• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

how to become a perenial contender

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
it can be argued that those were shanny picks

Is it just me, or is it strange that Dean spent two years railing that we never should have even picked Murphy or Long. And in fact was of the mind set that Murphy should be cut and he would find it amusing if Murphy lost his roster spot to another player....

Yet now we are supposed to some how pat Bruce in the back for taking two players that we never would have had if Dean had his way??

#Hedgingthebet

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is it just me, or is it strange that Dean spent two years railing that we never should have even picked Murphy or Long. And in fact was of the mind set that Murphy should be cut and he would find it amusing if Murphy lost his roster spot to another player....

Yet now we are supposed to some how pat Bruce in the back for taking two players that we never would have had if Dean had his way??

#Hedgingthebet

I just stated his first draft. You said he done nothing right. What about Moses? Funny you have no comeback for that.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course you are wrong. that was a stupid statement. The points that I agrued on here especially the Moses one has benefited the team and my prediction was right. In never routed against Murphy or Long even though I would of drafted other players. what an asshole you are.
BULL SHIT dean you have ridden those picks since they were made . period . we were right about moses he got picked in round 3 as he should have and we still got murphy

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BULL SHIT dean you have ridden those picks since they were made . period . we were right about moses he got picked in round 3 as he should have and we still got murphy

ya I debated them for other players. You guys bashed Moses. cmon skinsdad take a pill. you don't even know when Gruden got hired.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just stated his first draft. You said he done nothing right. What about Moses? Funny you have no comeback for that.

Might be because we disagree on exactly how good Moses is. You seem to think he is all world. I think he is slightly above average. Basically our version of Doug Free.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ya I debated them for other players. You guys bashed Moses. cmon skinsdad take a pill. you don't even know when Gruden got hired.
dean i have forgot more football then you will ever know

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Might be because we disagree on exactly how good Moses is. You seem to think he is all world. I think he is slightly above average. Basically our version of Doug Free.

Did Doug Free see that contract?

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did Doug Free see that contract?

Actually, yes he did. At some point Doug Free was one of the highest paid RT in the NFL. The year he got that contract, Dallas was considering cutting him though.

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually, yes he did. At some point Doug Free was one of the highest paid RT in the NFL. The year he got that contract, Dallas was considering cutting him though.

I don't remember that.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't remember that.

In 2011 Free signed a 4 year Extention worth $20M with $14.6M guaranteed. Which would roughly translate to a 2017 contract the likes of what Moses got. He then signed a new contract in 2015 Worth $15M with $6M guaranteed.

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In 2011 Free signed a 4 year Extention worth $20M with $14.6M guaranteed. Which would roughly translate to a 2017 contract the likes of what Moses got. He then signed a new contract in 2015 Worth $15M with $6M guaranteed.

he was the highest paid in 2011?

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But he was solid for them.

Dude in 2012 it was seriously being considered to release Free. And again sure he was SOLID, but he was not all world as you have tried to paint Moses.

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dean has selective amnesia. I remember the Free debacle vividly because we all loved that move by Dallas.

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dean has selective amnesia. I remember the Free debacle vividly because we all loved that move by Dallas.

excuse me for not remembering a 2011 Dallas signing. gk you want to donate to the Dean Fund?

rtfgbfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 700.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i believe there are several things needed to reach this goal . But before i get into that i want to tell you where i think we stand . Like it or not we are in year 3 of a rebuild .

that being said this should be the year that the gathering of players , coaches , scouts should be over and all should be paying dividends .

what jay gruden inherited was a slow weak , marginally talented squad with a broken qb and turmoil on the feild and off it

so i decided to look at some pro football dynasties and see what traits they had . i will start with the top 3 things

