• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Hurricane is Forming and it Could Become a Class 5

skinzfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMO there won't be an NFL season. 90 sweaty, spitting, close contact athletes grappling with each other in training camp sharing locker room facilities while CV appears to be regaining strength. Don't see it happening. not this year. Hope I'm wrong.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't be surprised to see a couple of ighly paid QBs that haven't been in the top
Okay...we'll use your '21 cap....$138.7mil...just using them as an ex. PIT has a projected '21 cap $186.8 mil...$48 mil over the cap.

The vast majority of the teams would be over the cap...I think CIN and maybe 1 or 2 other teams would be somewhat close to $138.7 mil.

What happens now for '21. In this ex. the Rooneys are holding contracts valued at $186.8 mil with a cap of $138.7 mil...it's not realistic to cut $48 mil off the payroll without cutting key players. Even if they could, the dead money would literally own their cap the next season.

Renegotiate...the owners would almost certainly approach the players about reworking contracts but the owners would probably lock the players out, or vote to go uncapped before they would lose their best players to a pandemic influenced cap.

First, the cap is legally negotiated and it can and will be held up in a court of law. The owners can't just say screw it and change it in the middle of the term, neither can the NFLPA. Like I said before, they can spread it out over the course of the entire CBA, but doing that kills the cap for the entire contract period no matter how well the league recovers. They won't renegotiate the CBA because doing that could damage the salary structure in the future. It's a sword with two razor sharp edges.

Like I explained before, teams have signed players to contracts fully expecting an average increase in the cap of 10%. Every team will have to trim if they lose money. There's no way around it, The only way around it would to be to trash the CBA and rewrite it and the players are not going to want to have to renegtiate an existing contract unless they have no other choice.

Let's say that the CBA is renegotiated immediately and the pandemic continues into 2021. Deaths and illness continue to rise and the 2020 season was played at a loss of 25%. If the cap is still in place, what does the league do? Trash the CBA for a second year in a row? If teams are losing money, why would owners be willing to lose more? To continue to trash the CBA could trash the league.

As far as cutting players is concerned, the quarterbacks will be the firsst players approached to renegotiate with the condition that if the league recovers, they'll be first to get their original contracts back. You mention "KEY" players. It's not difficult to bring the entire team together and simply say, that you need a vote to have every player take a 25% reduction in his contract to keep the entire team together and stay under the cap. You leave it up to them and tell them that if they can't agree, then players will be cut for financial reasons and that every team is going through the same problem and no one will signing players for extreme money. If anything, players will be lucky to sign for 25% of what they presently have. It's not rocket science. If I owned a team and had a 25% loss I'd be asking players to take a 30% cut to preserve the team and have some money to sign really good player who will be cut by other teams.

Every team will suffer if the players, especially the ones with huge contracts can't find a way to give up something for everyone else.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't be surprised to see a couple of ighly paid QBs that haven't been in the top

First, the cap is legally negotiated and it can and will be held up in a court of law. The owners can't just say screw it and change it in the middle of the term, neither can the NFLPA. Like I said before, they can spread it out over the course of the entire CBA, but doing that kills the cap for the entire contract period no matter how well the league recovers. They won't renegotiate the CBA because doing that could damage the salary structure in the future. It's a sword with two razor sharp edges.

Like I explained before, teams have signed players to contracts fully expecting an average increase in the cap of 10%. Every team will have to trim if they lose money. There's no way around it, The only way around it would to be to trash the CBA and rewrite it and the players are not going to want to have to renegtiate an existing contract unless they have no other choice.

Let's say that the CBA is renegotiated immediately and the pandemic continues into 2021. Deaths and illness continue to rise and the 2020 season was played at a loss of 25%. If the cap is still in place, what does the league do? Trash the CBA for a second year in a row? If teams are losing money, why would owners be willing to lose more? To continue to trash the CBA could trash the league.

As far as cutting players is concerned, the quarterbacks will be the firsst players approached to renegotiate with the condition that if the league recovers, they'll be first to get their original contracts back. You mention "KEY" players. It's not difficult to bring the entire team together and simply say, that you need a vote to have every player take a 25% reduction in his contract to keep the entire team together and stay under the cap. You leave it up to them and tell them that if they can't agree, then players will be cut for financial reasons and that every team is going through the same problem and no one will signing players for extreme money. If anything, players will be lucky to sign for 25% of what they presently have. It's not rocket science. If I owned a team and had a 25% loss I'd be asking players to take a 30% cut to preserve the team and have some money to sign really good player who will be cut by other teams.

Every team will suffer if the players, especially the ones with huge contracts can't find a way to give up something for everyone else.

Here's the bottom line...without a vaccine in place and a certainty of gate revenue as in the past, the owners and players are going to have to rework the finances of the sport. However they do it, I can't say I really care.

Rowdy

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,828.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First casualty. The hall of fame game and ceremony cancelled

GeekSportsFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As much as I miss sports, both college and pro, why push the start of seasons and risk the health of both players and fans? Is it really worth the risk of having 1, 10, or a 100 athletes either die, or suffer career ending complications from Covid to play? I get the financial impact of no sports. But the pro leagues and NCAA have enough funds to help off set the financial losses.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As much as I miss sports, both college and pro, why push the start of seasons and risk the health of both players and fans? Is it really worth the risk of having 1, 10, or a 100 athletes either die, or suffer career ending complications from Covid to play? I get the financial impact of no sports. But the pro leagues and NCAA have enough funds to help off set the financial losses.

The short answer is money.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They should just eliminate two teams (Rams and Chargers) and split the money 30 ways instead of 32.

If they needed to get rid of two more then goodbye Redskins and Texans.

28 sharing the whole instead of 32.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My opinion is that they should just cancel 2020.

Right now, this morning the NFL will take away the first 10-12 rows of seats in all stadiums to create a "Buffer Zone" between fans and players. These rows must be covered by a tarp or solid cover.

There will be no other people on the field other than "Essential Personnel." Essential is medical and team trainers etc. Water boys and Ball boys are essential. Field photographers and Cheerleaders are not. How about the head coaches' wire tenders?

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They should just eliminate two teams (Rams and Chargers) and split the money 30 ways instead of 32.

If they needed to get rid of two more then goodbye Redskins and Texans.

28 sharing the whole instead of 32.
not sure. But doesnt the rams do ok in sells? Not fans in stadium but selling of their product? That is where the NFL makes their money off of teams.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
not sure. But doesnt the rams do ok in sells? Not fans in stadium but selling of their product? That is where the NFL makes their money off of teams.
LA has the most corona and the worst fans. Awful owners too. Easy way to get rid of them.

"Hey we had to contract the league, blame China."

The NFL did great for 20 years without LA.

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LA has the most corona and the worst fans. Awful owners too. Easy way to get rid of them.

"Hey we had to contract the league, blame China."

The NFL did great for 20 years without LA.
I am no fan of the LA area. I was just saying doesnt the Rams sell merchandise? (they are not bottom 4 are they?)

psaboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just for clarification, cat 5 over class 5

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am no fan of the LA area. I was just saying doesnt the Rams sell merchandise? (they are not bottom 4 are they?)
Every midget that wanted a Donald jersey already has one.

And they just clothed a whole African village for free.

It only cost Goff and McVay their manhood.