• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

I know I will get Criticized but.....

Is Jeter Overrated??

• Total voters

Mistaken4193

REGISTERED GUMP!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 142.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Derek Jeter is one of the most overrated Players of all time IMO. He was an OK player with Great Intangibles IMO.

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Second only to Cal Ripken as the most overrated baseball player in the history of baseball. Jeter spends his career in Baltimore and we barely know his name.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I certainly think he is a bit of a compiler, but he is still one of the greatest players to ever play. His defense left... um... a lot to be desired, however.

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, please...do go on

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
depending on your definition of over-rated, yes...

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Derek Jeter is one of the most overrated Players of all time IMO. He was an OK player with Great Intangibles IMO.

I think you'd have a hard time making a case that he's not one of the top 10 shortstops of all time. That combined with his intangibles, success on the field, and reputation off the field leads me to believe it would be pretty hard to overrate him.

I hate the Yankees, but it's my opinion that if you think Jeter is overrated, it's just sour grapes.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Derek Jeter's biggest problem with this over-rated discussion, and why he is seen to be over-rated, is because he was too consisitent... He didn't really have a great peak compared to the rest of his career...

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Second only to Cal Ripken as the most overrated baseball player in the history of baseball. Jeter spends his career in Baltimore and we barely know his name.

Conversely, if Jeter or Ripken had been Padres, I suspect your opinion of them would be vastly different.

Anyway, these two both are arguably in the top 5 SS's of all time. Seems like it would be pretty hard to overrate them.

I guess what I would ask is in your opinion how are they rated, and where do you think they should be rated.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Derek Jeter's biggest problem with this over-rated discussion, and why he is seen to be over-rated, is because he was too consisitent... He didn't really have a great peak compared to the rest of his career...

My biggest problem with calling him overrated is that the list of teams that wouldn't take him over their all-time best SS is a short one.

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Conversely, if Jeter or Ripken had been Padres, I suspect your opinion of them would be vastly different.

Which has literally nothing to do with the question. But nice troll attempt anyway. Amateurish, but nice.

StanMarsh51

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Seems like you're not making the distinction between being overrated and overexposed.

To call him overrated would suggest that people are ranking him as a better player than he actually was....where exactly do you see people ranking Jeter that makes him overrated? Are many saying he's the best shortstop of all-time or something?

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't doubt the guy played his hardest at all times and was very consistent throughout his career, but he benefitted from playing on one of the most dynastic franchises in baseball history and his own rep is a bit exaggerated as a result.

"Ground ball up the middle, PAST a diving Jeter!" became a cliche in New York. Why was he always diving at ground balls that were just out of his reach? Because he was an average defender at best. He wasn't even the best SS on his own team for the last ten years of his career. The offensive production he gave you from that position was better than average, no question.

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seems like you're not making the distinction between being overrated and overexposed.

To call him overrated would suggest that people are ranking him as a better player than he actually was....where exactly do you see people ranking Jeter that makes him overrated? Are many saying he's the best shortstop of all-time or something?

You're a Yankees fan and therefore disqualified from making an intelligent statement in this conversation. Sorry.

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't doubt the guy played his hardest at all times and was very consistent throughout his career, but he benefitted from playing on one of the most dynastic franchises in baseball history and his own rep is a bit exaggerated as a result.

"Ground ball up the middle, PAST a diving Jeter!" became a cliche in New York. Why was he always diving at ground balls that were just out of his reach? Because he was an average defender at best. He wasn't even the best SS on his own team for the last ten years of his career. The offensive production he gave you from that position was better than average, no question.

Jeter with the panic Baltimore chop.

"What a fine piece of hitting from Jetes!"

StanMarsh51

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're a Yankees fan and therefore disqualified from making an intelligent statement in this conversation. Sorry.

And you're accusing others of trolling?

Sometimes I get the feeling that you try to rile people up so they'd post more, which helps out your site....

Either that, or you take the hipster route by trying to be contrarian on everything.

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Sometimes I get the feeling that you try to rile people up so they'd post more, which helps out your site....

Either that, or you take the hipster route by trying to be contrarian on everything.

I'm going to encourage this

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Your insight is incredible. Can't fool you!

LOL @ a Yankees fan getting all sanctimonious in a thread about Jetes. :L