• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

I like how Anthony Davis has played the last 3 games

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, your "rant," if you really want to call it that, is high-horse self-righteous BS when *you* don't know how *you* would react under the same exact conditions. That's the attribution error. People think they know how they'd act, but in reality, they really don't.

Why don't you tell us how you're still foaming in the mouth when Vernon Davis acted like a primma donna early in his career.

Wow, that was so enlightening! Same EXACT conditions! Wonderful. Explain to me how ANY of these players function from day to day given that NO football game is the SAME EXACT CONDITIONS? How can ANY of our bosses be able to put rules in place in order to corral us if they can't predict that our days wouldn't be EXACTLY the way they would expect. I could forge gov't documents even though it was frowned upon yet I could always claim that my behavior was warranted because my boss had no idea how they would handle the EXACT SAME SITUATION.

I gave an example of a similar situation in comparison. You amazingly discounted that completely, instead holding your attribution error explanation, if you want to call it that, tight in hopes of being able to charm readers with some bullshit wikipedia entry. You fail to explain how the hole in the attribution error social psychology explanation doesn't account for the fact that it is so difficult in life to replicate EXACT situations.

If Ant Davis wants to privately wants to spew whatever hate towards the Lions to himself or his teammates, fine. PUBLICLY, however, is where there is an expectation of professionalism, no matter how old the player. It is like that at ANY job. Stop with the douchiosity and use rhetorical discourse as opposed to your very own high horsed, condescending bullshit.

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Regarding VD, was ANYONE really all that upset with Sing sending him off the field given how he was acting up to that point? I was at that game and there were 50,000 people applauding it as he left.

RobertPhD01

49er Faithful Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Davis is still learning his position and engaging his opponents with some more nastiness than he did last year. Still needs to learn to wait for the ball to be snapped, but also continue to work on the first step /setup on the pass blocking! Go 49ers!!

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Davis is still learning his position and engaging his opponents with some more nastiness than he did last year. Still needs to learn to wait for the ball to be snapped, but also continue to work on the first step /setup on the pass blocking! Go 49ers!!

while i get the gist, wonder if "learning" is the right description? he started playing last season where he got the "speed of the game". its now six games in so he should have the new scheme down?

but you're right, he's still relatively young and might still be making the turn. by the end of this year, we'd expect him to be better and hence comfortable with his game. once comfortable he SHOULD stay with the snap count and not allowing the rusher to bother him?

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
davis just lacks the quickness to play on the outside. he can be a pro bowl guard, and hopefully the front office sees it as welll

EaseUrStorm

Chief Imagination Officer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
On an unrelated note - if someone put the troll hammer down on adjustingroutes, that was probably a good call.

RobertPhD01

49er Faithful Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
while i get the gist, wonder if "learning" is the right description? he started playing last season where he got the "speed of the game". its now six games in so he should have the new scheme down?

but you're right, he's still relatively young and might still be making the turn. by the end of this year, we'd expect him to be better and hence comfortable with his game. once comfortable he SHOULD stay with the snap count and not allowing the rusher to bother him?

Offensive Tackle is the 2nd hardest position to learn for a rookie. Davis is in his 2nd year with a new coach and a new system. The results are improving with time. :roll:

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Wow, that was so enlightening! Same EXACT conditions! Wonderful. Explain to me how ANY of these players function from day to day given that NO football game is the SAME EXACT CONDITIONS? How can ANY of our bosses be able to put rules in place in order to corral us if they can't predict that our days wouldn't be EXACTLY the way they would expect. I could forge gov't documents even though it was frowned upon yet I could always claim that my behavior was warranted because my boss had no idea how they would handle the EXACT SAME SITUATION.

I gave an example of a similar situation in comparison. You amazingly discounted that completely, instead holding your attribution error explanation, if you want to call it that, tight in hopes of being able to charm readers with some bullshit wikipedia entry. You fail to explain how the hole in the attribution error social psychology explanation doesn't account for the fact that it is so difficult in life to replicate EXACT situations.

