• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

I need an explanation

mannyz

The Real Batman
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Somebody please explain to me how trading a 1st rd pick and something else for an experienced 24 yo CB that has been to the Pro-Bowl is not a better move than drafting someone, most likely, late in the 1st rd, that might not even be a real NFL type of player?

Did everyone see how Rodgers was playing pitch and catch with his receivers that were Maddox's responsibility? I could not get myself to say covered by Maddox. The only covering he did last nite was with a hospital blanket. I hope he is ok.

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah they need to fix this secondary and they need to fix it now!

Sidney Jones I love cause he's a former UW guy but the kid can't stay on the damn field
Maddox :L would get burned in a high school game

If this team is going to make any kind of run they have to address this or they are just going to get carved up!

PhillyGreen

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jim Schwartz scheme needs a shut down corner. He is unable to come up with a play to hide secondary weaknesses.

Roy Munson

Posting with one hand
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trade whatever is necessary to get Ramsey. We need more talent in the secondary.

mall3013

SportsHoopla's #1 Bucknut
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah they need to fix this secondary and they need to fix it now!

Sidney Jones I love cause he's a former UW guy but the kid can't stay on the damn field
Maddox :L would get burned in a high school game

If this team is going to make any kind of run they have to address this or they are just going to get carved up!
I think a lot of the blame needs to go to Schwartz and his scheme as well. I agree with you about the secondary. We need pass rushing badly. Losing Jerrigan and Jackson hurts. Cox is not 100% either.

_phiLLies_

shut up baby, i know it
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL. now most people want to trade for him when it's NOT right. when the timing was, between the end of last season and this summer, most acted like he wasn't worth it or was some disease. hard to avoid these laughable "what the fuck?!" moments here.

jones was supposed to be good, maddox a possible starter and ramsey didn't have any full blown issues playing for the jags. the eagles didn't explore a possible trade or didn't like what they heard, so that was that.

fast forward.. jones and maddox are a horrible combo of injuries, getting burned, shitty tackling and garbage play in general. ramsey got into a shouting match and has become one of the "trade me or i won't play" babies in the league. the jags are putting up a front of demanding a lot, while at the same time acting like they're not trading him.

so NOW people want him? his talent alone would clearly help the secondary, but they are garbage as a whole. there's not enough one man can do to save them. at the same time, this team is horribly old. they need every pick they can get. and they need to hit with these picks. possibly giving up multiple top picks for ramsey is just buying temporary time and creating more problems.

Orlando Eagles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Somebody please explain to me how trading a 1st rd pick and something else for an experienced 24 yo CB that has been to the Pro-Bowl is not a better move than drafting someone, most likely, late in the 1st rd, that might not even be a real NFL type of player?

Did everyone see how Rodgers was playing pitch and catch with his receivers that were Maddox's responsibility? I could not get myself to say covered by Maddox. The only covering he did last nite was with a hospital blanket. I hope he is ok.

Shrugs....I just don’t like the fact that the guy in question is Ramsey. I don’t feel good about him being a teammate. I doubt Schwartz would use a shut down corner right.

All of that leads me to not want to spend the capital. It’s not a 1 and a player. To get Jax to move it has to be at least another 1-2.

What could we get with those picks? That’s a good question. But one thing we could get from using the picks is salary control. Otherwise we are looking at Ramsey possibly leaving within a few years because what he wants to be paid we can’t do.

Also....a trade that works doesn’t just include the capital but possibly/likely giving Ramsey the deal he wants. I’m not sure the Eagles want to pay that.

In all of this I am not saying we don’t need help in the secondary. We so do! But there could be other options. For instance...Chris Harris Jr could possibly be pulled for a 3-4.

Orlando Eagles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another thing I think....we will need to turn over a decent amount of roster the next few years. Thinking about what CB we could get matched against Ramsey is wrong.

What we can do with those picks for the overall roster needs to be strong consideration.

PhillyGreen

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shrugs....I just don’t like the fact that the guy in question is Ramsey. I don’t feel good about him being a teammate. I doubt Schwartz would use a shut down corner right.

All of that leads me to not want to spend the capital. It’s not a 1 and a player. To get Jax to move it has to be at least another 1-2.

What could we get with those picks? That’s a good question. But one thing we could get from using the picks is salary control. Otherwise we are looking at Ramsey possibly leaving within a few years because what he wants to be paid we can’t do.

Also....a trade that works doesn’t just include the capital but possibly/likely giving Ramsey the deal he wants. I’m not sure the Eagles want to pay that.

In all of this I am not saying we don’t need help in the secondary. We so do! But there could be other options. For instance...Chris Harris Jr could possibly be pulled for a 3-4.

