• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

How to Fix College Football

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're missing the point. No computer can tell us which team is better either. I watch college football and I think that the SEC is the premier conference. I watch college basketball and I think the ACC is the best conference. IMO, the four best teams are in order: Ohio State, Clemson, Georgia and LSU. I also THINK (just an opinion) that those four are significantly better than the rest. I think Oklahoma is way overrated. The Big12 is just not as good as the big10 or the SEC and that Oklahoma would finish outside the top 3 or 4 in either league.

My prediction for the CFP:

#1Ohio State beats #4LSU
#2Clemson loses to #3Georgia

#1Ohio State beat #3 Georgia.

I really think that there are only three teams with a chance, and LSU is not one of them. I would not be shocked if Georgia or Clemson won it all over Ohio State.
Might have been a time earlier in millenium and into this decade SEC was clearly better, but that is not the case past few years for sure. Other than "because, SEC" you have no real basis for your claims.

what makes you so sure LSU, UGA, Bama, auburn and UF are better than OSU, Wisky, PSU, UM and Minnesota?

blazer prophet

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're missing the point. No computer can tell us which team is better either. I watch college football and I think that the SEC is the premier conference. I watch college basketball and I think the ACC is the best conference. IMO, the four best teams are in order: Ohio State, Clemson, Georgia and LSU. I also THINK (just an opinion) that those four are significantly better than the rest. I think Oklahoma is way overrated. The Big12 is just not as good as the big10 or the SEC and that Oklahoma would finish outside the top 3 or 4 in either league.

My prediction for the CFP:

#1Ohio State beats #4LSU
#2Clemson loses to #3Georgia

#1Ohio State beat #3 Georgia.

I really think that there are only three teams with a chance, and LSU is not one of them. I would not be shocked if Georgia or Clemson won it all over Ohio State.

So why even play a tournament and just crown the team we "think" looks best?

Rolltide94

Hoopla Cash
$ 119.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Those who do it lack the intellectual capabilities digest information and articulate their butthurt.

#UCFacts

Nobody will every accuse you of not articulating your butthurt.

gotigersgo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Might have been a time earlier in millenium and into this decade SEC was clearly better, but that is not the case past few years for sure. Other than "because, SEC" you have no real basis for your claims.

what makes you so sure LSU, UGA, Bama, auburn and UF are better than OSU, Wisky, PSU, UM and Minnesota?

I'm not sure. I think they are all great teams. The bottom line is that college football is not broken. LSU and Georgia are the best teams in the SEC this year,and they will play for a championship tomorrow. Ohio State will play Wisconsin for a championship tomorrow. Oklahoma and Baylor...yada...

Those games matter to those programs regardless of who gets into the CFP.

As far as determining a National Champ, I think the committee should pick the best four teams regardless of conference affiliation and conference championships. If Utah or Oklahoma gets in, I'm actually fine with that. I don't think either is one of the top 4, but my opinion doesn't count. I think the top 4 teams are the current top 4. I'll be proven wrong tomorrow if Georgia doesn't beat LSU, but I actually think that Georgia is the best team.

CJH9972

Rivals' DTP2
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In the NFL in weeks 16 and 17, if a team has a big lead and possibly a bye you will see them rest starters...that's what could happen in CFB. Every game should matter. Now, of course you will have teams that are undefeated going into a CCG and them still possibly making the playoffs but those are special situations. You expand and there are more games that are less meaningful. Also, even less incentive to schedule big OOC games bc your resume can be average and you can still get in. Clemson could schedule the 150th ranked OOC, play in their shitty conference and skate through the regular season and still easily make the playoffs without a blink. There are too many negatives to expanding from 4 to 8 when 4 is without a doubt the better format at this point.

Teams are able to rest starters in the NFL more often because of conference/division format than because of the number of playoff teams.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
8 team playoff my ass. Guess what. Utah had a playoff game last night. They lost. Baylor and Oklahoma have a playoff game today. Georgia has a playoff game today. Stop with your stupidity.

CJH9972

Rivals' DTP2
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So they would have no problem with injuries in games that are meaningless? The SEC now uses cupcakes before rivalry weekend to give them rest before those big games. In other words, having a tough opponent that week before would be tougher on them for the games that matter.

We have imperial evidence that teams will in fact go with fluff to save energy for games that matter. This isn't wild opinion or speculation. It exists right now. No reason to believe it wouldn't get worse when they are even less relevant than they are now.

