• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

I just saw the movie "42" and now I have a question

jvett77

Hoopla Cash
$ 836.47
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
_Phillies_: Never mind. I used "Attachments" for the upload then copied the URL.

Last edited by a moderator:

_phiLLies_

shut up baby, i know it
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
_Phillies_: Never mind. I used "Attachments" for the upload then copied the URL.

yeah. attachments for personal use, insert image when you just want to link to a pic from a site.

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well I was a bit angered i spent 15$ dollars and two and a half hours on a ticket to a terrible movie. Plus I just hate Robinson.

Really? I can't imagine what you were expecting when you spent the $15. You knew the subject going in and there are not that many different angles the could have taken with it. For what it was, it was a good story and the acting was good. If you didn't like it because it showed someone that you hate in a positive light then it seems pretty stupid of you to spend the money to go see it. There have been all kinds of reviews and previews for this movie and nothing to suggest they would have some new angle that attacks Robinson for never being a Phillie during his career.

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really? I can't imagine what you were expecting when you spent the $15. You knew the subject going in and there are not that many different angles the could have taken with it. For what it was, it was a good story and the acting was good. If you didn't like it because it showed someone that you hate in a positive light then it seems pretty stupid of you to spend the money to go see it. There have been all kinds of reviews and previews for this movie and nothing to suggest they would have some new angle that attacks Robinson for never being a Phillie during his career.

no ihate robinson, just like i hate joe jackson. but i loved eight men out. 42 was just long and boring to me.

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i disliked 42 for multiple reasons, none of which are related to my hatred of robinson. slow, long scenes, too much rachel robinson, too much branch rickey. i was expecting to see more depictions of the adversity that robinson faced, or how he felt being the first african-american in the spotlight as a sports star. it also didn't depict the great success that he had in the majors. he had 175 hits and stole 29 bags his first year, the ladder led the league. the jackie robinson story doesn't just chronicle robinson's paths to the big leagues, but the great success that he had that made him a top 5 second baseman. not only is the movie littered with inaccuracies, but it had one of the biggest atrocities in movies that i've seen in a while. it showed the dodgers winning the pennant, but then stops! i'm thinking "ok, i've sat through this long 2, boring hours, and now i'm going to finally see what i came for." then, boom. movie over. the '47 series is one of the greatest of all time, and they chose not t show it?!? that would have been so interesting. not to mention, while he did give a good effort, having the guy from scrubs play the legendary red barber just wasn't believable. and while chadwisk booseman was pretty good, i wish the movie came out 8 years earlie because i think wesley snipes would have played a perfect jackie robinson.

and to westcoast and jvett, i'm sorry if my cursing made me sound furious that we were discussing robinson. it's hard to tell someone's tone over the internet, and i get why i sounded livid. but trust me, i am as calm as can be regarding the topic. it was more of a snide remark, then one full of anger.

and to those who think i'm racist. i hate jackie robinson. i'm not going to sugarcoat it. i love martin luther king, malcom x, w.e.b. du bois, (sp?) booker t. washington, marcus garvey, rosa parks, huey newton, whoever. my hatred has nothing to do with race. the only color i see regarding robinson is blue and white, thus emitting my hatred. i hope everyone can see now that i didn't mean any harm by my comments. i just really hate jackie robinson. period.

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't relate to that because for some reason I don't have any hatred for players on opposing teams that died before I started following the Phillies, but I'll take your word for it.

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, I think Malcolm X was a big Dodger fan, possibly because of Jackie Robinson-so do you still love him or is that a deal breaker?

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, I think Malcolm X was a big Dodger fan, possibly because of Jackie Robinson-so do you still love him or is that a deal breaker?

i don't give a shit who the fuck he likes. i know a ton of people who root for different teams than philly ones. i hold it against them, but i don't hate them like i do the players

jvett77

Hoopla Cash
$ 836.47
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1phillies fan382: I believe that you are an immature, sick, silly SOB who thinks that language strengthens what you say. Then you try to justify it all by blaming it on the movie. Better to admit you never had a mature conversation with grownups, you mentally impoverished bastard!When you get out of grade school, grow the fuck up!

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1phillies fan382: I believe that you are an immature, sick, silly SOB who thinks that language strengthens what you say. Then you try to justify it all by blaming it on the movie. Better to admit you never had a mature conversation with grownups, you mentally impoverished bastard!When you get out of grade school, grow the fuck up!

i don't know what your problem is jvett. i watched a fucking movie. i didn't like it. someone mentions it in a thread. i say i hate robinson. i get attacked and called a racist. i clarify my comments. can't you read jvett? you want me to take the curse words out of my statement? "That movie really blowed. Forget Jackie Robinson nobody really cares about him." Does that make you feel better?

