• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

I can make a team today to beat the 1992 Dream Team

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL, Malone would try to until Lebron breezes past him. You forget about the fact that this dude has the speed and athleticism of an elite NFL WR to go with his size. Also, I don't know what makes you forget about the fact that Lebron has never had an issue posting up and backing up big men. Hell he's guarded PF's more than any SF I've ever seen.
Also isn't LeBron bigger than Malone? Not sure he can be laid out.

fishinabarrel

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd also like to point out that we really have no idea just how good the Dream Team could have been. They simply weren't challenged. I'll echo @SJ76 ' statement on how cool it would have been to watch a practice.

fishinabarrel

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That Sonics team balled out on offense. Back when maybe 3-4 teams a year averaged over 100 points a game. Now every team scores over 100. Kemp was nasty. The glove was nasty.

Hersey Hawkins was gangster in high school. The glove is one of my favorite PGs but I like great defenders.

You stop the ball and shutdown your opponent, game over

Do they still stop the ball in the NBA? The games I watch someone taking ball in transition seems to be a mysterious lost art

SJ76

I'll slap you with my member
Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do they still stop the ball in the NBA? The games I watch someone taking ball in transition seems to be a mysterious lost art

Yeah I don't see much of it but I'm busy watching 90s old school dvds. Lol

SJ76

Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also isn't LeBron bigger than Malone? Not sure he can be laid out.

Now Lebron is a superhero that actually goes to the hole like a madman.

Yeah sorry Lebron doesn't have Malones strength and yeah he can find him

SJ76

Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL, Malone would try to until Lebron breezes past him. You forget about the fact that this dude has the speed and athleticism of an elite NFL WR to go with his size. Also, I don't know what makes you forget about the fact that Lebron has never had an issue posting up and backing up big men. Hell he's guarded PF's more than any SF I've ever seen.

Your love is cute. Lebron likes to shoot jumpers. He's not a very physical guy compared the 90s post players so acting like he is just because he does have size is funny. If he used his size more and shot less jumpers he might be the GOAT

:Lebron can take the entire dream team." :lol:

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Your love is cute. Lebron likes to shoot jumpers. He's not a very physical guy compared the 90s post players so acting like he is just because he does have size is funny. If he used his size more and shot less jumpers he might be the GOAT

Both in their primes LeBron (6-8 / 250) vs. Pippen (6-8 / 210) 1 on 1. Who ya got? I got LeBron.

:trash:

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@SJ76

I'm with you in that the Dream Team beats pretty much any assembled team you can think of in a series, but the younger guys would give them a challenge. Your assumptions lies with you believing the Dream Team would have a stylistic advantage over the younger team, but the younger team also offers a unique challenge that the Dream Teamers never faced. There weren't 7'0 guys who could shoot 3's with the regularity and proficiency that guys now a days can. They didn't face open/spread offenses that guys face now that incorporate more movement and ball cuts. They didn't face the sort of pace that is offered in today's game.

There's a challenge on both sides for both teams. The Dream Team possesses way more talent, but talent doesn't always win. The offense in today's NBA game is much more sophisticated and intricate. The pace is and number of possessions is at an all time high. The number of 3's being shot now is ridiculous. Guys like Barkley, Malone, Ewing and Robinson never had to guard a guy like AD or Cousins. Magic never faced a guy his own size and strength who could guard him and do many of the same things he did in Lebron. Jordan never had to guard a guy who was nearly 7'0" who could pull up from 30 or take the ball to the hoop in KD.

There's all sorts of stylistic matchups that favor the younger guys to make for a very close and interesting matchup.

However my contention is that the Dream Team wins a series because they were a much more complete team with no weaknesses. Basically the Younger guys who have to play their A game (which is possible) to win. Dream Team could still win games with their B games.

SJ76

Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Both in their primes LeBron (6-8 / 250) vs. Pippen (6-8 / 210) 1 on 1. Who ya got? I got LeBron.

