• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

I don't mean to disrespect a dead man

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But ever since his passing, there's been tons of talk of Gwynn being the greatest hitter since he broke into the league in the '80s. He was an amazing hitter, but that's ludicrous. He was one of the greatest hitters of his generation, but the best? Say what you want about PED's but off the top of my head,
Albert Pujols
A-Rod
Albert Belle
Barry Bonds
Mike Piazza
Jim Thome
Vladimir Guerrero
Ken Griffey Jr.
Frank Thomas
Manny Ramirez
Miguel Cabrera
Edgar Martinez
Jeff Bagwell
Larry Walker
Chipper Jones
were all better offensive players. If you want to talk about "pure hitters" that's one thing, but all of those guys (and probably a couple others I'm forgetting) were better offensive players than Gwynn. And I'm talking purely offense value, not defense or positional adjustment. Still a heck of a player. Even though I hated him, RIP Gwynn.

Kevin12773

Boomer Sooner
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hence the greatest "hitter" title and not greatest player. Best hitter I've ever seen imo

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe the greatest contact hitter, but no way is his offensive production better than the players I named.

northeastphillyguy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You probably hate Mother Teresa as well. Gwynn was a remarkable hitter who sprayed the ball to all fields. He was also consistent. Plus he played for a losing team. I respect Tony Gwynn which is more than I can say for you! ..Last but not least you included players who used banned supplements.

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some of those players you mentioned I would not consider part of his generation. Miguel Cabrera never played at the same time as Gwynn and I don't think Pujols did either. I guess he overlapped with Piazza and Ramirez and Thome. But like the other guy said, you can differentiate between the greatest hitter and greatest offensive player. In his generation (1980-2000) it was basically Gwynn in the NL and Boggs in the NL that were considered the best "pure hitters".

RoboticDreams

JM8CH10
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But ever since his passing, there's been tons of talk of Gwynn being the greatest hitter since he broke into the league in the '80s. He was an amazing hitter, but that's ludicrous. He was one of the greatest hitters of his generation, but the best? Say what you want about PED's but off the top of my head,
Albert Pujols
A-Rod
Albert Belle
Barry Bonds
Mike Piazza
Jim Thome
Vladimir Guerrero
Ken Griffey Jr.
Frank Thomas
Manny Ramirez
Miguel Cabrera
Edgar Martinez
Jeff Bagwell
Larry Walker
Chipper Jones
were all better offensive players. If you want to talk about "pure hitters" that's one thing, but all of those guys (and probably a couple others I'm forgetting) were better offensive players than Gwynn. And I'm talking purely offense value, not defense or positional adjustment. Still a heck of a player. Even though I hated him, RIP Gwynn.

He's literally a better hitter than all the guys you posted. Maybe you should go in the opposite direction if you're looking for better hitters. Ted Williams for example.

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You probably hate Mother Teresa as well. Gwynn was a remarkable hitter who sprayed the ball to all fields. He was also consistent. Plus he played for a losing team. I respect Tony Gwynn which is more than I can say for you! ..Last but not least you included players who used banned supplements.

Jeesh dude. No, I don't hate anyone who never competed against the Phillies. No one. I recognize that he was a great player, and his passing was very sad news, especially with his son on the Phillies. I was too young to ever see Gwynn play in his prime, but from everything I've read and seen he seemed like one of the nicest dudes who ever played baseball. 54 isn't half bad when you go through three tins of dip a day for 30 years.

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's literally a better hitter than all the guys you posted. Maybe you should go in the opposite direction if you're looking for better hitters. Ted Williams for example.

Fangraphs has every player's offensive production higher than Gwynn's except Jones and Belle (and only because he played for 10 years).

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some of those players you mentioned I would not consider part of his generation. Miguel Cabrera never played at the same time as Gwynn and I don't think Pujols did either. I guess he overlapped with Piazza and Ramirez and Thome. But like the other guy said, you can differentiate between the greatest hitter and greatest offensive player. In his generation (1980-2000) it was basically Gwynn in the NL and Boggs in the NL that were considered the best "pure hitters".

I said players who broke into the league after TG.

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I can and do differentiate between the two. I said he's the greatest pure hitter since he came into the league. But some people, like Robotics, think he was the best offensive player since the '80s. That's who my thread was about.

Also, Gwynn and Pujols did briefly play in the same time period, so your argument is invalid.

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can and do differentiate between the two. I said he's the greatest pure hitter since he came into the league. But some people, like Robotics, think he was the best offensive player since the '80s. That's who my thread was about.

Also, Gwynn and Pujols did briefly play in the same time period, so your argument is invalid.

You're invalidating my argument over that? Gwyn had 100 ABs as a pinch hitter in Pujols' rookie season.

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"I don't mean to disrespect a dead man"

but I'm going to disrespect him anyway. lolol you are one goofy poster!

By calling him an amazing hitter and placing him in the same category as a number of Hall of Famers/should be Hall of Famers?

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"I don't mean to disrespect a dead man"

but I'm going to disrespect him anyway. lolol you are one goofy poster!

All in all, you're just another brick in the wall