• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Hypothetical: Culliver Returns

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
How Much Will 49ers Cornerback Tarell Brown's Blunder Cost His Former Agent? - Forbes

An interesting article, Brown claims he found out about the whole thing on twitter. Brown also claims that he was often in contact with his agent Brian Overstreet and that he told Brown it would be OK if he missed the workouts. Which is pretty telling because Brown even asked if he had to show up. Brown asked because EVERY NFL team uses attendance clauses. It seemed like every summer it was being written by 49ers writers that Gore was giving up $500k to workout in Florida instead of with the 49ers. I think it was even talked about that Crabtree was losing money for staying in Texas one offseason. It usually isn't $2 million dollars they lose if they don't show up, but that should have been even more incentive to be there.

To argue that the 49ers were sneaky and underhanded is just arguing from a stance of pure ignorance and stupidity. The practice of using attendance clauses has been around for decades. Players and agents know about it, so for anyone to sit there and continue to say Baalke was being slick and the 49ers were cheating their player is just idiotic.

If you feel the 49ers are required to baby their employees and nag them over every detail of their contract then you need to stop looking at the world through selfish eyes. What makes you think the 49ers front office has time for that?? Don't you think the stadium project, negotiating new contracts, searching for FAs, scouting potential FAs from team cuts, scouting college players, public appearance PR events, and everything else they do keeps them a little busy? They have bigger fish to fry in the offseason instead of making sure players know when to show up to get paid, something that is the responsibility of the player and his agent in the first place.

my opinion too.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How Much Will 49ers Cornerback Tarell Brown's Blunder Cost His Former Agent? - Forbes

An interesting article, Brown claims he found out about the whole thing on twitter. Brown also claims that he was often in contact with his agent Brian Overstreet and that he told Brown it would be OK if he missed the workouts. Which is pretty telling because Brown even asked if he had to show up. Brown asked because EVERY NFL team uses attendance clauses. It seemed like every summer it was being written by 49ers writers that Gore was giving up $500k to workout in Florida instead of with the 49ers. I think it was even talked about that Crabtree was losing money for staying in Texas one offseason. It usually isn't $2 million dollars they lose if they don't show up, but that should have been even more incentive to be there.

To argue that the 49ers were sneaky and underhanded is just arguing from a stance of pure ignorance and stupidity. The practice of using attendance clauses has been around for decades. Players and agents know about it, so for anyone to sit there and continue to say Baalke was being slick and the 49ers were cheating their player is just idiotic.

If you feel the 49ers are required to baby their employees and nag them over every detail of their contract then you need to stop looking at the world through selfish eyes. What makes you think the 49ers front office has time for that?? Don't you think the stadium project, negotiating new contracts, searching for FAs, scouting potential FAs from team cuts, scouting college players, public appearance PR events, and everything else they do keeps them a little busy? They have bigger fish to fry in the offseason instead of making sure players know when to show up to get paid, something that is the responsibility of the player and his agent in the first place.

So we agree, it was his ignorance that caused him to miss the camp. The 49ers could have taken the high road and made sure he was aware of the situation.
What makes me think they had time for that is because they have people working there whose sole responsibility it is to know such things. You don't think they had budgeted beforehand that 2 mil to be paid on the day he arrived at camp? C'mon, you think their accounting and finace people just thought, "Oops, good thing he didn't show up beause we forgot to mail that 2 mil to him". C'mon now.

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brown's position does not require intelligence, it requires physical ability. Baalke's position however absolutely requires intelligence. So, yes, Brown, is exempt. And it was an "extra" thing he was being asked to do, it was a voluntary workout. As for pulling out his contract, C'mon man! That is absurd. How many NFL guys do you think read their contract? Hell, how many NFL guys do you think could even understand the language of their contract? I agree with you that the onus was on Brown but his ignorance gives him a reasonable excuse for doing what he did; the 49ers have no such excuse. They knew what the contract said. Who do you think informed Brown (after the fact) that he lost his bonus?

You are being dense. Paraage is there for the contract details much like Brown's agent is there for the contract details. You are splitting hairs in order to halfway attempt to protect your bullshit thought process. And your argument that Brown pulling out his own fucking contract and checking the shit himself as being absurd is such amazing shit that I am actually surprised you took that position. Because you believe that other NFL players may or may not look at at their contract, that justifies in your fucked up thought process the fact that the Niners should be holding the player's hand in reminding him of what his obligations and incentives are on the piece of paper that HE signed. Voluntary workouts or not, he KNOWS he has workout and/or performance incentives in his contract and should be able to make sure he isn't doing anything to limit that.

I don't make millions but I have read my contract front and back...and what I don't understand, that's what my lawyer is for.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are being dense. Paraage is there for the contract details much like Brown's agent is there for the contract details. You are splitting hairs in order to halfway attempt to protect your bullshit thought process. And your argument that Brown pulling out his own fucking contract and checking the shit himself as being absurd is such amazing shit that I am actually surprised you took that position. Because you believe that other NFL players may or may not look at at their contract, that justifies in your fucked up thought process the fact that the Niners should be holding the player's hand in reminding him of what his obligations and incentives are on the piece of paper that HE signed. Voluntary workouts or not, he KNOWS he has workout and/or performance incentives in his contract and should be able to make sure he isn't doing anything to limit that.

I don't make millions but I have read my contract front and back...and what I don't understand, that's what my lawyer is for.