:trash:

Oh hell yeah Lebron. Pipps great on D and a great role player to get 18-20 points some boards and steals. But let's not act like Lebron plays like a gazelle at 270 and throws his weight around like Barkley or Malone.

SJ76

Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@SJ76

I'm with you in that the Dream Team beats pretty much any assembled team you can think of in a series, but the younger guys would give them a challenge. Your assumptions lies with you believing the Dream Team would have a stylistic advantage over the younger team, but the younger team also offers a unique challenge that the Dream Teamers never faced. There weren't 7'0 guys who could shoot 3's with the regularity and proficiency that guys now a days can. They didn't face open/spread offenses that guys face now that incorporate more movement and ball cuts. They didn't face the sort of pace that is offered in today's game.

There's a challenge on both sides for both teams. The Dream Team possesses way more talent, but talent doesn't always win. The offense in today's NBA game is much more sophisticated and intricate. The pace is and number of possessions is at an all time high. The number of 3's being shot now is ridiculous. Guys like Barkley, Malone, Ewing and Robinson never had to guard a guy like AD or Cousins. Magic never faced a guy his own size and strength who could guard him and do many of the same things he did in Lebron. Jordan never had to guard a guy who was nearly 7'0" who could pull up from 30 or take the ball to the hoop in KD.

There's all sorts of stylistic matchups that favor the younger guys to make for a very close and interesting matchup.

However my contention is that the Dream Team wins a series because they were a much more complete team with no weaknesses. Basically the Younger guys who have to play their A game (which is possible) to win. Dream Team could still win games with their B games.

I'm saying Jordan and those post players with Magic and Pippen on defense are not going to be touched. Why? Because of the coaching in college, the experience, and the fact Jordan when he needs to will slow it down, pound it inside and wear your ass out with big buckets. He's an assassin. Stone cold

Lebron doesn't really slow it down and if he does I see a helluva lot more step back jumpers that getting to the hole and/or get to the line. Lebron Never has so why act like he all the sudden he would just because he's "the perfect specimen" running fast? Cmon you're not gonna win by trying to outscore the dream team and you're not going to stop Jordan or those post players.

Could they lose a game? Sure they could

SJ76

Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bball IQ
Shot selection

These things are lopsided when comparing the 2 eras

Guys like Dean smith John Thompson Judd Heathcoat all say hi

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Man, you gotta stop strawmanning if you want anyone to take you seriously. Who said LeBron could take the entire DT?

CitySushi

Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm saying Jordan and those post players with Magic and Pippen on defense are not going to be touched. Why? Because of the coaching in college, the experience, and the fact Jordan when he needs to will slow it down, pound it inside and wear your ass out with big buckets. He's an assassin. Stone cold

Lebron doesn't really slow it down and if he does I see a helluva lot more step back jumpers that getting to the hole and/or get to the line. Lebron Never has so why act like he all the sudden he would just because he's "the perfect specimen" running fast? Cmon you're not gonna win by trying to outscore the dream team and you're not going to stop Jordan or those post players.

Could they lose a game? Sure they could

See that's the thing though. Jordan and Lebron are not the same type of player. Lebron is more like Magic than he is like Jordan. Jordan would absolutely be able to dominate the ball on offense and still be an offensive juggernaut because that's who he is. Lebron could score much less with this type of surrounding cast, allowing other aspects of his game to shine. If you're boiling it down to a one on one matchup, Jordan wins every time.

The team concept is the way the Younger guys can win. It's the only way. It's with precision passing, high pace, intricate and precision offense with perimeter scoring. The Dream team would play to their strengths and so would the younger guys.

Assuming the Dream Team would just impose it's will on the younger guys is a bit much. These guys are all elite players. Just they happened to play in different eras.

SJ76

Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man, you gotta stop strawmanning if you want anyone to take you seriously. Who said LeBron could take the entire DT?