If Ant Davis wants to privately wants to spew whatever hate towards the Lions to himself or his teammates, fine. PUBLICLY, however, is where there is an expectation of professionalism, no matter how old the player. It is like that at ANY job. Stop with the douchiosity and use rhetorical discourse as opposed to your very own high horsed, condescending bullshit.

Fine, you don't understand the attribution error - that's okay, I didn't expect you to, but I thought the second paragraph was easy enough to comprehend. I was wrong, I apologize.

The issue isn't whether or not Davis' behavior is excusable. The issue is how your observations and conclusions are formulaic and generic. I'd like for you to show me a link to how realistic that world actually is...and don't you dare link wiki articles! You're just oozing with validation, I wouldn't want you to stop while you're ahead!

I'm curious. Where were was your rhetoric during the Harbaugh handshake? Nevermind the fact that the players loved it, I guess we can clump them together as unprofessional douchebags as well. Would you prefer a Hall of Famer? How about Steve Young in 1994 cussing out Seifert behind the sidelines on national TV? Riddle me that. An employer cussing out his boss that managed to keep his job for the rest of his career. In the same era you want the 9ers to be modeled under! This is too easy.

And yet... You chose to rant about a dumb twitter message that ended up being taken down anyway. People like you are hilarious, because they somehow live in a perfect world and conveniently scramble to justify it without objections - even if it's not under the same conditions. Funny how that works.

In your case, it's the good 'ol "if I did it in Water Polo, why can't he! Validate meee! Whaah!" - Do you understand how stupid you sound now? Stop foaming at the mouth and see it for what it is: A kid caught up in the moment. He'll probably grow out of that crap; most people do, some don't. But evidently, you can't.

Last edited by a moderator:

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
siefert deserved it, everyone including siefert knew it

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Offensive Tackle is the 2nd hardest position to learn for a rookie. Davis is in his 2nd year with a new coach and a new system. The results are improving with time. :roll:

i get the new coach and new system part, as such not saying Davis has stopped learning 100%. am saying he should have learned most (>50%) of what he's going to learn by now. from here on its more executing what he's learned over "he needs to learn".

is OT the 2nd hardest position to learn, don't know and really asking? they do have to get in sync with others on the line, REALLY in sync. so in that sense i might believe it? but for individual positions, the more you have to execute, i would think the harder to learn?

a WR has to get his routes correct, timing right, read D's a little, block correctly, and of course catch.

an OLB has to learn pass rushing techniques, run stopping, and some coverage?

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok, so Young ranting over Seifert pulling him from the game was done on National TV. At that time, it was uncalled for, yet I had a lesser problem with that because it was in the heat of the moment, yet NOT brought to the media in the same form. As a matter of fact, IIRC, when asked about it, Young didn't offer much in terms of an explanation publicly, but rather kept it in-house. Davis is a totally different story. If Davis wanted to talk shit during the game to those DL of the Lions, I would have been completely fine by that....because it happened within the game. Davis then going to twitter is my problem. You keep those comments from hitting the media so you don't like a fool while keeping in line with what the team's expectations are. Is that so hard to digest?

Harbaugh's behavior was nothing that was brought to the media where they could pin him on being unsportsmanlike. Does anyone know what he said? What about his overexuberant handshake and pat on the back that was so terrible? He went up to the podium and gave a half-assed apology to something he didn't necessarily have to apologize about. "Sorry for being excited for a big win, my bad for the handshake." There was no "but he said this" or "but he did that" attached to it in reference to Schwartz. He owned his part and moved on. Schwartz OTOH decided to keep harping on it and looked the fool because of it, even after chasing after him on the field. Harbaugh let what happened on the field stay on the field and muted people with his generic response.

You can hide behind wiki-theories all you want. You can go ahead and attack my understanding of whatever attribution errors you want to continue to dish out. There is no justification for what Davis decided to do. As a matter of fact, if Davis followed his twitter posts with a formal "my bad", I would have taken that as lesson learned and move on. Stop making excuses. It's about accountability and ownership of one's actions. That is not some formulaic or generic world, that IS everyday life. People can decide to own up to mistakes or not. If I decide to pull some bullshit move and break a guy's nose intentionally in a water polo game, I put myself and my teammates at risk of retaliation of the other team. If Davis spouts off about Suh as being overrated and starts jawing with the rest of their DL after the dirty battle they just had via twitter, then he also puts his teammates potentially in harm's way. You can laugh all you want about my situation or the points I am making all you want, but the ramifications of such actions are as real as it gets.

