• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Hypothetical: Culliver Returns

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
The decent thing to do would have been to say "we need you at camp and don't forget you lose your bonus if you don't show." You take the high road in business instead of the shady way and it comes back to you.

What makes you think Trent Baalke or his staff memorize all the clauses in every player's contract? The clause might've been just as big of a surprise to them as it was to Brown.

And because he's valuable you "take care of" him?" THEY DO! They already pay him millions of dollars to do what he does. The team doesn't concern itself with performing the job functions of his friggn' agent too. Or his maid; or his butler; or his tax preparer.

Last edited by a moderator:

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
cully would have to battle it out for the 4th corner spot.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Somehow you inferred from Wikipedia that he is illiterate, I don't think it's much of a stretch for someone to infer from that comment that you think he's stupid.

And you said all that about Brown not because you actually believe it but just to get a rise out of people. That's troll talk Billy.

You got kicked off the SF Giants board for being a huge tool of a troll. You have the same schtick here. You don't remember that? Is your mind that addled with senility?

No, I inferred that from the fact that he is a product of the Texas public school system. What's this about a Giants board?

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You implied that he was stupid. And ignorance and stupidity are pretty damn close to each other. I don't need you to say it for me not to realize you think the dude is stupid.
He pays an agent for a reason, all the contract stuff is on the agent. Players don't worry about the contract except for how much money they get and how many years the contract is. All the other little details are all on the agent to take care of and let the player know. If the players did everything there would be no point of an agent.

No.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do enjoy reading Toby's argument about how this is both the team and the player's fault and they all deserve our disgust (or is it pity? I can't tell)

"Boo everyone. Team sucks, it's only 5-2 and they beat up on cupcakes like the Packers. Management sucks, they just try to take advantage of people's stupidity. Players suck, they're stupid. Quarterback sucks, he's a stupid narcissist who likes rap music. Manningham sucks, he's a stupid wimp who loves him some histrionics.

Special teams coach is pretty good though, he must be new. Go Niners!"

Good lord those panties are really bunched up in there today, aren't they? But I gotta say, I do get a kick out of you.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What makes you think Trent Baalke or his staff memorize all the clauses in every player's contract? The clause might've been just as big of a surprise to them as it was to Brown.

And because he's valuable you "take care of" him?" THEY DO! They already pay him millions of dollars to do what he does. The team doesn't concern itself with performing the job functions of his friggn' agent too. Or his maid; or his butler; or his tax preparer.

They didn't get rich or to the positions they are in by being stupid. They have a staff who cover every inch of the team's financial situation.
If you take care of your good employees, they will return that to you. if you don't they will move on and your reputation as a shady dealer will effect your bottom line as well as the oproduct you are able to put out there. Brown definitely deserves some of the blame for his situation but it could have all been avoided by the 49ers doing the right thing.

whysies

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good lord those panties are really bunched up in there today, aren't they? But I gotta say, I do get a kick out of you.

And I would be lying if I said the village idiot schtick wasn't growing on me (I mean, shuckin' and jivin'? Really?). As long as its not detracting from actual conversations it's really not a bother to me.

I also liked when you mocked imac for being a Canadian when he was the only person on this site who defended you. That was good.

Cheers!:suds:

h0ckeysk83r

Haters gonna hate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Overall I think we should be plenty impressed with how good our db's have been this year. Especially since many of us were worried about it. We thought it might be better with our dline looking better. But with injuries and aldon fuck up the db's have been very good!

RoboticDreams

JM8CH10
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Am I the only person who realizes, that Toby is a contrarian? It's just his personality. Go with the flow and don't let it affect you. It takes all kinds. We can't all be Breaker or Sickness. I mention those two because they are polar opposites. One is over the top for the Niners, the other almost seems like a Seahawks fan, at times. We need diversity or it would be boring.

dreday

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
TT is right 9ers could've said something 2 Brown. We don't know if they did or didn't. But if it's my money I'm gonna know about the workout clause point blank. If I'm a millionaire I'm not just gonna believe my accountant. I'm gonna check my money.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And I would be lying if I said the village idiot schtick wasn't growing on me (I mean, shuckin' and jivin'? Really?). As long as its not detracting from actual conversations it's really not a bother to me.

I also liked when you mocked imac for being a Canadian when he was the only person on this site who defended you. That was good.

Cheers!:suds:

Not a chance. That didn't happen. He feels even more disdain for your little board police routine than I do.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
TT is right 9ers could've said something 2 Brown. We don't know if they did or didn't. But if it's my money I'm gonna know about the workout clause point blank. If I'm a millionaire I'm not just gonna believe my accountant. I'm gonna check my money.

That is the one issue that we cannot know but I'm prettty sure if they told him "you are gong to be out two thirds of your salary if you don't come to the early camp" that he wold have been on the next plane to Santa Clara.

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They didn't get rich or to the positions they are in by being stupid. They have a staff who cover every inch of the team's financial situation.
If you take care of your good employees, they will return that to you. if you don't they will move on and your reputation as a shady dealer will effect your bottom line as well as the oproduct you are able to put out there. Brown definitely deserves some of the blame for his situation but it could have all been avoided by the 49ers doing the right thing.

But yet Brown somehow is exempt from that statement with his "ignorance", huh? TT, go away.

Look, this was not some EXTRA thing he was being asked to participate in. This wasn't a camp that suddenly came out of nowhere and snuck up on Brown. If he knew he was going to miss camp, shouldn't he have pulled out his copy of the contract and reviewed it himself because HE is the one deviating from the expectations, not the Niners. The Niners are expecting him to show up to all team events, mandatory or otherwise. The onus is on the player to communicate the fact that they will not be attending. If he doesn't realize that his contract has a workout clause in it and he decided to make a decision without reviewing his options and the ramifications of whatever decision he makes, then he deserves what he didn't get. The Niners organization cannot be on the hook to remind each and every one of its players to remember to wipe their own asses.

whysies

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not a chance. That didn't happen. He feels even more disdain for your little board police routine than I do.

Is misremembering this part of the new, more senile than ever schtick? Anyway, it was pretty funny at the time:

Thank you IMAC. Despite some of your left-leaning views and semi anti American sentiment you are a good poster. I enjoy reading your stuff, especially your non football stuff.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But yet Brown somehow is exempt from that statement with his "ignorance", huh? TT, go away.

Look, this was not some EXTRA thing he was being asked to participate in. This wasn't a camp that suddenly came out of nowhere and snuck up on Brown. If he knew he was going to miss camp, shouldn't he have pulled out his copy of the contract and reviewed it himself because HE is the one deviating from the expectations, not the Niners. The Niners are expecting him to show up to all team events, mandatory or otherwise. The onus is on the player to communicate the fact that they will not be attending. If he doesn't realize that his contract has a workout clause in it and he decided to make a decision without reviewing his options and the ramifications of whatever decision he makes, then he deserves what he didn't get. The Niners organization cannot be on the hook to remind each and every one of its players to remember to wipe their own asses.

Brown's position does not require intelligence, it requires physical ability. Baalke's position however absolutely requires intelligence. So, yes, Brown, is exempt. And it was an "extra" thing he was being asked to do, it was a voluntary workout. As for pulling out his contract, C'mon man! That is absurd. How many NFL guys do you think read their contract? Hell, how many NFL guys do you think could even understand the language of their contract? I agree with you that the onus was on Brown but his ignorance gives him a reasonable excuse for doing what he did; the 49ers have no such excuse. They knew what the contract said. Who do you think informed Brown (after the fact) that he lost his bonus?

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is misremembering this part of the new, more senile than ever schtick? Anyway, it was pretty funny at the time:

Originally Posted by TobyTyler
Thank you IMAC. Despite some of your left-leaning views and semi anti American sentiment you are a good poster. I enjoy reading your stuff, especially your non football stuff.

Sounds more like a compliment to me. But please show me where I ridiculed him for his nationality. I'll wait.

whysies

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Originally Posted by TobyTyler

Sounds more like a compliment to me. But please show me where I ridiculed him for his nationality. I'll wait.

The anti-American comment. He doesn't say anything anti-American, you were just making a "You silly hoser" joke. And it was well-timed considering he's the only poster that appreciates your posts.

I'm paying you a compliment man, it was funny stuff.

I'm not sure if your self-awareness is part of the village idiot schtick or just a personality deficiency on your part. I'm going to go ahead and give you credit that its the former because I would really hate to think that there is a real Toby Tyler type person running around in this world.

Anyway maybe we shouldn't derail this thread any more. I'll go ahead and let you fire a last insult at me and we can just leave it at that.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How Much Will 49ers Cornerback Tarell Brown's Blunder Cost His Former Agent? - Forbes

An interesting article, Brown claims he found out about the whole thing on twitter. Brown also claims that he was often in contact with his agent Brian Overstreet and that he told Brown it would be OK if he missed the workouts. Which is pretty telling because Brown even asked if he had to show up. Brown asked because EVERY NFL team uses attendance clauses. It seemed like every summer it was being written by 49ers writers that Gore was giving up $500k to workout in Florida instead of with the 49ers. I think it was even talked about that Crabtree was losing money for staying in Texas one offseason. It usually isn't $2 million dollars they lose if they don't show up, but that should have been even more incentive to be there.

To argue that the 49ers were sneaky and underhanded is just arguing from a stance of pure ignorance and stupidity. The practice of using attendance clauses has been around for decades. Players and agents know about it, so for anyone to sit there and continue to say Baalke was being slick and the 49ers were cheating their player is just idiotic.

If you feel the 49ers are required to baby their employees and nag them over every detail of their contract then you need to stop looking at the world through selfish eyes. What makes you think the 49ers front office has time for that?? Don't you think the stadium project, negotiating new contracts, searching for FAs, scouting potential FAs from team cuts, scouting college players, public appearance PR events, and everything else they do keeps them a little busy? They have bigger fish to fry in the offseason instead of making sure players know when to show up to get paid, something that is the responsibility of the player and his agent in the first place.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The anti-American comment. He doesn't say anything anti-American, you were just making a "You silly hoser" joke. And it was well-timed considering he's the only poster that appreciates your posts.

I'm paying you a compliment man, it was funny stuff.

I'm not sure if your self-awareness is part of the village idiot schtick or just a personality deficiency on your part. I'm going to go ahead and give you credit that its the former because I would really hate to think that there is a real Toby Tyler type person running around in this world.

Anyway maybe we shouldn't derail this thread any more. I'll go ahead and let you fire a last insult at me and we can just leave it at that.

I think IMAC would freely admit to a little anti-American sentiment. Don't think he hides it, don't think he believes he should hide it. I could be wrong.