Bullshit. Not very many NFL players would bother to read their contracts even if they could undertsand the legalese. Talk about dense! Pull your head out of your ass; it sounds like the oxygen to your brain has been cut off. And you ain't got no lawyer and you know it. Otherwise you wouldn't be filling this board with your drivel all day.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
They didn't get rich or to the positions they are in by being stupid. They have a staff who cover every inch of the team's financial situation.
If you take care of your good employees, they will return that to you. if you don't they will move on and your reputation as a shady dealer will effect your bottom line as well as the oproduct you are able to put out there. Brown definitely deserves some of the blame for his situation but it could have all been avoided by the 49ers doing the right thing.

Not having a little note on one's calendar about Tarrell Brown isn't the same thing as "being stupid." Taking care of your employees isn't the same thing as bailing them out every time they F' up. You're right about the "some of the blame" part, but the rest of the blame lies in his incompetent agent. 0% of the blame lies in the 49ers; they're not in the business of performing the job functions of NFL agents.

dreday

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I don't blame his agent. I blame him, bcuz he's out the 2 mil. We all know that's why u pay an agent. But I'm gonna look after my money & contract my damn self. I don't feel sorry for him one bit. U when to college, so I hope u can read.

whysies

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't blame his agent. I blame him, bcuz he's out the 2 mil. We all know that's why u pay an agent. But I'm gonna look after my money & contract my damn self. I don't feel sorry for him one bit. U when to college, so I hope u can read.

Dre- Did u when 2 college?

j/k bro bro, I dig it

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not having a little note on one's calendar about Tarrell Brown isn't the same thing as "being stupid." Taking care of your employees isn't the same thing as bailing them out every time they F' up. You're right about the "some of the blame" part, but the rest of the blame lies in his incompetent agent. 0% of the blame lies in the 49ers; they're not in the business of performing the job functions of NFL agents.

Agreed. The are not legally responsible but it would have been the right thing to do. A good employee/employer relationship depends on honesty and trust. I'm sure there is none of that now. I see this as a distrubing new trend with the 49ers being, I believe, dishonest and dealing dirty with Colt MCoy, Seneca Wallace and John Skelton among others. They will soon be seen as a team that players cannot trust and believe me that will really hurt.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed. The are not legally responsible but it would have been the right thing to do. A good employee/employer relationship depends on honesty and trust. I'm sure there is none of that now. I see this as a distrubing new trend with the 49ers being, I believe, dishonest and dealing dirty with Colt MCoy, Seneca Wallace and John Skelton among others. They will soon be seen as a team that players cannot trust and believe me that will really hurt.

what are you talking about, this front office has shown if u work hard they will resign you before your contract is up. Look at Boone, kid wasnt even a starter and they signed him long term. If you fit it their plans and work hard at your craft they will resign you if they can.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
what are you talking about, this front office has shown if u work hard they will resign you before your contract is up. Look at Boone, kid wasnt even a starter and they signed him long term. If you fit it their plans and work hard at your craft they will resign you if they can.

The also are developing a reputation for lying to players and using them for leverage against other players. And that is not even mentioning the most egregious misdeed, the shabby treatment of Alex Smith. That stuff could come back to bite them. This is not a college team.

DoobieKeebler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It may not be the Niners job to be Tarrell Brown's nanny, but when there is an unspoken understanding that 2 million was already allocated for Brown, it is in management's best interest to keep from having disgruntled players become a distraction in their locker room.

At the same time, Baalke had no idea Brown or his agent were going to forget to fulfill the requirement to get the $2 million bonus, and SF cannot display favoritism by giving him the money anyways, otherwise it sets a bad precedent.

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:doh: You're talking out of both sides of you mouth here. Money isn't everything; doesn't necessarily mean you shouldn't complain. Ok. What is he complaining about??? MONEY!!!
:L

You were the one that was saying that he shouldn't complain because he makes tons of money. I said that not everyone is happy because they have money and that they can complain just like anyone else. Why wouldn't he complain about losing $2 million?

The point still stands, your opinion is that just because he is in the NFL, he shouldn't complain. I disagree, we have no idea what these guys lives are like and can only take guesses. I'm not one to tell someone how to feel or react to a shitty situation without walking a mile in their shoes. You do this a lot where you see things from your perspective only and act as though everyone should think the same way.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
:L

You were the one that was saying that he shouldn't complain because he makes tons of money. I said that not everyone is happy because they have money and that they can complain just like anyone else. Why wouldn't he complain about losing $2 million?

It matters to whom he's complaining. If your wife throws away a priceless baseball card because she thought it was junk and then you go complain to your neighbor and ask him to reimburse you, that's f'ing stupid. The only person to whom he has left to complain is himself because he already fired his agent. The 49ers had nothing to do with him losing a potential 2 million. Nothing.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The also are developing a reputation for lying to players and using them for leverage against other players. And that is not even mentioning the most egregious misdeed, the shabby treatment of Alex Smith. That stuff could come back to bite them. This is not a college team.

how was it shabby treatment? we'd be dumb not to kick the tires on manning.

whysies

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

How many millions did the 49ers pay Alex Smith? How many playoff wins did he give them in return? How many seasons of above average QB play did he give them in return? Do you actually believe the things that you type?

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How many millions did the 49ers pay Alex Smith? How many playoff wins did he give them in return? How many seasons of above average QB play did he give them in return? Do you actually believe the things that you type?

Funny, I was going to ask you the same question.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
how was it shabby treatment? we'd be dumb not to kick the tires on manning.

No, I'm talking about the replacement of Smith with Kaepernick. Probably the right move but handled very poorly.