• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

I think Gore will be cut

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
He's not going to take a big pay cut (why would he put off being a FA one more year; he wants the 6.54 million or a new contract. Any 31-year-old RB would).

And think about it: They already have 4 RBs under contract. They can either go with Lattimore / Hunter / James & possibly draft a RB they like + sign a starting FS or CB for the amount Gore will be making or they can START a cheap vet' / rookie at FS or CB w/ Gore's 6.54 on the books. I can't see Baalke doing the latter.

I could be wrong, but that's how I see it happening.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's not going to take a big pay cut (why would he put off being a FA one more year; he wants the 6.54 million or a new contract. Any 31-year-old RB would).

And think about it: They already have 4 RBs under contract. They can either go with Lattimore / Hunter / James & possibly draft a RB they like + sign a starting FS or CB for the amount Gore will be making or they can START a cheap vet' / rookie at FS or CB w/ Gore's 6.54 on the books. I can't see Baalke doing the latter.

Sickness, the 49ers have said they dont want to ask Gore for a pay cut. I do think it is a good chance that this is Gore's last year and no contract rework. The problem with our current RBs is both Hunter and James are change of pace backs and neither are a replacement for Gore. Lattimore cam be if he cam return to form after his injury. Hopefully we'll find that out this season.

darken65

Warped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,199.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gore will play this next season. In 2015 he will be a UFA. I'm not sure that the 9ers will keep him unless it is a low price due to age and not production. I will miss him on the field for sure. IMO if any current 9er player deserves a SB ring it is him.

DoobieKeebler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would have agreed with you 2-3 weeks ago, but I'm less inclined to believe Gore will be cut after the recent hubbub over Harbaugh's contract.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cutting gore would be stupid.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's still well worth that money. Cutting him would be a substantial step backwards.

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Is Lattimore ready to carry the load though? Gore isn't worth that cap hit right now, but he may be better than the unknown, at least going in to the season. If Lattimore passes him up from there then I would understand fading him out.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL Gore is not going to get cut. THat is some funny stuff.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wish they would approach him about a pay cut but his response would probably be convert it to signing bonus and add another year to my deal. No thanks. We are gonna need his locker room presence and knowledge for Lattimore this season and then he can retire or play elsewhere next year.
The more alarming one for me is Rogers. They plan on cutting him after June? They gonna look at free agent CBs first to help them decide? Waiting on this really fucks Rogers if he's not on the market at open.

RedneckNiner

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gore won't be cut this year. Niners win the Super Bowl he might go out ala Jerome Bettis. I don't foresee him coming back next year unless he is willing to come back on the cheap. My dream is for him to retire after this season, the Niners draft Gurley next year for the backfield of Gurley, Lattimore and hunter. And trade Lmj for whatever you can get for him even a six pack of PBR would be ample compensation.

whywork2

Archduke of Guacamole
Hoopla Cash
$ 381.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gore is past his prime. I would't be a bit suprised if Lattimore started this year, I heard he was healthy. They probably bring him back but I would't care too much one way or another if I rooted for SF. He did didly squat in the championship game and I think they need much more out of that position. You can't expect Kaepernick to do it all.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gore is past his prime. I would't be a bit suprised if Lattimore started this year, I heard he was healthy. They probably bring him back but I would't care too much one way or another if I rooted for SF. He did didly squat in the championship game and I think they need much more out of that position. You can't expect Kaepernick to do it all.

I wouldnt put it all on Gore as the line blocking had been subpar and teams have been stacking the box.

NinersFan80

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No way Gore will ever be cut by this team unless he says that is what he wants.. Players on this team would be pissed and no way to treat one of your best players in the past 10 years. Come on now.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
No way Gore will ever be cut by this team unless he says that is what he wants.. Players on this team would be pissed and no way to treat one of your best players in the past 10 years. Come on now.

Yeah. There's no way the Niners would cut an integral part of the team. Maybe trade him?

Of course, now we have a coach and GM that know that to win you need to keep your best players until they retire, regardless of whether or not they still help you win.

cc: Roger Craig, Ronnie Lott, Joe Montana, Jerry Rice, Bill Walsh

Last edited by a moderator:

DoobieKeebler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldnt put it all on Gore as the line blocking had been subpar and teams have been stacking the box.

Your second point somewhat explains your first point. It isn't so much that the o-line has been subpar at run blocking as it is that Gore is a between the tackles runner and there isn't much open space for him to gain yards when Harbaugh/Roman have the Niners offense lining up in jumbo packages with 2 TEs AND Looney, Kilgore, or Snyder lining up as an extra big body. Defenses wind up stacking the box against Gore by default.

That being said, regardless of the reason why the run game with Gore sputtered at times, too many times the RB run game was not as effective as it should have been for a team that identifies as run-first, and the problem must be addressed going into next season.

Here are 4 examples of statistically average to below average run defenses SF faced in 2013 and how Gore did in comparison to their per game averages. (note: Defenses are ranked by season total rushing yards allowed)

Packers Rush Defense
Season Rush Yards Allowed: 2,000
Average YPC Allowed: 4.6

Gore's stat line vs GB:
21 Carries
44 Yards
2.09 YPC
-1.51 Below Green Bay Season Average YPC Allowed

Titans Rush Defense
Season Rush Yards Allowed: 1,795
Average YPC Allowed: 4.0

Gore's stat line vs TEN:
24 Carries
70 Yards
2.91 YPC
-1.09 Below Tennessee Season Average YPC Allowed

Saints Rush Defense
Season Rush Yards Allowed: 1,786
Average YPC Allowed: 4.6

Gore's stat line vs NO:
13 Carries
48 Yards
3.59 YPC
-1.01 Below New Orleans Season Average YPC Allowed

Redskins Rush Defense
Season Rush Yards Allowed: 1,769
Average YPC Allowed: 4.0

Gore's stat line vs WAS:
13 Carries
31 Yards
2.38 YPC
-1.62 Below Washington Season Average YPC Allowed

Granted Gore did have a few great games in 2013, but it is frustrating to watch SF get shut down against middling Run defenses.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@#$^@#$^% Frank Gore! ……... Kidding… He's near the end obviously but has had a great career… Something about legs at age 30 that just change… Even great athletes can't avoid it.. Gore was definitely a step slower but still made some good play's last year…