• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

I couldn't fault Chris Paul if he signed with San Antonio..

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I heard Chris Paul heading to the Spurs could cost him an extra season and about $50 million

So its not happening if those facts are correct

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I heard Chris Paul heading to the Spurs could cost him an extra season and about $50 million

So its not happening if those facts are correct

It'll come down to what is more important to him. Between his endorsements and what the Clippers have paid him, he's made a ton of money.

I think the choice he'd be making would be between 5 years/$250 million vs. 4 years/$200 million. If he wants to have a legit shot at a title, he'll go to the Spurs. If he just wants as much money as he can get, he'll stay with the Clips.

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It'll come down to what is more important to him. Between his endorsements and what the Clippers have paid him, he's made a ton of money.

I think the choice he'd be making would be between 5 years/$250 million vs. 4 years/$200 million. If he wants to have a legit shot at a title, he'll go to the Spurs. If he just wants as much money as he can get, he'll stay with the Clips.

Exactly, and unfortunately he would be the first athlete I can ever remember walking away from $50 million he will never see again, cause a 35 year old Chris Paul isnt gonna see another contract in that stratosphere

Im hoping Im wrong and he ends up with the Spurs, the Clippers window has been slammed shut....But Ill have to see it to believe it

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly, and unfortunately he would be the first athlete I can ever remember walking away from $50 million he will never see again, cause a 35 year old Chris Paul isnt gonna see another contract in that stratosphere

Im hoping Im wrong and he ends up with the Spurs, the Clippers window has been slammed shut....But Ill have to see it to believe it

Me too.

I will say though, there have been guys who took less money to win to go to better situations. Lebron, for example, was never the highest paid player on his team when he was in Miami. KD could have gotten more in OKC and Dwight took less to leave the Lakers (thank God).

I don't think any of them walked away from what CP3 would be walking away from, but it's not unprecedented for a player to take less to join a better team.

Plus, going to a state with no income tax after being in the state with the 2nd highest in the country should help relieve some of the sting. lol

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Me too.

I will say though, there have been guys who took less money to win to go to better situations. Lebron, for example, was never the highest paid player on his team when he was in Miami. KD could have gotten more in OKC and Dwight took less to leave the Lakers (thank God).

I don't think any of them walked away from what CP3 would be walking away from, but it's not unprecedented for a player to take less to join a better team.

Plus, going to a state with no income tax after being in the state with the 2nd highest in the country should help relieve some of the sting. lol

With all this said, is he an unrestricted FA this offseason?

Id love to really see it, for the foreseeable future, GS will be cruising to the Finals without much of a fight

Paul in SA would certainly put a major wrench in those plans

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With all this said, is he an unrestricted FA this offseason?

I think he is.

Id love to really see it, for the foreseeable future, GS will be cruising to the Finals without much of a fight

Paul in SA would certainly put a major wrench in those plans

Agree. I'm not a Spurs fan, but I have tremendous respect for them and I am a huge Pop and Kawhi fan. CP3 in SA with Pop as coach and Kawhi on the wing and LA in the middle...that would make them a huge threat to the Warriors.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are the Clippers truly going to offer the full 5 year contract? CP3 just turned 32. Is a 37 year old CP3 going to be worth even half of $50M? At some point, you have to cut your losses.

S&T Paul to the Spurs for Aldridge and a pick. Blake to the Celtics for IT/Crowder? Make it a 3 way trade?

Hornsstampede2.0

Guy Who Never Responds
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont want the deal personally, and I hope it falls apart, but the actual money is not quite as bad.

1. STATE INCOME TAX - If you play half your games at CA tax (13.3%) or TX tax (0%)
That immediately means 13 million dollars goes to California from a 200 million deal.

2. FIFTH YEAR SA CONTRACT MONEY - The Spurs contract would expire earlier. Let's give him a one year deal for 10 million for that 5th year assuming he can still play a little bit at age 36 with inflation.

So, the real diffrence is likely only 29 million in the next 5 years.....or probably even closer as year 5 from SA seems a bit lowball.

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are the Clippers truly going to offer the full 5 year contract? CP3 just turned 32. Is a 37 year old CP3 going to be worth even half of $50M? At some point, you have to cut your losses.

S&T Paul to the Spurs for Aldridge and a pick. Blake to the Celtics for IT/Crowder? Make it a 3 way trade?

So it has to be a sign and trade?

Im not a huge Aldridge fan, but are they upgrading that much if they give up Aldridge to add Paul?

I believe its an upgrade, but not sure how much it closes the gap with GS if they have to surrender Lemarcus

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That would only be the case if the Spurs were willing to give the max.

They would have to trade every significant contract, outside Kawhi, and fill the roster with league minimum players.

That's not very Spurs like.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That would only be the case if the Spurs were willing to give the max.

They would have to trade every significant contract, outside Kawhi, and fill the roster with league minimum players.

That's not very Spurs like.

Yeah, that wouldn't be good. Didn't know the Spurs were cap strapped.

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, that wouldn't be good. Didn't know the Spurs were cap strapped.
Yeah, they can't even get a seat at the table unless Pau opts out, he likely wont, and they trade Green/ let Patty Walk...etc

I think that would get them around 20 mil.

They would have to lose Aldridge, Pau and Green to max him.

That's why I think it's a pipedream unless Chris wakes up.

Money or shot at a Ring, not both.

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's fair, Lebron and who else ? Westbrook, Curry and Davis are some that have cases for top 3.

I still have Durant as number 2. Westbrook's too inconsistent and Curry's an average-to-below average defender. Anthony Davis is often times injured. Durant's arguably the best scorer in the league and is a decent defender - hence why he's second.

BallsOfFurry

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Quite a few already wealthy athletes have walked away from far more money for an opportunity at winning.
I can't say it was 50 million, but many millions for sure.

BallsOfFurry

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still have Durant as number 2. Westbrook's too inconsistent and Curry's an average-to-below average defender. Anthony Davis is often times injured. Durant's arguably the best scorer in the league and is a decent defender - hence why he's second.

These Finals will give me a better gauge on Durant.
Will he be better than Irving, Love, Green and of course Curry ?