To continue with the defensive scheme we have right now a shut down corner is required. As Aikman repeatedly pointed out last night, Schwartz runs a one high safety scheme. It is being exploited by everyone because it leaves someone on an island. You cannot run a scheme like that unless you have a shut down corner. If we have Ramsey on one side and Darby on the other then Schwartz scheme will work. It would probably be very good. The thing is without the right peices he does not know how to properly adjust.

mannyz

The Real Batman
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Aren't the Dolphins having a yard sale? They have a pretty good DB that we might be able to get without giving up the farm. We don't need a superstar, we just need a good CB, it was pretty obvious last nite that we did not.

old duke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's good to see some of you are coming around on Ramsey. I know he is a prima donna, but so is DJAX. See how much we need him? DJAX creates open looks for the other WR's. So, like him, Ramsey basically covers 1/2 of the field. He single handedly blankets the other teams best receiver. He is THE BEST corner is the league -no questions. How else could we get a player like him. Give up the picks, and most any other player it takes to get him, as long as Howie gets the chance to sign him to a long term contract.

Orlando Eagles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To continue with the defensive scheme we have right now a shut down corner is required. As Aikman repeatedly pointed out last night, Schwartz runs a one high safety scheme. It is being exploited by everyone because it leaves someone on an island. You cannot run a scheme like that unless you have a shut down corner. If we have Ramsey on one side and Darby on the other then Schwartz scheme will work. It would probably be very good. The thing is without the right peices he does not know how to properly adjust.

Point taken. I will rescind the argument on scheme fit.

In the calculus of what Ramsey brings to the field, who he is and what he would cost I just do not have the come up with the same rosy answer as many. I will own it.

Orlando Eagles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Aren't the Dolphins having a yard sale? They have a pretty good DB that we might be able to get without giving up the farm. We don't need a superstar, we just need a good CB, it was pretty obvious last nite that we did not.

This!

Orlando Eagles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's good to see some of you are coming around on Ramsey. I know he is a prima donna, but so is DJAX. See how much we need him? DJAX creates open looks for the other WR's. So, like him, Ramsey basically covers 1/2 of the field. He single handedly blankets the other teams best receiver. He is THE BEST corner is the league -no questions. How else could we get a player like him. Give up the picks, and most any other player it takes to get him, as long as Howie gets the chance to sign him to a long term contract.

They are not even in the same zip code at this point, IMO

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think a lot of the blame needs to go to Schwartz and his scheme as well. I agree with you about the secondary. We need pass rushing badly. Losing Jerrigan and Jackson hurts. Cox is not 100% either.

100% agree that the pass rush is terrible and of course would help camouflage the lack of talent on the back end

Orlando Eagles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reports out there that they brought Scandrick back. That in no way precludes them from getting someone like Ramsey.

But it was an expected type of move I saw them doing if nothing else could pan out. Let’s call it a very minimal option B.

old duke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is a stopgap move, as they only had Douglas, and James healthy. I expect Howie to trade for Ramsey within the next few days. It only makes sense. There are other trade options, but for a contending team, why not get a star instead of just a warm body?

Orlando Eagles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is a stopgap move, as they only had Douglas, and James healthy. I expect Howie to trade for Ramsey within the next few days. It only makes sense. There are other trade options, but for a contending team, why not get a star instead of just a warm body?

Well said. I will agree on stopgap/Plan B based on however this goes down.

I guess a thing that sticks for me is yes, we are a contending team. But we are not a contending team with just one glaring need. There are more than one. And there is a salary cap.

I would be very interested to see what is going on behind the scenes right now. However this goes down it would be interesting to see that story someday. I think Howie is staying close and looking for them to come down on offer, and the Jags feel totally in the drivers seat and just waiting for a team like us to crack and make the crazy reach for him.

Rey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At minimum I would give up a 1st and a 2nd for Ramsey … You're getting arguably the best Corner in the league in his prime. Draft picks are crap shoots … especially in the 20's where we are likely going to be picking. What are the chances of drafting a player in the 20's to be a top 5 player at his position at any point in his first 3-5 seasons? 5% chance maybe? Isn't driving those odds up to being 100% worth a 2nd rounder? How many 1st round picks have we had in the past 40 years been actually worth that 1st round pick? Wentz, Lane Johnson, Fletcher Cox, William Thomas, Brandon Graham and McNabb; "maybe" Lito Sheppard and Corey Simon. That's 8 1st round draft picks in the last 40 years that ended up being worth that 1st round investment … how many of those can you say were top 5 at their position at some point in their first 3 seasons? You can argue 3 or 4? How many of those 8 players were drafted "after" pick 20? I'll tell you … ONE! Lito Sheppard is the only player drafted in the 1st rd after pick 20 for the Eagles who's actually given us back first round investment. To me it's a no brainer to give up a 1st and a 2nd for a sure thing like Ramsey in his prime at the biggest need position on this team!

old duke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Very good points, Rey. I may be crazy, but I will go two #1s, and throw in a player (not a starter) if needed. the reality is we are desperate for a solid corner, and Ramsey is THE BEST in the NFL. with the picks, I doubt if any of them will be come stars, and we know that star players help win championships. Ramsey is not a rookie, or just a solid player. He is blue chip, and barring injuries, will be all-pro for the next 8-10 years!