• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

How underrated is Demar DeRozan?

HurricaneDij39

The Middle of Everywhere: NWI
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is a kid who grew up in Southern California and was thrust into several losing seasons in a cold-weather city.

In the process, DeRozan didn't bitch, he didn't moan, he didn't demand things his way. Instead, he learned from the game, had grown up, and made others around him better over the years. This is a role model, kids.

If Cleveland doesn't win the east, Toronto is my sleeper pick to do so. They've had the best record in the East since the start of the new year. Only difference is this season they won't have to chase the Heat and Pacers all season long. The Raptors also have the best GM in basketball (Masai Ujiri) and it isn't close. His time in Denver is a big reason I'm a Nuggets fan today.

As for the Bulls and their place in the Eastern Conference, I'm not as high on them as most others. I think they're given the benefit of Jordan's legacy a lot in the national media. Before I see several obsessive Derrick Rose threads again this winter as I have the past three seasons both on here as well as CBS, I can tell you that he will get hurt again to some extent. Living near Chicago, I know there aren't many sure things in life. Though death, taxes, and an injury-riddled Tom Thibodeau team are among the exceptions.

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, he might not get as much shine as some other guys.

But, I don't think he's underrated.

Or, maybe I should say he's not underVALUED.

He is a 2 time Allstar on a 4yr/40-46mil contract which seemed a tad to rich at the time he signed it.

But, he took a huge step forward last year.

Going from a career average of 16ppg to 22 in the regular Season and 24 in the postseason is awesome.

A year ago, the Clippers and Thunder had the chance to trade for him.

I'm sure both teams are kicking themselves in the ass right now for not pulling the trigger.

With that being said, If Curry doesn't complain about his contract or carrying a team across the finish line, nobody else should either.

As for the East:

1. Bulls

2. Cavs

3. Wiz

4. Heat

5. Hornets

6. Raps

Last edited by a moderator:

HurricaneDij39

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is a kid who grew up in Southern California and was thrust into several losing seasons in a cold-weather city.

In the process, DeRozan didn't bitch, he didn't moan, he didn't demand things his way. Instead, he learned from the game, had grown up, and made others around him better over the years. This is a role model, kids.

If Cleveland doesn't win the east, Toronto is my sleeper pick to do so. They've had the best record in the East since the start of the new year. Only difference is this season they won't have to chase the Heat and Pacers all season long. The Raptors also have the best GM in basketball (Masai Ujiri) and it isn't close. His time in Denver is a big reason I'm a Nuggets fan today.

As for the Bulls and their place in the Eastern Conference, I'm not as high on them as most others. I think they're given the benefit of Jordan's legacy a lot in the national media. Before I see several obsessive Derrick Rose threads again this winter as I have the past three seasons both on here as well as CBS, I can tell you that he will get hurt again to some extent. Living near Chicago, I know there aren't many sure things in life. Though death, taxes, and an injury-riddled Tom Thibodeau team are among the exceptions.

My point here with this bolded statement that Rose has drawn obsessive hate on multiple forums for being hurt the last three seasons, but that's what's destined to happen when a reckless, attack-the-basket player plays for a hyperactive coach.

As for the East:

1. Bulls

2. Cavs

3. Wiz

4. Heat

5. Hornets

6. Raps

I'd like to hear your explaination here. Wiz are way too high on your list. While I'm buying Wall's star potential, I'm not a Bradley Beal fan at all. Very jumper-happy. As a prospect, he's always drawn comparisons to Ray Allen, but watching him in the Playoffs against my Pacers, I can honestly say he's more of a jump-shooter than Ray Allen ever was. His poor shot selection lost the entire series for them.

Charlotte is still going to be a low-seed playoff team. While I'm a fan of both players, it's going to take some time for ball-dominant Kemba and Lance Stephenson to adjust to one another. They also have no big men outside of Big Al...

podsox

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
he will get his props if he continues to improve like he did last season

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My point here with this bolded statement that Rose has drawn obsessive hate on multiple forums for being hurt the last three seasons, but that's what's destined to happen when a reckless, attack-the-basket player plays for a hyperactive coach.

