is the best route.

You mold them. You draft them, you bring them into your building. You know, the first experience in the NFL is with the Washington Redskins,” he said. “I think that’s important because the coaches know them, they know how they learn, they know how to put them in a situation to be successful or not successful, they know how to make them become better football players.”

i like the way he thinks . we are heading in the right direction 12 picks , wouldnt that be great ?

Buffalo_Nickel_1

Hoopla Cash
$ 268.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
maybe since pats lost there first pick scot will trade with the pats

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Scot certainly has an eye for talent. One of the things I like about Scot though is he realizes that personnel decisions are a bit of a crap shoot and the more chances he has the better the chance of succeeding.

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't get me wrong guys I like SM's philosophy. It does prove that with more picks you have a better chance on hitting but there could be some draw backs. Last year when we traded down in the 3rd round it brought us Jones and Kojo. Good move but the flip side was that we lost out on David Johnson from the Cards who is now a franchise back in Ari. Can Jones be this type of Player? Maybe, but just think about having Johnson on our team right now.

Sure there are advantages trading down by getting more pics but there is always a flip side. In this years draft where the draft is loaded with DL I would like to see a trade down from us. I think we still can get a starter in late round 1 and in round 2. I just hope we don't pass on a stud to get two average players. There is no way to know that but it could happen. Just my 2 cents.

redskinsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In 2011, we traded our #10 pick overall to the Jags for their #16 overall and their second rounder. They picked Blaine Gabbert and we got Kerrigan and Jarvis Jenkins out of those two picks.

At #11, the Texans chose JJ Watt.

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
right.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't get me wrong guys I like SM's philosophy. It does prove that with more picks you have a better chance on hitting but there could be some draw backs. Last year when we traded down in the 3rd round it brought us Jones and Kojo. Good move but the flip side was that we lost out on David Johnson from the Cards who is now a franchise back in Ari. Can Jones be this type of Player? Maybe, but just think about having Johnson on our team right now.

Sure there are advantages trading down by getting more pics but there is always a flip side. In this years draft where the draft is loaded with DL I would like to see a trade down from us. I think we still can get a starter in late round 1 and in round 2. I just hope we don't pass on a stud to get two average players. There is no way to know that but it could happen. Just my 2 cents.

dont you think its a stretch to call a guy with 5 starts , 581 yds and a 4.6 yds per carry a franchise back ? this is the kind of statement that draws fire . sure he could be a franchise back but at this point i see a guy who had a good rookie season and that is it

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
dont you think its a stretch to call a guy with 5 starts , 581 yds and a 4.6 yds per carry a franchise back ? this is the kind of statement that draws fire . sure he could be a franchise back but at this point i see a guy who had a good rookie season and that is it

Sure anything can happen but Johnson just looks like a beast right now. skinsdad, what do you call Johnson right now? an average back? lol

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
its just like redskinsfan pointed out trading back can bite you in the ass. more isn't actually better in the long run. But its a safe way to build a team. That I agree with. But you guys have to admit that there are good and bad sides from trading back in the draft.

Last edited:

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think the Redskins got bit on the ass and hindsight is 20/20. Sorry dean but it is guys like you and many media types that makes me glad Scot is the GM. Not everything has to be a 4 carat diamond. I'll take 3 one carat diamonds and end up with a Crowder, Jarrett etc. :2cents:

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's an example from the other side which we all can relate to. Many on here felt the trade up (potentially 4 starters) was worth it for Griffin. Many on here yelled STUPID pick when Cousins was drafted in the 4th round. It is possible we could have had 4 additional starters and Cousins. Meanwhile, 2 weeks into free agency Griffin is still unemployed.

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
sportster I agree in what SM is doing. what the hell was that? I am giving you both sides here.