Teams don't schedule strong now because there is no incentive. That isn't the fault of any size playoff. It is because the method used to determine playoff teams encourages scheduling not to lose.

BamaDude

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We have imperial evidence that teams will in fact go with fluff to save energy for games that matter. This isn't wild opinion or speculation. It exists right now. No reason to believe it wouldn't get worse when they are even less relevant than they are now.

What empire are you referring to that produced this evidence? The reign of the SEC and ACC over college football for 13 of the last 14 years? The word "imperial" is a reference to empires, after all.

Perhaps you meant to use the word, "empirical," which is based on conclusions drawn from observation?

At any rate, the top teams in the SEC won't get quite as much rest towards the end of next season. There will be no FCS schools the week prior to rivalry week for Alabama, Auburn, LSU, Georgia, Florida, or Texas A&M.

Alabama's final four regular season games will be at LSU, home vs UT-Martin, home vs Texas A&M, and home vs Auburn. They start the season vs USC Jerry World in Arlington, Texas. They then play Georgia St. before hosting the Georgia Bulldogs in Week 3.

Auburn & Florida have borrowed the Pac-12 model of starting the season with an FCS school, as the Tigers kick off against Alcorn St. & the Gators with Eastern Washington. Florida's final five games are vs Georgia in Jacksonville, at Vanderbilt, home against Missouri & New Mexico St., then at Florida St. The second week of the season sees Auburn facing North Carolina in Atlanta. The end of the season features consecutive home games versus Arkansas, UMass & LSU before a trip to play Alabama in Tuscaloosa.

Georgia starts with a Monday night game vs Virginia in Atlanta, hosts East Tennessee St. five days later, then travels to Alabama. The Bulldogs final five games are against Florida in Jacksonville, at South Carolina, home vs Tennessee, at Kentucky, then home against Georgia Tech.

LSU's first two games are at home vs UT-San Antonio & the Texas Longhorns. They take on FCS Nicholls St. on October 3rd., sandwiched between a home game vs Ole Miss and a road trip to Gainesville to face Florida. They close the season with home games vs Alabama and South Carolina and road trips to Auburn & Texas A&M. The Aggies start with consecutive home games vs Abilene Christian, North Texas & Colorado. They finish by hosting Ole Miss and Vanderbilt, playing at Auburn, and at home against LSU.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What empire are you referring to that produced this evidence? The reign of the SEC and ACC over college football for 13 of the last 14 years? The word "imperial" is a reference to empires, after all.

Perhaps you meant to use the word, "empirical," which is based on conclusions drawn from observation?

At any rate, the top teams in the SEC won't get quite as much rest towards the end of next season. There will be no FCS schools the week prior to rivalry week for Alabama, Auburn, LSU, Georgia, Florida, or Texas A&M.

Alabama's final four regular season games will be at LSU, home vs UT-Martin, home vs Texas A&M, and home vs Auburn. They start the season vs USC Jerry World in Arlington, Texas. They then play Georgia St. before hosting the Georgia Bulldogs in Week 3.

Auburn & Florida have borrowed the Pac-12 model of starting the season with an FCS school, as the Tigers kick off against Alcorn St. & the Gators with Eastern Washington. Florida's final five games are vs Georgia in Jacksonville, at Vanderbilt, home against Missouri & New Mexico St., then at Florida St. The second week of the season sees Auburn facing North Carolina in Atlanta. The end of the season features consecutive home games versus Arkansas, UMass & LSU before a trip to play Alabama in Tuscaloosa.

Georgia starts with a Monday night game vs Virginia in Atlanta, hosts East Tennessee St. five days later, then travels to Alabama. The Bulldogs final five games are against Florida in Jacksonville, at South Carolina, home vs Tennessee, at Kentucky, then home against Georgia Tech.

LSU's first two games are at home vs UT-San Antonio & the Texas Longhorns. They take on FCS Nicholls St. on October 3rd., sandwiched between a home game vs Ole Miss and a road trip to Gainesville to face Florida. They close the season with home games vs Alabama and South Carolina and road trips to Auburn & Texas A&M. The Aggies start with consecutive home games vs Abilene Christian, North Texas & Colorado. They finish by hosting Ole Miss and Vanderbilt, playing at Auburn, and at home against LSU.
Gotta love fuckwit grammar nazis and their superiority complex. :L You know full well most of the time mistakes are due to people posting from phones with autocorrect and just not enough time to proof read, but you go ahead and try to act like you are perfect or somehow smarter for it.