I'd like to hear your explaination here. Wiz are way too high on your list. While I'm buying Wall's star potential, I'm not a Bradley Beal fan at all. Very jumper-happy. As a prospect, he's always drawn comparisons to Ray Allen, but watching him in the Playoffs against my Pacers, I can honestly say he's more of a jump-shooter than Ray Allen ever was. His poor shot selection lost the entire series for them.

Charlotte is still going to be a low-seed playoff team. While I'm a fan of both players, it's going to take some time for ball-dominant Kemba and Lance Stephenson to adjust to one another. They also have no big men outside of Big Al...

Sure, I will elaborate.

Wiz Kids

Outside of Curry/Thompson, I think the Wiz will have the best backcourt in the NBA. No knock on Lowry and DeRozan, I just think the Wizard players have a much higher ceiling.

I am the complete opposite when it comes to Beal.

STUD.

They lost Ariza. But, they gained Pierce who is a Vet that still has gas left in the tank and can still be an asset, especially in late game situations.

Nene is Healthy, Gortat is healthy * even though his contract is 2 seasons too long, imo*, Porter is healthy and should be able to contribute this Season.

They actually have some guys on the bench that can be rotation players in Old Man Andre Miller, Glen Rice Jr., Chris Humphries, Martell Webster * if healthy* and the beforementioned Porter.

Plus, I think they underachieved last Season.

Hornets

There were 4 flatout HEISTS, as far as draft picks are concerned this Summer.

Rodney Hood to Utah, Jordan Clarkson to the Lakers, Cleanthony Early to the Knicks and Noah Vonleh to the Hornets.

Vonleh will take a few years to pan out. But, he will be Chris Bosh-lite.

PJ Hairston is ready now.

* if he can stay out of prison*:doh:

The Hornets are gonna surprise.

I have no earthly idea who will start at PF now that McRoberts is gone.

Vonleh is not ready, Bismack is a bust.

So, process of elimination?

Marvin Williams who was a great signing as a Sub, not sure about as a starter.

Still, Al Jefferson, Kemba, Lance, Kidd-Gilchrist are enough for me to have them top 6.

* remember I forgot to list Atlanta *

They have some decent guys off the bench in Gary Neal, Zeller, Hairston, Gerald Henderson which should be enough to not blow every lead as soon as the Starters go to the bench.

I actually like their roster a lot more than I like the Heat, Raptors, and Hawks.

But, those other teams have tons of experience in the ways of winning * Historically making the playoffs* and the Barfcraps are one year wonders.

Gotta crawl before you walk:noidea:.

Last edited by a moderator:

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Properly rated

HurricaneDij39

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wiz Kids

Outside of Curry/Thompson, I think the Wiz will have the best backcourt in the NBA. No knock on Lowry and DeRozan, I just think the Wizard players have a much higher ceiling.

STUD.

Uh, why? And how are they the best backcourt in the NBA? I think Lowry/DeRozan proved last year that they were more diverse than Wall/Beal.

They lost Ariza. But, they gained Pierce who is a Vet that still has gas left in the tank and can still be an asset, especially in late game situations.

Nene is Healthy, Gortat is healthy * even though his contract is 2 seasons too long, imo*, Porter is healthy and should be able to contribute this Season.

They actually have some guys on the bench that can be rotation players in Old Man Andre Miller, Glen Rice Jr., Chris Humphries, Martell Webster * if healthy* and the beforementioned Porter.

I think the Pierce signing shows what kind of confidence, or lack thereof, they have in Porter. They had to let Ariza go due to salary constraints, but they lose a lot of athleticism with Pierce instead of him. Humphries was a good addition, Miller is on steady decline I would know being a Nuggets fan.

Still, Al Jefferson, Kemba, Lance, Kidd-Gilchrist are enough for me to have them top 6.