Lastly, you continue trying to insult my intelligence with underhanded comments and condescending views of who I am without any knowledge of me past my posts. I am speaking on a player's actions, not their intelligence or character. You are just being an ass. I don't mind having an argument over what you or I feel is right or wrong, in-game, after the game, whatever. But the fact that you continue trying to attack me is laughable. I'm sure you will follow this with some sort of condescending post once again attacking my intelligence, which is why as of now, I am done with you. If you want to actually discuss topics in a civil manner, go ahead and I will reciprocate in kind. If you want to go ahead and continue to attack me, feel free as well. Like Davis, you have that right...the question is, is it the proper thing to do? My answer is in my formulaic and generic world, is probably not.

RobertPhD01

49er Faithful Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
i get the new coach and new system part, as such not saying Davis has stopped learning 100%. am saying he should have learned most (>50%) of what he's going to learn by now. from here on its more executing what he's learned over "he needs to learn".

is OT the 2nd hardest position to learn, don't know and really asking? they do have to get in sync with others on the line, REALLY in sync. so in that sense i might believe it? but for individual positions, the more you have to execute, i would think the harder to learn?

a WR has to get his routes correct, timing right, read D's a little, block correctly, and of course catch.

an OLB has to learn pass rushing techniques, run stopping, and some coverage?

Rookies in for harsh season

By Jason Cole, Yahoo! Sports
Sep 6, 2:28 am EDT

Season previews: Cam Newton’s freshman orientation Coaching Philosophy 101

It didn’t take much for St. Louis Rams rookie tight end Lance Kendricks(notes) to realize that Jacksonville Jaguars safety Courtney Greene(notes) suffered a severe brain cramp on Thursday night in Jacksonville.

As Kendricks ran his blitz read, taking off on a slight angle to the right of the Rams’ offense, he caught Greene looking in the backfield, perhaps wondering how the blitz would turn out.

More From Jason ColeTebow's late mastery covers up early blemishes Oct 23, 2011 Mission impossible: Duplicating Super Bowl success Oct 21, 2011

Lance Kendricks scores against the Jaguars.

(AP)

Greene received a rude answer as St. Louis quarterback Sam Bradford(notes) lobbed a pass over Greene’s head into the wide-open arms of a galloping Kendricks. The tight end took the short throw and turned it into a 44-yard touchdown in the first quarter of the exhibition finale.

“The guy just blew the coverage,” Kendricks said, shrugging his shoulders as he tried not to take too much credit. “I don’t think he was supposed to do that.”

The odd part is that as the NFL counts down to the start of the season, more often than not people are going to be saying that about guys like Kendricks. Around the league, it appears that rookies will once again take up their usual number of spots on the rosters despite predictions to the contrary. Many observers of the league thought large numbers of veterans would be kept over rookies because of the lockout-shortened offseason.

But it’s not like those rookies are going to be trusted right away.

“I think it’s going to be really hard to put some of those guys out there in the first half of the season,” Steelers general manager Kevin Colbert said. “It’s pretty simple; they’re not going to have enough reps for the coaches to trust them. It’s going to be a long process.”

With that in mind, here’s a look at how rookies at different positions figure to suffer, in order of difficulty, from an unusual offseason that was thrown off kilter because of the league’s labor strife:

Cam Newton was the No. 1 overall pick.

(AP)

• Quarterbacks – This one is obvious as 11 executives and coaches unanimously agreed. With more to learn and less time to do it, expect any rookie quarterback to suffer a lot this season.

“I feel bad for [No. 1 overall pick] Cam [Newton] because they just don’t have a choice,” Jacksonville running back Maurice Jones-Drew(notes) said, referring to Carolina’s starter. “They don’t have a veteran like Matt Moore(notes) on the roster who they can put out there while Cam learns the offense and learns the speed of the game. All the guys on their roster are young, so it doesn’t matter who plays.