Funny you actually took that comment seriously. There's a few Cavs fans in love with Lebrons physique

SJ76

Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
See that's the thing though. Jordan and Lebron are not the same type of player. Lebron is more like Magic than he is like Jordan. Jordan would absolutely be able to dominate the ball on offense and still be an offensive juggernaut because that's who he is. Lebron could score much less with this type of surrounding cast, allowing other aspects of his game to shine. If you're boiling it down to a one on one matchup, Jordan wins every time.

The team concept is the way the Younger guys can win. It's the only way. It's with precision passing, high pace, intricate and precision offense with perimeter scoring. The Dream team would play to their strengths and so would the younger guys.

Assuming the Dream Team would just impose it's will on the younger guys is a bit much. These guys are all elite players. Just they happened to play in different eras.

The team concept is how any team wins period. The post players now are not even in the same ballpark as the 90s. If the younger players play the way men played post 1995 they would shit their pants. Boogie would lose his mind

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The problem with these comparisons is they are skewed towards todays players because you are using players that are in their prime or close to it vs. players who were close to the end of their careers.

The Original Dream Team couldn't be formed before 1992 because they weren't allowed to participate as professional athletes.

So, to make a truly fair comparison, you have to allow the Dream Team players at or close to their prime. Essentially, you set up what you thought was a scenario that made your point impossible to refute and have started claiming "bad responses/bias" when folks still disagree.

What's also disappointing is you saying those who disagree with you simply can't get past their biases. You, of course, are able to set yours aside, right?

So, how about YOU respond to how the group you put together would fare against The Original Dream Team with those players at or near their prime?

You're missing it. I looked at the actual Dream Team as they actually were, at those ages, and said 'I wonder if today's players as they are at their ages right now could beat them?'. The fact that you'd need all guys in their prime today to credibly beat the DT half the time is just more evidence that the DT was indeed the greatest team ever assembled. Could the current palyers assemble a team good enough to go toe to toe with them? I think so.

But if you line up the 12 actual DTers at their actual ages with the 12 modern players at theirs, other than Jordan, I'm not sure the DTers are that much more talented. But as has been pointed out, depends on the rules. Modern rules, the modern team wins 60% of the time, old school no zone defense rules, probably they win only 30%

And in the end I was just trying to start a fun convo and I succeeded. So:

9EEy3.gif

CitySushi

Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The team concept is how any team wins period. The post players now are not even in the same ballpark as the 90s. If the younger players play the way men played post 1995 they would shit their pants. Boogie would lose his mind

Agreed 100%. But the bigs from the Dream Team couldn't and wouldn't be able to guard the perimeter bigs of today's game. Even Barkley has said he was a poor defender. Those guys were used to banging in the post. Put them in the pick and rolls with the stretch bigs and it's a wrap, just as much as it would be a wrap watching Robinson or Ewing go to work in the post.

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Funny you actually took that comment seriously. There's a few Cavs fans in love with Lebrons physique

It's on par with your other comments. We say 'this guy is good' you say 'oh right like MJ wasn't good too', we say 'LeBron was a beast' and you say 'oh now he's a superhero LOL' and shit like that all the time. Just talkin' here.

SJ76

Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's on par with your other comments. We say 'this guy is good' you say 'oh right like MJ wasn't good too', we say 'LeBron was a beast' and you say 'oh now he's a superhero LOL' and shit like that all the time. Just talkin' here.

You confused yourself in that post

SJ76

Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed 100%. But the bigs from the Dream Team couldn't and wouldn't be able to guard the perimeter bigs of today's game. Even Barkley has said he was a poor defender. Those guys were used to banging in the post. Put them in the pick and rolls with the stretch bigs and it's a wrap, just as much as it would be a wrap watching Robinson or Ewing go to work in the post.

So what bigs are gonna beat the 1992 dream team from the 3 point line ? Cuz I'm not seeing that.