• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Hypothetical: Culliver Returns

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I'd move culliver to FS next year and put Reid at SS

today's Safeties are almost interchangeable, so the differences are small?

wouldn't move Culliver to Safety but staying with the topic..........i'd leave Reid at his best spot. then whomever's best next to him (communication, complementary measurables, scheme 'knowledgeble', etc.) can be the other.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was. Astute, calculating businessmen rip off morons every day. What's your point?

I disagree that the 49ers ripped him off or are currently ripping him off. They didn't sneak in the language or do anything underhanded to steal from him. The agent and Brown himself dropped the ball, the clause is a common clause that nearly every contract contains. To me, saying the 49ers ripped him off is saying they are the bad guys which isn't true.

Anyway, back to the real topic. I'd take Brock over Culliver and I'd be ecstatic if somehow next season we were lining up Brown/Brock/Culliver. Probably won't happen though, every INT by Brock adds another million dollars to his contract. If he ends up anywhere near 8-10 picks he is well out of the 49ers price range.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Brown is probably waiting to see if the team is going to do right by him or continue the rip off of the 2 mil before he thinks about re-signing..

Dumbest post of the day (not surprising).

That's like saying to your boss, "Oh, I thought we were closed on groundhog's day, so I didn't show up. Sorry; my bad. But I should be paid for that day anyway, and if you don't you're ripping me off!"

tomikcon1971

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Culliver is a liability at corner. Why do people still insist he's the Messiah of our D. The guy is a bum who cost us a SB.

Yeah, he missed all those tackles on the kickoff return TD and he was a QB, WR, and OC for four plays goal to go. Oh, and he threw a pick playing QB and fumbled while playing RB.

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He never really was a starter. At this point though I wouldn't move Brock, he is by far and away our best CB and needs to be extended.

Next year we are looking at Brock, Wright and Culliver as our top 3 CB's unless a rookie comes in. These 3 seem like an upgrade over Brown and Rogers at this point in their careers. I'm really interested to see what Wright is going to do when he gets up to speed, I think he could challenge Brown or Rogers for their job this year. As the team wants to sign him long term, him playing a lot this season and either Brown or Rogers hitting the bench (they will both be gone next year), seems likely.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dumbest post of the day (not surprising).

That's like saying to your boss, "Oh, I thought we were closed on groundhog's day, so I didn't show up. Sorry; my bad. But I should be paid for that day anyway, and if you don't you're ripping me off!"

No, its like your human resources dept not telling you that you had to renew your 401 K by 31 December or the company's matching portion would not vest and then expecting you to work for them and still give your best. You would expect them to send you a notice just like the 49ers should have done. The right thing to do would have been to tell Brown despite the fact that he is an ignorant boob for allowing it to happen. They preyed on his ignorance and naivete and that is wrong.

tomikcon1971

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rogers needs to go next year. I'm hoping Wright can work the slot this year. Rogers is SLOW and past his prime.

tomikcon1971

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think Brown comes back either. He has to be pissed about the 2 million, even though he deserves most of the blame.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
No, its like your human resources dept not telling you that you had to renew your 401 K by 31 December or the company's matching portion would not vest and then expecting you to work for them and still give your best. You would expect them to send you a notice just like the 49ers should have done. The right thing to do would have been to tell Brown despite the fact that he is an ignorant boob for allowing it to happen. They preyed on his ignorance and naivete and that is wrong.

Were you just programmed to be wrong about everything in life no matter what it is? Maybe the 49ers should have sent someone to his house to make sure he wakes up on time. Better yet, the guy should drag Brown out of bed, make him breakfast and drive him to work.

They put a clause in the contract saying if you don't show up to work this day you don't get paid. Brown didn't show up to work, but you think he should still get paid. No wonder you're a nanny-state liberal; you don't think people should have to take responsibility for anything. Everyone's a victim.

I didn't show up for a day at work in one of my first jobs because I thought it was my day off. Take a guess as to whether or not they paid me for that day? But they should have I guess.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rogers needs to go next year. I'm hoping Wright can work the slot this year. Rogers is SLOW and past his prime.