“I think Cam, from what I see, has the confidence to handle it. Physically, he can take some hits and run around to make some plays. But he’s special that way. You just hope he doesn’t get one of those really bad blindside shots where all of a sudden he starts thinking about when he’s going to get hit next.”

That’s a major concern in Cincinnati, where Bengals rookie Andy Dalton(notes) is slated to start. This week, Bengals sources have leaked their hope that veteran Carson Palmer(notes) returns. Those close to Palmer say that’s not happening. The underlying message in all of this is that the Bengals are concerned about Dalton.

Browns rookie offensive tackle Jason Pinkston(notes) blocks as Colt McCoy(notes), left, drops back during practice.

(AP)

• Offensive line – Browns president and former NFL coach Mike Holmgren was direct in his feelings about what position would suffer most after quarterbacks.

“So much has to be learned up front with those guys that it’s really hard for an offensive lineman to just walk in and play,” Holmgren said. “You can do it at left tackle more than most positions because that spot is more about physical ability. The left tackle is usually in a one-on-one matchup with the best pass rusher, so it’s pretty easy to know. But it’s still about learning to read what’s going on and then read the same thing as the guys who line up next to you. Offensive line play is about pretty intricate teamwork.”

Buccaneers general manager Mark Dominik agreed, putting an emphasis on centers. “The old theory is that it’s that vertical line starting at the ball in the center of the field,” Dominik said. “The smartest guys have to generally be the quarterback and the center on your offense and then the middle linebacker through the safeties on defense. They have the most to learn and the most to communicate. They have to let everybody else know what’s going on.”

Coaches and players around the league fear that mistakes up front could prove devastating.

“If we have to play two rookies from the start of the season, our quarterback is going to get killed,” a player with one AFC team said. “I know what we’re going to see coming against those guys when the defense really gears up. The rookies we have right now, they’re treading water trying to learn the basics. If they have to play 60 or 70 plays a week for four straight weeks, it’s going to get ugly. Really ugly.”

Rams coach Steve Spagnuolo points to rookie linebackers and secondaries as the most to potentially suffer in 2011.

(Getty Images)

• Linebackers and secondary – Rams head coach Steve Spagnuolo, a former defensive coordinator for the Giants, put in his vote for the “back seven” players on defense, including the linebackers and secondary.

“Playing defense is reactive, so you have to see a lot of things before you really understand how to deal with it,” Spagnuolo said. “On offense, you’re the one making the decision on what the play is going to be and the defense has to adjust. The farther you are from the line of scrimmage, the more you have to react to and understand, so I think it’s really tough on the guys in the secondary. If you make one little mistake, it’s over.”

(The play by Greene, who is in his third season, is a prime example of what Spagnuolo is talking about. That play destroyed what had been a solid defensive first half for Jacksonville.)

Of course, that goes against traditional thinking regarding cornerbacks. Most people in and around the NFL consider cornerback on par with running back as being one of the simplest positions to play.

“I think that was some of the thinking and it’s probably still true in most cases. You can line somebody up at cornerback, put them in man coverage and keep it pretty straight forward,” Packers general manager Ted Thompson said. “But that makes you pretty susceptible to some things on defense. Eventually, you have to get more sophisticated with all the different coverage schemes.”

The Bengals’ A.J. Green(notes) was the first receiver selected in 2011 (fourth overall).

(AP)

• Wide receivers – As the NFL has become more pass happy, wide receiver has become an even more difficult position to play.

“It’s not just about being on page with the quarterback, which you better have coverage,” St. Louis general manager Billy Devaney said. “With the way coverages change from pre-snap to at-the-snap to post-snap, there’s a lot that the receiver has to recognize very quickly. Even with the first-round guys, as talented as they might be, you see a lot of them really struggle getting comfortable and being able to play at full speed.”