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and i didn't justify shit. i hate robinson. i hate reggie jackson, i hate babe ruth, i hate eddie collins, i hate wade boggs, i hate ted williams, i hate mickey mantle, i hate larry walker, i hate barry bonds, i hate satchel page, i hate harmon killebrew, i hate mel ott, i hate nolan ryan, i hate ken griffey jr, i hate orlando cepeda. do you get it??? I hate every other play, I don't care about race!!!

jvett77

Hoopla Cash
$ 836.47
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and i didn't justify shit. i hate robinson. i hate reggie jackson, i hate babe ruth, i hate eddie collins, i hate wade boggs, i hate ted williams, i hate mickey mantle, i hate larry walker, i hate barry bonds, i hate satchel page, i hate harmon killebrew, i hate mel ott, i hate nolan ryan, i hate ken griffey jr, i hate orlando cepeda. do you get it??? I hate every other play, I don't care about race!!!

This forum is for baseball discussions. I don't feel like reading your stupid insensitive, foul comments. Go to a back alley with your friends and talk dirt about baseball. No one cares who your hate or your reasons why you hate. Good grief!

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This forum is for baseball discussions. I don't feel like reading your stupid insensitive, foul comments. Go to a back alley with your friends and talk dirt about baseball. No one cares who your hate or your reasons why you hate. Good grief!

damnit jvett, i am talking about baseball. that's what all my damn posts are about. no one cares about your opinions on why we should resign utley, halladay, and ruiz to eight year contracts. i came here from these espn boards to talk about baseball, namely phillies baseball, but nonetheless, baseball. jackie robinson is baseball. while he was an honorable man with great character, he's still a dodger

jvett77

Hoopla Cash
$ 836.47
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
damnit jvett, i am talking about baseball. that's what all my damn posts are about. no one cares about your opinions on why we should resign utley, halladay, and ruiz to eight year contracts. i came here from these espn boards to talk about baseball, namely phillies baseball, but nonetheless, baseball. jackie robinson is baseball. while he was an honorable man with great character, he's still a dodger

"F...JR. He's a POS." That ain't talking about an honorable man with great character. If it is, you have a strange way of expressing yourself. I think this thread is just about exhausted. See you in another topic.

_phiLLies_

shut up baby, i know it
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
this is part of the reason ESPN had filters :laugh3:

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"F...JR. He's a POS." That ain't talking about an honorable man with great character. If it is, you have a strange way of expressing yourself. I think this thread is just about exhausted. See you in another topic.

He was an honorable man... but not an honorable ball player because he played for the dodgers. It's like saying Barack Obama is a terrible president but yet still a man with great character. Just because you hate Barack the president doesn't mean you have to hate Barack the person

jvett77

Hoopla Cash
$ 836.47
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He was an honorable man... but not an honorable ball player because he played for the dodgers. It's like saying Barack Obama is a terrible president but yet still a man with great character. Just because you hate Barack the president doesn't mean you have to hate Barack the person

You're so twisted. Please get an education. No members of the other 29 MLB teams are dishonorable, except for those who get juiced or those who give less than 100%, for example. Honor and honorable are defined using words such as distinguished, illustrious, high respect, worthy of special merit; esteem, good name; reputation, a source or cause of credit, principled uprightness of character, personal integrity.

Such a man was Jackie Robinson, the man you say, in your careless, lewd manner, is a piece of shit. You can't justify it or explain your way out of it. I think a long talk with you mom and dad is in order.

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're so twisted. Please get an education. No members of the other 29 MLB teams are dishonorable, except for those who get juiced or those who give less than 100%, for example. Honor and honorable are defined using words such as distinguished, illustrious, high respect, worthy of special merit; esteem, good name; reputation, a source or cause of credit, principled uprightness of character, personal integrity.

Such a man was Jackie Robinson, the man you say, in your careless, lewd manner, is a piece of shit. You can't justify it or explain your way out of it. I think a long talk with you mom and dad is in order.

hey jvett, how about you take your own advice. i can like and dislike whoever the hell i want to. robinson had all of those qualaties as a person. he was distinguished, he did have a good name, and he had integrity. but there's a difference between a man and a ball player. i hate robinson the ball player. i'm fine with robinson the man. the quicker you can get that through your thick skull, the better. matt stairs, the man who saved the nlcs for the phillies, will always be loved by me because he played for the phils. but do i view matt stairs, the person, as a civil rights leader whose tremendous courage paved the way for thousands of new baseball players to come? hell no! furthermore,you think you can bully me through an internet forum into believing that I should bow down to robinson like he is God almighty? you're a real piece of work, jvett. you know, i never really liked jvett the baseball fan because i hated his constant posting about how the phils should just stay the same for the next 15 years. but now, i'm really starting to dislike jvett the person. you're like 30 right? you have a real job? there are more productive things that you can do for your company than bicker with an anonymous person about a person that died 40 years ago!

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This thread is awesome!

The funny thing is it originally was just me "calling back" some goofy post some guy made on the ESPN board, but I never thought it would gain this much traction.
Also, I can't believe he played the "W.E.B. du bois" card..... sp.?