• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

I think it's a mistake to go into "reload" mode

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
So I disagree with some of you (imac) who believe the Niners are "close" to a SB despite the fact that they got close this year. More specifically I don't think the Niners are close from a personnel standpoint.

Teams like the Packers, Saints, Pats, Ravens, Steelers, etc all went into the season knowing they were contenders from a personnel standpoint. Their offseasons were designed to fill any holes that are missing. The Niners, on the other hand, are still waiting for the foundation to dry.

Let's be honest: The Niners got pretty lucky against the Saints. But just because the Niners were a combination of lucky and playing to the maximum of their capabilities doesn't mean they will be next year. Next year they're gonna have a 1st place schedule; the Rams, Cardinals & Seahawks are all probably going to be better.

The Niners need to still be making long term personnel moves rather than doing touch up work. I'm not saying the Niners CAN'T win a SB next year; a lucky bounce or two and the Niners would be playing the Pats next week (I think they would've lost on a neutral turf though). I just think they should be as concerned with 2013 & 2014 as they are with 2012.

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's just be clear ok. The Giants got lucky against us.

We went 13-3 with no offseason, a new offense, a new defense, a few new starters, and an entirely new coaching staff. We were suppose to finish around the bottom of the league this year because of these things. That fact that we did not shows how talented this ground really is with the right coaching. I don't get why you would think this team would not be better next year after having a full off-season together to work on things they just did not have time for while preparing for games every week. I don't know about 13-3 again with the tougher schedule, but I expect us to look and play even better.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Sick, you want to rebuild. You're STILL talking about trading our top players. When you're 4-12 it makes sense to gut the roster, but not when you went 13-3, even if you slightly overachieved. It's not about reloading. It's continuing to build on the foundation instead of looking for a new foundation.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Yes. I want to re-build. I see a 2nd tier roster with a 1st tier head coach who out-played its talent level last year.

If the Niners had a great QB I would be singing a different tune.

In fact I'd not only trade Justin Smith for a 1st rounder I'd trade Sopoaga for the right price.

Then I'd try to sign Mario Williams.

Last edited by a moderator:

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Yes. I want to re-build. I see a 2nd tier roster with a 1st tier head coach who out-played its talent level last year.

2 completely contradictory statements.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
2 completely contradictory statements.

How did I contradict myself? I have no faith in this roster to win a SB. I was saying that all year! If the Niners had a great QB they'd be a 1st rate roster. What about that doesn't make sense?

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
You say we're a QB away, but that we're a second rate roster the rest of the way.

You want to gut a team that is one player away.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Let's just be clear ok. The Giants got lucky against us.

The Niners still couldn't move the ball at ALL when the game was on the line. They got lucky, but it's not like the Niners fumbled when they were about to kick the winning FG. They fumbled in their own territory.

I don't get why you would think this team would not be better next year after having a full off-season together to work on things they just did not have time for while preparing for games every week.

Everyone else gets a full offseason too. The Niners just about maxed out their potential this year and it wasn't enough.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
You say we're a QB away, but that we're a second rate roster the rest of the way.

You want to gut a team that is one player away.

One "player" away isn't the same thing as one QB away. A great QB is the equivalent of a lot of "players" on the team in terms of value.

If the Niners get a healthy Peyton Manning then put the pedal to the metal and forget the 2013 season. Otherwise keep building.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
One "player" away isn't the same thing as one QB away. A great QB is the equivalent of a lot of "players" on the team in terms of value.

If the Niners get a healthy Peyton Manning then put the pedal to the metal and forget the 2013 season. Otherwise keep building.

"Keep building" is not what you're advocating though. You want to gut the foundation to add draft picks because draft picks are things we can speculate about. We can't speculate about what Justin Smith is. We know he's one of the best 3 defensive players in the league. But if we trade him for picks, we can speculate about who we will take, then we can debate how good those players will be.

It's much more entertaining to trade Smith and discuss the ROI than it is to just keep what we have and talk about how awesome he is.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
You want to gut the foundation to add draft picks because draft picks are things we can speculate about.

I want to "gut" the defense and get draft pick(s) because they would add more LONG TERM potential to the team than Justin Smith could possibly achieve. He helps short term. A draft pick plus a younger FA (like Mario Williams) helps long term.

I'll give you an example of the opposite thinking. The ONLY time I ever though the way you're thinking since I've been posting anything about the Niners back in 2000 was just after the Niners' 2002 playoff loss to the Buccs. I said the Niners have the potential to win it all in 2003, but they have to go balls out & sign a few big FAs. Donahue didn't do that. He re-signed the Niners' players, but he didn't go out and get the pieces necessary to put a championship caliber team together. Hense the Niners missed the playoffs that year. I think if they had a few big FAs on that roster the talent level would've been up there with the best in the league (certainly with the Panthers).

It's all about my view of the Niners' talent level. You obviously think it's a lot higher than I do. But I was saying all season that the Niners didn't have the talent to win it all; and I was right despite them maxing out their potential and getting REALLY lucky against the Saints.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
we didn't get lucky against the saints. the defense punched the saints in the mouth and they couldn't handle it. smith and vernon are capable of those big plays so it isn't anything out of the ordinary.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
we didn't get lucky against the saints. the defense punched the saints in the mouth and they couldn't handle it. smith and vernon are capable of those big plays so it isn't anything out of the ordinary.

Which roster would you rather have next year? The Saints' roster or the Niners' roster?

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
can i take their offense and our d?

tallglassofwater007

Large Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

In fact I'd not only trade Justin Smith for a 1st rounder I'd trade Sopoaga for the right price.

Then I'd try to sign Mario Williams.

You want to rebuild in what way?? Blow up the team and start over??

RedneckNiner

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd take Justin Smith over Mario Williams. Justin has no quit in him he plays hard opens up holes for Aldon an everyone else on defense to make plays. The force fumble on Maclin, tipped pass to beat the Giants in the regular season, Manhandling the Saints Oline the man is a beast. Football means winning on offense and defense. I know it is sexier to have big gaudy offensive stats but you are robbing peter to pay paul. And hell I prefer defense maybe I am just old school that way. Besides we'd have Mario for a year and next year you'd be back on the boards wanting to trade him for the next big draft prospect.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
mario williams would replace brooks anyways

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I want to "gut" the defense and get draft pick(s) because they would add more LONG TERM potential to the team than Justin Smith could possibly achieve. He helps short term. A draft pick plus a younger FA (like Mario Williams) helps long term.

I'll give you an example of the opposite thinking. The ONLY time I ever though the way you're thinking since I've been posting anything about the Niners back in 2000 was just after the Niners' 2002 playoff loss to the Buccs. I said the Niners have the potential to win it all in 2003, but they have to go balls out & sign a few big FAs. Donahue didn't do that. He re-signed the Niners' players, but he didn't go out and get the pieces necessary to put a championship caliber team together. Hense the Niners missed the playoffs that year. I think if they had a few big FAs on that roster the talent level would've been up there with the best in the league (certainly with the Panthers).

It's all about my view of the Niners' talent level. You obviously think it's a lot higher than I do. But I was saying all season that the Niners didn't have the talent to win it all; and I was right despite them maxing out their potential and getting REALLY lucky against the Saints.

there you go again, always wanting to trade veterans??!! our window is opening and you want to make unnecessary trades for the future?

well the future is now, don't waste it.