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Rookies in for harsh season

By Jason Cole, Yahoo! Sports
Sep 6, 2:28 am EDT

Season previews: Cam Newton’s freshman orientation Coaching Philosophy 101

It didn’t take much for St. Louis Rams rookie tight end Lance Kendricks(notes) to realize that Jacksonville Jaguars safety Courtney Greene(notes) suffered a severe brain cramp on Thursday night in Jacksonville.

As Kendricks ran his blitz read, taking off on a slight angle to the right of the Rams’ offense, he caught Greene looking in the backfield, perhaps wondering how the blitz would turn out.

More From Jason ColeTebow's late mastery covers up early blemishes Oct 23, 2011 Mission impossible: Duplicating Super Bowl success Oct 21, 2011

Lance Kendricks scores against the Jaguars.

(AP)

Greene received a rude answer as St. Louis quarterback Sam Bradford(notes) lobbed a pass over Greene’s head into the wide-open arms of a galloping Kendricks. The tight end took the short throw and turned it into a 44-yard touchdown in the first quarter of the exhibition finale.

“The guy just blew the coverage,” Kendricks said, shrugging his shoulders as he tried not to take too much credit. “I don’t think he was supposed to do that.”

The odd part is that as the NFL counts down to the start of the season, more often than not people are going to be saying that about guys like Kendricks. Around the league, it appears that rookies will once again take up their usual number of spots on the rosters despite predictions to the contrary. Many observers of the league thought large numbers of veterans would be kept over rookies because of the lockout-shortened offseason.

But it’s not like those rookies are going to be trusted right away.

“I think it’s going to be really hard to put some of those guys out there in the first half of the season,” Steelers general manager Kevin Colbert said. “It’s pretty simple; they’re not going to have enough reps for the coaches to trust them. It’s going to be a long process.”

With that in mind, here’s a look at how rookies at different positions figure to suffer, in order of difficulty, from an unusual offseason that was thrown off kilter because of the league’s labor strife:

Cam Newton was the No. 1 overall pick.

(AP)

• Quarterbacks – This one is obvious as 11 executives and coaches unanimously agreed. With more to learn and less time to do it, expect any rookie quarterback to suffer a lot this season.

“I feel bad for [No. 1 overall pick] Cam [Newton] because they just don’t have a choice,” Jacksonville running back Maurice Jones-Drew(notes) said, referring to Carolina’s starter. “They don’t have a veteran like Matt Moore(notes) on the roster who they can put out there while Cam learns the offense and learns the speed of the game. All the guys on their roster are young, so it doesn’t matter who plays.

“I think Cam, from what I see, has the confidence to handle it. Physically, he can take some hits and run around to make some plays. But he’s special that way. You just hope he doesn’t get one of those really bad blindside shots where all of a sudden he starts thinking about when he’s going to get hit next.”

That’s a major concern in Cincinnati, where Bengals rookie Andy Dalton(notes) is slated to start. This week, Bengals sources have leaked their hope that veteran Carson Palmer(notes) returns. Those close to Palmer say that’s not happening. The underlying message in all of this is that the Bengals are concerned about Dalton.

Browns rookie offensive tackle Jason Pinkston(notes) blocks as Colt McCoy(notes), left, drops back during practice.

(AP)

• Offensive line – Browns president and former NFL coach Mike Holmgren was direct in his feelings about what position would suffer most after quarterbacks.

“So much has to be learned up front with those guys that it’s really hard for an offensive lineman to just walk in and play,” Holmgren said. “You can do it at left tackle more than most positions because that spot is more about physical ability. The left tackle is usually in a one-on-one matchup with the best pass rusher, so it’s pretty easy to know. But it’s still about learning to read what’s going on and then read the same thing as the guys who line up next to you. Offensive line play is about pretty intricate teamwork.”

Buccaneers general manager Mark Dominik agreed, putting an emphasis on centers. “The old theory is that it’s that vertical line starting at the ball in the center of the field,” Dominik said. “The smartest guys have to generally be the quarterback and the center on your offense and then the middle linebacker through the safeties on defense. They have the most to learn and the most to communicate. They have to let everybody else know what’s going on.”

Coaches and players around the league fear that mistakes up front could prove devastating.

“If we have to play two rookies from the start of the season, our quarterback is going to get killed,” a player with one AFC team said. “I know what we’re going to see coming against those guys when the defense really gears up. The rookies we have right now, they’re treading water trying to learn the basics. If they have to play 60 or 70 plays a week for four straight weeks, it’s going to get ugly. Really ugly.”

Rams coach Steve Spagnuolo points to rookie linebackers and secondaries as the most to potentially suffer in 2011.

(Getty Images)

• Linebackers and secondary – Rams head coach Steve Spagnuolo, a former defensive coordinator for the Giants, put in his vote for the “back seven” players on defense, including the linebackers and secondary.

“Playing defense is reactive, so you have to see a lot of things before you really understand how to deal with it,” Spagnuolo said. “On offense, you’re the one making the decision on what the play is going to be and the defense has to adjust. The farther you are from the line of scrimmage, the more you have to react to and understand, so I think it’s really tough on the guys in the secondary. If you make one little mistake, it’s over.”

(The play by Greene, who is in his third season, is a prime example of what Spagnuolo is talking about. That play destroyed what had been a solid defensive first half for Jacksonville.)

Of course, that goes against traditional thinking regarding cornerbacks. Most people in and around the NFL consider cornerback on par with running back as being one of the simplest positions to play.

“I think that was some of the thinking and it’s probably still true in most cases. You can line somebody up at cornerback, put them in man coverage and keep it pretty straight forward,” Packers general manager Ted Thompson said. “But that makes you pretty susceptible to some things on defense. Eventually, you have to get more sophisticated with all the different coverage schemes.”

The Bengals’ A.J. Green(notes) was the first receiver selected in 2011 (fourth overall).

(AP)

• Wide receivers – As the NFL has become more pass happy, wide receiver has become an even more difficult position to play.

“It’s not just about being on page with the quarterback, which you better have coverage,” St. Louis general manager Billy Devaney said. “With the way coverages change from pre-snap to at-the-snap to post-snap, there’s a lot that the receiver has to recognize very quickly. Even with the first-round guys, as talented as they might be, you see a lot of them really struggle getting comfortable and being able to play at full speed.”

ok, so there's no one "prevailing" position? for individual spots looks like several possibilities after QB?

yeah, as far as gelling with the guy next to you....REALLY working as a unit as noted in the excerpts above, must be offensive linemen?

RobertPhD01

49er Faithful Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Kind of subjective, Whom you are playing next to, whom is coaching you, what type of scheme, and your ability + confidence make differences in your success!:roll:

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Ok, so Young ranting over Seifert pulling him from the game was done on National TV. At that time, it was uncalled for, yet I had a lesser problem with that because it was in the heat of the moment, yet NOT brought to the media in the same form.

It was "uncalled for" but there was nothing unprofessional about Steve Young cussing out his boss on national TV? I suppose in the "heat of the moment," Suh talking shit to an injured player is quite alright since it's all in the moment. Oh yeah, and while on the subject of "moments," Jim Harbaugh got plenty of backlash for his handshake. Far more than a stupid tweet did. No one cares about a second year lineman, but a head coach? Yes because it attracts the media. NFL network, ESPN, blogs all over redirecting what many consider to be "unprofessional." A former player now head coach, you'd think he have a little more "professionalism" - but no, you're perfectly fine with that...but...

...you flip out on stupid tweets already deleted by Anthony Davis, whom, I might add, is only a second year pro, has a mere 7,303 followers and has only made 203 tweets since his account was opened. Two hundred and three tweets; that's like a grain in the desert to the average trigger-happy tweeter.

I suspect that it's the Twitter medium that has you flying off the walls, and if that's the case, I'd have no problem with that. But you didn't mention that in your original post. Heck, I'd even have no problem if your motives for your rants on Davis were stereotypically inclined. I can respect honesty even if the motive is misguided.

But no, you took on a high-horse approach on something that was less damaging than what has been done in previous instances. What's worse, you keep shifting your goal post to mask your transparency under the disguise of "unprofessionalism" - which is a load of bullshit. You're not convincing anyone with that compared to the above. If you cuss out your boss over a disagreement, you lose your job, end of.