1) strong leadership top to bottom
2) multiple corp players
3) stability at qb

next they have the following
4) chemistry
5) FO stability
6)good scouting
7) value placed on their draft picks
8) move on from older players early rather then later

now lets see what we have

A) strong leadership i think we have a good HC who is a players coach , and has led us to 2 back to back winning seasons . does he have warts ? sure but overall he has provided stability at the position . the staff now has the top 2 LOS guys in the sport . BA and DS on the other hand have not . both have problems with patience and also telling the truth . you cant be an effective leader if you have integrity issues . so for us to reach the next level those 2 things need to change

B) multiple core players , i think we are set here with KC, Trent , sherf , reed crowder on offense and with allen RK cravens , norman BB on defense . there are potential risers in Zack brown Fuller DJS on defense and prior , kelly/perine dox on offense . This team talent wise is on the rise

C) stability at QB well for the past 20 plus years we have not had stability there . Now we have our chance to have it . KC has played less then half his career . he is a top 100 player . he has shown he can lead this team . yes he still has warts but he can fix most of them . look we can let him walk but dont kid yourself colt mccoy is a career BU and drafting a rookie means the much needed stability at the most important position gets pushed back for a few years . you can do it but remember the word patience . not a word most of you want to hear

D) chemistry This is kind of tricky because we are breaking in 2 new starting WRs and perhaps a RB on offense . on defense we most likely will have 2 new starting safeties 3 d/lineman a new ILB so about halt the defense is new . however if we are right on most of these guys then chemistry will be there

E) FO stability . we havent had much of that and egos from our top 2 guys cost us our GM . its done and that ship has sailed but the next hire is a big one because this is the major thing that is killing this team from getting good people . they also need patience . coming into this off season we should have been building up for a good FA signing period and looking at the draft . Instead a bunch of uneeded turmoil was what we got . the CSI , secret squirel intrigues need to go and working as a unit to be top priority

F) good scouting we have in my opinion been pretty good here . we have gotten younger , stronger faster . Now we have to get smarter and keep drafting good talent but also we need to keep drafting good leaders , to be honest i think this years draft was a very good one . only one real reach , maybe 2

G) value our draft picks , the last few years we have done just that . we traded down and got more picks . an occasional trade up (ie roulliers pick ) is good . however dont gut a draft for one player. the player could be good but so what if you gutted several drafts to get him ? this is how you get old and slow . Limit FA , use it to retain core players and occasionally hit a norman or Djax when they become available . stay away from expensive FA's most dont pan out unless you get a couple of no brainers .

H) Move on from older players . dont hang on to guys that are past there prime . recognize it and move on . as i see it we have 2 guys like that D hall and lavou . time for some younger blood

Now for a few odds and ends . always pick at least one o/lineman and one d/lineman in every draft . some will make it some wont but once you lose the LOS your contender status will soon follow

this is the way to build a contender . now look at it and see if some of the roster moves you want to make work towards this outline . if it doesnt then most likely its a bad short and long term goal

I didn't read your entire post (not implying I think you are wrong), but I think we are on the same page. I'll just give you my top 3 based on my opinion of today's NFL.

1. Franchise QB. (This has to be the starting point IMO. Without him good luck.)

2. Established GM or whatever a franchise designates to be it's final decider regarding personnel.

3. This fits along with #2 for me. Your top draft/personnel man HAS to stick to his guns regarding the draft and free agents. I believe he needs to identify his franchise QB and then go from there. He also has to be given at least 3 years IMO to begin showing progress. I favor draft and develop because football is a young man's game but if a personnel man walks into a situation such as Denver a couple years ago I wouldn't be totally opposed going the FA route I guess (as long as he didn't damage the long-term future of the franchise).

Buffalo_Nickel_1

Hoopla Cash
$ 268.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually we have 10M in dead cap space. And again worrying about this is a joke, because teams fluctuate on how muck they carry. The Patriots carried $17M in dead cap space last year and they won the Super Bowl. The Falcons carried $25M and made the Super Bowl.

So what went wrong there???
um it helps to have the greastes qb in the history of the nfl