I think it is a foregone conclusion that Rogers will not be back next year. Don't be surprised if Wright begins taking reps away from him and eventually takes the starting role as the team is evaluating Wright for a long term extension.

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think Brown comes back either. He has to be pissed about the 2 million, even though he deserves most of the blame.

I would be shocked if they re-signed Brown.

I don't think that he deserves most of the blame, part of the blame? Sure but now most of the blame, that goes to his agent.

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really HATE when people attempt to compare regular every day jobs to playing in the NFL or any professional sport for that matter. Apples and Oranges

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I really HATE when people attempt to compare regular every day jobs to playing in the NFL or any professional sport for that matter. Apples and Oranges

You're right; being in the NFL means you have even less of a reason to complain about how you're treated. The minimum salary is 6 figures.

Not only would I be surprised if Brown re-signs, I'd be upset. He's not all that good IMO, and some team desperate for a CB will over-pay IMO.

Rathman44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I think it is a foregone conclusion that Rogers will not be back next year. Don't be surprised if Wright begins taking reps away from him and eventually takes the starting role as the team is evaluating Wright for a long term extension.

Not saying that it'd be my preference, but I could easily see Rogers come back after restructuring his contract. I don't think he'd be that hot of a commodity on the FA market and his agent knows it.

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're right; being in the NFL means you have even less of a reason to complain about how you're treated. The minimum salary is 6 figures.

Not only would I be surprised if Brown re-signs, I'd be upset. He's not all that good IMO, and some team desperate for a CB will over-pay IMO.

Your opinion, I disagree. Money doesn't always mean you are happy nor that you shouldn't complain. I understand that money would mean happiness for some people but I don't like blanket statements like because money isn't happiness for all people.

I do however agree with the second part. He isn't near as good as he was last season and someone will pay him more money than he is worth.

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not saying that it'd be my preference, but I could easily see Rogers come back after restructuring his contract. I don't think he'd be that hot of a commodity on the FA market and his agent knows it.

I don't want him back, he's a liability. He might be the worse slot CB in the NFL, he just can't cover slot receivers.

Xponentialchaos

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well I might be in the minority here, but I like the way Brown has been playing. Rogers, not so much. Maybe I'll try to dig up some stats later to see if they confirm my opinion or not.

Anyway, back on topic, I like the way Brock has been playing so I wouldn't want Culliver to take his spot just yet. He'd have to earn it.

tomikcon1971

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Regarding Brown's salary, it's about personal responsibility in my opinion. I get it that he hired an agent but I don't leave my personal finances completely in his/her hands. I ask questions and understand the document.

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Regarding Brown's salary, it's about personal responsibility in my opinion. I get it that he hired an agent but I don't leave my personal finances completely in his/her hands. I ask questions and understand the document.

That is the reason these guys hire an agency though. The agents negotiate the contracts, the agents help create the final draft and then call in the clients to simply sign the document. The agents and the team are ONLY ones who know every detail of the contract. Of course you would want to ask questions to get a better understanding of the contract but what is to say that he didn't ask questions? How long ago did Brown sign the contract? Is it completely out of the realm of possibility that his agent (and possibly even team) forgot about this detail?

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Were you just programmed to be wrong about everything in life no matter what it is? Maybe the 49ers should have sent someone to his house to make sure he wakes up on time. Better yet, the guy should drag Brown out of bed, make him breakfast and drive him to work.

They put a clause in the contract saying if you don't show up to work this day you don't get paid. Brown didn't show up to work, but you think he should still get paid. No wonder you're a nanny-state liberal; you don't think people should have to take responsibility for anything. Everyone's a victim.

I didn't show up for a day at work in one of my first jobs because I thought it was my day off. Take a guess as to whether or not they paid me for that day? But they should have I guess.

That's because you provide no value to your company except your expertise with the French Fry machine and they can teach anyone to do that. Valuable workers like Brown who have a unique skill, you take care of. The decent thing to do would have been to say "we need you at camp and don't forget you lose your bonus if you don't show." You take the high road in business instead of the shady way and it comes back to you.

Last edited by a moderator: