• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

HurricaneDij's Top 7 NBA Surprises Through One Month

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do agree with all the others though. Good list overall.

huskers1217

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.89
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not even going to bother with this thread.....

:pout:

so..we are like 5 games into the season now right and the mavs have won 3?

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That again is not a knock on Dipo, but you have to post a lot bigger numbers than 17 4 and 3 to break into the West all star discussion if you are a guard.

Yeah, the guard position is crazy deep, especially in the West. 17, 4 and 3 are good numbers, yet they don't even get him in the discussion.

HurricaneDij39

The Middle of Everywhere: NWI
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not sure why Oladipo is listed as a surprise. His numbers this year are actually down from last season in every major statistical category except points (16.0 - 17.3). Many were expecting him to break out this year, but it simply has not happened. The reason probably has more to do with OKC's offense and the fact that Westbrook always has the ball, but still.

Oladipo's chances of making the all star team are almost nil when you consider that he is competing for a spot with:

Westbrook
Harden
Curry
Lillard
Paul

Who are all locks to make it from the 1 and 2 spots. This does not even begin to consider the next tier of guys like Klay, McCollum, Booker, Wiggins, etc., who would certainly be ahead of Dipo too. That again is not a knock on Dipo, but you have to post a lot bigger numbers than 17 4 and 3 to break into the West all star discussion if you are a guard.

Lastly, and I only bring this up because the conversation seems to be based on stats, but you could make the case that Oladipo has actually been somewhat disappointing from a numbers standpoint. Many fantasy basketball sites had Oladipo rated a top 25 player preseason. He has not come close to producing at that level.

Considering he came off the bench for the Magic last year and many posters such as yourself predicted Westbrook to hog the ball this year are among the reasons he made this list. I don't expect him to make the all-star team this year but he should be considered a strong candidate going forward.

I don't know who had him top 25 but I know I had caught some flack ranking him #46.

HurricaneDij39

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@bksballer89 @trojanfan12 I don't know if I'd blame Wiggy for ruining this thread. Usually when I create something regarding the Heat or the Lakers it usually escalates into something ridiculous.

My thread a couple weeks ago congratulating the Lakers for their surprise start somehow got me over 100 responses, so you get the idea.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@bksballer89 @trojanfan12 I don't know if I'd blame Wiggy for ruining this thread. Usually when I create something regarding the Heat or the Lakers it usually escalates into something ridiculous.

My thread a couple weeks ago congratulating the Lakers for their surprise start somehow got me over 100 responses, so you get the idea.

Was Wiggy not the one who said the Lakers are not making any progress (Which is false)? Yes or no? He's the one escalating anything. Otherwise its been a pretty good thread.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Gotta disagree. This thread was fine until Wiggy decided to troll DJ and turn it into a shit show.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
4) Lakers.

I mean, if anyone predicted they'd be 10-10 through 20 games, that would be considered a massive win for the Lakers. They're probably one of the most fun teams to watch in the NBA after being pretty unwatchable the last few years. Luke has done a great job of empowering his players and getting their best night-in and night-out. I still expect some regression to happen, but if they use this year to get in some great development for Ingram, Russell and Randle, the Lakers are in really good shape going forward.

I'm very pleasantly surprised so far. I thought they'd be better, but I expected something closer to 6-14 or so with most of the losses being within 10 points or less. The fact that they are actually winning some of these closer games is encouraging.

Right now, I think that as the season goes on and the better teams start getting serious about playoff seeding (and figure out that the Lakers aren't going to lay down for anyone this year), the Lakers will fade.

If they are still hovering at around .500 when we are about 60 games in, then the playoffs become a possibility. But I expect that by that time, they'll be 5+ games under .500.

HurricaneDij39

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Was Wiggy not the one who said the Lakers are not making any progress (Which is false)? Yes or no? He's the one escalating anything. Otherwise its been a pretty good thread.

Pretty sure he didn't say that. I think he was pointing about the irony of Laker(s) fans bragging about a .500 start...Probably something I would have refrained from but he does have a point.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty sure he didn't say that. I think he was pointing about the irony of Laker(s) fans bragging about a .500 start...Probably something I would have refrained from but he does have a point.

When you win what? 17 games last year and 21 games 2 years ago. Why wouldn't you brag/be happy about a .500 start through 20 games? Can you blame Lakers fans for being happy and seeing a nice improvement from their team?

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Actually, he doesn't have a point. Not even close and his post was purely to troll DJ. There is nothing ironic about Lakers fans being proud of the teams effort so far.

Yes, the Lakers have a long history of winning. However, it's not as if they've never had rough seasons or gone through rebuilds in the past. So, it's not exactly unprecedented.

Back when the Dwight/Nash deal was made, everyone who knows anything about basketball, knew that the Lakers would be in deep trouble if that deal didn't work out. Clearly, it didn't.

Considering where they were when that deal blew up, what happened with the next few seasons and how few ways they had to improve the team, it's kind of remarkable that they are where they are right now, especially with how young they are. I think Lakers fans have plenty of reason to be encouraged by what we are seeing.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Considering he came off the bench for the Magic last year and many posters such as yourself predicted Westbrook to hog the ball this year are among the reasons he made this list. I don't expect him to make the all-star team this year but he should be considered a strong candidate going forward.

I don't know who had him top 25 but I know I had caught some flack ranking him #46.

Westbrook is definitely hogging the ball. His usage rate is near 40% which would be a new NBA record. If Oladipo played for a mediocre East team, he would be near all star level already. I honestly am not sure it will ever happen for him playing alongside Westbrook though.

The top 25 reference alluded to fantasy ranks based of Dipo's ability to contribute in every major statistical category. I think OKC fans were at least hoping his overall numbers would be better than last season considering he is the closest thing they have to a Durant replacement.

The team is doing fine, Oladipo is doing fine, but I am just saying his production shouldn't be a surprise. If OKC fans answered honestly, I would bet they would say they were/are hoping for a bit more.

HurricaneDij39

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Westbrook is definitely hogging the ball. His usage rate is near 40% which would be a new NBA record. If Oladipo played for a mediocre East team, he would be near all star level already. I honestly am not sure it will ever happen for him playing alongside Westbrook though.

The top 25 reference alluded to fantasy ranks based of Dipo's ability to contribute in every major statistical category. I think OKC fans were at least hoping his overall numbers would be better than last season considering he is the closest thing they have to a Durant replacement.

The team is doing fine, Oladipo is doing fine, but I am just saying his production shouldn't be a surprise. If OKC fans answered honestly, I would bet they would say they were/are hoping for a bit more.

Durant replacement???

Dude, quit being such a frontrunner. We get you have an agenda in favor of Durant/Golden State and against OKC, but it's time to recognize progress as it's being made. The guy was a considerable disappointment last year and was moved to the bench in Orlando. Most on here I've talked to said he would never mesh with ballhog Westbrook because he couldn't shoot.

The fact is he's shooting 41 percent from three and is holding his own as an all-around player. In spite of moving from pretender (Orlando) to contender (OKC), his scoring average has gone up. I'd say that's an accomplishment, don't you?

The change of environment has benefited Oladipo. Just because your boy Durant no longer wished to play in this environment doesn't mean it can't be beneficial to other NBA talent.

HurricaneDij39

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When you win what? 17 games last year and 21 games 2 years ago. Why wouldn't you brag/be happy about a .500 start through 20 games? Can you blame Lakers fans for being happy and seeing a nice improvement from their team?

And this could just as easily mean that they're going to be just mediocre enough to be even more irrelevant. Think my 2009 Pacers...I still remember quite well from the purists of our fan base jumping up and down about what a great shooting tandem we had in Danny Granger and Brandon Rush.:L

We were fortunate to nab Paul George with the #10 overall pick the following year.

HurricaneDij39

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2) How bad Indiana has been so far.

Yes I realize that Paul George has been out for quite a while now, but even with him there they were playing terrible basketball. The more alarming thing for me is that they've turned into a horrible defensive team. That might have a lot to do with the smaller lineups they run and having Jefferson, Teague and Monta out there. I had them pegged as a top 3 seed, with possibly being upwards of 2. They'd be lucky to turn into a playoff team right now.

It's been a brutal schedule and Paul George has been out, so this isn't too much of a surprise. That being said, McMillan isn't doing himself any favors with his rotation patterns. Jefferson has barely played. The more he uses Lavoy Allen and the more 35-minute starts he hands Monta Ellis, the less adequate job he is performing. I still expect the Pacers to make the playoffs, but the development of Myles Turner is also key. He looks a little skinny right now.

6) Minnesota's terrible start.

I thought Thibs, a healthy KAT and some overall improvement from the team would help them jump into the playoff conversation. Yet here they sit at 5-13. Their defense is still really bad, which is surprising because that's Thibs strength. I have a feeling they'll be big players in the trade market this year and it won't just be Rubio potentially on the move.

I hope this one could illustrate what I've been saying for years on just how overrated a coach Tom Thibodeau is. He coaches pure garbage ball. Living near Chicago, it was painful on the eyes. The Bulls had the personnel to make it effective in his five years here, but for a young and vastly talented Minnesota team looking to make their mark, this might not be a good formula for success with a coach like this. Making all this talent coexist on the offensive end of the floor is actually what's most crucial. Can't have guys taking turns going one-on-one (aka, Vogel ball)...

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Durant replacement???

Dude, quit being such a frontrunner. We get you have an agenda in favor of Durant/Golden State and against OKC, but it's time to recognize progress as it's being made. The guy was a considerable disappointment last year and was moved to the bench in Orlando. Most on here I've talked to said he would never mesh with ballhog Westbrook because he couldn't shoot.

The fact is he's shooting 41 percent from three and is holding his own as an all-around player. In spite of moving from pretender (Orlando) to contender (OKC), his scoring average has gone up. I'd say that's an accomplishment, don't you?

The change of environment has benefited Oladipo. Just because your boy Durant no longer wished to play in this environment doesn't mean it can't be beneficial to other NBA talent.

What are you taking about? My post has nothing to do with GS.

3 of OKC's top scorers from last season are gone and they combined to average 50 points per game. Finding somebody to step in and fill that scoring. Burden is a real issue for OKC. I don't get why you would interpret that as any type of GS favored comment. Oladipo needs to be able to be their second scorer.

Again, just going back to your original claim that dipo is a surprise, he is the 45th leading scorer in the league and literally every other major per game stat is down. When filling a large void, they need him to do more, IMO.

Lastly, you keep bringing up the fact that Dipo was "benched" last year. He wasn't benched. He was moved into the second unit to try and add punch of the bench. He still averaged 33 minutes a game last year which is just 2 fewer than he is averaging now. And, that move was early in the season. He started every game after 1/4.