So why don't you go back and try reshifting your goal post again to something that actually makes sense? I'm not insulting your intelligence, I'm insulting your reasoning - two completely different things. I am interested in why your bias is directed towards Davis and the *reasoning* for that bias.

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ah, finally an argument without having to insult me. Ok, I'll bite. What Young did was absolutely uncalled for, yet it was for the Niner organization to deal with. They dealt with it in kind. Because of his abilities, he was allowed to continue, but once again, that was the decision for the Niners to make. Suh standing over ANOTHER TEAM'S player talking trash is a bit different in that it involves more then just the Lions organization, but the Falcons organization as well. That isn't just handled by the Lions. Now that NFL must butt in. Harbaugh owned up to what he did, apologized for it, and we move on. He didn't continue to talk trash past the game, didn't try to initiate an argument online like Davis did after the fact with Suh and Anvil via twitter. He may have been "unprofessional" in his overexuberance, but it ENDED on the field. It didn't carry over beyond that. The media will go ahead and disect everything that goes on in the field, regardless of what you do. Look at the current Lions/Falcons game. The problem I have with that game is the Falcons OL bitching about the dirtiness of the Lions DL and the Lions DL responding by calling the Falcons OL cheap shot artists AFTER the game. The game is done. Let it go.

You call it my high horse approach, I call it taking the high road. If Suh is baiting him via tweet or even on the field, say your piece on the field, but when asked about a player on a team you just played, that's where players should be playing the cliche game.

Reporter: What was going on out there between you and Suh. It looked pretty chippy.

Davis: Football's a physical game and Suh is a great player. It was just a matter of two aggressive players playing hard and sometimes emotions boil over.

Game. Set. Match. And more importantly, Davis has him on the scoreboard, so there is really no reason to continue with the bullshit.

The examples that you have constantly been using have been IN GAME examples, whereas VD, Gore, and Ant. Davis' comments have all come after the game, something totally different IMO. Yes, there are quite a bit of difference between what is done on the field vs. what is said and done off of it.

I am not the tweeting type, but I do understand the power of twitter and know the ramifications of what COULD be. I don't care if its 203 tweets or 2,000,003 tweets, it's the action of what was said. 7,303 is misleading because it can be multiplied depending on who is taking notice, who comments, etc. So although those numbers seem harmless, I don't like our team to be giving any sort of bulletin board material to anyone, nor do I think commenting on an opponent publicly in a negative fashion is appropriate or professional of him.

Explain what you mean by "stereotypically inclined". I have my idea of what you mean but given what I think it means, I don't want to assume...so please, explain what that phrase means to you and I will respond.

This was my original post that you were so up in arms about.
My issue with Davis...and Gore and VD is that there is too much commentary on the team we are playing after we play them. I love that our team has some fire to it, but when it comes to allowing the rest of the world to know it is the prob:lem. Look at the Niner teams of the 80's and 90's and it was taken much like the Patriots. We had nastiness on the field but humbleness off it. Going back to Bellichek, the Pats don't say ANYTHING outside of the usual cliches. I would LOVE for our team to be the same. Jim Harbaugh is a "close to the vest" coach, where he speaks in generalities and doesn't give away ANYTHING. Our team needs to stop commenting on other teams and leave their feelings, emotions, and words on the field.

How have I changed my "goal posts" as you like to put it? I have been consistent in the fact that I have a problem with our players commenting on other teams in a negative way. I mentioned Gore and VD as well, because they commented on the other teams in interviews after the game, similar to what Ant Davis did, only in a formal interview. Ant Davis got my wrath because he was the third guy in consecutive weeks to put it out in the media his feelings towards the other team. I really don't understand your beef with that statement.

Southern9er

Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Gotta love pretentious fans with their nose in the air telling NFL players how to act.

Wow...Hello Pot, this is the Kettle, how you doing? Your answer portends you to be a hypocrit.