Ritzarmy

RIP WLK Loving father, husband, & friend to ALL
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,145.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
upload_2016-3-21_15-44-19.png

I trust Scot so much that if he said we should sign Albert Haynesworth I would have faith in his decisions. The man in just his short time with us (to me) has shown he can build us a championship team if we follow what he says and get Snyder out of his way. Love the philosophy the more picks the better our chances. Its like getting lottery tickets. Its not a guarantee you will win with every scratch off but the more tickets you have the more chances you have of finding a winning lottery ticket. The Patriots have done this for the last 10 years always having 9+ picks. Sometimes they would use them all and some they would trade for a earlier round in the following year draft. I am looking forward to the 3 days of drafting a lot more then spring training.

What time is the 2016 NFL Draft?
Round 1 on April 28 will start at 8 p.m..

Rounds 2 and 3 on April 29 will begin at 7 p.m.

Finally, rounds 4-7 will begin at noon on April 30.

Ritzarmy

RIP WLK Loving father, husband, & friend to ALL
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,145.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Off the topic but still love love love the Redskins banner so much. Amazing job @DoobeeDoobeeDoo :suds:

Doobee should reply back with "You Like That, You Like That"

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
sportster I agree in what SM is doing. what the hell was that? I am giving you both sides here.

It wasn't meant to be mean. You yourself know you draw a line in the sand and do not cross it it i.e. Murphy, Long, Scherff. You tend to look at the star player and not so much the little guys that make up a football team too. You start the season off with 53 guys and probably need at least another 10 just to make it through the season. You need all or most of them to play.

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One problem at drafting with hind sight, you can't the actual board for our team. How do we know they didn't have Jones ahead of Johnson? With Watt, maybe DE wasnt seen as a huge need. Hind sight is a bitch...Every team that passed on Watt is kicking their own ass.

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
gk, you said yourself that you go with BPA regardless of need. So if Watt was the highest rated player on the board you had to take him. Right? From what I read about the RB's last year was that Coleman and Duke JOhnson (3rd rounders')were scat backs. David Johnson was a three down back and wasn't as big as jones, but a lot faster with great hands. I agree we don't not know what was on the Redskins draft board at that time. Just like the gabe Jackson vs S. Long thing. Plus Long had an injury history and we still took him.

FWIW we did get blasted for the Jones pick in the 3rd round. NFL circles were saying he was a 4th rounder b/c of his injury history. So the way I am looking at it right now is we gave up David Johnson for Matt Jones and Kojo. It could very well work in our favor if Kojo becomes our starting LG and Jones develops into a #1 back. My whole point is that its nice to accumulate draft picks but who is to say the extra picks we get are going to work out. Im not against trading down its just that you have to look on who are you passing when you move down.

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't want to give the wrong impression. I think it is cool if you have the time to study personnel the way some on this board do. I wish I had that kind of time. That being said there aren't many absolutes. It isn't any different in college. You recruit a 4 or 5 star kid and he crashes and burns while some walk on like Nassib @ Penn State gets better and better and ends up getting drafted or some 6th round draft pick named Brady lights the league up for 18 years.

I don't think McCloughan is going to pass on someone he really likes and I think that was the case last year with Scherff. But if it's your pick and you have a lot of people on your board you still like trade back and try to get two of them.

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
gk, you said yourself that you go with BPA regardless of need. So if Watt was the highest rated player on the board you had to take him. Right? From what I read about the RB's last year was that Coleman and Duke JOhnson (3rd rounders')were scat backs. David Johnson was a three down back and wasn't as big as jones, but a lot faster with great hands. I agree we don't not know what was on the Redskins draft board at that time. Just like the gabe Jackson vs S. Long thing. Plus Long had an injury history and we still took him.

FWIW we did get blasted for the Jones pick in the 3rd round. NFL circles were saying he was a 4th rounder b/c of his injury history. So the way I am looking at it right now is we gave up David Johnson for Matt Jones and Kojo. It could very well work in our favor if Kojo becomes our starting LG and Jones develops into a #1 back. My whole point is that its nice to accumulate draft picks but who is to say the extra picks we get are going to work out. Im not against trading down its just that you have to look on who are you passing when you move down.

LOL, there goes that line in the sand again. We will have Scot give you a call on draft day. Give me that 4 carat diamond.