So bama moved their FCS game one week earlier and that's proof of what exactly? Bye week, LSU, FCS fluff game, TAMU and Auburn. So their fluffy bullshit late season FCS game is one week earlier. You wasted a lot of effort to prove nothing. Sure, Georgia can afford to not take a break before their 'rival' game because GT is a complete joke. Still, over the last 10 seasons or so they either have kentucky or a shitstain before that last game. Every single time. Their pattern is entirely intact.

While a couple of teams move it early next year, they are right back to it the following season so this amounts to a scheduling anomaly, not a change/trend. In '21 Auburn has bama state on 11/20. Mercer is TBD for Bama. Georgia has Charleston Southern on 11/20.

We can keep going if you like. It's really not necessary. The point is fully proven.

SEC teams right now are not punished for playing both really bad teams late, or 3 of their 4 alloted OOC games against really subpar opponents. They feel they get enough resume from their conference schedule and perhaps one decent to good test from the 4 games they control.

It stands to reason if they are not treated as necessary to pad their resume now, that it would only continue if there was an auto bid system put in place where they are entirely irrelevant for getting into the playoffs.

The SEC are masters of using byes and garbage games strategically. Going to an auto bid system would likely have other conferences following that model to further improve their chances of making it out of their conference games unscathed.

There isn't a thing you posted here that counters that.

Last edited:

Moab

Hoopla Cash
$ 260.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did you guys happen to notice the top 8 in the CFP rankings are playing in their conference championship games? Are you sure we need more?

HuskerOC

Huskers 24/7 365
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did you guys happen to notice the top 8 in the CFP rankings are playing in their conference championship games? Are you sure we need more?

Bingo.

This is like the 1st round of the NFL playoffs, or an extended 8 to 12 team playoff.

Can't make it to your conference championship game? Tough shits. Can't win your conference championship game, well too bad, you fucking lost when it really mattered.

Format gives us a great and meaningful regular season along with top end championship play in the end for teams that truly have earned their way in.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bingo.

This is like the 1st round of the NFL playoffs, or an extended 8 to 12 team playoff.

Can't make it to your conference championship game? Tough shits. Can't win your conference championship game, well too bad, you fucking lost when it really mattered.

Format gives us a great and meaningful regular season along with top end championship play in the end for teams that truly have earned their way in.
fabulous......but what if UGA beats LSU? Good chance LSU would lose this so-called "playoff game" and still "advance". while maybe Oklahoma would win and be sent to a bowl.

and, no, I am not saying it's a must LSU should be out if they lose. Just that this is not a true playoff in the CCGs.

HuskerOC

Huskers 24/7 365
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
fabulous......but what if UGA beats LSU? Good chance LSU would lose this so-called "playoff game" and still "advance". while maybe Oklahoma would win and be sent to a bowl.

and, no, I am not saying it's a must LSU should be out if they lose. Just that this is not a true playoff in the CCGs.

Soooo..., you want a playoff, but you don't want a playoff?

Fucking fantastic.

It is the post-season. Last I knew, you lose you are out.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Soooo..., you want a playoff, but you don't want a playoff?

Fucking fantastic.

It is the post-season. Last I knew, you lose you are out.
what part of this are you not following? If LSU (or OSU) loses do you think they will be out?

HuskerOC

Huskers 24/7 365
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
what part of this are you not following? If LSU (or OSU) loses do you think they will be out?

Doesn't matter a shit what you or I 'think'.

I'd vote for the teams that actually win this weekend, and the teams I think are the 4 best teams that have won their conference.

That is what I think.[/QUOTE]

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Doesn't matter a shit what you or I 'think'.

I'd vote for the teams that actually win this weekend, and the teams I think are the 4 best teams that have won their conference.

That is what I think.
[/QUOTE]
But if they lose and still get in so much for CCGs being de facto playoff games, right?

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The 'best' team doesn't always win. This is a fact. Really applies to any sport.

Our current system doesn't pretend to care about only one particular game or only look at head to head. I get that is a problem for some of you. Their goal is to try and look past win/loss to pick their worthy teams. It's never going to please everyone.

CJH9972

Rivals' DTP2
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The 'best' team doesn't always win. This is a fact. Really applies to any sport.

Our current system doesn't pretend to care about only one particular game or only look at head to head. I get that is a problem for some of you. Their goal is to try and look past win/loss to pick their worthy teams. It's never going to please everyone.

It makes no sense to look past the results on the field. That the best team doesn't always win is an argument against the idea that the best team should be favored simply because people think it is the best team.