I like professionals. I know professionalism and that ain't it. Why is it so hard to play your best game and keep your mouth shut? AD is a fucking "BOOT" and that is the problem, same with Culliver. If Justin Smith, Soapaga, Willis, McDonald, Gore, VD, Walker, Staley were doing it...I got no problem. AD and Culliver have little credibility, while they played a good couple of games their noses are still wet and sometimes they don't know which way is up stream.

Humble...and humility seem to be long forgotten virtues...Harris Barton/Bubba Paris et al would not have opened their mouth like that...yet they would have a lot more to say and a lot more credibility...

you like sheep? :hdn:

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
What Young did was absolutely uncalled for...

And unprofessional - end of story. Do you see the problem here? Your are willing to bypass unprofessional behavior (Young, Harbaugh) at the drop of a hat while at the same time willing to denounce unprofessional behavior (Davis) that had LESS consequential repercussions of the same behavior. Your bias makes your argument an inherent contradiction and thus erroneous based on the aforementioned attributions. There is no ambiguity about acting unprofessionally. None whatsoever. Yet you seem to want to define your bias with things like "unprofessionalism" or "on-field / off-field" or keeping things "in-house" within the media - whatever all that means. If you haven't already noticed, that's the goal post constantly changing to re-define your parameters.
I am not the tweeting type...

but...

I do understand the power of twitter and know the ramifications of what COULD be.

No you don't.

I dare you to ask me how I know that. There is a big difference between someone having 7K+ followers and tweeting lots of message than someone having 7K+ followers and tweeting a small amount of messages. Most of those followers are probably a mix of fans and beat writing vultures looking for scraps of gossip to perpetuate their shitty writing standards by making juvenile tweets like "teabagged Lions!" a worthy read. Of course there's an audience for all that, mostly for suckers who think that's actually good journalism.

Not caring whether it's 203 vs 203,000,000 shows complete ignorance. It's all about the rate of tweets. You also don't recognize that Davis taking down tweets is a good thing and less damaging in the long run. No one will give a shit about a removed tweet years from now. It's like asking a prostitute to remember the name, time, and person she serviced 7 years ago - who the hell is going to care other than people who love to make it a big deal? Writers sniffing around tweets are simply trying to transmute shit in to gold, except that whatever they muster out of all that is still shit anyway. This this is where you draw your "unprofessionalism" from? Weird...

In addition, even if Davis had no twitter account, it probably wouldn't stop reporters wanting inside scoops and using "anonymous source" as a basis for articles, thus making bad press almost inevitable. If that was the case, you'd have no idea if it was Davis or anyone else on the team talking smack about players on different teams. But with Twitter, you do, therefore making your reaction to the "unprofessional" behavior along with your contradictions and bias less about Davis and more on what could possibly be less interesting inclinations.

Which leads us to the grand finale...

Explain what you mean by "stereotypically inclined".

I would insult your intelligence if I thought you didn't know what I meant by that statement. However, you've run out of options to explain yourself, and you've run out of field to keep moving your goal post. You haven't even addressed the basis of the argument, you have merely danced around it with artificial justifications. I don't think you even believe in half the things you're talking about. "Off-field / on-field difference in professionalism? In-house talk as opposed to out-house"? Give me a break. Game over man, game over.

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You still haven't answered my question. Please explain what you mean by "stereotypically inclined". You wrote it. Explain it.

What I find funny is that you speak of attribution error, in not knowing what a particular player is going through in a given moment or circumstance as a means of justifying his behavior...then go and wrap "professionalism in sports", which is what we have been arguing over, all in one nice neat little package. Sounds hypocritical to me but do as you wish.

I did not condone or justify what Young did, just point out that it happened on the field, it was addressed by the Niners after the game, and we move on. Davis' tweet was an example of off-field stupidity from a professional athlete that was completely unnecessary. Again, you want to turn this into something it is not....so I will spell out my stance for you one last time.

I want our players to STFU about past opponents after the game is over. The game's done. Move on. Stuff happens during the game. That is where your attribution error ACTUALLY applies because we are talking about heat of the moment REACTIONS, not calculated (or not) tweets AFTER a game has been over for a few hours. As Southern said, humility is a lost virtue...and frankly, I'd like to see a resurgence. Regardless of what you may think, my position hasn't changed.