• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Howard to Rockets?

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here is an article from Yahoo sports about what Houston wants to do to be able to sign Howard. There is no mention of sign and trade but Houston is putting together a package to move the 5th overall pick in the 2012 draft and additional draft picks. Perhaps we are in the mix? Here is the article.

The Houston Rockets are determined to trade forward Thomas Robinson – the fifth pick in the 2012 NBA draft – to create salary-cap space for the pursuit of the Los Angeles Lakers' free-agent superstar Dwight Howard, league sources told Yahoo! Sports. The Rockets have made it clear to multiple rival teams that they plan to accept the best offer to move Robinson and eliminate his $3.52 million salary for the 2013-14 season.

Without the salary of Robinson and others, the Rockets will have the space to offer Howard a maximum deal starting at approximately $20.5 million a season.
Houston is competing mainly with Dallas – and possibly Golden State – to lure Howard once free agency commences on July 1.

Howard has become increasingly intrigued with the Rockets as a possible destination, sources said. Houston's supporting cast, including James Harden and Chandler Parsons, is one of the reasons.

The Rockets are targeting teams with the cap space to absorb Robinson's contract. The Rockets are trying to cobble together a package that could include assets such as a trade exception, a draft pick or non-guaranteed contracts that they can be unloaded, sources said.

The Rockets are the second team to move Robinson since he came out of Kansas considered one of the most prepared prospects in the class. The Rockets' coaching staff prefers forwards who can space the floor with their shooting ability but the 6-foot-10 Robinson is a more traditional back-to-the-basket power forward.

His $3.5 million salary most closely matches the money that the Rockets need to unload in order to help secure a maximum contract swap for Howard.

Robinson, 22, averaged 4.8 points and 4.5 rebounds playing a combined 70 games for the Rockets and Kings. Sacramento traded him to Houston in a package that included Francisco Garcia and Tyler Honeycutt for Patrick Patterson, Cole Aldrich, Toney Douglas and cash.

I think this guy may be a beginning even though we have Earl Clark and may be would then move Pau to Atlanta for Josh Smith. May be this would bring even more draft picks and younger players. IDK.

Silas

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I, too, am one of those who would favor letting Howard walk, trade Gasol, and amnesty Kobe. It's time to get younger and quicker. If Little Buss is assigned to selling programs or popcorn, this team can get turned around in a couple of years.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea lasgop8. That article on ESPN illuminates the emerging scenario of CP3 wanting to play with Howard wherever he goes. I stated back in April after our dismissal by San Antonio, that one of the scenario's Short-Buss should be pursuing was to re-sign Howard and bring CP3 across the hall with whatever agreement he could muster.

I stated then that Short-Buss didn't appear to have the business savvy to pull it off because it would have been difficult to do for a lot of reasons but Kobe would have to be amnestied and Pau Gasol would have to be traded along with Nash. The Clippers probably would have re-signed CP3 at all costs and I don't think anyone would have traded for Nash. Pau appears to be our only bargaining chip along these lines.

So here we are several months later and now whispers of CP3 going to Atlanta or Dallas or Houston with Howard are emerging. Short-Buss just seems to be on the short end of the stick. Pun intended. The freakin dumb-ass!!!

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Last edited by a moderator:

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What a dumb tweet. Or course the Rockets are hopeful. So are some other teams. The rumor mill will be cranking until he makes his decision.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea lasgop8. That article on ESPN illuminates the emerging scenario of CP3 wanting to play with Howard wherever he goes. I stated back in April after our dismissal by San Antonio, that one of the scenario's Short-Buss should be pursuing was to re-sign Howard and bring CP3 across the hall with whatever agreement he could muster.

I stated then that Short-Buss didn't appear to have the business savvy to pull it off because it would have been difficult to do for a lot of reasons but Kobe would have to be amnestied and Pau Gasol would have to be traded along with Nash. The Clippers probably would have re-signed CP3 at all costs and I don't think anyone would have traded for Nash. Pau appears to be our only bargaining chip along these lines.

So here we are several months later and now whispers of CP3 going to Atlanta or Dallas or Houston with Howard are emerging. Short-Buss just seems to be on the short end of the stick. Pun intended. The freakin dumb-ass!!!

Passing up 30 million is pretty idiotic. He should do a sign and trade with us so at least we could get something back and he could get paid more money but he is just as you said a dumb ass!

Kold

Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've been searching the web for any updates on Kobe's recovery. I can't seem to locate anything current. Does anyone have a link or website that is current? I wonder how his recovery is coming along???

Kobe gives the updates on his twitter(https://twitter.com/kobebryant)every now and then. The latest from yesterday was "Walking in my "medical mamba" shoes made by Nike in 2 weeks with extra support for the Achilles".

Kold

Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll just say this, if Howard goes, the 2014 thing is out of the window unless our goal is to get one of the lesser stars in that class. As I explained some days ago, those restricted FA point guards that could be available WON'T be, because those teams are gonna match every penny, IF they even get to restricted free agency. That makes pairing up these free agents almost impossible as the other prizes in that class are small forwards. Either it's impossible to pair them up, or the situation that they're already in will be better than what we could give them. Basically, the "let him walk, we'll be just fine" talk is a little misguided. That line of thinking may be true if Kobe were 25, but obviously he's not. I know, we are the Lakers and we always find a way, but this thing is more serious than some realize. If Dwight walks, our quickest way back to the top imo is to try to get a top pick in 2014 through a trade(likely Pau) and/or save our cap space for 2015 where there's Rondo, Kevin Love, Lamracus Aldridge, amongst other names. You know, I really hope our FO does what I was so sure that they WOULD do if it came to this. This could all be solved if they would just do what it takes to make Dwight happy....