Kidd-Gillchrest? Really? From what I've seen he's been a big disappointment. You don't even have to guard that guy on offense. May be the worst perimeter outside shooter in the entire league, and that's even after working at it. Wouldn't be a surprise if they went with a small lineup with Henderson and Stephenson.

They have some decent guys off the bench in Gary Neal, Zeller, Hairston, Gerald Henderson which should be enough to not blow every lead as soon as the Starters go to the bench.

Again, Henderson may be able to retain his staring role. The other other player on this list that would make a contender's rotation is Gary Neal, who's really the only long-range threat on the entire team. And with Vonleh being as raw as he is, Big Al is the only true big man on their roster.

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wiz Kids

STUD.

Uh, why? And how are they the best backcourt in the NBA? I think Lowry/DeRozan proved last year that they were more diverse than Wall/Beal.

I think the Pierce signing shows what kind of confidence, or lack thereof, they have in Porter. They had to let Ariza go due to salary constraints, but they lose a lot of athleticism with Pierce instead of him. Humphries was a good addition, Miller is on steady decline I would know being a Nuggets fan.

Kidd-Gillchrest? Really? From what I've seen he's been a big disappointment. You don't even have to guard that guy on offense. May be the worst perimeter outside shooter in the entire league, and that's even after working at it. Wouldn't be a surprise if they went with a small lineup with Henderson and Stephenson.

Again, Henderson may be able to retain his staring role. The other other player on this list that would make a contender's rotation is Gary Neal, who's really the only long-range threat on the entire team. And with Vonleh being as raw as he is, Big Al is the only true big man on their roster.

Statistically, you are absolutely correct.

Maybe I wasn't clear that I am basing my opinion on " potential " for the upcoming Season.

Again, I think Beal/Wall WILL BE, not are currently, the best backcourt in the NbA outside of Curry/Thompson.

I said this in my initial statement. But after reading it, I can see how you were under the impression that I meant now.

Back to the Original topic...

I think the East will be top heavy again.

Chicago and the Cavs will duke it out for the #1 seed and are clearly the class of the division.

But, there is little, to no, separation between teams 3-8.

An argument can be made, based on rosters, that the Wiz, Hornets, Hawks, Heat, Raps, Brooklyn could all finish 3rd or miss the playoffs entirely:noidea:.

Clearly, both of our opinions are based on preference.

I prefer the Wiz roster while you think the Raps are the darkhorse.

We will find out in a few months who was right.

HurricaneDij39

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The word underrated gets tossed around way too much..

It probably is, but I think it's saying something how far he's come the last five years from a raw, southern California kid into a star in a cold-weather city.

raptorlife4

Long Time Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,850.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ill be a scapegoat here ND POST

Derozan is about to breakout. He did last year already

HurricaneDij39

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
UPDATE:

He had some real clunker games in Games 1 and 2 in his series with the Cavs this year, and that will lead some to question if he's clutch, and rightfully so.

That being said, three years after this thread and he still probably doesn't get the credit he deserves as one of the game's top shooting guards. As fans most of us are enamored by glitz, glamour, and titles, but DeRozan should be given tremendous credit for the fact that he grew up in Southern California and is quite content to spend his entire professional career up in icy (if Toronto can be called that) Canada.

Word is that he didn't consider any other team in 2016 free agency.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
UPDATE:

He had some real clunker games in Games 1 and 2 in his series with the Cavs this year, and that will lead some to question if he's clutch, and rightfully so.

That being said, three years after this thread and he still probably doesn't get the credit he deserves as one of the game's top shooting guards. As fans most of us are enamored by glitz, glamour, and titles, but DeRozan should be given tremendous credit for the fact that he grew up in Southern California and is quite content to spend his entire professional career up in icy (if Toronto can be called that) Canada.

Word is that he didn't consider any other team in 2016 free agency.

He's a midrange shooter in a league infatuated with the 3. Unless that changes, he'll always be rated lower.

I wouldn't give credit for staying in Toronto, it's a beautiful city and a huge market. Toronto weather isn't much different from NY.