Last edited by a moderator:

Kold

Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and I really hate to come off as the doom and gloom guy, but I just really wanted to stress how important it is to have a superstar who's game compliments the superstar free agents that will be available in 2014.

raptorlife4

Long Time Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,850.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If anyone signs Howard to a max deal they should be fired on the spot.

His bad attitude along with questionablr injuries hasnt earned hm shit

They will regret this big time

OutlawImmortal

Certified Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think there's ever been a resigning of a superstar I've cared less about.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey Kold. I get what you are stating and you are not coming off as gloom and doom but more grounded in reality. From what is being floated out there in articles and tweets is that the FO of the Lakers have attempted to make it quite clear that they want Howard back but then they do the complete opposite of what you are suggesting of making Howard "happy" by not getting another head coach that Howard would like to play for. In fact, they are ridding themselves of all of Howard's supportive coaches like Chuck Person and the dude that just took the Charlotte Hornets head position.

Short-Buss emphatically asserts that Don'tknowi is their man and they have no aspirations of replacing him. And then Howard has made it abundantly clear that he is changing his mind and looking elsewhere because Don'tknowi is coming back and Don'tknowi is the guy that Howard is not embracing and did not get along with through the majority of his first year with the Lakers.

So, I then basically have posted that Howard gets the double message the FO is sending and obviously by definition are not attempting to make Howard happy by removing Don'tknowi. And he is looking elsewhere. So what are we to do if he bolts? The only logical conclusion left is to continue to begin the re-build process however we can within the context of having hamstrung ourselves financially and with limited trading options of an aging roster.

So, Howard is looking elsewhere and other teams are putting packages together to rid salaries and put themselves in a better position to draw Howard to their team. Short-Buss is doing nothing of any substance and Howard is leaning in the direction of leaving because Short-Buss refuses to get a better coach.

Basically we are going to watch Howard walk because the FO office is not choosing a course that favors keeping Howard on a lot of levels and when Howard know this. When he goes, we then have set into motion the dynamic that a "quick" return to prominence will probably go by the wayside as well. This is because Short-Buss and Don'tknowi will try to build a championship team when neither of them have the experience to pull it off because the financial obligations to an aging roster have hamstrung their efforts before they even get the process rolling.

bluepigpen

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:agree:Shorty has put the Lakers and their fans in a place that we have seldom seen, non productive years ahead, no credibility from management and a coach that can't even spell defense:lame:

Kold

Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well stated Retro. I fully agree that if Howard walks, we need to somewhat rebuild. Try to trade Pau(and maybe someone else) to get a top pick in that loaded 2014 draft and hey maybe we can get another piece as well. Then I say we should save our cap space for 2015. I say this because nothing irks me more then when teams strike out on a big free agency period and they just hand out big contracts to what's left. The team would still be competitive this year but if we went through with looking toward the future, this year would basically be Kobe's farewell tour. In 2014, I don't think we draw the big free agents, so as that year would be a waste, again I say keep that cap space and try to hit big in 2015. All of this thinking goes out of the window if Dwight stays, or if Mitch pulls another one of those "no way that happened" trades.

Kold

Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep blue, we'll just have to accept that we won't be near the top every year. We can still be competitive next year however.

Black Adam

Cowards WILL BE cowards..
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
been listening to ESPN the last couple of days on it. seems more and more likely that Howard's going to Houston. too bad, really. but not a whole lot to be done for it...

course with the rumors i'm hearing about Paul it may be time to try and go after him...

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea ChiefsLakers. The rumors about CP3 have been flying on a low-grade level for some time but Shorty has done nothing to either keep Howard or draw CP3 across the hall and complete the transaction that the steaming pile of whale krap that is the commish who meddled in things he should not have destroyed in the first place.

Dr Buss would have been all over this one. I am convinced he would have hired Shaw after PJ left and he would be signing Howard before the end of the season as well inducing CP3 to want to play with the Lakers!! He certainly would not have done nothing like this idiot of a son. And Shaw never would have put Kobe in the position to possibly end Kobe's career prematurely with coaching decisions that boggle the mind. Of course all of this is largely conjecture on my part but I do know one thing for sure.

One definition of insanity is to continue to do the same behavior and expect different results. Shorty has done nothing of substance except state that Dont'knowi is his guy. He has done nothing to try to re-build this franchise. And for what purpose? Nobody knows except that all of his inactivity induces the comparison that this owner lives in a land of dissociation that is based in fear as to not appear incompetent when by definition his incompetence has become his trademark. There is an article on ESPN stating the 10 moves that have landed the Lakers in their present state of disarray and stupidity.

One of the 10 moves was what Short Buss did getting rid of nearly 20-longtime employees of the lakers including the assistant GM, who to this day is still baffled, nearly all of the scouting department, and many of the basketball and business associates that helped make the Lakers great.

For what reason, nobody, including his sister and PJ, can understand. So, I think you are right along with Blue and Kold, that we are going to be competitive but we are going to languish in mediocrity for the foreseeable future.

Black Adam

Cowards WILL BE cowards..
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
k, MORE from the Howard camp. when asked what he thought of D'Antoni, D12 said "he's a great person". when asked if he's a great COACH, he responded, "He's a great person". i think the writing's on the wall, fellas...